[AGM/Written] Xage: Swarming debilitation! (15/15)

Dova

[spoiler=Prompt]

Cybernetic germ monsters; yeah, that sounds about right. 

DARK Aqua-Type monsters that incorporate a swarm / Kaiju-Duston style of play and are also treated as Machine-Type monsters. The smaller monsters Special Summon themselves to the opponent's field and prevent them from doing a certain thing unless the controller pays a certain cost. Higher monsters can be Special Summoned if a number of smaller members have been on the opponent's field for a certain number of turns and get stronger for every turn the smaller monsters remain on the field. There exist Spell Cards that can spam Xage monsters en masse to both fields, but that costs resources and your monsters end up blowing up at the end of the turn. 

If you like to swarm and suppress, this is the Deck for you.

[spoiler=Design Notes]This was....certainly an interesting set, to say the least. I struggled to capture what I felt was the Kaiju/Duston-style mentioned in the prompt for a while. Almost a month now, I think. Anyway, I started to get into it yesterday after I abandoned some initial tests for that time period, and now we have these.

My first idea to count the number of turns the monsters had been face-up on the field was, well, Counters, and while I really liked the idea initially, I struggled to give the monsters the field presence they needed to build up these Counters while not going overboard. My second idea was to have them Summon Tokens, but that felt cheaty, and I abandoned it shortly afterwards, despite me liking it more. But, combined with my expanded Spell support, I felt Counters could work. Yes, with the Spell's GY effects and other placements, it's technically not only the number of times the smaller monsters have been on the field that buffs up the big monsters, but I'm happy with what I came up with.

Something I've picked up from better cardmakers is the lack of HOPT on effects. I used to slap them on left right and center, but recently, since Yollohcoatl, I've decided I prefer the lack thereof, as it feels less hackneyed, for want of a better word. More pure, and perhaps with more effort going into the design. It was a bit worrying at first, when I gave some of the Xage monsters on-destruction effects, but I think by preventing too many loops, I've gotten this to work.

There's also a lot of Deck play, but that was intentional. With the shuffling and discarding, I think I've managed to prevent bricking from hurting you too much. A major problem in terms of antibricking, i.e. consistency, was the two Normal Spells I came with. Both without HOPT, with Mutation especially painful, but considering they can't loop with each other, it's probably fine.

The Machine/Aqua typing thing caused me a lot of strife, as I couldn't think of a way of leaving it in that felt right, and made use of the duality...but in the end I just said what the hell and put it in anyway. Hinted at it a little in some cards' effects, but otherwise it's good to be a little accurate with all the other deviations I've made.

If I'm honest, these cards are still on the weak site. Relying too much on field presence and stability means that against Decks like PSYFrames or True Draco they're not going to have a great time, but the combination of the artificial Counter placement along with the pains provided by the monsters, and I think its something functional to play around with.

[spoiler=Monsters: (8)]Xage Pnuematica
DARK | ✪ | Aqua/Effect | 200/0

If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only Special Summon this card once per turn this way. Cannot be targeted by cards or effects. Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed. You must pay 1000 LP to Tribute a monster(s) or use them as a Material for a Summon. Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Proteobattery
DARK | ✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 100/800

If your opponent controls a Machine monster(s), you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only Special Summon this card once per turn this way. If this card on the field is destroyed: You can Special Summon 1 “Xage” monster from your Deck to your opponent’s side of the field, except "Xage Proteobattery". You must discard 1 card to Special Summon a monster(s) or activate a card or effect that would Special Summon a monster(s). Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Mitochanical
DARK | ✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 600/1100

If your opponent controls an Aqua monster(s), you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only Special Summon this card once per turn this way. If this card on the field is destroyed: You can add 1 “Xage” card from your GY to your hand. You must send 1 card from your Extra Deck to the GY to Set a card(s). Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Systeria
DARK | ✪✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 300/1600

If your opponent controls an Aqua monster(s) and a Machine monster(s), you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only Special Summon this card once per turn this way. If this card on the field is destroyed: You can Special Summon 1 “Xage” monster from your hand or GY to your opponent’s side of the field, except "Xage Systeria". You must destroy 1 other card you control to add or to activate a card or effect that adds a card(s) from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Nucleotronic
DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 1800/1300

