[Warm-up for Next Season] Viva Havana! - A Cuban-themed 1v1 (Mihails vs. ~Renegade~), voters get reps!

Mehmani

As I am going to Cuba with some friends next week and I found an old set I made four years ago based on Che Guevara (inorite?), I thought a Cuban-themed 1v1 to warm up for next season would be fun. 

Rules:

- The card must be a generic Spell or Trap Card.

- It must, in some way, involve an aspect of Cuban culture or a historical event.

- First to three.

Voting closes on the 28th. PM me and we'll get this started.

[spoiler=Alfred's Card]

Black Spring

Normal Spell Card

If your opponent controls 4 or more monsters or 2 or more Xyz monsters: You can activate this card during your opponent's turn. Destroy all Level 4 or higher monsters on the field. 

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=~Renegade~'s Card]

Missile Crisis

Continuous Spell Card
As long as this card is face-up on the field, players must have 1 more monster than their opponent to declare an attack. If this card is destroyed by an opponent's card: Destroy 1 card on your opponent's side of the field. You can only control 1 face-up "Missile Crisis".[/spoiler]

Card A is really weird. A Normal Spell Card that can be activated during your opponent's turn. Does this make it Spell Speed 2 then? In that case, can you chain it to other card? I will say, it is interesting, though at the same time, it is powerful, though it is still limited towards yourself as well, so it kind of has Dark Hole-status in that regard, and since the requirement to be able to use it during your opponent's turn is kinda hard to even achive, I suppose it's fine as it is. Card B is a Kaiser Colosseum inspired card which works the opposite way in wanting you to have more monsters, instead of less which is interesting, but it has a thing I kind of dislike, the free destroy when it's gone, making it basically a MST-target Trap, and getting rid of it is annoying. It is also for you it works, but if you are going to use this card, your Deck probably plays it better than your opponent's would, which means you can more easily abuse it, and in that way sit with a free destroy whenever. I can't really speak in terms of flavor on these cards, as I don't know much about Cuban history and culture. Oh, and the OCG on the second card is terribad, but I never take that into account in my votes, unless it is made in a way which I cannot tell if it does something that radically changes it. My vote goes to Card A, Alfred's card.

Card A:

With the addition of Xyz Monsters, Level-reliant effects have become weaker and less encouraged to run as a whole, thus this card isn't OP in any sense of the word. If you can use it on the opponent's turn, then it must be SS2, which is chainable to other SS2 effects, but as adressed by Zazu the conditions are rather difficult to achieve anyways. I can't really see it being ran all too often by competitive players, while being God-like and banworthy in the eyes of casuals. I also don't know about Cuban History/Culture, so I can't comment on that.

Card B:

Reminded me of Kaiser Colliseum, then I saw it did similar to Zazu. The card can go both ways, for or against you, which I like in a design. If you get 5 monsters on the field, there is no way your opponent will ever attack, in which case they have to go the -1 road of destroying this card (given they have access to S/T destruction readily available). Used while Kaiser Colliseum is in play is a very nice play, as it prevents your opponent from attacking period, as they'll never have more monsters then you. Pretty basic, and I know the reference to Cuban History here, which allows me to see the flavor in the last line of text, but not really as much in the first. However, I can't judge by flavor here as I don't know any from Card A, and thus would be unfair.

My vote has to be for Card B, as I like control via monster count. Also, I loved Kaiser Colliseum before I became good at the game, and the throwback to it made the card appeal to me. While the card has its flaws, I find it better (not in a competitive sense, just in a general sense) equipped to find a home in a deck.

Just a thought - how many votes wins? Is it first to three, or to five? Currently 1-1.

And as a note to Renegade, I really like your card. It's clever how you made the effect representative of the Cuban Missile Crisis as well as styling it on Kaiser Colluseum, which was also a favourite of mine when I started out.

Sorry I haven't been on today. Visiting colleges and saw World War Z took up my day. First off, thank you to everyone that has voted! It is nice to get into a competition that doesn't have so much pressure about it. 

Just a thought - how many votes wins? Is it first to three, or to five? Currently 1-1.

And as a note to Renegade, I really like your card. It's clever how you made the effect representative of the Cuban Missile Crisis as well as styling it on Kaiser Colluseum, which was also a favourite of mine when I started out.

Hahaha well thanks, but it isn't so much creativity, more than it is desperation. It is really the only thing that I know about Cuba. I don't really know the flavor behind your card, but it definitely has its merits. I almost up for a little Anti-Xyz action. Although the fact that it is a Normal Spell is throwing me off a bit, not in a bad way, just something different.

Archived