[DPR/AGM] Synchro Flip Monsters?: Scrap-Iron Archetype

Eshai

Well, I did it. Synchro Flip monsters and a Scrap-Iron archetype. Have fun with that on the Duel-Portal.

Anyway, I made this archetype to A. Be a better version of Scrap (even though they aren’t apart of the same archetype because of different OCG names), B. Work with Starlight Road and Stardust Dragon for the Yusei Character Archetype, and C. Be able to make big and proactive plays despite being Flip monsters. At the moment I’m still testing this all on the Duel Portal, but it seems to be slow on the first turn but after the fact continuously getting faster similar to Crystrons (AKA my favorite archetype).

This was inspired by a card made by Black D'Sceptyr, another DPR member that made this Scrap-Iron card as support to the Junk archetype https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/367096-scrap-iron-salvager-one-mans-junk-is-another-mans-measure/?hl=%2Bscrap-iron+%2Bsalvager

So, 5Ds fans, let’s get to the cards.

Scrap-Iron Sparrow Crow

WIND - Level 4 - Machine/Flip/Effect - 1200 ATK/1700 DEF

FLIP: You can destroy 1 “Scrap-Iron” card you control, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Scrap-Iron” monster from your Deck in face-up or face-down Defense Position, also, after that, you can treat this card as a Tuner.

MONSTER: If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of this card once per turn.

“Sparrow Crow” because of course I’m making a crow for the Scarecrow to scare. If you make cards on the Duel-Portal, PLEASE specify which effect is which in caps, whether union, pendulum, or flips. Just way easier to read. Anyway this should be simple enough. Basically the gimmick is you destroy your own cards while they’re face-up to bring them back in face-down, which is kinda how Scrap-Iron Scarecrow works but with a bit of liberties since these are monsters. It can also just become a Tuner if you want, but you have to actually flip it face-up.

So yeah, it Special Summons by destroying another “Scrap-Iron”. You should be fine.

Scrap-Iron Sea Horse

WATER - Level 3 - Machine/Tuner/Effect - 800 ATK/1200 DEF

When a “Scrap-Iron" card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can destroy 1 “Scrap-Iron” card you control to Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only use this effect of “Scrap-Iron Sea Horse” once per turn.

The other kind of Scrap-Iron. The Level 3s are just Tuners with support effects. This was just meant to be a better Scrap Mind Reader, since that card was cool in concept but sucked due to several restrictions. This looks kinda sorta broken, but I didn’t use it all that much in my time testing, so I’m not sure whether it needs nerfing yet. Maybe it should only activate for their monster effects.

Scrap-Iron Star Fish

WATER - Level 4 - Machine/Flip/Effect - 0 ATK/2200 DEF

FLIP: You can Set 1 “Scrap-Iron” Spell/Trap from your Deck, also, after that, you can treat this card as a Tuner.

MONSTER: If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of this card once per turn.

2200 DEF, and straight up Spell/Trap searching with the same shenanigans as Sparrow. I’ll tell you more when I get to the Spell/Traps.

Scrap-Iron Spider Monkey

EARTH - Level 3 - Machine/Tuner/Effect - 1400 ATK/1300 DEF

While this card is in your hand or on your side of the field (Quick Effect): You can destroy this card to change 1 face-down monster you control to face-up Defense Position. If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of this card once per turn.

So this comes in handy. You can rather destroy it in your hand just to be able to activate Flip effects or destroy it on your field with your opponent knowing of its existence and being able to bring it back from the GY. I’ve liked it thus far since it makes the next card a bit better.

Scrap-Iron Stag Beetle

EARTH - Level 4 - Machine/Flip/Effect - 2000 ATK/1500 DEF

FLIP: You can destroy 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls, also, after that, you can treat this card as a Tuner.

MONSTER: At the end of the turn this card was Normal or Flip Summoned: Destroy it. If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon this card in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of this card once per turn.