If your opponent controls 2 or more monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand or GY) to your opponent’s side of the field. You can only Special Summon this card once per turn this way. Cannot be targeted by cards or effects. Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed. You must shuffle 1 monster from your GY into your Deck to activate a monster effect on the field. Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Plagueneer
DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 2200/600

If there are 3 or more Disease Counters on your opponent's field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Disease Counter on your opponent’s field. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Disease Counter from a “Xage” monster your opponent controls instead. Once per turn, If there are 5 or more Disease Counters on the field, you can activate this effect: Your opponent discards 1 card.

Xage Interfluenza
DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 1900/2500

If there are 4 or more Disease Counters on your opponent's field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Disease Counter on your opponent’s field. If this card would be destroyed or banished, you can remove 1 Disease Counter from a “Xage” monster your opponent controls instead. Once per turn, if there are 6 or more Disease Counters on your opponent's field: You can destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls.

Xage Macropox
DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Aqua/Effect | 2600/1200

If there are 5 or more Disease Counters your opponent's field, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Disease Counter on your opponent’s field. If this card would leave the field because of an opponent's card, you can remove 1 Disease Counter from a “Xage” monster your opponent controls instead. Once per turn, if there are 7 or more Disease Counters on your opponent's field (Quick Effect): You can send 1 Machine monster your opponent controls to the GY.

[spoiler=Spells: (7)]Xage Environment
Field Spell
Monsters you own on your opponent's side of the field do not prevent "Xage" monsters you control from attacking directly. If a card with a Disease Counter(s) leaves the field, place 1 Disease Counter on this card. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Disease Counter from this card instead. Once per turn: You can move any remove any number of Disease Counters from this card up to the number of monsters your opponent controls, then distribute an equal number of Disease Counters among monsters they control. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; add 1 "Xage" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except a Field Spell.

Xage Infection
Normal Spell

Place 1 Disease Counter on each face-up monster your opponent controls, then add 1 “Xage” monster from your Deck to your hand, whose Level is less than or equal to the number of counters placed. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Mutation
Normal Spell

Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with the least Disease Counters on it (min. 1) (Your choice, if tied); remove all Disease Counters from it and an equal number of Disease Counters from another face-up monster they control (if able), and if you do, add “Xage” Spell Cards with different names from your Deck, except “Xage Mutation”, equal to the number of Disease Counters removed from that target, If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Mitosis
Quick-Play Spell

Tribute 1 monster you control; Special Summon 2 Level 5 or lower “Xage” monster from your Deck to your opponent’s field with different names to each other, but destroy them during the End Phase of this turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Infiltration
Quick-Play Spell
Discard 1 card, then activate 1 of these effects:
● Target 1 monster your opponent controls; change control of it and 1 "Xage" monster you control, but destroy them during the End Phase of this turn.
● Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower “Xage” monster from your Deck to your opponent’s field.
If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Xage Epidemic
Quick-Play Spell

Discard 1 card, then target 1 card in your GY; shuffle it into your Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower “Xage” monster to your opponent’s field and 1 Level 8 or higher “Xage” monster to your field, but destroy them during the End Phase of this turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

Foolish Vaccination
Quick-Play Spell

Target any number of monsters in your GY: Special Summon them to your opponent’s field in  face-up Defense Position. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; place 1 Disease Counter on it. (Monsters with Disease Counters on them are treated as Machine monsters in addition to their other Types.) 

CnC would be much appreciated!

Edits:
2/04 - Upped the LP cost for Pnuematica's effect, changed Systeria's cost and buffed Nucleotronic's GY effect. LP lowered for Vaccination. Main Deck bosses reworked. Field Spell added. Infiltration and Mutation slightly buffed.
3/04 - Reworked counter system and Main Deck monsters. Edited Field Spell.

I don't much about AGM (which is why I initially avoided this set) but you really deserve a review at this point since you're great at reviewing other's [myself included :) thanks]

I also just learned Links aren't a thing in AGM so these monster don't just become Link fodder.

