What do YOU look for in a Fan-Fic?

Synchronized

As one of one of YCM's best Fan-Fiction writers, or at least most popular (and no, I'm not posting this to raise my ego), I'd like to know what the members look for in a Fan-Fic. What kind of things would interest you? I have my own Fan-Fiction, actually two, one is a WWE Fan-Fic, and one is a Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan-Fic.

I'm interested in winning the Fan-Fic Award for the January 2009 awards, and I want to make my Fan-Fic as good as it can be for the fans.

As I've said before, it's my belief that there's no point in having a Fan-Fic if you don't have fans.

You can find a link to my Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan-Fiction in my signature. Just click the sig that has the giant camel thing on it.

And remember, Vote Star for Fan-Fic Award January 09!

well, regardless of what kind of fan-fic it is, it has to have a plot. especially in yugioh fan-fics, writers tend to focus on the duels and not give them plots. i try to keep a balance of the two in my fic. but, in my opinion, the plot should be slow to pick up ad then keep going at a steady pace until the denouement and finally the climax and conclusion. if a writer puts too much into the plot early on, they will burn out. it's a fact of writing.

*note* as far as i'm concerned, plot refers to good and clear descriptions as well as just a story.

As well as what the above people said (I totally agree), good characters play a key role in a good story. I really hate any kind of two-dimensional Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. (I almost always test my characters online to see if they are one.) I like characters with fears, quirks, pasts, negative sides, and overall originality.

I also like it when I can actually read it. As in good spelling and grammar, especially spacing and capitalization.

If any of you have read a good story lately, I´d like to point out that MOST of them miss one thing that is lethally crucial for me:

F.E = Feelings and Emotions.

Therefore, what I´m looking for in a fan fic is good(maybe even perfect)description of emotional moments and how the characters feel towards eachother, like anger, happiness, sadness, envy, hatred, or, as it is my FAVORITE emotion: Love...

Also, I agree with binkatong that a good fan fic needs proper spelling and spacing, since it will be a lot easier to read.

People who don't use proper grammar and spelling in fanfics annoy me. It really makes their fanfic look bad. Also, a good plot is a must for any story, and the writers MUST be descriptive when it comes to... EVERYTHING important.

Believible characters are also important.

Anyone can write a fanfic. Only a few can write a good fanfic.

*read all posts and write them down on a sheet of paper*

Hmm, I need to get those things in my fan fic! Maybe we should make a thread which contains all concepts of fan fics and let the masters of fan fic judge them!

A good plot line & character development are essential to a good fanfic. Also' date=' try to throw in some surprises to side-track your readers.

[/quote']

Any example?

*read all posts and write them down on a sheet of paper*

Hmm' date=' I need to get those things in my fan fic! Maybe we should make a thread which contains all concepts of fan fics and let the masters of fan fic judge them!

A good plot line & character development are essential to a good fanfic. Also, try to throw in some surprises to side-track your readers.

Any example?

I am saying to use a mystery element...like not revealing everything out & give some plot twists & hints of things to come

Above all, a structure. I don't like stories where it's obvious the author still doesn't know what the plot will ultimately be about.

Also, like Umbra said, excessive dialogues kill any story, especially YGO fics, where it becomes almost impossible to evade a certain feeling of childishness to the whole thing.

Guest Supreme Gamesmaster

•Deep plot

•Good grammar

•Engaging characters

•Fantasy (though this is just my preference)

•Philosophical insights

•Inspiring themes

Archived