Iron Chain Support

SilentKatana

So, this is my crack at the Iron Chain archetype... The intended goal here was to take an archetype with 3 weirdly fractured themes going for it, Burn, Milling and Stat Boosting, and form it into a coherent whole. Milling is a very weak mechanic these days, as most decks can abuse the graveyard in some shape or form, converting that mill into banishing cards from the deck makes it far more dangerous, although dependent on the field spell. The support also makes use of Iron Chain Dragon's effect to banish Iron Chain monsters, allowing for banished recovery. The general feel this support gives is in a deck that constantly pressurizes the opponent on all fields, depleting their life with steady burn, whittling away their resources with the constant milling the support offers, whilst putting very threatening beaters on board at the same time.

[spoiler=Gaol Forge]

13LHDC.jpg

When a card would be sent from the Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Chain" card; remove it from play instead. Once per turn, you can return 2 banished "Iron Chain" monsters to your Graveyard; add 1 "Chain" card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, target one "Iron Chain" monster whose current ATK is higher than its original ATK; it gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase.

[spoiler=Venomous Chain]

MKUmYT.jpg

All "Iron Chain" monsters you control gain 100 ATK. Once per turn, your opponent send cards equal to the number of face-up "Iron Chain" monsters you control from the top of their Deck to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Immobilizing Chain]

tPWslc.jpg

When this card is activated: you can send 1 "Iron Chain" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. When a card(s) is sent from your opponent's Deck to the graveyard by a card effect or is banished from their Deck; inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card sent.

[spoiler=Iron Chain Manacles]

iE0Uuo.jpg

Once per turn; you can send 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, you can target 1 monster on the field; reduce it's ATK by it's original Level/Rank x200 and add the same amount to an "Iron Chain" monster you control.

[spoiler=Iron Chain Madman]

5FJT2r.jpg

Once per turn, tribute one "Iron Chain" monster you control; double the current ATK of this card. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, send the top 2 cards of their Deck to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Iron Chain Warden]

1CdnYL.jpg

When this card destroys a monster by battle; inflict damage to your opponent equal to the amount of "Chain" cards in your Graveyard x200. Once per turn, you can target of your banished 1 Level 4 or lower "Iron Chain" monsters, except "Iron Chain Warden"; Special Summon that card.

[spoiler=Iron Chain Chimaera]

dva9R0.jpg

1 "Iron Chain" tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 2 "Iron Chain" monsters from your Graveyard; select and destroy up to 3 Spell or Trap cards your opponent controls. Once per turn, you can destroy one "Chain" card you control; inflict 800 points of damage to your opponent. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent; send the top 4 cards of their Deck to the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Iron Chain Hellhound]

huQiDO.jpg

Once per turn, you can banish one Iron Chain monster from your Graveyard and Target 1 monster your opponent controls; Banish it. If that monster was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, your opponent banishes 3 random cards from their Extra Deck. When this card is destroyed, send 5 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck to their Graveyard. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent; send the top 5 cards of their Deck to the Graveyard.

Alrighty, here we go fammaru. Also legit don't know jack about Iron Chains, but I'll try my best to see how these things work out.

- - - - -

Gaol- Its second effect is really, really good. Too good. You see, with its effect you get to go +3 right off the bat: fill up your Graveyard for further banishment (with Iron Chain Dragon alone) along with a free search into any of this archetype's monsters. It's too much. Either just have the OPT search or the OPT recovery. Or, better yet, have it so that you can only have one of either of them per turn. Finally, with how you want this archetype to work, the last effect is just overkill. After all, you have Manacles and the like to weaken your opponent's monsters, and on top of that, with the other effects stacked on, Iron Chain Dragon alone could top 3000 with ease, and topping 3000 in today's meta is very, very good, since most monsters now (barring Blue-eyes cards) are based around their effects- many of which won't get to proc their effects if you A.) Stop them from being made, or B.) Stop them from being able to pay their potential costs. So drop the last effect.

