X-box 360 Fail Rate is 54%

Cyber Altair

This is another reason I don't want a 360. Really that is just bad on Microsoft’s part since this has been a problem from day one and you'd think that by now they'd have most of the kinks worked out. Cause really, 54% is simply ridiculous.

Also, on the topic of Wii, and PS3 failures, I'd say the PS3 is more in the acceptable range, granted still a bit high. The Wii is in the range of what I'd say is good (IMO it being 5%-8%)

This is a fairly biased test, seeing as everyone interviewed was selected from a gaming community, and probably play for extended periods of time, increasing the risk of overheat. Also, seeing as there was no way of assuring honesty, there will have been many who answered yes for ulterior reasons (ie, not liking the XBox 360). I think a fairer measure of the fail rate would be Microsoft's official statement saying pre-Jasper, non-Elite models had a failure rate of 32% within their first three years. This was at the beginning of this fiscal year, so the number may have crept to high 30%s, and very possibly early 40%s, but 54% is an exaggerated number, and should not be trusted.

Having said that, have a failure rate of between 35 and 40% is not good by anyone's books.

It's called the red ring of death. That happens when the console gets over heated and malfunctions. It only happens in the older models. But that problem is easily fixed. All you need to do is put another fan on the back of the console, and it will keep it cool. I don't know how to put it on, because my dad did it to ours. But that fan really works. I would rather have better graphics/sound effects. So I will put up with that small little malfunction that is easily fixed.

This is a fairly biased test' date=' seeing as everyone interviewed was selected from a gaming community, and probably play for extended periods of time, increasing the risk of overheat. Also, seeing as there was no way of assuring honesty, there will have been many who answered yes for ulterior reasons (ie, not liking the XBox 360). I think a fairer measure of the fail rate would be Microsoft's official statement saying pre-Jasper, non-Elite models had a failure rate of 32% within their first three years. This was at the beginning of this fiscal year, so the number may have crept to high 30%s, and very possibly early 40%s, but 54% is an exaggerated number, and should not be trusted.

Having said that, have a failure rate of between 35 and 40% is not good by anyone's books.

[/quote']

This is Game Informer not your usual dumb magazine. Also the gaming systems were made for the hardcore gamers, they should be able to handle 5-6 hours. Previous generation consoles did.

I don't rate Game Informer very highly, Cyber Altair. We're talking about a magazine owned by a company whose parent company is a games store, you are almost certain to find inherent bias in many of their articles. Plus, you shouldn't be playing for more than about an hour with a fifteen minute break in the middle for health reasons, never mind over-heating. You can get circulation problems from remaining in one position for too long.

Besides, this problem is fairly irrelevant now, the Jasper Model does not RRoD (or at least, it has a massively reduced failure rate that puts it back with the Wii and PS3 for reliability), and the newer Elites are similarly fixed. While it was a stupid move for Microsoft to release software that wasn't ready yet, fixed software has now been released.

Hey if a old super nes could handle me and my freind beating every game we had for it ( like 25 )

a newer sytem should be able to handle it.

I can't play though all of LOZTP in one siting on my wii

I can't play though all of Halo 3 in one siting on my xbox360

I cant get though 1/4 of obliven in one siting on my PS3

All becasue of overheating

I don't rate Game Informer very highly' date=' Cyber Altair. We're talking about a magazine owned by a company whose parent company is a games store, you are almost certain to find inherent bias in many of their articles. Plus, you shouldn't be playing for more than about an hour with a fifteen minute break in the middle for health reasons, never mind over-heating. You can get circulation problems from remaining in one position for too long.

Besides, this problem is fairly irrelevant now, the Jasper Model does not RRoD (or at least, it has a massively reduced failure rate that puts it back with the Wii and PS3 for reliability), and the newer Elites are similarly fixed. While it was a stupid move for Microsoft to release software that wasn't ready yet, fixed software has now been released.

[/quote']

Nobody died from playing too long. Well longer than 15 hours but anyway console's shouldn't be made to work for 1-2 hours than you have to turn it off or it'll break. Also GI is most probably the best gaming magazine out there now that EGM isn't and it isn't gonna purposely trash the reputation of a console never mind one which they are big money from unless they're being fair.

Shockingly, this is no shock. I just received 2 calls from 2 different friends in the past week that their XBOX 360 of less than 15 months had to be returned.

54% is a bit too high, and I still wonder why people take these risks and buy the XBOX. :/

I can play my Wii for up to 4 hours in a row (maybe a 10-minute food break, but it's still on and the game is on, no one is playing, however) without the slightest problem, but after 4 hours I get a bit scared.

Shockingly' date=' this is no shock. I just received 2 calls from 2 different friends in the past week that their XBOX 360 of less than 15 months had to be returned.

54% is a bit too high, and I still wonder why people take these risks and buy the XBOX. :/

I can play my Wii for up to 4 hours in a row (maybe a 10-minute food break, but it's still on and the game is on, no one is playing, however) without the slightest problem, but after 4 hours I get a bit scared.

[/quote']

Pussy.

I don't rate Game Informer very highly' date=' Cyber Altair. We're talking about a magazine owned by a company whose parent company is a games store, you are almost certain to find inherent bias in many of their articles. Plus, you shouldn't be playing for more than about an hour with a fifteen minute break in the middle for health reasons, never mind over-heating. You can get circulation problems from remaining in one position for too long.

[/quote']

Nobody died from playing too long. Well longer than 15 hours but anyway console's shouldn't be made to work for 1-2 hours than you have to turn it off or it'll break. Also GI is most probably the best gaming magazine out there now that EGM isn't and it isn't gonna purposely trash the reputation of a console never mind one which they are big money from unless they're being fair.

What GI is does not change the fact that there is likely a high chance of lieing in part of Playstation owners that claim that they own a 360 and that it failed, they don't know who owns what unless they ask and even then they can be lied to. Also, taking in that they asked 5,000 readers without any specific numbers as to the total for each console really makes you wonder about the true range of just how many are failing.

As Deucalion stated, a more accurate number would be from Microsoft itself. They know exactly how many people own 360s and how many of them are failing. Also, as Deucalion pointed out again, a majority of these problems are already fixed and the ones that are failing are just the ones that are too old to have all the fixes.

yes but keep in mind the user's stated they use it a lot less than the PS3. Something small as the Wii would surely overheat should a person play on it for quite some times.

I can understand the lesser use of the PS3 would make it's fail rate lower (If memory serves this does, or did, have some problems with overheating. As for the Wii though, I've been able to play mine for hours on end and the only time it overheated was my own fault because I ended up breaking to cooling fans. Hell I think it was Dragon Master that would simply leave his Wii on all day and nothing bad would happen to it.

[align=center]I don't know how many times My 360 has had a Red ring, i don't go on it that much now, i mainly go on my ps3, hasn't even broken once, ive had it for awhile, While my 360 has had a red rign and wouldn't turn on 5 times,

No wounder the fail rate on the 360 is that high..[/align]

Archived