Hunter's Movie Critiques

Huntar!

[align=center]

Greetings YCMovie watchers, this is my Official Movie Review Thread.

Here, I shall keep track of all of my reviews here on the first post, as well as various other posts on this thread.

[spoiler=Valkyrie]Valkyrie

A movie directed by Bryan Singer and hitting theatres in late December 2008. Starring Tom Cruise, Kenneth Branagh, and Bill Nighy. Based on the very real plot to Kill Adolf Hitler and take over the German Government from the Nazi party, and end the war peacefully before Germany loses.

The real Plot to kill the dictator was one of over 10 documented coup attempts that ultimately failed miserably. Hitler lived until the Russian invasion of Berlin, where (suposedly) Hitler committed suicide.

The main character is Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise), a german officer who is fed up with the war. He allies himself with his uncle who is a prominent anti-nazi in the government. He is determined to take control of the government and set Germany in a straighter path away from war and destruction. Stauffenberg has many young children and a young wife. He was stationed in North Africa and lost his eye, one hand, and several fingers on the remaining one in a bombing raid by the Allies.

Stauffenberg soon learns of operation Valkyrie, the small army based in Berlin to subdue civil unrest or possibly protect Berlin in an invasion. He then learns that if he can change the Valkyrie force and trick it to help the coup and subdue all prominent SS (secret police) members and accuse them of trying to take over, that his rebel group has the chance to overthrow the government.

He creates a bomb, in which he hides in a briefcase. He meets with Hitler and other major nazi generals in a secret building. He then leaves and detonates the bomb, injuring Hitler and the other generals. Stauffenberg believes that Adolf Hitler is dead. He goes back to Berlin to engage the Valkyrie force. Vakyrie arrest and subdue the SS, who have been charged with attempting to kill Hitler and take over the government.

Hitler then makes a nation-wide radio announcement declaring that he is indeed alive and well. Then, the valkyrie force turns on Stauffenberg and the rebels, and arrests them. The SS then put the men on trial, and have them all excecuted.

The movie was suspensful, had alot of action, and was quite entertaining. One of the best Nazi movies that I have ever seen.

Plot - 9/10 [what true story like this doesn't have an interesting plot?

Acting - 8/10 [Convincing]

Entertainment Value - 10/10 [i really liked watching it. So good, you can watch it often and still not get bored.]

Quality - 7/10 [Good]

Total - 4.25/5

[Letter Rating - B]

[spoiler=Death Race]Death Race (2008)

A movie written, directed and produced by Paul W.S. Anderson. It is a remake of the 1975 film "Death Race 2000, based on lb Melchoir's short story "The Racer". Starring Jason Statham as the main character and Joan Allen, Tyrese Gibson, and Natalie Martinez.

The movie takes place in the United States in 2012 when the econemy is so terrible that a former Nascar driver is forced to work in welding at minimum wage to support his wife and young daughter. The main character, Jensen Ames (Jason Statham) comes home from work, talks to his wife and then goes upstairs to check on his infant daughter. Meanwhile, a prisoner on parol for the weekend sneaks into his house, takes his money he just earned, and kills his beloved wife.

Jensen fought him, and took the knife from his hand to save himself and scares the man away. The authorities come into the scene and see him, a bloody knife, and a dead woman and he is falsely accused of murdering his wife.

He is taken to a maximum security prison. The warden is a malevolent woman named Hennessey (Joan Allen) who takes pride in the famed "Death Race", which puts prisoners against eachother in a race, with armored vehicles, machine guns, nos, and the chance to earn their freedom by winning 5 races. I know, it just sounds like fun, doesn't it?

He makes enemies with the wrong people and has to fight them. He doesn't win and it gets broken up. He must settle this score in the race. The warden gives him the chance to race for his freedom since the famed racer, Frankenstein, had died in a fatal crash, and needed a replacement to wear his mask (he needed a mask because his face was deformed and misfigured from too many crashes).

