Magic The Gathering Question(s)

MarbleZone

Apologies if this doesn't belong here, I honestly couldn't think of a better place to ask, and making a thread about Magic the Gathering here seems pointless as others have tried and failed due to the low number of players in this site.

Anyway, I started playing today. Being the idiot I am, I bought two Expert level decks, which don't come with a rulebook. I found one online, and watched a few videos on youtube, and despite being much more complicated to pick up than Yugioh, it's not that hard, I think.

However, when I started playing myself to try the rules out, I came across a question I can't find the answer to anywhere.

Instants. They can be played during either player's turn. However, they have a mana cost, right? So, if mana burn takes place when you end your turn, that means you have no mana in your pool during your opponent's turn, yes? Then how can I play Instants during my opponent's turn if I can't touch my Lands and generate mana outside of my turn? I obviously misread a ruling somewhere, but the rulebook is enormous and way too much to soak it all up in one read.

Just for kicks, first person to clarify earns a rep.

Mana in your mana pool is only available during your turn. If you have excess mana at the end of your turn, each one left over deals 1 damage to you.

You CAN tap lands for mana during your opponent's turn to activate Instants and abilities if you have it available. I use Instants in my Green deck a lot.

Hope that helps you out. If you need more clarity, I'll help if I can.

I can tap Lands during my opponent's turn? So, how exactly does that work? If I tap them during my turn, and I only get to untap them during my next turn, that's a problem right there... also, what's the timing for tapping Lands during my opponent's turn? Whenever I want so I can activate Instants, or is there a ruling?

Okay, lemme see if this example helps:

1) I have 3 lands during my turn. I tap 2 of them to summon a monster and end my turn. I have one land available

2) It's my opponent's turn. I can activate an instant that costs 1 mana by tapping my last land at anytime. (Example would be when my opponent attacks, I activate the card Fog by tapping my last land since it costs 1 in order to stop all battle damage to me)

3) It's my turn again, so I untap my lands as normal.

Thanks all of you, I think I understand now. Another question, while I'm at it.

In one of the Structure Decks I bought, There was a card called Vault of Whispers, which is an Artifact Land.

I can only play 1 Land per turn, are Artifact Lands included? Meaning, can I play 1 Basic Land (like Swamp) and an Artifact Land (like Vault of Whispers) in the same turn or not?

Okay, that clears things up a bit.

Another, slightly less technical question. Should I run one or two colors? Two hasn't really been working out for me lately, but from what little I read online, most decks run two colors, not one...

If I do end up with a mixed deck, I'm thinking Black+Blue, but I'm not acquainted with what each color does yet to make a sensible decision. Could anybody shed some light on this too?

Depends on your style of play.

Single color decks work well on their own.

The Ravnica Block specialized in dual colors; each Guild was represented by 2 different colors. They worked incredibly well with their dual mana-producing lands and guild-specific abilities.

As for what each color does, here is a breakdown:

White = Gaining life, protection, and flying monsters

Black = Stealing life, monster destruction, discarding cards, and fear

Green = Gaining mana quickly, large creatures, swarming, and piercing

Red = Burn and destruction

Blue = Draw power, counter/control, and flying monsters

Settled for a blue one. I love the insane draw power and how it works with artifacts.

Another question - Tokens. Do I have to include token cards in my deck to be able to use cards that generate, for instance, green Saprolin Tokens? Or can I use any kind of marker instead of a card? Also, do Tokens have abilities of their own or are they always simple 1/1 creatures?

I assume that the Tokens aren't included in the Deck =/

I don't know if you can use coins etc. etc. as Tokens =/

Anyways, my deck building (Green/Red/Light) is currently halted D:

Waiting for scholar etc. etc.

Besides, I don't know how long Shards of Alara cards are legal =/

you can add mana to your mana pool at ANY time, as long as you have the mana to tap.

So, say I have 5 mountains, I tap 4 on my turn, and end my turn.

I have Shock in my hand that is an instant and takes 1 Red Mana

I tap the mountain at any time during my opponents turn and deal 2 damage to either the opponenets life directly or one of their creatures.. understand..?

EDIT: You can basically use anything as a token. Other cards placed upside down, even just a piece of paper, and even a penny, heads up - untapped, tails - tapped

it is waay more fun then YGO.. if you think about it, YGO is just a rip-off of MTG

The phases are the same except upkeep and standby phase are in different places..

WATER - Island

FIRE - Mountain

DARK - Swamp

LIGHT - Plains

EARTH - Forest

the only one that isn't there is WIND..

EDIT: Any more questions? :O

Anyways' date=' my deck building (Green/Red/Light) is currently halted D:

[/quote']

You are assuming it right...you use anything to mark tokens...In lastest packs on each booster you can get a token.

On the other Hand Shards of Alara is the current Standar.., actually the curent standar is conformed by this editions.

Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of alara, Conflux and 10th edition...

@Blackwind: Seeing that you have a mirrodin deck...the one that is the base for the affinity deck...I erecomend you run Blue as main color and red (I can Explain why) as secondary color with a splash of black...or Blue/White Black to help you with the color artifacts from Shards of Alara block...

[/quote']

You are assuming it right...you use anything to mark tokens...In lastest packs on each booster you can get a token.

On the other Hand Shards of Alara is the current Standar.., actually the curent standar is conformed by this editions.

Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of alara, Conflux and 10th edition...

@Blackwind: Seeing that you have a mirrodin deck...the one that is the base for the affinity deck...I erecomend you run Blue as main color and red (I can Explain why) as secondary color with a splash of black...or Blue/White Black to help you with the color artifacts from Shards of Alara block...

If you want to abuse the Affinity ability, you can run Mycosynth Golem from Fifth Dawn to give ALL your artifacts Affinity. (Remembers when I played a guy who got out 3 Darksteel Colossus out for FREE on one turn)...

As for multicolor decks, I would recommend running only 2 colors at the most; any more might cause problems (unless you REALLY know what you're doing). Blue artifact decks are just plain NASTY...

Actually' date=' I bought Darksteel decks - some cards do have affinity for Lands, though. I was amazed at how a card like Tidings was allowed, then I noticed the Blue Deck (Transference) came with 2 copies of an awesome card called Skullclamp. I was heartbroken to know they it was banned, I was already planning massive draw-power decks with it...

Blue artifact decks are just plain NASTY...

I had the same opinion, I built a Blue Artifact Deck two days go, but while playtesting against a Mono White Deck, I couldn't quite make it work... Perhaps because I focused a lot on Modulars and White isn't a big fan of destruction, so the counters couldn't circulate...

actually affinity run three colors to abuse the artifact lands..which you can only have 4 of each

Edit:

Here you have an afinitty build.

Lands-18:

2 Blinkmoth Nexus-----> You can replace them with Darksteel Citadels

4 Seat of the Synod

4 Ancient Den

4 Vault of Whispers

4 Great Furnance

Creatures-24:

2 Broodstar

4 Frogmite

4 Master of Etherium

4 Ornithopter

4 Arcbound Ravager

4 Arcbound Worker

2 Ethersworn Canonist

Spells-18:

4 Cranial Plating

4 Chromatic Star

2 Soul's Fire

4 Springleaf Drum

4 Thoughtcast

[/quote']

Well actually.. My friends deck came with 3 tokens o.o

Archived