Overall- 3.5/5 a lynchpin card, but it's too OP, so fix it.

Venomous- Cool, a good card. Only issue is your OCG. You need a specific time to give your opponent, not a OPT clause. (i.e. "During your opponent's Standby Phase, while you control a face-up "Iron Chain" monster: your opponent must send cards from the top of their Deck to their Graveyard equal to the number of face-up "Iron Chain" monsters you control.") It's like Poisonous Chain's brother, I guess. Except better, which I like.

Overall- 4.5/5 OCG aside this is a fine card, and really only adds to the goodness this archetype already has.

Immobilizing- Basically the combo card to Venomous/Poisonous Chain. I don't have much to say to it, except that it should be less generic, otherwise all mill decks could use this (i.e. Worm Mill) and that'd just be rude. Just add an "Iron Chain" clause to it.

Overall- 4.5/5 basically the same with Venomous, except having to do with how generic it is.

Manacles- A level 4 Tuner's nice, but overall, this thing's underwhelming. Its effect is underwhelming and doesn't do much except make it a little easier for Iron Chain Dragon to do its thing, but most decks run Solemn Notice anyways, and wouldn't hesitate to stop this thing's effect to stop the mill/banish/burn thing that'd happen after. Also Breakthrough Skill, but people don't usually run that now, at least not with the meta. (Don't know if Burning Phantom Knights use it, but w/e.)

Overall- 3/5 underwhelming, but it has its uses.

Madman- Level 2 Tuner. Noice. Plus, if it destroys a card, it mills 2. Doesn't... really do much else though. And, to be honest, with only 1000 ATK, I'm not sure why I'd want to risk tributing a card to use this thing's effect... I'd rather just send it to the Grave as banish fodder, or use it to Synchro Summon my Iron Chain Dragon. Not a very useful card, sadly.

Overall- 3/5 underwhelming, but it has its uses, albeit less than Manacles has.

Warden- Heyyy I remember that face. Who could forget that handsome fat loser who literally stood no chance against Yusei (the true King of Games, screw what the masses say). Anyways... 1650's a weird number. Just make it 1700, it wouldn't hurt, especially since it relies on monster destruction to proc its first (mediocre) effect. Its second effect, however, I think you need to change. Not many cards SS from the Banished Zone, and I think Konami had that done for a reason. So, I'd recommend you have it SS from the Graveyard, since your Field Spell revolves around returning banished cards to the Grave to search anyways.

Overall- 4/5 but the SS from Banished Zone is wierd.

Chimaera- Weird way to spell Chimera but w/e. Basically XX-Saber Hyunlei (issat how you spell it...?) but with a cost. W/e, since it generates advantage thanks to your Field Spell's combo ability. However, since this thing isn't that much harder to make than Iron Chain Dragon, I don't think it should be able to mill more cards than it does. Keep the mill to 2, not four. 26/2700 is pretty good ATK, and will get over most troublesome monsters if you make sure to Fiendish Chain them, or MST/Twin Twister their other stuff. Plus, with the control you already have, it's overkill.

Overall- 4/5 solid choice other than Iron Chain Dragon, just lower the mill count and we're gucci.

Hellhound- I'd change its name, since the U.S. wouldn't allow it to be called a Hellhound. Maybe "Iron Chain Cerberus"? Or "Iron Chain Hound"? "Iron Chain Beast"? Just not Hellhound. It's not very Konami (U.S. branch). Now, onto its effects... Well, considering you'll have a near-endless supply of cards in your Graveyard (Especially if you run PSY-Framelord Omega in your ExD) its first effect is fitting of its status as boss monster. However, I'd give it a non-attacking clause, like what Black Luster Soldier and Chaos Magician have, just to make it similar to them, since you'll plus off its effect eventually. As for its other effect... no. I'm fine with the punishing of using their Extra Deck, but 3 is too much. Just make it 1, man. Otherwise you could very, very easily deplete their Extra Deck. Oh, and get rid of the 5 card mill. That's 1/8 of your opponent's deck, and 1500 damage. Keep at 2, if it destroys a monster, and 3 if it itself is destroyed (by your opponent's card effect).

