YCM's Own Music Search Engine (we can find anything for you!)

CinnamonStar

Here you will find information about different music styles (hope to gather as many as possible) and ask questions, like if you don’t know what genre a band plays or need more music.

The thing is, music styles bands get connoted with don’t mean everything. Many play different types of songs and can’t be classified so easily, others just pend between various genres. As a matter of fact, we sometimes listen to music without knowing or caring about what style it belongs to and that’s a good thing, but I know that people are often interested into that. Just don’t take it too seriously.

You could of course just browse through Wikipedia, but the definitions are usually unnecessarily long, too much focussed on details most people don’t care about and sometimes not accurate. My current plan is to make an own music encyclopedia for YCM, where you will mostly find how you can recognize music genres. I will leave aside the details like which countries something comes from, unless you really want to know.

That way, if people are talking about, let’s say, Avantgarde Metal and you don’t know what that sounds like, you can look it up quickly.

Other than that, this thread serves to answer any questions about music genres. If you hear a song you can’t situate or need more music of whatever style, I will try my best to find something.

The plan I had in my mind looks like this:

1) Classical music

sub-categories: Medieval, Gregorian chants, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-Classical, Romantic, Impressionism, Expressionism, 20th century, Minimalism, electro-classical

2) Pop

J-Pop, Bubblegum, Baroque Pop, Operatic/Classical Pop, Electro Pop, Indie Pop, Pop Rock, 80’s Pop/Neue Deutsche Welle, Dark Pop, Experimental, Psychedelic/Hippie, Folk Pop, Variety

3) Rock

Classic Rock, ”Nowadays” Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, Electro Rock, Wave (sub-categories: Dark Wave and Batcave), Gothic Rock, Industrial (including Noise), Glam Rock, Hardcore and other “-core” stuff, Emocore and Screamo, Folk Rock, Punk, J-Rock (Visual Kei, Oshare) and other regional stuff

4) Metal

sub-categories

5) Rap, Hip-Hop

anything related, I will have to look that up, though o.o’

6) Electro

EBM, Trance, Eurodance, ...

7) New Age

New Age, Neo-Folk, Ambient, World Music, Meditation Music, others

8 ) Jazz, Blues, Reggae

anything related, I will have to look that up, though o.o’

9) Others

Film music, regional stuff (Hawaiian, Persian, ...)

1) Pop

• J-Pop
  • Bubblegum
  • Baroque Pop
  • Operatic/Classical Pop
  • Electro/Synth Pop
  • Indie Pop
  • Pop Rock
  • 80’s Pop/Neue Deutsche Welle
  • Dark Pop
  • Experimental
  • Psychedelic/Hippie
  • Folk Pop
  • Variety

[spoiler=J-Pop]

~under contruction~

The Japanese version and second largest music industry in the world. It just refers to the popular music in Japan and is a bit hard to classify. Some singers recur to more electronic elements than Western Pop music while others have a more urban, hiphop-related sound.

To get an impression, see Ayumi Hamasaki, Hikaru Utada, Gackt, Arashi, Mr. Children, High and Mighty Color, Kumi Koda, Ai Otsuka, Morning Musume and Exile. Or even simpler, refer to Anime theme songs.

[spoiler=Operatic/Classical Pop]

Not much to explain here. Operatic Pop, also called “Popera” combines Pop music with classical elements, especially from the Opera scene. Sometimes, classical music is interpreted in a more Pop-like way (for examples, see Sarah Brightman) or vice-versa, Pop songs performed in an operatic style (“Symphony”, S. Brightman’s cover version of the German Pop song “Symphonie”). At the moment, the genre hasn’t gained much popularity yet. The best-known people here are Sarah Brightman, Josh Groban, Rufus Wainwright (often used for soundtracks), Andrea Bocelli, Paul Potts (“Nessun Dorma”) and the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

[spoiler=Pop Rock]

The softer version of Rock music. For examples, see Avril Lavigne, Aloha from Hell, Maroon 5 and others.

