My GB Deck - First to Suggest a Side Deck 4 me gets 2 rep!

One of the best examples of this trend comes from 2008 Indianapolis SJC' date=' won by Robert Ackerman (second place at World Championship 2008). His interesting build of Gladiator Beasts packed 3 Royal Oppression in the side deck. Why? Because the field was infested with Gladiator Beast decks, and Royal Oppression could shut down their power plays. It wasn’t useless against other decks either: DAD builds were also severely hurt, and Lightsworn had a harder time going off, although admittedly Lyla makes the job easier for them. The strategy behind the use of Royal Oppression is quite interesting. It’s obvious Royal Oppression is a double-edged sword. It can hurt you as a Gladiator Beast duelist a lot more than it can hurt your opponent. The key here is timing. You need to activate Royal Oppression when it’s going to hurt your opponent the most. For instance, when your opponent is building up for a Gyzarus or Heraklinos play. Oppression often let Ackerman get his opponent’s field empty, and then all he had to do was summon a Gladiator Beast monster like Laquari to suddenly be in a superior position: his opponent wouldn’t be able to normal summon anything to get over Laquari. It was also a good card to have after he made his power moves (like Gyzarus or Heraklinos), and then tagged out for something with high attack. His opponents’ options would then be extremely limited, even if all they were facing as a 2100 attack Laquari. Oppression was a good call, and it paid off: he won the Championship that weekend.

We recently saw another example of something like this happening. On SJC Seattle, Eric Ing piloted a Gladiator Beast deck main-decking Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror as an attempt to cripple Tele-DAD decks. Eric made it to the day 2 with this build with a 7-2 record that proves his deck could work even with Shadow-Imprisoning crippling his Gyzarus plays. He didn’t make it to the Top 8, but his deck is still a perfect example of how a card like Shadow-Imprisoning mirror, which conflicts with Gyzarus, can be used correctly in Gladiator Beast decks. On one of his feature matches, Shadow-Imprisoning allowed Eric to cripple his opponent’s effects AFTER he had used Gyzarus. Devastating plays that ultimately lead to his win.

The last example I want to give you is a much more widespread one. If you’re informed about the Top16 decks of the latest SJC championships, you’ll notice something about the side-decks of the Tele-DAD decks: most of them are packing 3 copies of Skill Drain. The use of Skill Drain in the Tele-DAD deck is just as devastating as the previous examples I gave you…if not more. What you get to do with this card in the deck is very interesting. First, note that one of Tele-DAD’s favourite choice synchro is unaffected by Skill Drain: Stardust Dragon. Since tributing it is a cost, it will resolve in the graveyard, so Skill Drain cannot touch it. The next thing to notice is that Tele-DAD has the ability to unleash a lot of high attack monsters on the field, and sometimes their effects won’t matter: what you want is to finish the duel fast. Skill Drain won’t deny you that, just as it won’t deny your opponent that. But if you get to use Skill Drain first, negating integral parts of the deck just as searchers like Stratos, you’ll slow the deck down considerably, and your opponent’s options get limited. But Skill Drain isn't just a good choice against Tele-DAD: it's a great choice against Lightsworn, and even more against Gladiator Beasts. A single trap card that provides protection for all 3 top decks!

Next time you’re building a deck, consider the possibilities every card might have in it. Sometimes a card can cripple your opponent more than you if you use it at the right time. This doesn’t mean you should forget synergy all together; sometimes this theory just doesn’t work with certain cards, because it doesn’t pay off to risk crippling yourself. But the best players understand that cards like these can devastate an opponent when used at the right time: stopping huge plays is great and when you play these cards correctly, you can do so and still have a win condition in your deck.[/quote']

[/argument]

That's not a MetaGame journalist nor is it related to Metagame.com in the slightest.

MetaGame.com is only good for SJC coverage.

That's a brilliant duelist, Arawn, on my site. Who is much more of a player than you are or will ever be.

Forgive me if you're mind doesn't work on multiple levels and you can't run a card that at some point will hurt you.

I.E., Storm could hurt you. Do you use it when it does? No. SIM can hurt GBs if you use it at the wrong time.

ITT: Glad Beast are good without Gyz.

Your Logic is fail, and your Gawd Duelist is fail. Decks that have no win condition inside the deck should not main cards that slows itself down. Your speaking situational about a deck that isn't doing anything impressive in the meta, and when you do, you kill it. If you want to play an Edge with GB, Deck Dimensional Fissure.

Your side deck is supposed to make your deck better suited against your opponent. Honestly, If you saw a GB deck that mains SIM and LIM with Prisma in the main, and Gyz in the extra, you'd laugh your ass off. This is no different.

Archived