[Leaderboard] Vote! Zextra vs Zazu

Zextra

Rules:

• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 11:59 PST on June 5th.

• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning

Requirements:

Make a vanilla and an advanced form to said vanilla.

Prize:

1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:

Each successful vote earns the user a rep!

Scoreboard:

Cards A: 0

Cards B: 0

[spoiler=Cards A]

SpeedJetDefender-1.png

Lore:

Quick as a bullet, Speed Jet Defender speeds through the air with extreame precision.

SpeedJetAttacker.png

Effect:

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by Tributing 1 face-up "Speed Jet Defender" you control. When you do: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that target's ATK becomes this card's ATK. Once per turn, when this card battles an opponent's monster with ATK less than or equal to this card: You can equip that card with less than or equal ATK to this card before damage calculation. When this card would be destroyed, you can send 1 monster equipped to this card by its own effect to the Graveyard instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Cards B]

raikathesealedthunderfo.png

Lore:

This ancient being of thunder was sealed by a dark force several millenia ago. Nonetheless, even in his sealed and weakened state, he still demonstrates immeasurable destructive power towards those who oppose him. However, he still longs for the day that his seal becomes undone, freeing him from his prison, unlocking his indomitable power.

raikaraijinofdestructio.png

Effect:

During either player’s turn, when a “Raika, the Sealed Thunder Force” you control is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card is Summoned by its own effect: Destroy all other face-up monsters on the field. Once per turn: You can banish 1 LIGHT monster in your Graveyard; place a Thunderbolt Counter on 1 monster your opponent controls. When a monster with a Thunderbolt Counter is destroyed: Destroy all cards in the column of the destroyed monster.

[/spoiler]

Set A:

Spelling mistakes aside, these are pretty cool cards. I like Jet Attacker's first effect, and the second effect is pretty handy too since it will work whether you're attacking or being attacked. The 3rd effect is probably verging on overpowered to me at least, since negating destruction is about the best effect a beater can be given. I think this card is balanced out by the fact that it can only target a monster with its first effect when it is first summoned, but 2400 ATK will beat most things into submission that don't have the time to set up, so this card still feels too powerful to me. 

Set B: 

I like the restriction on summoning Raijin of Destruction, since if the vanilla isn't destroyed by battle, it cannot be played so easily. Because the field destruction only occurs when summoned by its own effect it feels balanced, since a player could predict when someone is playing the sealed thunder force, that they might have Raijin in their hand. The thunderbolt token idea is also quite innovative and relatively fair, it effects both players who aren't careful and encourages strategic gameplay. 

Both nice card duos with creative effects, but I'll go for B, since I think it's more balanced. 

I like the restriction on summoning Raijin of Destruction, since if the vanilla isn't destroyed by battle, it cannot be played so easily. Because the field destruction only occurs when summoned by its own effect it feels balanced, since a player could predict when someone is playing the sealed thunder force, that they might have Raijin in their hand.

I would like to disagree. 1. You can just ram into something, 2.You can just set it, 3. They most likely want to get rid of a 1900 ATK monster, plus they can also use this to kill off opponent's monster, since this nukes the whole field.

Anyway, I dislike the design of the second card because of this, an easy nuke, and it puts out 2 1900 ATK monsters with Rabbit, so it's quite easy to get out. While the first card is a target for Sea Horse, if you use it, you cannot even get out Attacker because of the no Special Summon condition. I like that you're using columns, but it is fairly powerful for something that also nukes everything.

I am going to have to vote for the first card.

I'm voting for the ones in Card B.
Considering cards like Zenmain and Maestroke are a thing, you wouldn't really need to worry TOO much about being able to steal something or not. Plus, 2400, right off the bat, gives you a wide range of targets to equip to that card. So more or less, it's not really a priority to play it's Normal counterpart.
The ones in B are more of an upgrade in the sense that they at least justify their summoning more, by at leastadding a bit of story to the whole concept, and makes it feel more like an actual thing(Kinda' like the Gagagigo line)

....At least, the way I see it.

I would like to disagree. 1. You can just ram into something, 2.You can just set it, 3. They most likely want to get rid of a 1900 ATK monster, plus they can also use this to kill off opponent's monster, since this nukes the whole field.

Anyway, I dislike the design of the second card because of this, an easy nuke, and it puts out 2 1900 ATK monsters with Rabbit, so it's quite easy to get out. While the first card is a target for Sea Horse, if you use it, you cannot even get out Attacker because of the no Special Summon condition. I like that you're using columns, but it is fairly powerful for something that also nukes everything.

I am going to have to vote for the first card.

True, slipped my mind. Kamikaze-ing a card that you know has a field destroying form might make the insightful defender activate a trap or quick play spell though. Although as a set card you're not wrong, these cards do seem a bit too powerful with that in mind. But since Jet Attacker has such a powerful effect I don't think I'd change my mind. As Armadilloz said, at least some credible attempt to justify the summoning has been made in the latter duo. 

[quote name=".codex" post="6214754" timestamp="1370347891"]I would like to disagree. 1. You can just ram into something, 2.You can just set it, 3. They most likely want to get rid of a 1900 ATK monster, plus they can also use this to kill off opponent's monster, since this nukes the whole field.Anyway, I dislike the design of the second card because of this, an easy nuke, and it puts out 2 1900 ATK monsters with Rabbit, so it's quite easy to get out. While the first card is a target for Sea Horse, if you use it, you cannot even get out Attacker because of the no Special Summon condition. I like that you're using columns, but it is fairly powerful for something that also nukes everything.I am going to have to vote for the first card.[/quote] Though you can kamikaze it, it's really not an ideal summoning condition, and therefore is slow and somewhat unreliable, which justifies its summoning nuke eff, imo. Also, the nuke is limited to face-up monsters. With that said, the cards in Card A are a bit strong for my taste, since it had the ability to essentially "remove" a large portion of monsters without running into the risks of normal battle. As for Card B, I like the idea that it uses the senet concept, and it fits the thunderbolt effect well. Vote to Cards B.

How is something that depends on your opponent's monsters ATK less unbalanced than a nuke on Summon? Anyway, I lost, again. GG.

3-1 for Zextra

I think it's just the dependence on the vanilla which decided the balancing factor here. As I understand it, the more powerful aspect of Raijin's effect was dependent on its specific method summoning, while Attacker's Disigma-esque effect was not (summoning it the way it was intended to only gave it a small supporting effect). Therefore, the limited versatility of the nuke allowed for a sense of balance. On another note, if it's nukes that we're talking about, Black Rose is stronger and far easier to get out.

Anyways, gg Zazu. A good challenge as always.

Archived