My attempt at an OCG helper.

Morgan LeFlay

Hello, this is just a quick little checklist that is meant to help improve your OCG with common mistakes. It definitely doesn't include every possibility, however I've tried to include most of the common phrases that are capitalized and some that shouldn't be. I'll take any suggestions to be added if you want. Also I might improve it some over the next few days.

Common capitalization and spelling problems: hand, field, Deck, Graveyard, face-up, face-down, Tribute, Level, Life Points, Type, Attribute, Summon, (Normal/Flip/Special) Summon, (Draw/Standby/etc) Phase, (Battle/Damage/End) Step, damage (when used alone), Battle Damage, Effect Damage, Attack Position, Defense Position (Note that Attack/Defense Mode are not Yu-Gi-Oh terms), battle position

Monster Card Zone, and Spell & Trap Card Zone are capitalized. "zone" when used by itself is not.

Monster Card, Spell Card, Trap Card, etc. are capitalized. "card" by itself is not capitalized, nor is it capitalized when used for an archtype, such as, "Gladiator Beast" card.

Normal Monster, Effect Monster, etc. are capitalized. When used alone, "monster" is not capitalized. Also, for some reason, in the term Tuner monster and non-Tuner monster, it's referred to as "Tuner monster" and "non-Tuner monster", but in the case of any other subtype, such as Union Monster, "Monster" is still capitalized.

Beast-Type monster, DARK monster, "Elemental Hero" monster are other examples of the usage of "monster". This also means don't post things such as Dark-Attribute monster, or Dark-Type monster, or Beast monster.

Cards returned to your Deck, hand, Extra Deck, or Graveyard (The latter only when coming from RFG) are considered to be "returned" and not added, shuffled, etc. Cards are "added" from your Deck to your hand, and are "sent" from your Deck to your Graveyard.

It's toss a coin, not flip a coin.

There is no "your field" and "your opponent's field", there is only "your side of the field" and "your opponent's side of the field". However, unless you have a unique effect, you should describe it as "(cards) you control" or "(cards) your opponent controls".

When referring to numbers, use the number, don't type it out.

(Whatever) Counters are simply typed out, just like that. Example: When this card is Normal Summoned, put 1 Spell Counter on it (max. 1).

Don't ever use the text "This card can only be Summoned by.." You need to specify what type of Summon it is (normal or special). If it's a Special Summon then you also need to add a "This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set" clause.

Don't forget apostrophes. I'm always seeing cards where people forget them. Singular apostophe comes before the s (Negate the attack of 1 of your opponent's monsters) and plural apostrophe comes after the s (Remove all monsters in both players' Graveyards from play.)

The standard materials for a synchro are: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

you or your opponent's = either player's

you and your opponent = both players

you and your opponent's = both players'

Inflict damage to your opponent, not to your opponent's Life Points.

If you Tribute a monster, then don't specify where sending it from if you're just Tributing it from the field. If you're sending, however, you need to specify (for example send 1 card you control to the Graveyard, and not just send 1 card to..)

Instead of using card with "Blah" in its card name, use "Blah" card.

Don't use unneccessary text that clutters up your card. Common phrases that aren't always needed are as follows (I'm sure there are more):

"As long as this card remains face-up on the field", Special Summon ... "to your side of the field", "Your Deck is then shuffled" just to name a few.

Well, that's all I have for now. Feel free to comment or give ideas, and I hope it helps :)

Alright, I first stopped reading at the title, I don't like tuts that say 'attempt'

Then, in spite of my better judgement, I read the thread. It felt like I was reading the OCG AND GRAMMAR THREAD.

I've never heard of the End Step, when I played Yu Gi Oh, it was still the End Phase.

meh, I like the OCG AND GRAMMAR THREAD much better.

Sorry this wasn't as good as the OCG and Grammar Thread. I tried to do my best. I could probably make this a bit more user-friendly, and I might try to do so. Thanks for your honest feedback.

The End Step, by the way, is the fourth step of the Battle Phase, with the other 3 being the Start Step, Battle Step, and Damage Step. It is only used in 2 TCG cards, Spirit Ryu and After The Struggle. It isn't really needed; you would probably get by by saying at the end of the Battle Phase.

I mainly created this because the OCG / Grammar Thread has some things I didn't agree with. There's no such thing as Advance Summon, nor Release. Those terms were changed in Japan, but haven't been brought over here. Also, there's the issue that the OCG / Grammar thread tries to say to use "your field" and "your opponent's field" which is dumb.

This at the moment probably isn't at it's best, I was bored and tried to write out a somewhat decent tutorial at 2 in the morning. Still, if there's any info you guys think I should add, let me know.

Sorry this wasn't as good as the OCG and Grammar Thread. I tried to do my best. I could probably make this a bit more user-friendly' date=' and I might try to do so. Thanks for your honest feedback.

The End Step, by the way, is the fourth step of the Battle Phase, with the other 3 being the Start Step, Battle Step, and Damage Step. It is only used in 2 TCG cards, Spirit Ryu and After The Struggle. It isn't really needed; you would probably get by by saying at the end of the Battle Phase.

I mainly created this because the OCG / Grammar Thread has some things I didn't agree with. There's no such thing as Advance Summon, nor Release. Those terms were changed in Japan, but haven't been brought over here. Also, there's the issue that the OCG / Grammar thread tries to say to use "your field" and "your opponent's field" which is dumb.

