[Leaderboard] ~Renegade~ VS. Silent Luminus [Vote Now!]

Ren✧

1. All rules of 1v1 apply.
2. All spamming, trolling, flaming, etc. will be reported on sight
3. Cards are due ASAP!

4. Voting ends when the season ends, so June 23rd.

5. Winner will receive 1 LIKE from the loser
6. Please submit card through PM
7. This contest will be using the 'Card A' & 'Card B' system
8. Have fun!

[spoiler=Card Requirements]

Create a Toon Monster that would help further Toons in the meta game

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card A]

MeteorToonDragon-1.png?t=1371836893

2 Toon Monsters

Must be Special Summoned(from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard while you control "Toon World". (You do not use "Polymerization") Cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. You can only control 1 face-up "Meteor Toon Dragon". If a face-up "Toon World" that you control would be destroyed: Destroy this card instead. If this card is destroyed by a card effect: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls. As long as you control this face-up monster: Toon Monsters cost 1 less Tribute to Summon.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card B]

y0D4eiT.jpg

Effect:

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If there are 3 or more Toon monsters in your Graveyard and you control a face-up "Toon World": You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot attack the turn it is Summoned. If "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, destroy this card. While you control "Toon World" and your opponent controls no Toon Monsters, this card can attack your opponent directly. You can only control 1 face-up "Toon Dark Armed Dragon". Once per turn: You can banish 1 Toon monster in your Graveyard; destroy 1 card on the field.

[/spoiler]

Hard decision is hard. Time to delve into these cards.

Card A:

Very good execution of a Toon Card. I like that it gives its life for Toon World as opposed to commiting suicide when Toon World is destroyed. I also like it punishes your opponent if they so choose to tread the path of attempting to kill your World, which will result in players completely ignoring World while it is on the field, which is fine. The 1 less Tribute thing is the shining effect on the card, making Summoned Skull that much easier and overall makes the game much more pressured on the opponent. I also like that you treaded a little away from the normal Toon "Summoning Sickness" effect. The thing is, however, you removed every aspect of a Toon monster from the card, and while it is great Toon Support, I can't really view the card as a Toon itself. Like, really, AMAZING Toon Support.

Card B:

Much more Toon-like, copying and pasting is fun. The easy Summon and high ATK puts much needed pressure on your opponent, and the DAD effect (however OPT) also adds to this, overall creating a nice Toon Boss-Like monster. It shares the flaw of all other Toon Monsters, which is a minus, but atleast it makes it a Toon itself as far as card design go.

Although I really love Card A, again, it is Toon Support, not so much of a Toon itself (having every Toon aspect striped clean from it), and thus I have to vote for Card B as it fulfills the requirements far better in my eyes and is still a great card despite the fact I had half of what I had to say about Card A. Both would help further the Toons in a competitive sense, and while A does that a tad better then B, B is an easier Summon and removal while adding pressure, everything "Meta" Decks want in a card.

Card A:

Not only does this bring some life to Toon monsters, it incorporates it through fusions, which is a very brave thing to try. I personally enjoy the creative spark behind it. It is pretty easy to get out in a deck that is full of toons, but then the reliance on Toon World being on the field does make it necessary to stay competitive. What appeals to me in its effect is that while being a great card by itself, it also makes other toons more usable with the reduction in tributing it creates. With that this card can allow high level toons to swarm the field if the opponent isn't ready. I am slightly bothered that this card doesn't attack directly though, since I'm pretty sure Toon monsters aren't supposed to be allowed to attack other monsters. If this card could attack directly it would be far too powerful though, so I can roll with it. 

Card B:

This card adapts Dark Armed Dragon's effect to suit toons which is a believable idea. However I'm not sure if Dark Armed Dragon is the best template for the card since, as its name suggests, it should really be relying on DARK  toon monsters, not any toon monsters. Since there are so few toon monsters around I realise that isn't possible. This card sticks to the original conventions of toons more than Card A, yet is more competitive than most older toon cards thanks to its last effect which can destroy a card on the field. Even with this though, it isn't the easiest card to get out (it is pretty much a dead draw if you draw it straight away), and by sticking to the usual conventions such as not being able to attack on the turn it is summoned, it remains a very vulnerable card. 

Card B admirably fits into the existing Toons better, but Card A is a bit more competitive, while helping assist older toon monsters with its own effect. 

Nice cards, but Card A snatches it for me!

