Prototypical Link Monsters

notcleverusername

I've been thinking about Links since their release, and playing around with some deckbuilding concepts. There's no PSCT, or really any text at all, to describe some of the things I thought about. For now, I think I've accumulated enough to make a thread. As I still do not believe I have enough information to make good "originals", some of these will just be retrains in the vein of Gaiasaber.

Idea 1: Defense Position Links
One of my earlier random ideas. When played, the card's name would always have to point left relative to the user, and the Link Markers would point to Zones from this positioning. Otherwise functionality remains the same. To compensate for not being able to attack at all, they would have to have better effects, or in this case, better stats. Although I freely admit that this card mainly exists because I really wanted to make Linkbyrinth Wall.
Virtualabyrinth Wall
Link 3 LIGHT Psychic-type (S / SW / W)
DEF 3000
2 or more monsters
[No effect]

Idea 2: Requiring different materials
Inspired by thoughts on Dragunities, and (especially in this case) on Synchros. Although all the Links shown so far require only 1 trait, Links can be far more versatile than XYZs in this regard...and in this case, they can be Synchros instead. The reference is obviously to everyone's favorite Synchro looper.
Technoprodigy Hyperlink
Link 2 DARK Psychic-type (S / E)
ATK 2400
1 Tuner + 1 non-Tuner monster with a level
If a Link Monster is Link Summoned to this card's Linked Zone (except Technoprodigy Hyperlink): Draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Technoprodigy Hyperlink" once per turn.

Idea 3: Penalizing opponent for using Zones you link to them
Everyone's already done this by now, so no need to go into too much detail. Main difference with this card is that it also penalizes you for using its Link Zones. In exchange, I've incorporated another concept that I will also explore later to make it easier to summon. PSCT is haphazard because I can't remember any PSCTed cards off the top of my head that still uses maintenance costs.
Grasavat, the Ancient Fortress
Link 4 EARTH Insect (NE / NW / SE / SW)
ATK 3500
2 or more Beast, Winged-Beast, or Insect-type monsters
You can treat 1 monster in your Extra Zone as a Link 2 for this card's Link Summon. Monsters Special Summoned to this card's Linked Zones cannot attack, be Tributed, or used as Material for a Summon during the turn they are Special Summoned. During each of your Standby Phases, Tribute 1 monster Linked to this card, and if you cannot, destroy this card.

Idea 4: Midrow support Link
Although the idea of having Links that point up as a drawback has already been done, the idea of pointing up into your own Extra Monster Zone as a sort of backup has not been explored much, as far as I'm aware. This card is built to be your 2nd Link Summon to support your Extra Monster Zone.
Psychic Command Center
Link 3 LIGHT Psychic (N / E / W)
ATK 2400
2 or more non-Effect monsters
Cannot be targeted for an attack while this card is Linked to a monster(s). Once per turn, if your opponent targets a monster in this card's Linked Zone for an attack: You can make that monster's ATK become double its original ATK, until the End Phase. If a non-Effect monster in this card's Linked Zones attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects, until the end of the Damage Step.

Idea 5: Link Summon using materials in hand
This card won't actually be a Link Monster, but it will enable them reasonably nicely. It's a simple enough concept, adapted from cards like Eccentric Boy, Nordic Mara, or Predaplant Sundew Kingii.
Back Alley Businessman
Level 3 DARK Fiend
800/1000
If this Normal Summoned monster would be used as a Link Material, 1 monster in your hand can be used as 1 of the other Link Materials.

Idea 6: Link Marker flipping
I have no idea what the PSCT would even be for this, but I suppose that's not going to stop me from making cards that can change their Link Markers. For now I'm limiting it to basic triggers, but I do expect this to be much more common in the future. For reference, "Reverse" in this instance is made-up PSCT for changing Link Markers to the opposite one. "Active" is also made-up PSCT and will be seen again in other concepts down this list.
Flipper Scout
Link 1 WATER Fish (E)
ATK 1200
1 level 2 or lower WATER monster
If a Link 2 or higher Link Monster is Special Summoned to this card's Linked Zone: You can reverse this card's active Link Markers.

Crazy Wheel
Link 1 DARK Machine (W)
ATK 100
1 DARK monster
If this card declares an attack: Flip a coin and call it, and if you call it incorrectly, reverse this card's active Link Markers. This card gains ATK equal to the original ATK of monsters in its Linked Zones.

