"Seance Beckoned" (STILL the only Ritual Spirit archetype)

Welp, first time I posted these up, I had one too many glasses of cinnamon tea during their scheming process. I once had the goofy idea to combine the summoning of Rituals with the Spirit subtype to create a weird little Archetype. The unique thing about the Ritual Spirits in this group is they do NOT bounce back to the hand if Ritual Summoned, despite being Spirits themselves. A warning, while the é has no issues in the names of these cards, that gets transformed into something else in the card effects and I don't know how to fix that.

I wouldn't be remaking this thread if I hadn't added new things to this or made some tweaks... I'm gonna have to remake the cards anyway to fix the Set Numberings, anyway...

~Ritual Monsters~
Name: Séance Beckoned - Headless Horseman
Attribute: FIRE
Level: 6
Type: Zombie/Ritual/Spirit
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. When this monster is Summoned, Special Summon 1 "Flaming Pumpkin Head" Token (FIRE/Plant-type/Level 1/ATK: 500/DEF: 500) to your side of the field. Once per turn, Special Summon 1 "Flaming Pumpkin Head" Token to your side of the field. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: you can tribute any number of "Flaming Pumpkin Head" tokens you control to target an equal number of cards on the field; destroy those targets.
ATK: 2500
DEF: 2100

[spoiler=The Horseman has art.]FMUGcud.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Beckoned - Bloody Mary
Attribute: WATER
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. When this monster is Ritual Summoned, send the top 5 cards of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard. If an opponent has 15 or more cards in their Graveyard, negate any card effect that would move a card in their Graveyard, other than itself, to a different place.
ATK: 1700
[spoiler=Bloody Mary now has art featuring the queen Mary.]z7giZBY.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Beckoned - Vântoase
Attribute: WIND
Level: 8
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. When this monster is Ritual Summoned, return all Spell/Trap Cards to their owner's hand.
ATK: 2700
DEF: 1800
[spoiler=Vântoase is the third to get its card image and what a pretty it is.]5T6j3iN.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Beckoned - The Wild Hunt
Attribute: EARTH
Level: 8
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. Once per turn, during either player's turn, the Turn player may Special Summon from their Graveyard 1 non-Ritual "Séance" monster, ignoring all summoning conditions. If a monster is summoned by this effect, the Summoned Monster's controller pays LP equal to the Monster's Level x300 and is returned to the Hand during the next End Phase.
ATK: 2400
[spoiler=On a roll! Here's The Wild Hunt!]I8Tqzt4.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Beckoned - Moroi
Attribute: DARK
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. If this monster was destroyed by battle, this card's owner may Special Summon this monster to their side of the field during the End Phase and increase its ATK by 500. If Special Summoned by this effect, this card does not return to the Hand during the End Phase.
ATK: 2200
DEF: 1600
[spoiler=Yes, I just HAD to use the image from the Moroii from M:TG, it looked too awesome to pass up.]mEhb7vg.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Beckoned - The White Lady
Attribute: LIGHT
Level: 5
Effect: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card. If this monster is Special Summoned by other means, it is returned to the Hand during the turn's End Phase. Whenever a card is returned to the Hand or Deck from the Field, including itself, this card's controller gains 800 LP.
ATK: 2200
[spoiler=The only person I could give credit for art to was someone named 'White Goose'...and it's now unbroken.]1mMUBOC.png[/spoiler]

~Non-Ritual Monsters~
Name: Séance Leader
Level: 3
Type: Spellcaster/Effect
Effect: If this card is sent from the Field or Deck to the Graveyard for the Ritual Summon of a "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster, increase your LP by 500 and return this card to your Hand during your End Phase. You may only use the effect of "Séance Leader" once per turn.
ATK: 1200
DEF: 700
[spoiler=Updated art has been found for this card...now it's not cartoon-looking...]xeE5kkj.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Follower
Level: 2
Type: Spellcaster/Effect
Effect: If this card is sent from the Field or Deck to the Graveyard for the Ritual Summon of a "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster, increase your LP by 500 and return this card to your Hand during your End Phase. Shuffle your Deck afterwards. You may only use the effect of "Séance Follower" once per turn.
ATK: 700
DEF: 500
[spoiler=And this one bows to those before...]tsbvTfo.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Guardian
Attribute: DARK
Level: 4
Type: Warrior/Effect
Effect: When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: You may Special Summon this card from your hand in face-up Defense Position, but it returns to the Hand during the next End Phase.
ATK: 700