Overall- 2.5/5 not very well thought out, both in name, and in effect, since it mills way, way too much.

Personally, I disagree on Gaol. The weakness of the search is that it requires prior setup to activate the effect, something that is rather difficult to do without already making plays, making the search effect somewhat dead in the earlier game. The effect serves as an incentive to actually run Dragon, who can massively fuel your banished zone with cards due to the unlimited amount of Iron Chains he can banish. That being said, I'll consider how I could maybe balance it a bit further, perhaps requiring it to return 3 instead of 2, which makes the actual resource management a good deal more difficult. As for the third effect, I do see your point, I'll probably cut it down to a 500 point boost, which is a good deal more tame overall, whilst still keeping the nice flavour the effect has of enhancing your enhanced monsters, might also buff the boost to being until the end of your opponents turn in that case,to compensate a little.

Madman exists mainly as an easier way to go into Dragon with Iron Chain Repairman and Warden, as he was previously very weird to get out in the deck, as it was far easier to summon lv 7 synchros with Repairman/Coil. The ATK Boost was mainly another way to play with the minimalist stat modifications the Iron Chain theme had, as it doubles it's current attack, allowing it to easily break 3000 with stuff like Gaol and manacles on the field.

Warden specifically was made as the counterpart to Iron Chain Repairman, as it pairs very nicely with the banishing theme I've embellished here, such as the interaction with Immobilizing Chain and Forge, which allows you to immediately banish an Iron Chain from the deck. Saying Konami hasn't done many things to mess with the banished zone is a bit odd though, as that was the entire theme of the Ritual Beast Tamers. It's also something I rather like thematically. The Repairman returns broken monsters to a wholesome state, whilst the Warden recovers those banished to jail by the Prison Guard beasts (Dragon, Chimaera and Hound). That being said, I'll see if I can differentiate him a bit more from Repairman....

Fair enough on Chimaera, as I mentioned earlier, it is far easier for this archetype, at least before this support to make lv 7 Synchros, so I'll tone the mill down.

And yeah, you make some very good points on Hound... I will... make some adjustments there....

Having attempted to play Iron Chains in the past (and failing repeatedly), I have a rough understanding of their drawbacks (and mill in general). So, let's begin the operation.

[spoiler Gaol Forge]
When a card(s) would be sent from the Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Chain" card, remove it from play instead. Once per turn: You can return 2 banished "Iron Chain" monsters to your Graveyard; add 1 "Chain" card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Iron Chain" monster whose current ATK is higher than its original ATK; it gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase.

First effect is great as it just dismantles every Graveyard interaction triggered by mill. The last two effects feel like they are designed to interact with Iron Chain Dragon's self-boosting effect, but personally I feel that the final boosting effect can just affect any Iron Chain monster without additional conditions. The ATK boost will help in breaking through walls and crushing anything the Snakes are latched on to. If you alter the third effect this way, I suggest adding a clause "You can only activate 1 "Gaol Forge" effect per turn, and only once that turn".

[spoiler Venomous Chain]
All "Iron Chain" monsters you control gain 100 ATK. Once per turn: your opponent You can send a number of cards cards, from the top of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard, equal to the number of face-up "Iron Chain" monsters you control from the top of their Deck to the Graveyard.

A better version of Poison Chain. ATK boost is miniscule, even in multiples. Maybe you can nudge this increment to 200 or 300 such that a single copy can actually do work, and the stacking of multiple copies resulting in a bite that can be very clearly felt.