This at the moment probably isn't at it's best, I was bored and tried to write out a somewhat decent tutorial at 2 in the morning. Still, if there's any info you guys think I should add, let me know.

[/quote']

No need to make it better if nobody is going to look at it.

Notice how your 2 examples were of old cards. Please only use current or advanced OCGs. What's the point in teaching someone outdated OCG if outdated OCG is frowned upon?

Advanced OCG is included because it is the most current form of official card grammar. It may not be used, but it is included.

Correct (current) OCG is your field and your opponent's field.

Current OCG is not your field and your opponent's field. There is only 1 field! No TCG cards use that wording, people here only use it because it's in that OCG thread.

Also, how many stars I have doesn't matter because I've been making CCG for a long time, but just not here.

There is one field consisting of 2 sides. Therefore "your field" is not an accurate term. Show me one official card that uses said term and I'll change my mind.

As to the 2 examples part, I'm not encouraging people to use End Step. Just use end of the Battle Phase. Heck, I only included the term End Step for capitalization reasons! It's only ever used on those 2 cards, and was answering a question because he didn't know what it was.

Also, everyone I've helped was happy with my OCG corrections. Except for 1 guy maybe who said that "Dark Magician" monster wasn't a suitable replacement for monster with "Dark Magician" in its name, but that's besides the point.

You know, I just created this thread to try and help people. I did ask for criticism and suggestions, but you guys are all treating me like I'm the biggest noob.

God Duelist, if the OCG and Grammar Thread is better and this is useless and PHAIL then what do you suggest that I can do to improve it, assuming I DON'T just scrap it?

I'm not normally argumentative but half the replies to this thread are just judging and negative, with no real suggestions, but there are some decent suggestions.

Notice how your 2 examples were of old cards. Please only use current or advanced OCGs. What's the point in teaching someone outdated OCG if outdated OCG is frowned upon?

Thank you for that suggestion.

I'm not bashing the OCG thread and saying it's wrong. The only things I disagree with are the "side of field" problem and well the Expert Rules, since that never got translated to TCG, but if their mechanics are used correctly then it doesn't really matter.

Examples of the "side of field" problem, from the latest set Crossroads of Chaos.

Doomkaiser Dragon

Attrib: Fire

Type: Zombie/Synchro/Effect

Level:6

Atk: 2400

Def: 1500

"Plaguespreader Zombie" + 1 or more non-Tuner Zombie-Type monsters When this card is Special Summoned, you can select 1 Zombie-Type monster in your opponent's Graveyard and Special Summon it to your side of the field in Attack Position. Destroy it when this card is removed from the field.

Everliving Underworld Cannon

Group: Spell Card

Type: Spell

Icon:Continuous

Once during each player's turn, when a Zombie-Type monster is Special Summoned to your side of the field, inflict 800 damage to your opponent.

Trap of the Imperial Tomb

Group: Trap Card

Type: Trap

Activate only when a Zombie-Type monster(s) is Special Summoned from your opponent's Graveyard to your side of the field. Destroy 2 cards on the field.

Bamboo Scrap

Tribute 1 Plant-Type monster. Special Summon 2 "Plant Tokens" (Plant-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 800/DEF 500) to your opponent's side of the field in Defense Position.

Black Garden

Group: Spell Card

Type: Spell

Icon:Field

When a monster is Normal or Special Summoned, except by the effect of "Black Garden", halve its ATK and Special Summon 1 "Rose Token" (Plant-Type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 800/DEF 800) to its controller's opponent's side of the field, in Attack Position. You can destroy this card and all face-up Plant-Type monsters on the field and Special Summon 1 monster with ATK equal to the total ATK of those monsters from your Graveyard.

Cactus Fighter

Attrib: Earth

Type: Plant/Effect

Level:4

Atk: 1900

Def: 400

If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, Special Summon 1 "Needle Token" (Plant-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 500/DEF 500) to your opponent's side of the field in Defense Position.

Horseytail

Attrib: Wind

Level:2

Atk: 400

Def: 500

When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 1 "Horseytail Token" (Plant-Type/WIND/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your opponent's side of the field in Defense Position. When this Token is destroyed by battle with a Plant-Type monster, its controller sends 1 card from their hand to the Graveyard.

Revival Gift

Select 1 Tuner monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it. Its effects are negated. Special Summon 2 "Gift Fiend Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 3/ATK 1500/DEF 1500) to your opponent's side of the field.

Seed of Flame

Attrib: Fire

Level:3

Atk: 1600

Def: 1200

When this card you control is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Plant-Type monster, except "Seed of Flame", from your Graveyard. Also, Special Summon 1 "Seed Token" (Plant-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your opponent's side of the field in Defense Position. This Token cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon.

Wall of Ivy

Attrib: Earth

Level:2

Atk: 300

Def: 1200

FLIP: Special Summon 1 "Ivy Token" (Plant-Type/EARTH/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position to your opponent's side of the field. When this Token is destroyed, its controller takes 300 damage.

Examples of cards from CSOC (the latest set) or any other set that use "your field" or "your opponent's field": 0.

I don't see why it's frowned upon to use terminology that the TCG still uses as opposed to something somebody made up.

Now, then, if you all would give me suggestions on how to make it better, instead of rating me for my stars, maybe I can get something good going. I don't really like to have to argue so please don't pointlessly bash me without giving some solid reasons on what is so bad about this.

Archived