Card Making Tutorial and Resources

Danilus

En Francais

I am in the process of updating this guide, please bare with me. Thanks.

Please read the FAQ at the bottom of this post to find out your query, if you have any more please post them here.

I thought I may as well make a small tutorial on making cards since some people here dont have a clue, firstly you must go to The Yu-Gi-Oh Card Maker to start your card making, I know it may seem a daunting process but this why I created this guide.

As you may well know, the card maker has been intergrated into this forum in the top menu, so you can go there also.

Anyway to your left of the screen are the text options.

r1dkqa.jpg

Name - The cards name maximum 18 letters long, if it is more the text will go off the edge of the card. To remedy this create the card with no name and place the name in after using MS Paint or some other graphics program.

NOTE: This problem as been fixed with the new and current version of the card maker.

Card Type - The choices are Monster, Ritual, Fusion, Spell and Trap. Tick the 'effect' box to make the monster an effect monster (This only applies to Monster, Ritual and Fusion cards)

Attribute - This also applies to Monster, Ritual and Fusion cards the attributes are Light, Dark, Fire, Water and Earth.

Level - Goes from Level 1 to Level 12

Trap/Magic Type - THis only applies to Magic and Trap cards your options here are Equip, Continuous, Counter, Quick-Play, Field and Ritual.

Card Rarity

Common ©: The most common rarity found in cards. Cards of this rarity do not have much value unless if it has very high demand.

Rare ®: The name of the card is printed in silver foil. There is about one in every pack (a card of a higher rarity will replace a Rare card). OCG packs are not guaranteed to have a Rare card unlike their TCG counterparts.

Super Rare (SR): The illustrations on these cards are printed with a holographic foil background. A Super Rare card comes in every six packs on average.

Ultra Rare (UR): The name of the card is printed in gold foil. The illustrations on these cards are printed with a holographic foil background, with a slight gold tint. An Ultra Rare card comes in one out of every twelve packs (from Legend of Blue-Eyes through Ancient Sanctuary and the Dark Beginnings/Dark Revelations reprint sets) or twenty-four packs (from Soul of the Duelist up through current releases, barring the Dark Beginnings and Dark Revelations reprint sets).

Secret Rare (SCR): The name of the card is printed in holographic silver foil. These cards feature a sparkling holographic illustration called "polarizing silver". They are used primarily for promotional cards (e.g. tins and video games) and in all sets from Legend of Blue-Eyes through Ancient Sanctuary and is reintoduced again from Strike Of Neos. On average, there is one in every thirty packs.

Ultimate Rare (ULT): The name of the card is printed in gold foil. The illustration's borders and card type buttons (and star level buttons for Monsters) on these cards are printed with a holographic foil background. They also have a relief effect due to them being embossed. There have been alternate ULT versions of every Rare/Super Rare/Ultra Rare in the sets since Soul of the Duelist.

Picture URL - You can add one of your own pictures from your computer by putting the path to the picture on your computer.

Example: C:\My Documents\Pictures\picture.jpg (Download Version Only)

You can also enter a web site URL that points to a picture.

Example: http://www.website.com/picture.jpg

You can also add in the picture by putting it in last using a 3rd party graphics program heres a lowdown on how you do it:

Create your card with no picture then save the card, open it up in any graphics program like MS Paint or Photoshop then paste and resize the image. Save the card as whatever format you like jpeg, png, bmp ect.

Set ID - This is for the unique identification number you wish to put on the card, the set ID on genuine Yu-Gi-Oh cards refers to what set it comes from.

Type - There are 20 different types you can input here and they are:

Dragon, Spellcaster, Zombie, Warrior, Beast-Warrior, Beast, Winged Beast, Fiend, Fairy, Insect, Dinosaur, Reptile, Fish, Sea Serpent, Machine, Thunder, Aqua, Pyro, Rock and Plant.

You can also tick the 'Divine' box to make the monster a Divine-Beast

Description - Enter here what your card actualy does. A Max of 237 Characters including spaces if this goes over 237 of course you realy dont have to count it :P it will become smaller and harder to read.