Out of 10 racers, the first 6 died quickly in the first segment of the death race, to be viewed by millions of viewers more than the super bowl in America. Through a thrilling and suspensful race, he eliminates everyone up to himself and Machinegun Joe (Tyrese Gibson). They plot to escape the prison for good after Jensen realizes that Hennessey tried to assassinate him.

Jensen and Machinegun Joe eventually escape the island craftily using their armored cars to protect themselves from the bullets of the policemen and helicopters chasing them. The crash their cars and hop a train to mexico. Jensen's navigator puts on Frankenstein's mask to give the illusion that Jensen got caught.

A year or two later, Jensen, Joe, Elizabeth Case (Natalie Martinez) his navigator, and Jensen's young daughter live happily in Mexico as mechanics. Then, you guessed it, they lived happily ever after.

I recommend this movie to everyone that likes danger, suspense, racing, and guns.

Plot - 10/10 [Great. I liked how it is actually possible that this could happen, especially in today's world]

Entertainment Value - 10/10 [i loved it. Really "actiony"]

Acting - 7/10 [Meh. It was decent. They could have done better]

Quality - 9/10 [it was quite good. The effects were mindblowing as well.]

Total = 4.5/5

[Letter Rating - A]

[spoiler=Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist]Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

A movie directed by Peter Sollett and starred by Michael Cera and Kat Dennings. A great team, IMO. It is about a young man who is depressed because his girlfriend dumped him, and keeps sending her mixed cd's to express his feelings to her. She doesn't want them and throws them away. Her friend's friend picks them up and listens to them. She realizes that this heartbroken guy, is her future boyfriend.

Nick (Michael), is in a band called the Jerk-Offs. He is the only straight member of the banned. His friends convinced him to get out of the house and play a gig. The gig was conveniently at a place where Norah (Kat), and his ex-girlfriend Tris (Alexis Dziena) were at.

Since Tris and Norah are unfriendly, Tris constantly teases Norah. Tris comments to Norah about how she was there alone that night. So, she asked a random boy, Nick, to be her "boyfriend for 5 minuites". She kisses him and convinces this to Tris, who evidently leaves her alone.

Norah's friend gets drunk and needed to be taken home. Norah, Nick, Caroline, and the band members take everyone home. Caroline gets scared, and runs away. They go looking for her and assume she is at the "Where's Fluffy?" concert. Which both Nick and Norah incidently love. They go all over the city, and find just enough clues to the point where they find the concert. By this time, Nick and Norah are totally into eachother and are getting along fine.

Tris gets jealous, and convinces Nick to take her home. She seduces him but she fails and he leaves her in the middle of nowhere. He finds Norah, and she takes him to Electric Lady Studios which is owned by her father. They are all alone. Nick is fascinated by the equipment. Norah then sits with Nick on the couch, and has her first orgasm. Yeah, thats a very kinky moment.

They go to the "Where's Fluffy" concert. Nick fights with Norah's ex boyfriend, Tal. Nick's friend headbutts him and knocks him unconcious. Nick and Norah walk away holding hands to the train station. They kiss on the escalator.

I liked this movie. It was entertaining.

Plot - 8/10 [Another one of those kinda movies.]

Acting - 10/10 [Great]

Quality - 7/10 [Not bad]

Entertainment Value - 10/10 [You will be laughing, smiling, or horny this entire movie... xD]

Total - 4.375/5

[Letter Rating - B]

I do not take Requests upon this thread. Please keep requests to the Official Request Thread. Thank you.

[/align]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh... I like my thread being me. ;) No offense to you guys. But heads up, mine will be the only good one in the forum, not just the one posted. xD

I intend on keeping my promise for a movie critique in the next few days, but I might not have the time. (my laptop isn't working right now, this isn't mine)

I like to do newer movies, because thats all people care about these days. ^^

Meh... I like my thread being me. ;) No offense to you guys. But heads up' date=' mine will be the only good one in the forum, not just the one posted. xD

I intend on keeping my promise for a movie critique in the next few days, but I might not have the time. (my laptop isn't working right now, this isn't mine)

I like to do newer movies, because thats all people care about these days. ^^

[/quote']

It is obviously not all that people care about these days.

You just had two people talk about their love of old movies.

Archived