[Written] Wyrmshire [15/15]

towitori

Wyrmshire would be included in a series of archetypes in a universe similar to Duel Terminal. I'm calling it "Luxverse".

Wyrmshire is an archetype of EARTH Wyrm-type monsters that plays very similar to Masked Heroes. The archetype is actually inspired by Fire Emblem's class system. All main deck monsters are Level 4 and all fusion monsters are level 6. The effects of fusion monsters are improved versions of their main deck monster counterparts. The main deck monsters are all level 4 so they make easy Rank 4 plays.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters (6)]

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Cavalier]

Wyrmshire Cavalier

EARTH / *4
Wyrm / Effect
1700 / 1200
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Wyrmshire" monster from your hand, and if you do, you cannot Special Summon any other monsters, except "Wyrmshire" monsters this turn.  You can only use the effect of "Wyrmshire Cavalier" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Archer]

Wyrmshire Archer
EARTH / *4
Wyrm / Effect
1500 / 1500
If this card on the field is sent to the Graveyard: Target 1 card on the field; Destroy it. You can only use the effect of "Wyrmshire Archer" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Fighter]

Wyrmshire Fighter
EARTH / *4
Wyrm / Effect
1900 / 900
If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only activate this effect of "Wyrmshire Fighter" once per turn. If this card attacks a face-down Defense Position monster, destroy the monster immediately without flipping it face-up or applying damage calculation.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Knight]

Wyrmshire Knight
EARTH / *4
Wyrm / Effect
800 / 2100
When a face-up "Wyrmshire" monster you control, except "Wyrmshire Knight" is targeted by an attack: Switch the attack target to this card and conduct damage calculation. You can only use the effect of "Wyrmshire Knight" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Mercenary]

Wyrmshire Mercenary

EARTH / *4

Wyrm / Effect

1600 / 1600

During your Main Phase: You can pay 500 Life Points; This card attack twice during the Battle Phase this turn. You can only use the effect of "Wyrmshire Mercenary" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Tactician]
Wyrmshire Tactician
EARTH / *4
Wyrm / Effect
1800 / 1400
If this card on the field is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Add 1 "Wyrmshire" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Wyrmshire Tactician". You can only use the effect of "Wyrmshire Tactician" once per turn.

[spoiler=Spell Cards (3)]

[spoiler=Master Seal]

Master Seal
Spell / Quick-Play
Target 1 face-up "Wyrmshire" monster you control; send it to the Graveyard, then Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Wyrmshire" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck with the same name as that monster.

[spoiler=Second Seal]

Second Seal
Spell / Quick-Play
Target 1 face-up "Wyrmshire" Fusion Monster you control; return it to the Extra Deck, then Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Wyrmshire" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck with a different name. (This Special Summon is treated as a Special Summon with "Master Seal".) The Special Summoned monster cannot attack or activate its effects this turn. 

[spoiler=Broken Seal]

Broken Seal

Spell

Target 1 "Master Seal" and 1 "Wyrmshire" monster in your Graveyard; Banish those cards, then Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Wyrmshire" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck with the same name as the banished monster. (This Special Summon is treated as a Special Summon with "Master Seal".) The Special Summoned monster cannot attack, and is returned to the Extra Deck during the End Phase.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters (6)]

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Master Paladin]

Wyrmshire Master Paladin
EARTH / *6
Wyrm / Fusion / Effect
2200 / 1700
This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Cavalier" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon up to 2 "Wyrmshire" monsters from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Wyrmshire Master Paladin" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Master Sniper]

Wyrmshire Master Sniper

EARTH / *6
Wyrm / Fusion / Effect
2500 / 1500
This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Archer" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If this card leaves the field: Target up to 2 cards on the field: Destroy them. You can only use this effect of "Wyrmshire Master Sniper" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Master Warrior]

Wyrmshire Master Warrior

EARTH / *6
Wyrm / Fusion / Effect
2600 / 1200
This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Fighter" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During your Main Phase: You can destroy all Defense Position monster your opponent controls. You can only use this effect of "Wyrmshire Master Warrior" once per turn.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Master General]

Wyrmshire Master General
EARTH / *6
Wyrm / Fusion / Effect
1100 / 2800
This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Knight" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Your opponent cannot target your monsters for an attack or card effect, except "Wyrmshire Master General". Once per turn, during either player's turn: This card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Master Hero]

Wyrmshire Master Hero

EARTH / *6

Wyrm / Fusion / Effect

2100 / 2100

This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Mercenary" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card can attack a number of times during each Battle Phase, up to the number of "Wyrmshire" Fusion monsters you control during the turn it was Special Summoned.

