[Leaderboard] Finished. Zextra vs Silent Luminus

Zextra

Rules:
• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 8:00 PST on June 23rd.
• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning

Requirements:
Make a Trap that Special Summons a monster (such as Call of the Haunted, Limit Reverse, etc.)

Prize:
1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:
Each successful vote earns the voter a rep!

Scoreboard:

Silent Luminus: 0

Zextra: 3

[spoiler=Silent Luminus' Card]

kCk4N7O.jpg

Effect:

Activate only while there are 2 or more Token monsters on the field. Destroy all Token monsters on the field, and Special Summon 1 monster from your hand or Graveyard with a Level equal to or less than the total Level of the destroyed Token monsters. Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of Token monsters destroyed by this effect x500.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Zextra's Card]

psychicrift.png

Effect:

Activate only when an opponent’s monster declares an attack. Banish 1 monster in your Deck and end the Battle Phase. During your Main Phase: You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard and discard 1 monster from your hand with a Level equal to the Level of the monster banished by this card’s effect; Special Summon the banished monster.

[/spoiler]

Oh, both cards are really good in my eyes, in their own ways.

Card A:

Really good approach to the requirement, and really surprised me. The effect is original and very well executed. Would work great with Phantom Skyblaster/Gorz (provided you manage to have a 2nd token somewhere). Photon Sanctuary makes for an instant fulfillment. If you want, you could go with Ojama Trio and just SS some Lv. 3 monster to get a quick 2600 damage in. I like the effect, but can't see it being powerful or useful,

Card B:

Another really nice approach to the requirement. The one time Negate Attack is decent, and the discard is rather costly, essentially requiring two cards for a Deck Special Summon, but the Special Summon is conditional and relies on your hand. Though, you don't have to do it the very next turn, being able to wait to draw the correct level. I really love this card, and is really nice with certain decks like Banish Psychics (being the most prominent). While not being good enough to be competitive, outshines Card A in terms of playability.

That being said, while Card A was a very nice card, it was just matched up against an even more creative, nice card and thus outshone. Card B has my vote, sorry Sil.

I really like both of these cards. Anyway:

A:

Decks that can swarm the field with tokens need plenty of ways to use them so I like how this can utilize them. Given the burn damage it could possibly fit into a Burn deck, with cards like Goka, the Pyre of Malice and spell and trap token support yadda yadda. Of course, the main limitation of the card is that it can only Special Summon up to the level of the tokens combined, since most tokens are of a low level, this makes it difficult to actually get something decent out in the process, making cards like the aforementioned and Dandylion etc. Less useful. It if had sufficient support, it could be deadly in combination with Gorz though (Level 7 + whatever other token you have = Level 8+), still though, when I compare this card to Call of the Haunted/Monster Reborn, I have to question if it is worth the effort of needing tokens just for the added bonus of inflicting minor burn damage. 

B:

This card is basically imposing an effect similar to Threatening Roar to begin with, which may, or may not materialize into a powerful Special Summon. Because the banished monster is taken from the deck and can easily be matched to the same level as a monster in the hand, its not too difficult to Special Summon with its effect, making it potentially very dangerous for the opponent. However, what I like about this card is how it must be activated during your opponent's attack, giving them a Main Phase 2 to try and destroy it. It doesn't give them much leeway, but allows MST's and heavy storms etc to intercept if they are able to. Because it ends the battle phase and can Special Summon with a reasonable chance of success, I think it is maybe a bit too powerful. However, the delay for the SS, and the discard does balance it out a bit, so I think it is a solid card. 

I do like what Card A does with tokens, but it feels slightly underwhelming for the effort (to me, at least). Card B is possibly a bit overwhelming in comparison, but has just enough drawback for me to dig it. 

So, after paragraphs of rambling, I'll finally vote for card B, and as Therrion said, sorry Sil! 

Would it be completely evil of me to not vote for Zextra, and rally against him to stay in the top seat of the Leaderboard?

[hr]

Luminus' card is a very unique look at the requirement, showing creativity and originality, which, as anyone that has been paying attention to my votes would know, plays a big role in my voting process. I can see some lulzy plays with Ojama Trio, as well as fitting into a Jam Breeding Device.dek. I don't play Mecha Phantom Beasts, but it is obvious this could support them as well. Unfortunately it is a bit limited, in what it can do. But in what it is supposed to do, it does very well.