Well here it is matter of "do you want classic?" or "do you want original?" Card A is obviously more competitive, amassing a great number of ATK points as well as powerful effects that Toons will most definitely need. Yet, despite the archetypes decrepit composure, it manages to stay balanced, as well as having a heavy reliance on Toon World, yet still adding protection. I can kinda agree with what Therrion is saying, but I think he might be a little too obsessed with what defines a Toon Monster. Seeing as it is an extra deck monster, Card A is bound to push limits that Toons haven't gone before as well as being introduced into an age of the game that is vastly different from the one that Toons are left in. 

Card B is classic, cut and paste Toon. And while there is nothing overly wrong with it, there is nothing overly special either. It is literally just Dark Armed dragon for Toons and it doesn't boast much creativity at all. It provides a decent destruction engine for them, but Toons are difficult(in a way) to get in the Graveyard because their inability to be attacked. Sure, effect destruction is a surplus in this format, but that is still one less option. 

Card A is the obvious vote for me. I don't say that to be mean to Card B, but it doesn't push any boundaries and doesn't venture into creativity. Card A does a very good job of that as well as creating awesome support for Toon monsters. 

Card A is very nice in terms of creativity, taking the idea of a Toon monster to a completely different perspective by introducing the concept of a Toon Fusion. However, as Therrion implied, I think the creativity was taken one step too far, and it now transcends the barrier of Toon effects and restrictions. Granted, I know it was an attempt at originality, but as of now, Card A should be an Effect monster rather than a Toon itself, since it doesn't carry any traits of actual toon effects.

Card B is also a solid card, acting as a usable force in the deck itself, and, being a toon version of Dark Armed Dragon, gives the deck its own Hyperion. However, unlike Dark Armed Dragon, its summoning conditions make it more flexible, since any number three or beyond will do, as opposed to Dark Armed's precise request - granted, toons aren't as versatile as an entire Attribute, but nevertheless, getting three toons in the Grave isn't difficult.

I honestly wouldn't know who to vote here, since both cards are great in their own regard. So, *being nitpicky here* while Card A's flavor is great, its effects just don't reflect the trademark abilities of the Toon sub-type, and while both cards make great Toon support, the fact that Card A isn't so much a toon as an effect monster with a toon status slapped onto it, I will be voting Card B. Again, compliments to both of you for making such nice cards!

Card A is very nice in terms of creativity, taking the idea of a Toon monster to a completely different perspective by introducing the concept of a Toon Fusion. However, as Therrion implied, I think the creativity was taken one step too far, and it now transcends the barrier of Toon effects and restrictions. Granted, I know it was an attempt at originality, but as of now, Card A should be an Effect monster rather than a Toon itself, since it doesn't carry any traits of actual toon effects.

Card B is also a solid card, acting as a usable force in the deck itself, and, being a toon version of Dark Armed Dragon, gives the deck its own Hyperion. However, unlike Dark Armed Dragon, its summoning conditions make it more flexible, since any number three or beyond will do, as opposed to Dark Armed's precise request - granted, toons aren't as versatile as an entire Attribute, but nevertheless, getting three toons in the Grave isn't difficult.

I honestly wouldn't know who to vote here, since both cards are great in their own regard. So, *being nitpicky here* while Card A's flavor is great, its effects just don't reflect the trademark abilities of the Toon sub-type, and while both cards make great Toon support, the fact that Card A isn't so much a toon as an effect monster with a toon status slapped onto it, I will be voting Card B. Again, compliments to both of you for making such nice cards!

Gah! It seems as if my creative genius is too much for YCM, jk, of course. Thanks for voting Zextra! Although if you look at my status, I would have strong armed you into voting no matter what  :P. Anyway, thanks for voting. Off to sleep now!

Not sure if I break any rules by doing so, but I would like to stand by what I said as two things have been aimed at my post.

@Renegade: Dark Armed does require a few turns to have taken place, but in the end it is a free Summon that doesn't require 2 monsters to achieve (which will be hard for such a weak Sub-Type). If Toons had more Special Summoning and etc. then I would quickly change the statement about the ease of Summoning, but as Toons stand, your opponent has to be in a really bad draw bind or your traps are good enough to protect you if you manage to maintain 2 Toons. For TDAD, you don't need that support. All you need is him in hand.