The archetype is very resource intensive, you have to use several cards from your hand to get monsters onto your opponent's field, and frankly doesn't have a clear win condition

And the cost for a lot of the monsters isn't that high

Pnuematica's and Systeria's LP cost isn't that high so unless you're up against a super spammy deck it's not going to add up to a whole lot. Systeria's is level 4 as well so is probably the worst of them all.

Proteobattery's discard and Mitochanical's send from Extra are much better. 

Proteobattery means your opponent can't topdeck their way out their situation since they need a card to discards and discarding as a cost is generally pretty bad for most decks.

Mitochanical's send from Extra can trigger a lot of things (irl: Shaddolls, Herald of Arc Light, and N'tss but other makers probably have some Archetypes that do the same) but works wonders against Trap heavy decks. 

Nucleotronic is also basically free since you can shuffle any card from your GY which a lot of decks wouldn't mind doing. Though have to say it's great going first when your opponent has no cards in their GY so they can't activate their monster effects. Also stops handtraps (including Gamma unlike called by the Grave) going first so that's something as well. But then again this deck doesn't seem like a going first deck since a lot of card benefit from your opponent controlling a monster like Infection and Nucleotronic

The level 8,9 and 10 aren't that great, there's a lof of conflict of interest with the rest of the monsters. They prevent your opponent from killing themselves by the effect of your other monsters. They also have the fact your opponent can just sit on your monster so you have to attack your own monsters and losing you monster's extra effect so you can deal some damage, helping your opponent just to make some headway. Sure you can get a few searches and stuff but losing all your hard earned counters is pretty bad since they are so hard to generate. Would really like something like "Magical Citadel of Endymion" that lets you keep the counters since otherwise they just turn into big beaters.

Infection is fine, decent counter generation and a search.

Seems odd that Mutation needs to remove counters from the other monsters, not just the targeted one making it a very expensive card to play mid to late-game (also should point out I'm pretty sure this isn't an OTK deck) but hey, it can search out 2-3 cards so I can sorta understand it

Mitosis is really what the archetype needs, just spam a bunch of monsters to the field

Infiltration has some issues with that Pnuematica and Nucleotronic can't be targeted so don't work with this card, then again they don't float and generally have the worst effects so it's fine. Probably the closed thing to a win conditions the archetype has though.

Epidemic allows you to get a beater on the field, but it would be better if your opponent had to place the counter on the monster you have them before you had to destroy them since the monsters say "Once per turn, at the end of each turn, place 1 Disease Counter on this card." but this card destroys during the End Phase. Otherwise, you could protect your monster by removing a counter from the monster this card gave to your opponent.

Vaccination is a Soul Charge for your opponent? I get the idea but I really can't see it working, especially with a cost like that and requiring an as much setup as it does.

Like the second effect of placing counters gives them a lot more ways to place counters.

And 1 more thing, since Macropox says "If this card would leave the field, you can remove 1 Disease Counter from a “Xage” monsters your opponent controls instead.". If I were to say use it for a Fusion summon for Starving Venom or Winda, I could just remove a counter instead right? Really tried to break this but level 10 and Link not being a thing weren't helping, probably a Cannon Soldier FTK or something.

Always good to have harsh reviews, especially when my set doesn't turn out that well!

Yeah, I see what you mean for Pnuematica and Systeria. The trouble is balancing it for both spammy decks and not-spammy Decks. I guess I'll up the LP cost anyway for Pnuematica, as it is something you can play around. I slightly buffed Nucleotronic rather than upping the number of cards shuffled or whatever, as I think it's a very variable cost, and really depends on the gamestate, so tricky to even work around that. Contemplated changing the effects of the basically unchanged two to something else, but couldn't think of anything effective, but Systeria I had the idea of destroying 1 card you control to search. Pretty interesting pay-off, and could even be helpful for some decks.

Since the prompt wasn't originally counter-based, I was loathe to move onto designs which heavily featured counters any more than I already had done. But, now I see there's not really an alternative, and we now have a Field Spell to rival Endymion! As for the actual Main Deck monsters, I've decided to instead go with a more supportive style, relying more on the weaker monsters to actually win, and a little more of a win condition with the Field Spell. A bit worried about the low-level Monster Reborn one, but I think it turned out alright, especially with the slightly nerfed protection.