Stag Beetles are my favorite Bug. Not because I’ve seen one irl before, but because there was this japanese collectible card video game at this place called Gameworks and in front of the machine was a rare card that was a Stag Beetle. Simple non targeting destruction, which should be fair considering it's a Flip monster. However, considering you it can revive and reuse the effect I wouldn’t be surprised if this might be too good.

Also Spider Monkey makes this a Quick Effect essentially, so yay.

Scrap-Iron Skeleton Gauss

EARTH - Level 7 - Machine/Synchro/Flip/Effect - 2400 ATK/2500 DEF

1 “Scrap-Iron” Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner Machine monsters

FLIP: You can destroy up to 2 Spell/Traps on the field.

MONSTER: If this face-down card would be targeted or destroyed by an opponent’s card effect: When your opponent activates a card or effect that targets this face-down monster (Quick Effect): You can change this card to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, negate that effect. If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 “Scrap-Iron” monster from your GY in face-up or face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of “Scrap-Iron Skeleton Gauss” once per turn.

It’s a guy with a rusty exosuit I’m guessing. So if you were wondering how you were dealing with Link Format, THIS is how. Has the same effects as the Main Deck monsters but in a different context, the one where you can Special Summon it back to a Main Monster Zone. While this Deck isn’t quite fast enough to break this, it’s pretty cool that it makes it so I can have stronger Flip effects on the monsters (since they can’t immediately bring them out)

Also has some targeting protection, although it’s not that great since you’re opponent already saw the monster that was flipped face-down.

Scrap-Iron Sea Dragon

WATER - Level 8 - Machine/Synchro/Flip/Effect - 2200 ATK/2900 DEF

1 “Scrap-Iron” Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner Machine monsters

Flip: You can destroy all other face-up monsters on the field.

Monster: When this card is Special Summoned: You can destroy 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls. If this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special Summon 1 “Scrap-Iron” monster from your GY in face-up or face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of “Scrap-Iron Sea Dragon” once per turn.

Reference to Leafy Sea Dragons (which are like Sea Horses but bigger and cooler). So the Flip Effect only destroys face-up monsters because the face-down Scrap-Iron monsters aren’t protected. It can also do Stag Beetle’s thing, destroy itself, and immediately Special Summon itself (in a Main Monster Zone) in face-down Defense Position. 2 birds, 1 heap of scrap metal.

Scrap-Iron Scavenging

Spell - Continuous

When this card is activated: You can destroy 1 card you control to add 1 “Scrap-Iron” monster from your Deck to your hand. If a “Scrap-Iron” card you control is destroyed, you can Set this face-up card.  If this card is destroyed and sent to the GY, you can Set 1 “Scrap-Iron” Spell/Trap from your GY with a different name. You can only activate each effect of “Scrap-Iron Scavenging” once per turn.

Nope. Not making a Field Spell for this archetype that would be too easy. So you have a couple options here.

1. Go +1, destroy itself, add a Scrap Iron monster from your Deck to your hand, and a Spell/Trap from your GY to the field.

2. Destroy another card you control and search. Keep this card on the field so you can destroy it for another card effect (not as useful but whatever the option’s there)

3. Destroy a “Scrap-Iron” card so you can reset this card after it’s use.

Versatile enough to be a consistency hallmark of the Deck. The only problem is MST negate, which you’ll have to deal with.

Scrap-Iron Cycling

Spell - Quick-Play
Activate 1 or both of these effects, in any order, also, after that, if this card was activated from the hand, you can Set this card. You can only activate each effect of “Scrap-Iron” Recycling” once per turn.
● Change the battle position of 1 “Scrap-Iron” monster you control to face-down Defense Position.

● Target 1 monster on the field; change that monster’s battle position.
If this card is sent to the GY: You can Set 1 "Scrap-Iron" Spell/Trap with a different name from your hand. It can be activated the turn it was Set.

May be a little redundant with Spider Monkey, but I haven’t tested it yet so perhaps not. If how I worded it is correct, it should be able to flip face-down and face-up the same monster. The Set from hand effect is from Dust Tornado kinda, but it allows you to activate that card the turn it was Set. So far only 1 only 1 of the Traps cares about that during your turn so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal, but it’s there.