[spoiler Immobilizing Chain]
When this card is activated: You can send 1 "Iron Chain" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. When a card(s) is sent from your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard by a card effect or is banished from their Deck: Inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card that was sent to the Graveyard or banished that way.

A better version of Paralyzing Chain that also somehow manages to synergize with things like Necroface and Inferno Tempest. Now, that's an idea worth considering. Mind you, the burn triggers off anything with a mill effect which can cause Lightsworns to self-destruct or give Worm mill another edge. Maybe an "Iron Chain" clause is worth adding. Other than that, the little mill is good with setting up Repairman and Dragon.

[spoiler Iron Chain Manacles]
Once per turn: You can send 1 card from the top card of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster on the field and 1 "Iron Chain" monster you control; reduce it's that first target loses ATK by equal to its original Level/Rank x 200 and add the second target gains the same amount of ATK to an "Iron Chain" monster you control.

Its status as a LV4 Tuner allows one to use Cannon to make Dragon, but honestly, why bother with using Cannon? The ATK-robbing capability is great, allowing this card to easily reach 1900 ATK on its own (assuming a LV4 monster is targeted), bumping Repairman to 2400 to let it survive lots more battles, and letting basically everything score more kills. It's a decent card to have an opening play with given that there is a lot of opening plays it can trump in battle barring effect negation.

[spoiler Iron Chain Madman]
Once per turn: You can tribute 1 "Iron Chain" monster you control; double the current ATK of this card. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Send the top 2 cards of their your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.

LV2 Tuner means it Synchros with Repairman to make Dragon instantly. Sweet. Unless I really want an opponent's monster ded out of ded, I'm less likely to use this card's boosting ability, given that the rest of the archetype already has several ways to buff and debuff to get easy kills. But, sometimes you just have to kill a Towers...

[spoiler Iron Chain Warden]
When this card destroys a monster by battle: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent equal to the amount of for each "Chain" cards in your Graveyard x200. Once per turn: You can target 1 of your banished 1 Level 4 or lower "Iron Chain" monsters, except "Iron Chain Warden"; Special Summon that card target.

Not exactly the greatest card to open with. Warden is much more clearly designed to build up more plays after going into Dragon or the other Synchros. I'd look at him in a slightly better light if the other Iron Chain cards had self-banishing abilities.

[spoiler Iron Chain Chimaera]
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can banish 2 "Iron Chain" monsters from your Graveyard, then target up to 3 Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls; select and destroy up to 3 Spell or Trap cards your opponent controls them. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 "Chain" card you control; inflict 800 points of damage to your opponent. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: Send the top 4 cards of their your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.

Given how this is easily made with Repairman and Coil, this pretty much clears the path for a clean swing without worry for Mirror Force and the like, and sets up for the other support if you have them on hand. A hand of Repairman, Immobilizing Chain, and Terraforming result in some sweet synergy as you blow up the opponent's backrow for a clean attack and get to find what you need later. I feel you can tone down the effect to mill 3 like Dragon. Burn effect is gratuitous but can close games if you really need to.

[spoiler Iron Chain Hellhound]
Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Iron Chain" monster from your Graveyard and target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish it, then if that monster was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, your opponent banishes 3 random cards from their Extra Deck. When this card is destroyed: Send the top 5 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck to their Graveyard. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent; send the top 5 cards of their your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.

Considering how often cards are used from the Extra Deck these days, hitting so much of the Extra Deck upon killing an Extra Deck monster goes into overkill. Mega Zaborg can do up to 8, but that's a one-off on Summon situation. 5-mill per hit feels oddly strong, even for Iron Chains, and I'm more comfortable if it did 4. Mill 5 on destruction brings Voltic Bicorn to mind, and I'm actually fine with that given that the rest of the archetype needs one or two very specific plays to bring this card out.

Ultimately, this support has just added lots of buffing, debuffing, and damage abilities. I'm more likely to see the opponent die the usual way instead of just Decking out. A little more S/T support will also be appreciated.

Archived