[Leaderboard]Dante vs. Zextra

Not-so-Radiant Arin

Welcome to yet another exciting installment of Leaderboard antics! This is my fifth and probably final contest, so this will be a no-holds-bar fight to the Death. With the contestant already selected, as agreed by PM, the only thing that is left to do is for each contestant to make their cards, which will be explained below.

[spoiler='Drumroll, please...']You will be making a card that relies on discarding cards from your opponent's hand. Since this is such a tricky mechanic to play around with, I find it fit for a final card contest.[/spoiler]

Once Zex PMs his card to me, we can officially start.

As per Leaderboard rules, whoever has 3 votes, or the most votes by February 13, 11:59 P.M. (UTC -06:00), will be crowned the victor in this grueling stakeout!

May the best contender win!

Card A

[spoiler='Card A']

183910.jpg

[spoiler='Effect']Discard 1 card from your hand and send 1 face-up monster you control to the Graveyard. After this effect resolves: Your opponent discards cards from their hand equal to the number of monsters you control. You cannot activate this card if you have 5 monsters on your field. You can only activate 1 "Nightmare Repression" per turn.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Card B

[spoiler='Card B']

alienstealth.png

[spoiler='Effect']When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Your opponent randomly discards 1 card. Once per turn, while you have more cards in your hand than your opponent: You can place a number of A-Counters on face-up monsters your opponent controls up to the difference. You can banish this face-up card; Special Summon 1 “Alien” monster from your hand. If this card is banished by its own effect: Your opponent randomly discards 1 card.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

I vote for Nightmare Repression (though I don't get the Card A and B thing DanteSparda is written on the bottom of the card)

While I think Nightmare Repression has possible token shenanigans and therefore sounds fun with Beastcraft at its core (and constant counting and recounting on my part) its still a -3 from you to possibly -3 your opponent. Ergo it as balance to it.

Alien Stealth...well after a while I realized it turns call of the haunted into Delinquent Duo, without the life points. If you ignore all the stuff about A counters and summoning Aliens you see that when you revive it with Call -1 to  your opponent and then you just do its effect to -1 them again. So I'm pretty sure that its on the slippery slope to being broken.

1-0 Card A.

I vote for Nightmare Repression (though I don't get the Card A and B thing DanteSparda is written on the bottom of the card)

Yeah, Yugico is usually my method of go-to card making, which always puts the creator. I was going to use MSE for this one, but I insisted that it be Yugico. Besides, whose card is who's shouldn't matter.

Alright, let's dissect these things:

Card A (Dante's) is quite powerful...if not too powerful. The fact that you can easily staple this card into any Swarm oriented deck is just...nasty. Example: Wind-Ups. With their ability to swarm first turn, you can easily set up for this card with just Shark and Magician. Granted, Magician is the problem card in the first place but even then this card in itself is too powerful in it's own right since I see the following:

Play this card (-1), Discard 1 card (-1), Send 1 face-up monster you control to the Graveyard (-1) = -3. Have 4 monsters on the field, discard 4 cards from your opponent's hand (+4). The situations it creates...is just downright unfair. You remove most of your opponents outs and that's not good for the game. Sure, it has weaknesses such as not being able to resolve it (it shouldn't resolve?) if Macro Cosmos is chained to it since the monster is banished and not sent to the Graveyard OR if your opponent BoMoons the monster since it's an "effect" and not a cost. It's just...like Gyzarus:

It's a slippery slope card.

Card B (Zextra's) is also quite powerful. "When...Special Summoned from the Graveyard" + mandatory discard seems a bit iffy already, especially with Alien Ammonite and the other support Aliens have to Special Summon other Alien monsters. A deck can now be made to loop into discarding your opponent's hand. Not only that, but it promotes additional benefits if your opponent is in a losing position (placing more A-Counters) in direct proportion to hand size. That's...not fair. Lastly, it can loop itself with it's last effect, Special Summoning itself at least 2 more times for a total of -6 cards from your opponents hand, +X Alien Counters in the process, especially since there is no restriction.

Wow...both of you have some broken cards...Sorry Zextra but the fact that your Alien monster has no restriction, can fuel into a discard loop is just...insane. It's also what saved Dante.

Vote for Card A.

Vote goes to Nightmare Repression. Alien Stealth would be right on the cusp of "balanced" and "OP" due to the Deck dedication required, except for one thing. It combos with Call of the Haunted which can then be recycled with Gol'gar. It would greatly boost Aliens, so much that they'd centralize around abusing it.

Alright, let's dissect these things:

Play this card (-1), Discard 1 card (-1), Send 1 face-up monster you control to the Graveyard (-1) = -3. Have 4 monsters on the field, discard 4 cards from your opponent's hand (+4). The situations it creates...is just downright unfair.

You can't play it prior to having 5 monsters on the field. You're allowed to have up to 4 after the activation of the card, in which you then have to get rid of 1, meaning you'll have 3 left then. It even says right in the text.

Anyways, gg Zex.

Archived