Scrap-Iron Recycling

Trap - Normal

Special Summon 1 Machine monster from your GY in face-up or face-down Defense Position. If your opponent Special Summons a card from their GY, while this card is in your GY: You can Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only activate 1 “Scrap-Iron Recycling” per turn.

Since the DPR doesn’t have many staples or type restricted staples yet, this should be a nice one for those that wanted something similar to Iron Call (which is great in this Deck btw since the destroyed monster will come back in face-down Defense Position). This card instead can Special Summon in face-up or face-down Defense Position, and can return to the field if your opponent does something similar. Took that last bit from Lost Wind because I figured just adding the same bit of text from Scrap-Iron Scarecrow wasn’t enough.

May make this a Continuous Trap that can Reset itself (in which it destroys the Special Summoned monster, in which the Scrap-Iron monsters gets brought back anyway) but for now that doesn’t need to happen.

So I am testing to see if Starlight Road would be a good fit, since it would be really cool if a Yusei Character Archetype would work with the character’s original Boss Monster, but if it doesn’t whatever you can still play the card and Level 8 Synchros in the Deck.

I might add 1 or 2 more cards, 1 probably being something like Cyber Dragon and Crystron Sulphafnir, the other being a Continuous Trap. Other than that and a couple edits later on

Hoping for reviews and anyone willing to help me test the archetype. If anyone wants they can use the other archetype for the DPR I’m editing at the moment for the DPR, a archetype that attempts to draw your opponent a million cards and have them discarded in the same turn Affinfinity. Would love for someone else to try the archetype but you can use your own stuff instead.

Ok, so

Scrap-Iron Sparrow Crow

Flip: destroy a Scrap-Iron card, SS a Scrap Iron, this can be a Tuner. The "choose if Tuner" effect is unique and useful, I'd say. Basically a free Synchro if you use the Summoning effect, but because of the slow speed, it's more than okay.

If destroyed, SS it face-down. Yeah, I like the Scarecrow reference. You can potentially flip this, destroy this, resummon this, get a Scrap-Iron. Cool effect with cards that can flip this card during the first turn.

Scrap-Iron Sea Horse

When a Scrap-Iron effect is activated, destroy a SI card, SS this from the GY. Are you sure you'll have enough resources to keep destroying your own stuff? I mean, the cost is necessary, but.. well, that's why duel testing exists. Does it miss timing because of the When? No, it's a Quick Effect.

Scrap-Iron Star Fish

Flip: Set a SI S/T card, choose if Tuner.

Monster: Scarecrow eff. Yeah, it's like Crow, just without cost and this time it works on Spells/Traps. The Tuner part starts seeming unnecessary - all of the level 3 are Tuners, and the only way you can use it is by Summoning Fish/Level 4 with Crow.

Scrap-Iron Spider Monkey

Destroy it from hand or field, flip a monster. Scarecrow eff. Yeah. Like you said, it's the only way so far to make the Archetype faster. Also, it's a cool card to sacrifice in order to trigger the effects.

Scrap-Iron Stag Beetle

Flip: Scrap Dragon eff, choose if Tuner.

Monster: It lasts one turn, Scarecrow eff. I don't know if you can just remove the targeting part and making it a non targeting effect. I mean. Usually non targeting effects involve destroying all monsters with a specific Type/ATK/Coloumn. It has a cost anyway, and it destroys itself (which is actually better, because you can reuse the effect).

Scrap-Iron Skeleton Gauss

Flip: you can ? 2 S/T. I guess it's destroying. Same as Beetle, it needs targeting to work, IMO.

Monster: Negate an effect that target this in face-down, and flip it. If destroyed, SS a SI in face-up or face-down. So it can revive itself? Cool. Now, I might be wrong, but I don't think a monster's effect can be activated if it's face-down. A face-down monster doesn't even have name/stats/attribute/Type so it shouldn't have an effect either... right? The idea is amazing, but don't know if it's accepted. Anyway, unless you run that Continuous Spell that shuffles the face-down monsters with 300 LP cost - Shifting Shadows?  - the opponent won't target it.