[spoiler=Dark Pop]

It’s Pop music with a more gloomy, melancholy undertone and thoughtful, sometimes pessimistic lyrics. Strings are often used to create that kind of atmosphere. For reference, see Persephone (side-project of L’Âme Immortelle) and the new German band Eisblume.

[spoiler=Variety]

It’s the leading music style in France. If you look at their charts, many of the songs are like that. They’re usually ballad-ish, with lyrics borrowed or inspired by literature, but that’s all which differs them from the rest.

There are too many examples for that; as I said, just look at the French charts and you will see.

4) Metal

• Classic
  • Power
  • Speed
  • Death (Melodic Death and others)
  • Trash
  • Black
  • Doom
  • Symphonic
  • Neo-Classical
  • Gothic
  • Epic
  • Folk
  • Christian, Pagan and other belief-related stuff
  • Progressive
  • Avant-Garde
  • Industrial Metal
  • Nu Metal
  • Metalcore

[spoiler=Power Metal]

...is the most popular Metal genre at this point.

Power Metal guitarists and bassists often make use of Major chord progressions as well as circle progressions. Rapid streams of notes are common, but chords are changed comparatively slowly, with a harmonic tempo of once per measure or slower.

The typical drumming style of that genre consists of using 2 bass drums for added speed. Others use a more Trash Metal style of drumming with rapid bursts of double bass that involve 3 to 6 beats with the double kick, although the first technique is more common.

Regarding the vocals, you will usually find so-called “clean”, meaning non-screamed, growled or grunt vocals so anyone who claims that anything Metal is equal to pure screaming orgies is wrong. Most of them are situated in a tenor range, meaning a high register, although baritone and bass ranges are not uncommon. Bands like Wintersun for example use both high vocals and growls.

The lyrics are often based on fantasy and mythology (ex: Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Rhapsody of Fire), war and bravery (Hammerfall, Manowar and other US-bands) or simply personal topics (Wintersun, Evergrey).

In fact, many people distinguish between yet another division: the US and the European versions, although it’s not always very clear. The difference is usually that US Power Metal has a harder, heavier sound and the European version focusses more on the melodical aspect, through a more pronounced use of keyboards.

For examples, try Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire (yes they had to change their name ._.), Skyfire, Hammerfall, Manowar, Evergrey and others you may get by simply asking, if you’re interested.

[spoiler=Death Metal]...Is a subgenre of Heavy Metal that was formed during the mid 1980s.

Death Metal typically employs blast beat drumming, deep "cookie monster" vocal stylings, harsh (usually violent or satanic) lyrics, fast tempo, and complex song structure in most of their songs.

Death Metal itself was inspired by the musical styling of such bands such as Slayer, Kreator, Celtic Frost, and Possessed.

Such early bands such as Death, Morbid Angel, Mortician, and Obituary are widely considered poineers due to their outstanding achievements that helped form the foundation of death metal.

Death Metal vocals are deep, morbid, and somewhat hard to understand if your a new listener, most lyrical themes in death metal revolve around gore, killing, satanism, nihilism, and extreme acts that I will not mention on a children's site. ;)

Although those type of vocals are typically used in Death Metal that under no circumstances mean that it is the only thing a death metal band talks about in lyrics. Death can be described as a bend who broke away from this lyrical trend.

The guitar and bass works in a death metal band can usually be described as complex with many tempo changes during the course of a song. The utilization of the whammy bar is also a key in making good death metal music. Drumming highly incoperates blast beat drumming which intesifies the overall tone of the music.

There is really nothing more to say about death metal but I can give you the names of some "must listen to" bands. These include but are no limited to such bands like Morbid Angel, Death, Suffocation, Immolation, Cannibal Corpse, Incantation,and Autopsy.

That’s all for now. I’m working my way down to the rest.

NOW GET TO WORK!!*flies off*

Needs moar Drum&Bass aye?

For a brief definition: Drum&Bass is usually electronic music that uses various samples such as record scratches etc, fast BPM of 160-180, regular intense beat patterns, and often rap vocals, but sometimes singing as well.

Archived