Darj

lwM5OvW.jpg

Shadollconstellar Serpens
Attribute: DARK
Type: Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 1900
DEF: 1100

2 Level 2 monsters
While you control a Set card, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects, also it cannot be targeted for attacks. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Set card on the field; return it to the hand, and if you do, you can reveal 1 Trap or Quick-Play Spell Card from your hand, then Set it. That Set card can be activated during this turn.

I want to admit I made it partially for the selfish purpose of accessing Ptolemy Messier 7 in Rank2 decks, but bear with me.

The protection is there because as a 1900-ATK Rank2 I feared it couldn't stand for long on the field; and even then, it shouldn't be exactly tough to break.

However, I believe it's the detach effect what makes it interesting: while bouncing a Set card should be mostly harmless as it cannot "re-use" face-up cards such as a dead Call of the Haunted, Fiendish chain, etc., being able to Set a Trap and activate it the same turn opens for extended plays during your turn.

Flavor and stuff:

- As the thread title implies, this is meant to be an Xyz form of Shaddoll Zefranaga (if Construct can become a Rank4 DARK Tellarknight, Zefranaga should be able to become a Shaddoll Rank2 that retakes his Constellar roots).

- It's Rank2 to be consistent with the Level of Rasalhague and Zefranaga.

- It has +1000 ATK and DEF than Rasalhague/Zefranaga.

- It has a bouncing effect reminiscent of Pleiades, Ptolemy Messier 7, and Zefranaga.

- Serpens is also the name of a constellation, and it should fit this card because of the recurring snake theme the monster has (Rasalhague's staff, being called "naga", references to Ophiuchus, Caduceus, etc.)

Thoughts?

EDIT:

08/08/16

- Improved the protection effect to not require Xyz Materials attached to be applied.

Right now, for cards like Breakthrough Skill, this card does indeed feel like a better MST. For just about everything else that comes to mind that you'd want set, though, returning it to the hand makes no sense (unless you're playing Frogesstomas). Honestly, detach for banishment, and make it so that your opponent cannot chain cards in response to the destruction would make more sense, and since this is the meta we're talking about, having it so that your opponent can't Solemn Notice this thing's effect is probably for the best and is a much better alternative to the flavour you're trying to slap onto this mediocre card.

Trust me on this: if anything, this might be at 1 in Frogesstomas just for the sake of having another form of removal in case they don't want to risk making and losing their Treatoad, which they'd default to in the first place. I want you to understand that Treatoad just about makes this card irrelevant in the meta. The only thing this card does right is setting a card after you removed the other from the field, kind of like Dust Tornado.

My suggestion? Add on the 'Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect's activation' clause so that way this card can be legitimately good.

Whoa there.

First: I know about Treatoad, BUT I don't intent to make this card, nor any card for that matter, as strong as that card, because when it comes to card making, it is generally considered as bad design to makes cards that keep up with the overpowering cards Konami releases. In other words, not because Konami makes overpowered cards, it means card makers get a "green light", so to speak, to making cards as powerful, if not stronger; that's just spiraling into powercreep and degeneracy.

Now, keep in mind that Treatoad is bound to decks that have Level2 Aquas, or Level 4 WATERs (through Bahamut Shark). However, other Rank2 decks may find this card handy. Also, since this is generic, I shouldn't be giving an effect that is as good as Treatoad's.

Then, I feel you may be underestimating the ability to activate Traps during your turn. It practically makes it a generic Rank2 "Temple of Kings". You already pointed out Burgesstomas, but there are also other toys such as "Reinforce Truth" or Call of the Haunted on Turn 1 for following up plays; and who knows what else.

Also, there are other perks going for this card: I already implied in the OP how it can Xyz-evolve into Ptolemy Messier 7, effectively giving Rank2 decks access to a 2700-ATK beater who can bounce or recycle monsters the next turn. Also, another perk I missed at first is that as a Shaddoll monster it can be used as Fusion Material accessible through the extra Deck for an El Shaddoll, and thus opening the possibility of teching a Shaddoll Fusion Spell for summoning, let's say, Winda or Anoyatyllis... for whatever that's worth.

That said, I do like the suggestion of the Super-Poly clause, although I'm thinking on a different alternative protection effect to keep the card interesting. However, I'm not convinced about making the effect banish: a Quick effect that banishes Set cards is an effect I would expect on a 2-material Rank7 or higher, if not a Rank6, but certainly not on a Rank2.

Archived