NOTE: This problem as been fixed with the new and current version of the card maker.

Circulation - Here you can input anything but for originality you can put '1st Edition' 'Promo' 'Limited Edition' or just leave it blank.

ATK / DEF - You can set the attack and defence of the monster from 0 to 9999 also you may put in X or a question mark '?' ('X' and '?' are sometimes used for effect monsters)

Creator - Your name

Year - The year

Serial Number - This is a cards unique serial number, every card has one you can either put your own in or generate a random one using the 'Random' button becide the box.

After you have filled in the fields correctly click 'Generate' to see your card in its marvelous glory.

New Additions.

Save Function

qrafyw.jpg

Use this save function in the upper right corner to save your finished cards for reference later.

Resources

Picture Hosting Sites

TinyPic

Photobucket

Imageshack

The Picture Bin

Upload 4 Free

Your Upload

All You Can Upload

Photos and Artwork for Cards

Aumania - Fantasy art - some adult content

Dungeon.gr

Fantasy Fine Art Gallery

Epilogue Fantasy Art

All Fantasy Art.com

JAE Studio

Dragon Slayer Network (Very good site for Dragon images)

Digital Art.org (A huge collection of artwork)

Santiago Quellion

Faries World (Lots of Fariy artwork)

Fantasy Artists.org (A gallery of various artwork)

French Boris Vallejo Artwork Site (Mostly Adult Content)

Fantasy Art Design (Mostly Backdrops, Awsome artwork)

Image Programs

Download.com - Offers a whole load of Freeware and Shareware image editing programs.

GIMP

Frequently Asked Questions.

Q: How do I put an image on the card?

A: In the Picture URL box you must put a direct link to the picture

Example: www.website.com/image.jpg

Of course you would have to go to a image hosting site and upload that said image before you directly link it.

TIP: Always use direct links when using the card maker, prefrably from image hosting sites.

Q: Is there any way to make the description text on the card larger?

A: No, but the new version will fix this issue. Keep an eyes out on the announcements on the board.

Q: The text on the card dosent appear, why is this?

A: Save the card directly onto your computer and host it using an image hosting site.

Q: How do I make the text on the card, colour?

A: The new version will fix this issue hopefuly, other then that you must use a 3rd party graphics program like Photoshop, Paint or any other graphics program you may have.

Q: Yeah, thats all well and good telling me this, how do I post the picture?

A: When you make or replay to a topic, notice that there are boxes with various tags, copy the 'direct link' and paste it into your post and dont forget to highlight the link and click on the IMG tag.

Q: How do I print the cards out because I want to show people my creations?

A: (By HORUS) To save a card, put the pointer of your mouse somewhere on the card and a box should appear in the left upper corner. click the save button. To print it, right click the picture and copy it. then paste the picture into microsoft word or another word processor and resize it. It should be about 2.25 inches by 3.25 inches.

Have any questions, comments or suggestions PM me and i'll be glad to help out.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was going to say there are two ways you would possably do it one of the ways are save it to your computer deskto etc. then put the pitcher on by clicking edit and then when you have done your stuff like putting the pitcher on etc. then go to imageshack.us then host it. the second possable way is to click the card you generated when you finished doing your mumbo jumbo stuff then click the pitcher on the far right then you will go onto imageshack.us see wo possable way and no impossable ways! there i hope i was a little help :lol: oh and i hope i didn't do this help thingie in the wrong place!

Mine always seems to fit nicely, I can remember some theories on the old forums where you must click on the arrows, I'm usually click on those anyway to review what I've written and check for spelling and/or grammer mess ups (neat freak). Anyway, try that, it might just work... maybe...

Mine always seems to fit nicely' date=' I can remember some theories on the old forums where you must click on the arrows, I'm usually click on those anyway to review what I've written and check for spelling and/or grammer mess ups (neat freak). Anyway, try that, it might just work... maybe...[/quote']

Arrows? I see no arrows, unless your talking about the downloadable version then I wouldent know what your talking about because I cant get it to work. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived