[Leaderboard] Finished: Zextra vs Ambrosia

Zextra

Rules:

• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 11:59 PST on May 15th.

• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning.

Requirements:

Make a Trap card that allows for the Special Summoning of a monster (examples are Call of the Haunted, Limit Reverse, etc.)

Prize:

1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:

Each successful vote earns the user a rep!

Scoreboard:

Ambrosia: 1

Zextra: 3

[spoiler=Ambrosia's Card]

Tiki Progenitor

Continuous Trap Card

Effect:
Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Rock-type/LIGHT/Level 9/ATK 0/DEF 2800). (This card is still treated as a Trap Card). You can banish 1 Trap Card that is treated as an Effect Monster while face-up on the field in your Graveyard; This card gains that card's effects and is treated as the Level listed on the banished card. If this card is used for a Synchro Summon: Special Summon 1 "Tiki Token" (Rock-type/LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Zextra's Card]

psychicrift.png

Effect:

Activate only when an opponent’s monster declares an attack. Banish 1 monster in your Deck and end the Battle Phase. During your Main Phase: You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard and discard 1 monster from your hand with a Level equal to the Level of the monster banished by this card’s effect; Special Summon the banished monster.

[/spoiler]

I always liked Trap Monsters, and this is great support (even if it's DEF stats are pretty insane. On the other hand, Zextra's card seems a little cheap, basically allowing you to play any monster you wish. This would be pretty insane in Archfiends or Photons, maybe even Gimmick Puppets, allowing you to bring out powerful monsters and allowing CotH plays. So my vote is for the Trap Monster.

Ambrosia's card by itself it acts as a 2800 wall. But its only real redeeming trait is that it can take on the levels of your used trap monsters, allowing it to Synchro more easily and nab that token, since its effect siphon ability doesn't have many good targets (except maybe Zoma). 

For Zextra's, I think that tHe card does its job without being broken; it slows down your opponent by offering a Negate Attack as well as being able to potentially summon a monster that you would need. The summon itself is a -1 though, and requires setup, and the card is slow enough that it can be left vulnerable for a Mystical Space Typhoon or some other Spell/Trap destruction. Also, it seems like it would be great support for Psychics, as I suppose the name would suggest. My vote here will go to Zextra.

Tiki Progenitor seems slightly incomplete. Mostly because it seems like it ideally work for Xyzs as well, but only gives you the most benefit if you use it as a Synchro Material. Other then that, I like it.
Psychic Rift is perfect support for Banish-Psychics, and could even be seen as a neat tech in and out of specific decks and what-not. Plus, it could lead to all sorts of shenanigans.

I'm voting Zex' card.

My vote goes to Zex.

Why?

The first card seems like a half-interesting tech, but the Trap Monster part doesn't seem to useful, nor does the part of gaining other Trap Monster effects, because Zoma is the only one that's probably going to be targeted. More or less so, the last effect of gaining a token from a Synchro seems good, but it's pretty plain and doesn't give the card that zing to it.

The second card seems a bit over-powered, negating attacks over and over (excluding meta with Blaster and all). But the last effect is quite a nice one, even if it might be a bit hard to get out stronger monsters at times. I like this card, and maybe a slight tone down to the first effect, and maybe a different way of balancing the second? (The second effect seems fine though. Just personal opinion.)

Archived