Well Zextra should already know how I feel about this card, as my opinions have not changed since he posted it in RC. The Psychic Rift is a pretty great card, fairly original, although I would say that Luminus' card definitely wins in originality here, but still it isn't anything to scoff at on the creativity scale. Although, unlike others, I can see this card being a little underwhelming as well. It requires a discard, and not just that, but a specific discard to special summon the banished monster. That seems like a bit much work, it could probably be limited to just a discard, but there is currently an argument going on in my head about the pros and cons about that. 

So the questions has to come down to it. Do I vote for card A, and keep this battle going? It could definitely deserve the vote. While being a limited card, it is a very creative look to the requirement, something that I didn't see coming at all. Which is kinda hard to do...not that I am bragging or anything. Or do I vote for Card B and solidify Zextra as number 1? Once again, I would have no qualms about voting for this card either, it is competitive and usable. Even if it sparked a controversial debate with myself. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan that Zextra was able to gain the help of the card making community with this, seeing as he has posted it in RC before. At this point, I am really just rambling on so as to keep the suspense up. 

[spoiler=So]

[spoiler=my]

[spoiler=vote]

[spoiler=goes]

[spoiler=to]

[spoiler=*insert]

[spoiler=drumroll*]

[spoiler=*drum noises*]

[spoiler=Card]

B. I have to apologize to Luminus here, who has done a great job at card making, and has just been losing by just the smallest things. I hope this doesn't discourage you from being a competitive card maker, and I am hoping to see you back next season. I really did love your card, and as I said, you had my creativity vote. The only reason that I didn't vote against Zextra was that technically he can use cards that he has already posted in RC. So I can't hold that against him, and his usability trumps originality. And thus ends, the showdown for top seat. 

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Would it be completely evil of me to not vote for Zextra, and rally against him to stay in the top seat of the Leaderboard?

[hr]

Luminus' card is a very unique look at the requirement, showing creativity and originality, which, as anyone that has been paying attention to my votes would know, plays a big role in my voting process. I can see some lulzy plays with Ojama Trio, as well as fitting into a Jam Breeding Device.dek. I don't play Mecha Phantom Beasts, but it is obvious this could support them as well. Unfortunately it is a bit limited, in what it can do. But in what it is supposed to do, it does very well.

Well Zextra should already know how I feel about this card, as my opinions have not changed since he posted it in RC. The Psychic Rift is a pretty great card, fairly original, although I would say that Luminus' card definitely wins in originality here, but still it isn't anything to scoff at on the creativity scale. Although, unlike others, I can see this card being a little underwhelming as well. It requires a discard, and not just that, but a specific discard to special summon the banished monster. That seems like a bit much work, it could probably be limited to just a discard, but there is currently an argument going on in my head about the pros and cons about that. 

So the questions has to come down to it. Do I vote for card A, and keep this battle going? It could definitely deserve the vote. While being a limited card, it is a very creative look to the requirement, something that I didn't see coming at all. Which is kinda hard to do...not that I am bragging or anything. Or do I vote for Card B and solidify Zextra as number 1? Once again, I would have no qualms about voting for this card either, it is competitive and usable. Even if it sparked a controversial debate with myself. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan that Zextra was able to gain the help of the card making community with this, seeing as he has posted it in RC before. At this point, I am really just rambling on so as to keep the suspense up. 

[spoiler=So]

[spoiler=my]

[spoiler=vote]

[spoiler=goes]

[spoiler=to]

[spoiler=*insert]

[spoiler=drumroll*]

[spoiler=*drum noises*]

[spoiler=Card]

B. I have to apologize to Luminus here, who has done a great job at card making, and has just been losing by just the smallest things. I hope this doesn't discourage you from being a competitive card maker, and I am hoping to see you back next season. I really did love your card, and as I said, you had my creativity vote. The only reason that I didn't vote against Zextra was that technically he can use cards that he has already posted in RC. So I can't hold that against him, and his usability trumps originality. And thus ends, the showdown for top seat. 

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I admit, I got lazy here, and I do apologize to Luminus (and everyone else who would be bothered by that fact) that I used a card that I had previously posted. But obviously, that won't be happening again :p

And thank you for voting, Renegade - you seriously had my heart pounding there. And honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised should you have voted for Luminus; I, personally, believe that Luminus' card trumped mine in more ways than one (and obviously all the voters liked it), so I applaud you there. But overall, you put up quite the challenge, and you'll definitely be quite the threat next season. >:3

Good game, and thanks again to all the voters!

Archived