Idea 7: Deactivation of Link Markers
At some point in the future, I expect Link-era disruption to include screwing around with the opponent's Link Markers. This particular creation also ties in with a concept I hope to explore of Linking to your opponent's other Extra Monster Zone. Once again, "deactivate" is made-up PSCT for lack of an official term.
Linkhole
Link 2 EARTH Rock (E / S)
ATK 2500
2 level 5 or higher Effect monsters
If a Link Monster is Special Summoned to this card's Linked Zone: Deactivate 1 of its active Link Markers.

Idea 8: Granting extra Link Markers
The opposite idea of 7, and one that I'd expect to be made relatively early but be really bad except for extremely casual play. "Inactive" is made-up for this card.
Link Alive!
Quickplay Spell
Target 1 Link Monster on the field; activate 1 of its inactive Link Markers. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Link Monster you control whose original Link Markers, and no other Link Markers, are active; activate 1 of its inactive Link Markers.

Idea 9: Quick Link
Link Summoning as an SS2 effect will become more important when more floodgate/on-summon Trigger/Quick effect Links appear. It can also be used to dodge xenophobia and play vs established boards. And, of course, it's probably just inevitable at some point, so I'll explore some preliminary thoughts on what it might look like.
Linearacer
Link 2 FIRE Machine (S / N)
2 Tuner monsters
During either player's Main Phase, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, Link Summon 1 Link Monster to an Unlinked Main Monster Zone using Link Material Monsters you control, including this card.

Idea 10: Zone Switcher
A fairly basic concept for creating live Link Markers. Although I still think cards like Castle Link will be fairly poor, having built-in zone switching on a Link could be quite potent, just as protection is much better when it's built-in.
Submarine Mobile Harbor
Link 1 WATER Machine (W)
ATK 1600
1 WATER Pendulum monster
Once per turn, during your Main Phase 2: You can move this card to any one of your empty Main Monster Zones.

Continental Monkey
Link 2 FIRE Beast (NE / W)
ATK 2000
2 Beast or Beast-Warrior-type monsters
Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 of your monsters in a Main Monster Zone; move this card to that Monster Zone. During the End Phase: You can destroy this card and all Linked monsters on the field.

1) Why? That just needlessly complicates things.

2) Xyz*. The correct wording would be something like Link 3 - 1 A + 2 or more B - min. 3

3) the correct PSCT is "Monsters linked to this card". In this card, "Special Summoned monsters linked to this card."

4) this isn't any sort of special idea, it's just a normal link monster that points up.

5) k

6) There are much more efficient and more easily understandable ways of wording changed linked zones. See my Duster archetype.

7) You would unlink zones, not "deactivate markers", or you would say something along the lines of my Hegemony Demolisher card.

8) Bleh, see linking zones. There's no such as thing as "active link markers" in the card text.

9) basically just Formula Synchron for Links.

10) See my Duster archetype.

1) Why? That just needlessly complicates things.

2) Xyz*. The correct wording would be something like Link 3 - 1 A + 2 or more B - min. 3

3) the correct PSCT is "Monsters linked to this card". In this card, "Special Summoned monsters linked to this card."

4) this isn't any sort of special idea, it's just a normal link monster that points up.

5) k

6) There are much more efficient and more easily understandable ways of wording changed linked zones. See my Duster archetype.

7) You would unlink zones, not "deactivate markers", or you would say something along the lines of my Hegemony Demolisher card.

8) Bleh, see linking zones. There's no such as thing as "active link markers" in the card text.

9) basically just Formula Synchron for Links.

10) See my Duster archetype.

Thanks for the help!

Re1: To be entirely honest, it is totally because I am salty that we can't get shield or wall-themed Links.

Add in I think it would be funny, and also that I do honestly believe that defense position Links were a missed opportunity.

Re2: As far as it goes, don't worry too much about how I spell XYZ.

It's a bit embarrassing but I made these right before I saw the leak about how they were properly worded. I might go back to fix it eventually, but I'll probably just keep it in mind for the future.

As an aside, if the part 2 materials total up to the minimum already, I doubt they will have "or more" on them.

Re3: Thanks! I'll fix it sometime later, if I remember.

Re4: I know. I think I said it in the description too. I just wanted to join in on the fun.

Re6: Link your Duster archetype?

Re7 and 8: That does sound better. I'll keep it in mind.

Re9: Yes. As mentioned, since I am playing around with something I'm not entirely comfortable designing cards for yet, I am going fairly conservatively. Although, this particular card is also intended to be able to Link Summon to an area outside the Extra Zone. Do you think that would be a problem?

Re10: Again, link it?

Archived