Scrap-Iron Sea Dragon

Flip: Complete destruction of all other face-up monsters. Nice touch with the face-up restriction. Also, it's gonna be incredibly slow, but the opponent won't decide to battle it without proper thinking.

Monster: When SS, Scrap Dragon. If destroyed, same as Skeleton. There's nothing much to say. Except for the resource cost. You've already used 2 monsters to Synchro Summon, will you have a third one? Or will you destroy this card instead to use the Dark Hole effect next turn?

Just realized you commented the exact same thing I said. Well, that means the card is okay according to the opinion of 2 different people. Wow.

Scrap-Iron Scavenging

When activated, destroy 1 card you control and search a SI. If it's activated and a SI is destroyed, Set it. If destroyed, Set a SI S/T from the GY. You've already listed all the possibilities of this card. This sounds a bit op because of the +1 you'll get, but considering the rest of the Archetype is not that broken. The reusage effect is cool. MST negate isn't going to be a real problem. It will happen so rarely it's not even considerable.

Scrap-Iron Cycling

Double use. Activate 1 or both: Book of Moon a SI, change the Battle Position of a monster on the field. If sent to the GY, Set a SI S/T from the hand and it can be activated this turn. You already said there's only one trap, so yeah. Nothing abusable here. Changing Battle Position has always been a cool concept, but never actually well created - ehm, Karakuri - so I like this card. It's basically an in-Archetype Book of Moon that can be used twice. And yes, I think you can Set and Flip the same monster.

Scrap-Iron Recycling

SS a Machine from the GY in face-up or face-down Defense Position. Double usage. Generic Machine support? Okay, it's a Trap, but it revives a Machine twice. I'd make it a Continuous because it can be just resource to destroy, and keep the Set when the opponent SS, then banish stuff. By making a Continuous it's going to be more Archetype related, though, which can be good - it balances itself - but bad, because other Machine Decks might not want to run it.

Okay, an interesting Deck. Even though Synchros are not really my thing.

I think it will need another Continuous Spell/Trap. Maybe just a thing that gives a bit of protecton, maybe an in-Archetype Shifting Shadows so Skeleton will be more viable, and then an effect which triggers when destroyed, maybe adding that to your hand. If it were a Trap, there would be no need to worry.

And yes, going first is necessary. This Archetype is incredibly slow. 

Something like "When this monster is Normal or Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon a "Scrap-Iron" from your hand in face-up or face-down Defense Position" maybe?

Skeleton Gauss

Caught the wording earlier on Duel-Portal but forgot to edit it here. My bad. 

Effects that destroy but don't target already exist. Targeting just means you pick which cards you want to affect before the chain resolves. Cards like the Shinobarons (Spirit Ritual Monsters) don't target.

As for the effect while face-down, Amaterasu was the first card to do this, so I figured we could also have that. 

(Concerning endnote) it was intentionally made to be a bit more predictable, but yeah this card's definitely going to be changed around a bit. 

Sea Dragon

It's kinda meant to be that way. You can exploit the cards in your archetype to make it flip up during your opponent's Main Phase, so yeah it trades off being fast for being very hard to kill.

Scavenging

Bit broken but it's really the only broken card in the Deck at the moment (other than Star Fish which might need a DEF nerf since it can already search it). It's not too broken though, so if we end up balancing all of the archetypes we end up making we could semi-limit or limit it if the meta shows this Deck is best (which would be kinda unlikely but it's possible). 

Recycling

We don't have any generics from the real game so I figure having this for Machines isn't too terrible, although it will definitely work differently since I already feel it being a Continuous Trap would be more thematically appropriate.

The archetype itself is slow to start but snowballs into a continuous advantage, which I liked about Crystrons so I tried to emulate it here. Overall you might be right about that not all of them need to be able to turn into Tuners. There was a similar problem in Crystrons, so they made Crystron Sulphafnir to speed up the Deck quite a bit but still keep the idea of the Deck, hence the fact I might include a Level 5. 

So yeah thanks for the review!

Archived