Raelen's Splice Tutorial

Hello all! I'm here to give you a splicing tutorial!

Now you might be thinking,

"But wait, Jappio already has a splicing tutorial! How can you ever compare with his?"

Well, I can't. But what I will show you is what NOT to do and how to fix it. It might be hard for me to splice horrifically since it's been a while, but I'll try. ^_^

Let's get to it!

First, we choose some Pokemon to splice. Since I'm assuming that you've never spliced before, I'll make it a bit easy. (Plus, it's easier for me as well)

I'll choose Cacturne and Ursaring.

10o37ll.png

Cacturne

2z87ps1.png

Ursaring

Now the point of splicing is to combine two Pokemon together, by using different Pokemon's body parts. Using Photo Shop, Paint, GIMP, etc. you can open up the Pokemon sprites and cut and paste. Some good places to get Pokemon sprites are www.Pokemonelite2000.com or www.spriters-resource.com.

So, I will now combine the Pokemon.

148jeio.png

"Okay, done! I'm gonna post this in Showcase now!"

"Not so fast. You have mutilated the poor thing! You must mend it.

Now I will tell you what went wrong."

YOU HAVE NO SHADING ANYWHERE!!!! Your first attempt has failed. You must start over, this time remembering the shading!

I start over.

"Done!"

k062ih.png

"No! Not done!"

YOU HAVE DELETED SOME OF THE BORDERS!!! You must go back and fix the borders!

I start over...AGAIN!

"Now I have finished for good!"

2dhhef7.png

"Well, it's acceptable now. Sorta."

TO MAKE IT BETTER, RECOLOR THE SPLICE!!!!

Now I can either recolor the splice in Ursaring's colors or Cacturne's colors or choose my own colors. Hmm.... I'll chose Cacturne's colors.

abgj1l.png

"Finished! Yay! I'll post this in Showcase now!"

"Well, you could but there is still a problem."

YOU HAVE NOT RECOLORED THE BORDERS OF THE SPLICE!!!! There is still some brown from the Ursaring!

"Okay, okay.. I'll fix it. Again..."

afbnv5.jpg

"There, happy?"

"Well, it looks like you've done everything I asked, but now it looks weird. Let me zoom in here..

Eew! It looks awful! Look at all these different colored pixels! You failed to follow the most important rule!"

ALWAYS SAVE AS .PNG!!!!!!! DO NOT SAVE AS .JPG!!!!!!

"What can I do to save my splice?

"Well, now that you saved your splice as .jpg, it's trash. On some programs you can fix it, but on a lot of them you cannot fix it even if you wanted to! Your splice might be lost forever!!"

What did you find out from tutorial?

Hopefully you learned some important things THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER DO!! If you do any of these things wrong, people will not like your splices at all!

So please follow these simple steps so you can become a good Pokemon splicer!

By the way, here is the finished splice.

vrugow.png

See how much better it is than this?

148jeio.jpg

If you follow these steps, you'll be on your way to being a great Splicer!!!

That's all for now. Now, there are many other good techniques to learn but I made this tutorial just to cover the basics. If you have any questions about Pokemon splicing or any other techniques, please PM me your questions and I'll try to answer them as best as I can. Until then, START SPLICING AND HAVE FUN!!!

.:Raelen//:Solo:.

I didn't want to add reshading and scratching since I want to help people just starting out' date=' so we can cut down on the awful splices posted in Showcase. ^_^

Thaynx for your input!

[/quote']

Alrighty, then it's a great tut.

Kinda made it like those old poddy training videos.

"Bobby, did you go in your pants?"

"Yeah"

"No, don't do that, Bobby, here's a cookie"

I like the idea with this. A what not to do is very useful. I'd go and critique about how the sprite needs fixing, but that would be missing the point. The few things you didn't warn about would take almost entire tutorials themselves. Like scratching and reshading. Scratched parts themselves are spriting, pure spriting, which is tough. Reshading is just shading, with a few clues. I see shading as the hardest part of spriting, or one of the hardest, so it itself would need a full tutorial of its own also. You didn't quite cover the black background issue though, that could have been shown. Also things like cleanly cutting pieces off. Other than those few missed things, the tutorial does the job nicely. I'd like to think that having this tutorial, my two, and the others out there would now shorten the number of bad splices I see, but sadly no.

Thaynx for the info, Jappio!

As you said, I didn't add things like scratching and reshading, and yes, that would take up almost another full tutorial.

What is this black background thing you're talking about? I have not come across this in my splicing adventures. ^_^

Also, I didn't include things like cutting pieces off because...

1. I forgot.

2. I haven't seen that mistake much on this site so I didn't think it was needed too much.

This tutorial was basically made during the time my mom was yelling,

"Come on, we've got to get going! You're going to be late!!"

Thaynx for the tips! ^_^

And Zeroshot, I find it easier to teach something if I'm talking to someone. Though I do agree with you. ^_^

Lol.

Black backgrounds happen when you copy an image incorrectly. Most people will then just eliminate that background by turning it white' date=' problem is that it gets rid of all the black border touching it.

[/quote']

Okay, I've done that before. ^_^

Ah, the good old days when I didn't know how to use my paint software...

You can fix jpg sprites by opening them in paint and re-saving as png. The pixels only scramble when you put it on the internet. Simply open it and re-save it. Get your facts right. But other than that, a good tut for beginners. I hate those splices without borders or that are saved a jpg like my old ones.

You can fix jpg sprites by opening them in paint and re-saving as png. The pixels only scramble when you put it on the internet. Simply open it and re-save it. Get your facts right. But other than that' date=' a good tut for beginners. I hate those splices without borders or that are saved a jpg like my old ones.

[/quote']

Um, no. If you save your splice as jpg, and then go back and save it as png, it does nothing. It looks just like the jpg splice.

Thaynx for trying to help, though.

It's good :P

Not really a tutorial, more like some hints and tips. There are a few more topics aside from this, but seeing as these are some of the most common errors, I suppose it's fine. This should be of good help to begginers. Good job :wink:

You can fix jpg sprites by opening them in paint and re-saving as png. The pixels only scramble when you put it on the internet. Simply open it and re-save it. Get your facts right. But other than that' date=' a good tut for beginners. I hate those splices without borders or that are saved a jpg like my old ones.

[/quote']

Um, no. If you save your splice as jpg, and then go back and save it as png, it does nothing. It looks just like the jpg splice.

That's funny, when I started out, all my sprites where jpg. Someone told me to save as png so I went back to paint, opened it then saved as png. They cleared up when I uploaded it again.

Eg:

JPG:

eg-3.jpg

PNG:

eg-2.png

[/quote']

That's funny, when I started out, all my sprites where jpg. Someone told me to save as png so I went back to paint, opened it then saved as png. They cleared up when I uploaded it again.

Eg:

JPG:

eg-3.jpg

PNG:

eg-2.png

Hm. It must be your program then. I wish mine could do that! ^_^

And thaynx Spire!

Archived