[spoiler=Wyrmshire Grandmaster]
Wyrmshire Grandmaster
EARTH / *6
Wyrm / Fusion/ Effect
2400 / 1800
This card's name is treated as "Wyrmshire Tactician" while it is in your Extra Deck. Must be Special Summoned with "Master Seal" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card gains 200 ATK for each of your banished "Wyrmshire" monsters. During your Main Phase: You can banish 1 "Wyrmshire" monster in your Graveyard; Add 1 "Wyrmshire" monster with the same name as the banished monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Wyrmshire Grandmaster" once per turn.

I can't really leave a dedicated review right now, but I love how this looks right now! My only real concerns are with Master Sniper and Second Seal. Master Sniper completely wiping your opponent's field when it dies seems a bit much to me. Maybe change it so that you can pick between Raigeki and Harpie's Feather Duster-esque effects?

Second Seal, meanwhile, has the opposite problem. Making it so that the summoned monster can't attack or activate its effects ever means that the only two fusions that can really be made with any degree of usefulness with Second Seal are Sniper and General. I suggest changing it so that the summoned monster can't attack or use its effects during the turn it's summoned.

Other than that, I'm really loving this so far! What other class(es) are you planning on making?

Updated with 2 main deck monsters with their Fusion counterparts and 1 Spell card.

Also in response to the CnC above, I've also made changes to Master Sniper now only destroying up to 2 cards but now it activates when it leaves the field. Second Seal also fixed. Yes that should be only when it was summoned.

Right off the bat, I'm gonna say it's cool to see more Wyrm cards being made, as in the real card game, there aren't too many, and there's (sadly) only one archetype of Wyrm monsters, and they generally can't even make use of the support. However, your archetype looks like it could benefit greatly from the Wyrm Support in the game, and I'll try and touch up on that when I can.

- - - - - Level 4s - - - - -

WS Cavalier: The generic Summoner of the deck that allows you to go into your plays. Not really much to say about it, given how its effects are. Over all, a very, very balanced card, though if you ran Giant Pairfish in this deck, its effect might be redundant, considering that card can search any of your main deck monsters and bring them to the field. Either way, 5/5 card. (3 in deck.)

WS Archer: A floaty floater with popping capabilities. Noice. Unfortunately, it's probably just that. With medium to low stats and no other effect that helping to clear some of your opponent's board, it's kind of useless. Still, if you combo its effect with your main spell card, and its evolution with Dark Hole or Second Seal, and on top of that, use Celestia in the deck, that's up to four cards on the board cleared. Pretty costly combo, but it can set you up for game, especially given how much attack your Grandmaster could get. 4/5 generic floater. (2 in deck)

WS Fighter: Eh... I love the Cyber Dragon effect for it, and with that kind of attack, you'd expect it to have a summon condition like that, but its effect is just... disappointing. I mean, it stops a lot of annoying cards that're being made or exist (Marshmallon, Spirit Reaper [if face-down], Man-Eater(ing?) Bug), but overall, its effect is just very, very boring, and chances are, won't proc that often. I'd honestly give it the addition that if it destroys a monster by that effect, it can make a second attack that battle phase, simply because it seems like the hard-hitter of the Level 4 monsters. 3/5 bad-decent effect. (2-3 in deck)

WS Knight: Again, another underpowered card. It's effect is nice, and with defense like that, it's bound to be able to stop your opponent from attacking your weaker monsters early game, but overall, the card is just underwhelming. Still, not much you can do with it to make it better, considering how it is. 2.5/5 "Eh" effect. Okay stats. (1-2 in deck)

WS Mercenary: Not bad. Not bad at all. While I could see the point in giving it a 500 LP cost, it's really uneeded, considering its relatively low stats. Though, having a 3200 monster for free may be a tad bit on the powerful side, chances are unless your opponent opens up terribly, this thing isn't going to get all 3200 of that off. Over all, this card is very well done, even if I think the 500 LP cost is uneeded. 5/5 can rack up high damage. (3 in deck)

WS Tactician: Oh good, a searcher. I was afraid you weren't going to have one of those. It's effect is very nice, and works well in tandem with its evolution, getting off the search pretty much the instant after it hits the grave. And with decent stats, it isn't going to be dying as easily as one might imagine, leaving it open for more plays. Nicely done there. 5/5 the searcher of the deck. (3 in deck)

- - - - -Spell Cards- - - - -

Master Seal: Literally nothing to say about this, considering it's the Mask Change of the deck. It's the hinge-point. Change NOTHING about this card. 5/5 the play-maker. (3 in deck, duh.)