[spoiler=Anger not those whom can appear out of nowhere.]c2KfAuj.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Hound
Attribute: EARTH
Level: 3
Type: Beast/Spirit
Effect: Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. When this monster is Normal Summoned: Return 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your Deck OR 1 Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard to your Hand. You may only use this effect of "Séance Hound" once per turn.
ATK: 1700
DEF: 200
[spoiler=The Hound has some art as well now.]Y8qYpXl.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Seeker
Attribute: WIND
Level: 1
Type: Winged Beast/Spirit
Effect: Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. Once per turn, when this monster is Normal Summoned: Search your deck for a "Séance" card and place it your hand. If you do, shuffle your deck and reduce your LP by 1000. You may only use the effect of "Séance Seeker" once per turn.
ATK: 100
DEF: 100
[spoiler=And the Seeker has arrived!]5zpO3qX.png[/spoiler]
Name: Séance Channeller
Level: 1
Type: Spellcaster/Spirit
Effect: Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. This card can be used as the entire tribute for the Ritual Summon of a "Séance Beckoned" monster while face-up on the field, but it is banished afterwards. If this card is sent from the Hand or Deck to the Graveyard for the Ritual Summon of a "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster: the Ritual Summoned monster is returned to your hand during your next End Phase. You may only use the effect of "Séance Channeller" once per turn.
ATK: 300
DEF: 200
[spoiler=And the Channeller is both everywhere and nowhere.]VVzKdBQ.png[/spoiler]

~Spell Cards~
Name: Séance Calling
Type: Ritual Spell
Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute Spirit Monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. Once per turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You may banish this card plus any number of monsters from your Graveyard to Ritual Summon one "Séance Beckoned" from your Graveyard whose level equals the total level of all monsters banished by this effect.
[spoiler=Finally, a non-Charmed-related picture for this card.]bJtCaRG.png[/spoiler]
Name: Beckoning Séance From Beyond
Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster. You may send Monsters from your Deck to your Graveyard whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. Once per turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: Banish any number of monsters from your Graveyard; Ritual Summon one Banished "Séance Beckoned" you own to the Field with a level equal to the total level of all monsters banished by this card's effect.
[spoiler=Combined a pair of images for this one.]hGLmTL6.png[/spoiler]
Name: Words of the Forbidden Séance
Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster. You may Banish Monsters from your Graveyard whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. If you Banish a Ritual Monster with the same name as the monster Ritual Summoned by this card, double the ATK/DEF of the summoned monster.
[spoiler=The first non-Ritual-Monster to get a card image is this one.]a6vYg2q.png[/spoiler]

Name: Unexpected Ritual
Effect: This Set card can be activated during your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase. This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Séance Beckoned" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute Monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. This card cannot be negated if activated during your opponent's turn.
[spoiler=Whoa, wait, a Ritual that's a pseudo-trap?]JKAUVFy.png[/spoiler]

Name: Séance Shadow
Type: Equip Spell
Effect: Select 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; equip this card to the selected monster. You may Tribute the monster equipped with this card for the Ritual Summon of a "Séance Beckoned" monster. If the monster equipped with this card leaves the field, the monster's controller draws a card.
[spoiler=Reworked this into an Equip Spell instead of a monster]GijQ6nb.png[/spoiler]
Name: Doorway to the Realm Beyond
Type: Field Spell
Effect: (This card is treated as a "Séance" card.)
Once per turn, you can Normal Summon 1 "Séance" monster in addition to your Normal Summon or Set. During each of your opponent's Standby Phases: Place 1 Stability Counter on this card. While there are 4 or more Stability Counters on this card, you do not take any Battle Damage while you control no monsters. When this card with 4 or more Stability Counters is sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "Séance" monster from your hand or Deck, ignoring all other summoning conditions. "Séance Beckoned" monsters summoned by this effect are treated as if they had been Ritual Summoned.
[spoiler=I can see this super-impose itself over another Field Spell that the opponent may use.]I9ruHV6.png[/spoiler]

~Trap Cards~
Name: Chains of the Séance
Type: Normal Trap
Effect: Activate only when a "Séance Beckoned" monster is Ritual Summoned. Select one card on your opponent's field and Banish it. If a face-down card was selected, it is Banished face-up instead. If the Ritual Summoned monster used to activate this effect leaves the field: Return the Banished card to the field in its original position.
[spoiler=The Energy that Summons can also Capture!]ocAnmAe.png[/spoiler]
Name: Possessive Séance
Type: Continuous Trap
Effect: When this card is activated, place 1 Possession Counter on every non-Spirit monster on the field. Whenever a Spirit monster is summoned: Place 1 Possession Counter on every non-Spirit monster on the field. Monsters with a Possession Counter on it are treated as Spirit Monsters. When this card leaves the field, all monsters with a Possession Counter return to the hand. "Séance" monsters increase their ATK and DEF by 100x the number of Possession Counters on the field.
[spoiler=And the souls present become tainted with those of the deceased.]uhxiaaD.png[/spoiler]

Hmm... This is a good set that coordinates well, and reminds me of the Gishki archetype. A lot of deck searchers so the chance to have all of the necessary cards in your hand for a Ritual summon are great. Seems like you focus on field and hand control, that should be enough to compensate the lack of field present that Spirit decks can easily run into. The idea is quite original, and many of this set Monster can be summoned with ease. The artworks are amazing, though some of them look a bit unproportional (Guardian looks like the artwork was stretched to fit the frame)

However, I wish to share some thoughts on the card.

- SInce Ritual mosters cannot be Normal summoned or Set anyway, why add the clause: " Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Séance" Ritual Spell Card"? Being Ritual Monsters, it's not like they can be anyway, right? My suggestion for the errata: Must first be Ritual Summoned with "Séance" Ritual Spell Card." Much more concise, and it would give you more room to display the effect of the card.

- The price to activate a stalling effect, especially one that has a great benefit the Spirit player like "Bloody Mary" usually requires the user to pay, rather than the opponent. Banishing up to 15 cards of your opponent is a difficult task, so I guess that it's now at the point of overpower yet, but there is instablility that could present itself: there are that many cards that allow players to return banished cards to their Deck, and many more that utilise banishment as an advantage.

For example: you run into an opponent could play, idk, Necroface for example, and that'd undermine all your hard work of banishing card. That could hinder you, rather than your opponent. I suggest 10 cards (or 15, if you prefer) in your banished zone instead. You have more control of the situation that way. And just in case you feel like that's a bit too much, how about shuffle back one card per turn to your Deck/retuning one card per turn to the graveyard.

- Err, "Vantoase" may be a bit much. Returning all cards, except for Spirits could result in an OTK, especially with your set that could fill the field with powerful Rituals. I suggest either limit down the Special summon during that turn, or no attack during that turn, or something like that. (Although limit down the SPecial summon would give you the possibility to Normal Summon another Spirit, way more beneficial the the later)

-  Usually, an balanced stalling effect like that of "Headless" would requires you either to pay the price for security or it would affect both players. Think Gravity Bind, for example, it affects the whole field, not just your opponent. My suggestion: Either banish cards from your Deck, or maybe both players' deck. (The former is more balancing, however)

'K, that's all that I can think of. Anyway, I wanna ask you whether I can feature the link to this thread in my thread about Spirit monsters? I really do like your cards, both the idea and the playing style. 

P.s: I'm sorry if I'm being nit-picking (I'm a bit of a perfectionist)

I should probably give my reasoning as to why I had the Bloody Mary the way she is.

She is actually inspired by a real person in history, a queen that often had various victims beheaded. I admittedly could probably actually have it so that the cards she sends are to the Graveyard to simulate the beheaddings, instead and alter the 'banish-prevention' effect she has to something else to reflect the feeling of fear others may have of her and its various effects. Such beheaddings in the past is why only your opponent is affected, not both halves. It's pretty much her saying "Off with his head!" at the foe.

And as for Vântoase, she's based of a mythical wind spirit. Her original effect would have had her trigger her 'blowaway' effect when she was summoned, period, but had been changed to only when she's Ritual Summoned. While there may be a fair number of ways to Ritual Summon her, you'd have to tribute 8 stars worth to bring her out if using a Ritual Spell. She also blows back your own Spells and Traps as well.

EDIT: ...and I hugely misunderstood the origin of the legend behind the Bloody Mary, even if it does often feature a Queen Mary...I guess that card's getting redone as a whole, anyway...

I should probably give my reasoning as to why I had the Bloody Mary the way she is.

She is actually inspired by a real person in history, a queen that often had various victims beheaded. I admittedly could probably actually have it so that the cards she sends are to the Graveyard to simulate the beheaddings, instead and alter the 'banish-prevention' effect she has to something else to reflect the feeling of fear others may have of her and its various effects. Such beheaddings in the past is why only your opponent is affected, not both halves. It's pretty much her saying "Off with his head!" at the foe.

And as for Vântoase, she's based of a mythical wind spirit. Her original effect would have had her trigger her 'blowaway' effect when she was summoned, period, but had been changed to only when she's Ritual Summoned. While there may be a fair number of ways to Ritual Summon her, you'd have to tribute 8 stars worth to bring her out if using a Ritual Spell. She also blows back your own Spells and Traps as well.

EDIT: ...and I hugely misunderstood the origin of the legend behind the Bloody Mary, even if it does often feature a Queen Mary...I guess that card's getting redone as a whole, anyway...

Ah, the famous headless Queen Mary ghost, right? If that's the legend you are refering to, then I would love to see the remake. (Although she's still a ghost that has incited fear in many people due to her gruesome appearance)

Hmm, well I guess that is a good restriction. It seems like I missed the part about the tributes having to be 8 stars. I mistook it for normal Ritual spell, which is usually phrased "8 stars and above". That's cool then, I think.

Although I still think the "Cannot be Normal summoned or Set" on the Ritual monsters (and only on the Ritual Spirit monsters) is redundant. :) Sure they are Spirit Monsters, and Spirit monsters have that specific clause. But it is the game mechanic on Ritual monsters that's already renders them unable to be Normal summoned or Set, so why putting it there? (I also have no idea why Konami decided to put something so obvious in the game on the Evilghishki, but hey, it's their rules?

Further looking into Ritual mosters shows me that the "Must first be Ritual Summoned" isn't necessary as well, as Ritual monsters can't be Special summon without being properly Ritual summon first. One exception to this is "Ritual foregone", which allows you to bypass this rule, (Although you probably left it like this to prevent "Ritual Foregone"?) It seems like you are basing Ritual Spirits on the Evilghiski, am I right? 

Anyhow, they are just my two cents on the subject. Hope to see more new Spirit monsters soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived