Ritual Monsters in the Extra Deck

syncros are better than rituals, i think that's clear. they do need to make more powerful rituals since demise and relinquished are the only really good ones, and they're outclassed by other monsters (JD and Bloo-D). If rituals had these crazy effects, i think they would be used more, even though rituals can be dead draws.

I love Rituals.

I would love to see some innovation in their implementation, but please, no extra Deck shenanigans.

I like the fact that Ritual Spells actually do something other than Special Summon their deity. I hope to see in the future different costs for Ritual Spells such as: "Fire Monsters whose levels equal the level of the monster you want to summon or more" or "2 defense position monsters you control" or "monsters whose Atk are less than 1500"

But Rituals need to become broken in order to become more usable. Most Rituals summons have the user going -2 at the least. The user needs to get something useful out of that exchange.

Also, they need this guy:

Djinn Cockblocker of Meta

DARK/4/1900/1200

Fiend/Effect

When this card is used for the Ritual Summon of a Ritual Monster Card, the Ritual monster may be Summoned from the Deck or Graveyard. While the monster Ritual Summoned using this card is face-up on the field, your opponent cannot activate monster effects from their hand or Graveyard.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been claiming for years that Ritual mechanic was wrong. It was a game design error.

When Ritual Monsters are used in the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime/cartoon, the Ritual Monster card is not in the player's hand or deck. It is obvious that the Ritual Monster cards come from a separated pile of cards, just like Fusion Monster cards. (Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bub6Jl3nG8&feature=related.) Moreover, the Ritual Summon can only be performed tributing monsters on the field, not monsters in the hand.

For that reason, I've been thinking that, from the beggining, the Ritual mechanic should have been something like this:

1 - Ritual Monsters would not be included in the deck, but rather in the Ritual Deck, just like Fusion Monsters are in the Fusion Deck, OR in the "Extra Deck" (containing Fusion Monsters and Ritual Monsters).

2 - A Ritual Monster is Summoned by Ritual Summon, using a proper Ritual Spell card. Ritual Spell cards require that you tribute one or more monsters on the field, which must fulfill a given criteria (for example: total levels equal to the level of the Ritual Monster).

3 - Sonic Bird, Manju of Thousand Hands and Senju of Ten Thousand Hands wouldn't be created. Advanced Ritual Art would have never been made.

With this mechanic, Ritual Monsters wouldn't be broken. They would be playable, possibly competitive, but not broken. Synchro Monsters are cheaper and easier to summon than this would be.

Obviously, some cards would be adapted. For example, Relinquished would be too easy to summon, but that could be easly solved changing Dark Illusions Ritual's effect: requiring exact level, i.e., 1 level 1 monster as tribute; requiring DARK spellcasters; etc.

Today we can play synchros with no need to play a dedicated deck, it is as easy as including 1 or more Tuner Monsters in the deck. With the said mechanic, we could play Ritual monsters without any need to play a dedicated deck, it would be as easy as including a Ritual Spell card in the deck. Theme-specific Ritual Monsters would also be possible.

----------------------------

About the hypothesis of Konami changing the Ritual mechanic, I think that will never happed. Is it possible? Yes, it is possible. It would require some radical changes: some Ritual suport cards would be illegal to play (Sonic Bird, Manju of Thousand Hands, Senju of Ten Thousand Hands, Advanced Ritual Art, the Djinns of Rituals...); some Ritual Monsters, Ritual Spell cards and Ritual suport cards would be given an Errata in order to adapt to the new mechanic and/or to prevent brokeness (Black Illusions Ritual, Preparation for the Ritual,...). These changes are feasible, but I don't think Konami will do that. I still want to hope something like that, though.

*facepalm* Don't necrobump' date=' this is almost a month old

[/quote']

Ok, next time I'll create a new thread to discuss something that has been previously discussed, thus ignoring the previous contributions.

My intention is not necrobumping. I wanted to discuss the possibility of a diferent Ritual Mechanic.

Guest Chaos Pudding

*facepalm* Don't necrobump' date=' this is almost a month old

[/quote']

Ok, next time I'll create a new thread to discuss something that has been previously discussed, thus ignoring the previous contributions.

My intention is not necrobumping. I wanted to discuss the possibility of a diferent Ritual Mechanic.

Then make a new topic.

Archived