Second Seal: A very underwhelming card, considering it bricks your Master Paladin, makes almost all your cards useless for the first turn they're out, and just really, really slows the deck down by a considerable amount. If this was supposed to be your version of Mask Change II, then all I have to say is that you nerfed it too much. This deck seems like it's an archetype that goes all out one turn, then hides the next. If you really want the archetype to flourish, I'd simply give it an effect more akin to Mask Change II, and leave it at that. 3/5 kinda bricks you, but works in tandem with Sniper's eff. (2-3 in deck)

Broken Seal: Honestly a better card than Second Seal, which I wasn't expecting. Considering it doesn't brick the card's effects, it makes it work great in tandem with Paladin, Master Warrior, and Grandmaster. It also works decently with Sniper, though it's a bit slow. Unfortunately, it runs out of usefulness with the other Fusion Monsters, considering their effects require them to last longer on the field, Not a terrible card, but not an amazing one either. 4/5 because it can open up a few more plays. (2 in deck)

- - - - -Fusion Monsters- - - - -

WS Master Paladin: The upgraded version of Cavalier does its job just as well as it needs to: swarm the field to help with the damage factor, or to help get more Wymshire Fusion Monsters on the field. As always, a good card to have in a deck, as it can help make more plays more quickly. Overall, nothing needs a change here. 5/5 (1-2 in EXD).

WS Master Sniper: The board clearer. I see why you made its eff "when this card leaves the field", especially given Second Seal's effect to return that card to the Extra Deck to be used later. 2500 makes it a good card, despite its kind of lack-luster effect. After all, it's no Absolute Zero, as far as clearing goes, but perhaps that's a good thing. 5/5 (1-2 in EXD).

WS Master Warrior: Good attack, bad effect. I'm sorry, but not many decks like to play defensively nowadays. While it's a niche effect for when your opponent's trying to stall, chances are, they're stalling with a floater that they want gone. While it opens up plays in order to deal some major damage, I recommend changing it by adding a little burn, like 500 to 700 damage for each card destroyed. 3/5 for lackluster effect (1 in EXD).

WS Master General: It wouldn't hurt, in my eyes, to boost this guy up to 3000. While leaving him at 2800 wouldn't hurt either, with Blue-Eyes how it is, and with many cards having some monster with more than 2800 attack at their disposal, I'd simply boost it by 100-200. Overall, however, this is a pretty awesome defensive card. 5/5 (1 in EXD).

WS Master Hero: A pretty niche monster, but it has the potential to OTK your opponent, especially with Master Paladin's swarming capabilities, and if you utilize Giant Pairfish, you can get even more monsters. However, without a form of recovery, it's unlikely you'll have more than 3 of your Fusion Monsters out at a time, unless your opponent just got sacked THAT hard by your deck, in which case, this thing can decide games, given that 4 direct attacks, and this thing will game your opponent. 4/5 has great potential, but it's unlikely it'll get more than 3 attacks (1-2 in EXD).

WS Grandmaster: And here it is, ladies and gentleman! The best card in the deck. And it is, in my eyes, by a long mile. Not only does it search, but the way it searches boosts itself up even higher, making it a force to be reckoned with. Plus, the instant you bring it out (assuming you use Master Seal) it'll automatically be at 2600. And, if you use Celestia in the Deck, this thing clears 3000 without any issue. On top of that, Celestia's effect can boost its Attack by 600 more, along with clearing board. All in all, a brilliant finish to a great looking archetype. 5/5 (2-3 in EXD).

Well, the archetype is rather similar to Masked Heroes. The name changes help the archetype and make it more interesting.

The monsters have nice synergy, and rather simple effects. However, several major problems as far as I can see:

- There is no support for the Seals. I mean, the monsters can do something by themselves, but really you have to wait until you draw a Seal(s).

- They swarm. Not really a bad thing, but I mean we only have Master Seal, and that works with one monster once per turn. I think the monsters should use their effects in different capacities.

- Lack of searching. This is really a general archetypal problem, but you only have one searcher outside of the ED and that at a rather big cost.

- Not focused enough. Yes, they have your basic multiple attacking, prevention from attacking, destruction on going to Graveyard, and it really seems all over the place. This could be a bunch of generics rather than an archetype.

Master Seal is fine, but Second Seal is just...meh. Pretty much everything I would say was said in the above review. In fact, my Broken Seal commentary was basically the same thing too.

Ah, interesting choice how the Fusions all have buffed effects of their main deck counterparts, but they have a few of the same problems, including one searching, the swarming, and the lack of focus. They are very usable with powerful effects, but again, I'm not really seeing a theme. I mean, I wouldn't have a problem with their effects being all over the place as long as they supported the archetype.

To be honest, I love the idea behind it. I really do. But I get the feeling you made too much of an effort to keep it balanced, and so it came off a bit weak. Just some buffing here and there, and some more archetypal work, and this would be a fun deck to play.

Archived