Symphonic Metal

The Dark One

This is both a discussion of bands that fit pretty neatly under the Symphonic Metal genre such as Nightwish, After Forever, Epica, Within Temptation, Apocalyptica, etc. as well as 'Symphonic ________' bands like the Agonist (Symphonic Metalcore), Kamelot (Symphonic Power Metal), Dimmu Borgir (Symphonic Black Metal), etc.

I tend to prefer the "Symphonic" rendition of a genre over a more conventioanl rendition of a genre. (With obvious exceptions, of course, such as Nu Metal)

And of course, Nightwish is absolutely excellent.

How about you guys?

I love symphonic metal. It holds some amazing artists with masterful pieces of music, but at the same time there's also mediocre artists who end up sounding cheesy and over the top *coughavantasiacough*

Some of my favorites (based off of their sub-sub genres)

Traditional symphonic: Nightwish, After Forever, Epica, The Sundial, Within Temptation,

Symphonic Power Metal: Galneryus, Avantasia (even though they're quite cheesy and over the top, I do enjoy them. xD), Vanishing Point

Symphonic Black: Kadenzza, Dryados, Carach Angren, Hollenthon, Ethereal Sin, Hortus Animae, Tvangeste, Older Dimmu Borgir, Obtained Enslavement, Luna Ad Noctum, Alghazanth, Apostatia

Symphonic Death: Dominia, Eternal Tears of Sorrow

There's a bunch more. They're just some stand-out artists off the top of my head.

Clearly one of my favourite genres.

Actually it was my only fave (with Gothic and Melodeath Metal) before I stumbled across Darkwave, Ambient and the other good sides of electronic music.:)

But it still has a big place in my heart.;)

My favourites are Nightwish obviously, Seraphim (underrated since no one knows them (they're from Taiwan)), After Forever, Elis, Edenbridge, Delain, Xandria, Catharsis, Stream of Passion, Aesma Daeva, Visions of Atlantis, Echoes of Eternity, Autumn, Lake of Tears, old Theatre of Tragedy, Silentium, Flowing Tears, Onyx Eyes.

Used to like Within Temptation but damn, Sharon can't sing.=/

Other bands that use Symph. elements: Krypteria (crossover of Power/Gothic Metal with choirs and orchestras), Graveworm (Symphonic Black/undefined Metal), Crimson Moonlight, Vesperian Sorrow, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Eternal Tears of Sorrow.

I love symphonic metal. It holds some amazing artists with masterful pieces of music' date=' but at the same time there's also mediocre artists who end up sounding cheesy and over the top *coughavantasiacough*[/quote']

Agrred with teh master.

Basically Symphonic and Gothic Metal are facing the same problem.

The "heavenly voices" trend.x_X Aka overflow of female-fronted Metal bands with similar lyrics at the point of becoming a cliché...

I don't think all of them are like this but it has become a common trend which makes it harder for the really good bands to stand out without getting pushed into the same corner.

Clearly one of my favourite genres.

Actually it was my only fave (with Gothic and Melodeath Metal) before I stumbled across Darkwave' date=' Ambient and the other good sides of electronic music.:)

But it still has a big place in my heart.;)

My favourite are Nightwish obviously, Seraphim (underrated since no one knows them (they're from Taiwan)), After Forever, Elis, Edenbridge, Delain, Xandria, Catharsis, Stream of Passion, Aesma Daeva, Visions of Atlantis, Echoes of Eternity, Autumn, Lake of Tears, old Theatre of Tragedy, Silentium, Flowing Tears, Onyx Eyes.

Used to like Within Temptation but damn, Sharon can't sing.=/

Other bands that use Symph. elements: Krypteria (crossover of Power/Gothic Metal with choirs and orchestras), Graveworm (Symphonic Black/undefined Metal), Crimson Moonlight, Vesperian Sorrow, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Eternal Tears of Sorrow.

I love symphonic metal. It holds some amazing artists with masterful pieces of music, but at the same time there's also mediocre artists who end up sounding cheesy and over the top *coughavantasiacough*

Agrred with teh master.

Basically Symphonic and Gothic Metal are facing the same problem.

The "heavenly voices" trend.x_X Aka overflow of female-fronted Metal bands with similar lyrics at the point of becoming a cliché...

I don't think all of them are like this but it has become a common trend which makes it harder for the really good bands to stand out without getting pushed into the same corner.

Thank you for including some crucial bands that I forgot, master. :-D

Edenbridge, Aesma Deva, Lake of Tears, Flowing Tears, Graveworm (even though they've gone downhill with the past few albums), Vesperian Sorrow, Blind Guardian, and Theater of Tragedy. And Sharon can't sing. At least someone else agrees with me. :-D

You can never go wrong with Symphonic Metalcore.

You can ALWAYS go wrong with symphonic metalcore *coughwindsofplaguecoughabigailwilliamscough*

I think Winds of Plague are okay. Not the best but I can listen to them. Anyways THE best genre of music ever. Kamelot, Epica, The Agonist, Dimmu Borgir, etc. etc. are some of the best bands ever (Kamelot and The Agonist FTW). Also, Naglfar (if they're symphonic).

I think Winds of Plague are okay. Not the best but I can listen to them. Anyways THE best genre of music ever. Kamelot' date=' Epica, The Agonist, Dimmu Borgir, etc. etc. are some of the best bands ever (Kamelot and The Agonist FTW). Also, Naglfar (if they're symphonic).

[/quote']

A lot of people consider Naglfar more of a melodic black metal band. Though, I consider them symphonic black metal because they have a very symphonic sound most of the time.

Sharon is a joke compared to Tarja Turunen, Floor Jansen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Ji-In from Krypteria or even Anette Olson.

I don't find Simone Simons' voice that great either. She's pretty =O but sounds kinda average to me.=/

I wasn't really impressed by Graveworm's new stuff either. The last thing I really enjoyed by them was (N)Utopia but only when I'm really feeling down. There's some good stuff on both (N)Utopia and Diabolical Figures but it's not like Scourge of Malice where everything was good.=O

Because Opalmoon has been here' date=' there isn't much left to mention. >_>

Though not my favorites in this genre, Imperia and Trail of Tears are pretty some nice bands too.

And I've seen Nightwish and Epica live! =D

[/quote']

=O When Opalmoon has come around there's liek... nothing left to say!

Sharon is a joke compared to Tarja Turunen' date=' Floor Jansen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Ji-In from Krypteria or even Anette Olson.

I don't find Simone Simons' voice that great either. [s']She's pretty =O[/s] but sounds kinda average to me.=/

I wasn't really impressed by Graveworm's new stuff either. The last thing I really enjoyed by them was (N)Utopia but only when I'm really feeling down. There's some good stuff on both (N)Utopia and Diabolical Figures but it's not like Scourge of Malice where everything was good.=O

Because Opalmoon has been here' date=' there isn't much left to mention. >_>

Though not my favorites in this genre, Imperia and Trail of Tears are pretty some nice bands too.

And I've seen Nightwish and Epica live! =D

[/quote']

=O When Opalmoon has come around there's liek... nothing left to say!

Scourge of Malice is a gift from the heavens. =O

Sharon is a joke compared to Tarja Turunen' date=' Floor Jansen, Anneke van Giersbergen, Ji-In from Krypteria or even Anette Olson.

I don't find Simone Simons' voice that great either. [s']She's pretty =O[/s] but sounds kinda average to me.=/

I totally agree on that front. Simone Simons has a pretty crappy voice, actually. I like Epica's compositions, but it's clear that you just aren't supposed to be picking a singer because she's your girlfriend at the time. ;)

Also, Seraphim is excellent.

Archived