Mutation...it's a weird idea, I know, especially late game it can be quite devastating, and this archetype really should be a mid-late-game archetype. I buffed it a little, but do you think it's too strong now? Slightly buffed Infiltration so it only targets the opponent's monster. For Epidemic, I specifically made it do the End Phase to avoid those shenanigans, but I think with the buffed Main Deck monsters, it isn't really needed anyway. Unless of course, you still think so. Slightly buffed Vaccination now has no cost. Hooray.

Thanks a lot for the review! I see a messed up at a lot of points. Mind giving them another quick once-over to see if the changes are suitable?

Always good to have harsh reviews, especially when my set doesn't turn out that well!

Yeah, I see what you mean for Pnuematica and Systeria. The trouble is balancing it for both spammy decks and not-spammy Decks. I guess I'll up the LP cost anyway for Pnuematica, as it is something you can play around. I slightly buffed Nucleotronic rather than upping the number of cards shuffled or whatever, as I think it's a very variable cost, and really depends on the gamestate, so tricky to even work around that. Contemplated changing the effects of the basically unchanged two to something else, but couldn't think of anything effective, but Systeria I had the idea of destroying 1 card you control to search. Pretty interesting pay-off, and could even be helpful for some decks.

Since the prompt wasn't originally counter-based, I was loathe to move onto designs which heavily featured counters any more than I already had done. But, now I see there's not really an alternative, and we now have a Field Spell to rival Endymion! As for the actual Main Deck monsters, I've decided to instead go with a more supportive style, relying more on the weaker monsters to actually win, and a little more of a win condition with the Field Spell. A bit worried about the low-level Monster Reborn one, but I think it turned out alright, especially with the slightly nerfed protection.

Mutation...it's a weird idea, I know, especially late game it can be quite devastating, and this archetype really should be a mid-late-game archetype. I buffed it a little, but do you think it's too strong now? Slightly buffed Infiltration so it only targets the opponent's monster. For Epidemic, I specifically made it do the End Phase to avoid those shenanigans, but I think with the buffed Main Deck monsters, it isn't really needed anyway. Unless of course, you still think so. Slightly buffed Vaccination now has no cost. Hooray.

Thanks a lot for the review! I see a messed up at a lot of points. Mind giving them another quick once-over to see if the changes are suitable?

I can understand not wanting to make it more counter based but yeah can't see it working out any other way. The field spell is a good start but you also need to edit your other cards to make use of it, none of your cards can remove counters from it and it doesn't fulfill the summoning condition for the higher level monsters so at the moment there is no use for the counters (though it does fulfil the secondary effects of Plagueneer due to its different wording). 

Pnuematica can get some damage in now. I feel 1000 is about as high you get while still being "fair"

Systeria now has a pretty nasty effect, but that's only if it's the only Xage monster your opponent controls otherwise they'll just blow up the rest of the Xage monsters you gave them, but overall really good.

Nucleotronic is definitely putting more work in now since it's not nearly as easy to out. Can result in a situation for your opponent where they have to get a monster in the GY to activate a monster effect, but to get a monster in the GY they need to activate a monster effect.

Vaccination is a great way to spam monster to your opponent field, can also be used if when your opponent attempts to Ritual/Fusion summon you just fill up their board with Xage monsters. Overall this is the kind of card I expect from an archetype centered around giving monster to your opponent.

The secondary effects of the high-level monster aren't that great, I would say it would be better if they were focused on dealing with what your opponent managed to put on the board rather trying to keep them down by spamming more monsters. Right now this archetype has no in-archetype way to get over a card like "Marshmallon" (besides maybe "Infiltration" but your going pretty far neg for that). It fine that some of them are focused on the Duston playstyle but make 1-2 of them have some form of removal or an S/T with cheaper removal than "Infiltration".

On another note, making better use of the machine typeing would be cool, like having the counters turn monsters they are placed on into machines instead of just pasting "This card is treated as a machine" since some counters like the "Cubic" ones sorta have effects and then your field spell does something depending on how machines your opponent controls representing how the disease gets stronger as it spreads. Just some suggestions but none of the cards make use of it right now so outside the prompt there isn't much reason for it to exist.

I can understand not wanting to make it more counter based but yeah can't see it working out any other way. The field spell is a good start but you also need to edit your other cards to make use of it, none of your cards can remove counters from it and it doesn't fulfill the summoning condition for the higher level monsters so at the moment there is no use for the counters (though it does fulfil the secondary effects of Plagueneer due to its different wording). 

The secondary effects of the high-level monster aren't that great, I would say it would be better if they were focused on dealing with what your opponent managed to put on the board rather trying to keep them down by spamming more monsters. Right now this archetype has no in-archetype way to get over a card like "Marshmallon" (besides maybe "Infiltration" but your going pretty far neg for that). It fine that some of them are focused on the Duston playstyle but make 1-2 of them have some form of removal or an S/T with cheaper removal than "Infiltration".

On another note, making better use of the machine typing would be cool, like having the counters turn monsters they are placed on into machines instead of just pasting "This card is treated as a machine" since some counters like the "Cubic" ones sorta have effects and then your field spell does something depending on how machines your opponent controls representing how the disease gets stronger as it spreads. Just some suggestions but none of the cards make use of it right now so outside the prompt there isn't much reason for it to exist.

Hm, I'll think of something in regards to the Field Spell. Can't believe I forgot I made the counters only one-sided (it's because I hate ruining Mirror Matches).

Didn't really want removal, but I suppose in small amounts it would work. Definitely not keen to make more cards, so I'll just rework the main deck monsters again.

In regards to the Machine...look, I've always hated dual-typing for the sake of it. The prompt doesn't specify anything else other than "they're also treated as" and I felt I couldn't take much liberty for that. I suppose I could tie that into the removal of the monsters actually.

Hm, I'll think of something in regards to the Field Spell. Can't believe I forgot I made the counters only one-sided (it's because I hate ruining Mirror Matches).

Didn't really want removal, but I suppose in small amounts it would work. Definitely not keen to make more cards, so I'll just rework the main deck monsters again.

In regards to the Machine...look, I've always hated dual-typing for the sake of it. The prompt doesn't specify anything else other than "they're also treated as" and I felt I couldn't take much liberty for that. I suppose I could tie that into the removal of the monsters actually.

Understandable, I just feel like if this deck can stop the opponent from playing then it will do well, just need more ability to respond to your opponent if that doesn't happen

Yeah, have no idea where whoever made the prompt came up with the idea for the machine-type thing but it is fine as it is.

The changes look good, you ca now use the counters on the field spell now

I know I'm the one who suggested that the counters change the monster to machines, but this give the deck a ton of field nukes. System down can banish all monsters your opponent controls and a cyber dragon package such as Cyber Dragon core and Revsytem (Summon Core, search Revsytem, spread counters with Infection or Environment, make Fortress Dragon -> Next turn -> activate Revsytem, summon core, spread counters, summon another Fortress Dragon)

But since DNA surgery never took off with those combos it should be fine but wanted to bring it up anyways so you know about them.

It takes a few turns to set up which is fine considering the type of deck. You can expect your monster to live for a turn or 2 since Links aren't a thing, Tributes and Synchro decks may have something to say about that, but overall it's not a bad bet. 

I like the higher level monster much better, the Archetype doesn't fall prey to a single big beater now. 

Overall I say this archetype is pretty good now with all the changes 

The changes look good, you ca now use the counters on the field spell now

I know I'm the one who suggested that the counters change the monster to machines, but this give the deck a ton of field nukes. System down can banish all monsters your opponent controls and a cyber dragon package such as Cyber Dragon core and Revsytem (Summon Core, search Revsytem, spread counters with Infection or Environment, make Fortress Dragon -> Next turn -> activate Revsytem, summon core, spread counters, summon another Fortress Dragon)

Heheheh. That is me thinking ahead.

Not too concerned with System Down, as A) it's not in the AGM but a bigger B) I don't think the counter placement is fast enough for that to really be a field nuke. You are hurting your own monsters as well early-game.

But, combined with Fortress Dragon...it might be a problem. I'll keep my eye on it, can't believe I missed it. Thanks!

Archived