@Red: As for the requirements. I know the approach was original, but I would've liked to see atleast one effect on it to make it Toon. Slapping a Sub-Type onto something that has no relations doesn't appeal to me. It's like making a monster that is just an effect monster with some regular old effect and giving it the Sub-Type of Gemini. It doesn't fit, and doesn't feel right. I love the card, but I didn't have that Toon feel outside the name and art. The card is far superior then Card B, and I know that, it just didn't seem to fit the requirements as well as Card B and in a contest, when playability is near a tie, flavor/design takes an important role as the deciding factor and sadly Card A didn't achieve the design in my eyes.

Gah! It seems as if my creative genius is too much for YCM, jk, of course. Thanks for voting Zextra! Although if you look at my status, I would have strong armed you into voting no matter what   :P. Anyway, thanks for voting. Off to sleep now!

Creativity is a good thing, trust me - except when you overstep the requirements in the process. If your requirements was altered just a tiny bit to say "Toon support", you might just have gotten my vote (though choosing in that situation would kill me) xD

Is it possible to take creativity too far? I am sure there probably is, but that is a debate for another time.

Card A is obviously a bold move for a card creator, attempting something with Toons that hasn't ever been touched upon, not even on this site as far as I know...but then again I am rarely active and fairly new. So originality and creativity are superb here. I can agree with the fact that it could probably be better suited to be a Raptinus-eque card, but it isn't so off center that it would be demoted because you were daring. I don't think it is entirely fair to say that you removed all Toon aspects either, it is still heavily dependent on Toon World, so while not the exact same, it still stands by the most sacred rule of Toon Monsters and that is the reliance on Toon World. Offering revenge in terms of trying to destroy Toon World is nice as well. 

Card B is easily playable in a Toon solid deck, and stays closer to home when designing a Toon monster, but it feels as if I have seen this card before...because well we have. It isn't anything special or unique. Basically a Dark Armed Dragon for Toons(well no duh, Gawayn). Still playability is nice, simplicity is obvious in the card. 

It is a difficult vote. New or classic? Gah! I wish I wasn't the deciding factor here. I think I am going to have to go with Card A, even though it is against my better judgment. I understand that it steps outside the requirement, and should probably be labeled as an effect monster, but it is a pretty impressive card when it comes down to it. A power house that manages to stay well within the realm of balanced is something to celebrate. Please don't hate me for my vote, because I already feel guilty enough...as I would have if I voted for Card B. Actually thinking of not posting this right now...letting it fall to someone else.

Your vote was the difference between him being tied for 18th or 29th on the leaderboard. You should feel ashamed!

jk obviously. You shouldn't feel bad for what you believe, and guilt shouldn't decide your votes, so don't let it. You did fine, and abided by the rules.

Not sure if I break any rules by doing so, but I would like to stand by what I said as two things have been aimed at my post.

@Renegade: Dark Armed does require a few turns to have taken place, but in the end it is a free Summon that doesn't require 2 monsters to achieve (which will be hard for such a weak Sub-Type). If Toons had more Special Summoning and etc. then I would quickly change the statement about the ease of Summoning, but as Toons stand, your opponent has to be in a really bad draw bind or your traps are good enough to protect you if you manage to maintain 2 Toons. For TDAD, you don't need that support. All you need is him in hand.

You don't need to maintain 2 Toons, it can be from your side of the field or from your hand. But doesn't matter anymore. 

Thank you everyone for your votes and reviews, you have given me something to think about. 

Great game Luminus, perfect closer for the season!

You don't need to maintain 2 Toons, it can be from your side of the field or from your hand. But doesn't matter anymore. 

I just was about to say that. :P

If it was just from the field I would have probably voted on Card B, but hand or field makes it more consistent to summon than Luminous' card. 

Just to add:

As for the requirement, which was "Create a Toon Monster that would help further Toons in the meta game", well, I agree it deviates from the core toon design, but the requirement doesn't out right say toon support isn't a valid option, and there are cards with toon in their name that don't have the ordinary toon conditions and are also support (i.e. toon alligator (admittedly bad support, but still)), so I don't think he overstepped the mark too much. Also, given that it is to 'further toons in the meta game', card A at least does that effectively. 

That being said Luminous is a good card maker, so you'll get plenty of wins if you keep at it I'm sure. :)

Toon Alligator has Toon in name and nothing else. The Dragon has Toon slapped on to make it a Toon to fit the requirements, but like Toon Alligator, is nothing like normal Toon Monsters.

I didn't see the hand part, which may have held more influence over my vote, but I stand by my opinion in the fact is just didn't seem like a Toon Monsters, just Toon Support. Check out his post in Singles, though, as it has some Toonlike effects on it.

Archived