The Genzo Banlist 2.0

My first banlist in a long time, I guess i'm just a sucker for going with the craze. Run under 3-0 logic. This is a modified version of a modified version of a 2008 list, so there may be a few discrepancies about what got moved from where to where, feel free to point them out. Hopefully this can help put a damper on all the banlist threads as I seriously doubt most members can make one as good as this.

I. Forbidden Cards

You cannot use these cards in your Deck, Extra Deck or Side Deck.

ARCANA FORCE EX - THE DARK RULER

ARCANA FORCE XXI - THE WORLD

ARMED SAMURAI BEN-KEI

BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER - ENVOY OF THE BEGINNING

BLACKWING - VAYU THE EMBLEM OF HONOR

BLASTING THE RUINS

BRAIN CONTROL

BRAIN RESEARCH LAB

BREAKER THE MAGICAL WARRIOR

BRIONAC, DRAGON OF THE ICE BOUNDARY

BUTTERFLY DAGGER - ELMA

CARD OF SAFE RETURN

CALL OF THE HAUNTED

CHANGE OF HEART

CHAOS EMPEROR DRAGON - ENVOY OF THE END

CHAOS SORCERER

CHIMERATECH OVERDRAGON

CHIMERATECH FORTRESS DRAGON

COLD WAVE

CONFISCATION

CRUSH CARD VIRUS

CYBER DRAGON

CYBER END DRAGON

CYBER TWIN DRAGON

CYBER JAR

CYBER-STEIN

DARK ARMED DRAGON

DARK HOLE

DARK STRIKE FIGHTER

DARK MAGICIAN OF CHAOS

DELINQUENT DUO

DEMISE KING OF ARMAGGEDON

DESTINY HERO - DISK COMMANDER

DIMENSION FUSION

EXCHANGE OF THE SPIRIT

EXODIA THE FORBIDDEN ONE

FIBER JAR

GRACEFUL CHARITY

GREEN BABOON, DEFENDER OF THE FOREST

GLADIATOR BEAST GYZARUS

GORZ THE EMISSARY OF DARKNESS

HARPIE'S FEATHER DUSTER

IMPERIAL ORDER

IMPERIAL IRON WALL

INFERNO TEMPEST

INFERNO RECKLESS SUMMON

JUDGMENT DRAGON

LAST TURN

LAST WILL

LIFE EQUALIZER

LIMITER REMOVAL

MACHINE DUPLICATION

MAGICAL EXPLOSION

MAGICAL SCIENTIST

MAKYURA THE DESTRUCTOR

MEZUKI

MIND CONTROL

MIRAGE OF NIGHTMARE

MONSTER REBORN

MORPHING JAR

NOBLEMAN OF CROSSOUT

PAINFUL CHOICE

PHANTOM OF CHAOS

POT OF GREED

PREMATURE BURIAL

RAIGEKI

RESCUE CAT

RETURN FROM THE DIFFERENT DIMENSION

REVERSAL QUIZ

RING OF DESTRUCTION

SANGAN

SELF-DESTRUCT BUTTON

SINISTER SERPENT

SNATCH STEAL

SNIPE HUNTER

SPIRIT REAPER

SUMMONER MONK

THE FORCEFUL SENTRY

THOUSAND-EYES RESTRICT

TIME SEAL

TRAGOEDIA

TREEBORN FROG

TRIBE-INFECTING VIRUS

UNITED WE STAND

ULTIMATE OFFERING

VICTORY DRAGON

WITCH OF THE BLACK FOREST

YATA-GARASU

NEW! - Arcana Force EX - The Dark Ruler, Arcana Force XXI - The World, Breaker The Magical Warrior, Rescue Cat, Gorz the Emissary of Darkness, Dark Armed Dragon, Judgment Dragon, Treeborn Frog, Demise King of Armageddon, Brain Control, Nobleman of Crossout, Cyber Dragon, Cyber Twin Dragon, Cyber End Dragon, Chimeratech Overdragon, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon, Phantom of Chaos, Gladiator Beast Gyzarus, Spirit Reaper, Snipe Hunter Inferno Tempest, Blasting the Ruins, Magical Explosion, Life Equalizer, Armed Samurai Ben-Kei, Ultimate Offering, Return From the Different Dimension, Sangan, Exodia the Forbidden One, United We Stand, Imperial Iron Wall, Self-Destruct Button, Reversal Quiz, Machine Duplication, Inferno Reckless Summon, Morphing Jar, Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor, Tragoedia, Chaos Sorcerer, Mind Control, Summoner Monk, Cold Wave, Call of the Haunted, Mezuki, Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Boundary, Limiter Removal, Brain Research Lab

II. Limited Cards

You can ONLY use one of the following cards in the Deck, Extra Deck & Side Deck combined.

BLACK WHIRLWIND

CARD DESTRUCTION

CHAIN STRIKE

CEASEFIRE

DESTINY HERO - MALICIOUS

ELEMENTAL HERO STRATOS

FLINT LOCK

GIANT TRUNADE

GRAVITY BIND

HEAVY STORM

LEVEL LIMIT - AREA B

MAGIC CYLINDER

MEGAMORPH

MIRROR FORCE

NIGHT ASSAILANT

TORRENTIAL TRIBUTE

NEW! - Chain Strike, Destiny Hero - Malicious, Flint Lock, Black Whirlwind

III. Semi-Limited Cards

You can ONLY use two of the following cards in the Deck, Extra Deck & Side Deck combined.

(None)

NO LONGER LIMITED - Book of Moon, Foolish Burial, Magical Stone Excavation, Manticore of Darkness, Mask of Darkness, Necroface, Metamorphosis, Advanced Ritual Art, Future Fusion, Raiza the Storm Monarch, Reasoning, Monster Gate, Neo-Spacian Grand Mole, Mystical Space Typhoon, Scapegoat, Marshmallon, Smashing Ground, Fissure, Swords of Revealing Light, Wall of Revealing Light, Card Trooper, Magician of Faith, Mind Crush, All Exodia Limbs, Tsukuyomi, Gold Sarcophagus, Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind, Plaguespreader Zombie, Mind Master, One for One, Black Rose Dragon, Solemn Judgment, Lonefire Blossom, Bottomless Trap Hole, Ojama Trio, Transmigration Prophecy, Reinforcements of the Army, Trap Dustshoot

Yeah' date=' that's right. If the head's banned, there's no reason to keep the limbs limited as they're just harmless vanillas. The head's the one that generated the effect anyway.

Cyber Dragon promotes aggressive play too much, and we have many more balanced versions of him.

[/quote']

Why ban the head? What is Exodia doing that needs a ban anymore?

Cyber Dragon is NOT ban worthy at all to me...

Reasons for following

Mezuki

Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor

Summoner Monk

The first two provide easy +1s and promote OTKs by making it incredibly easy to win if you get a clear field.

Summoner monk is broken for his ability to search out anything with next to no drawbacks. You just discard a spell to toolbox any card you could possibly need at a time' date=' even just get a tuner for a quick sync.

Black Whirlwind

It provides a valid win condition for BWs and adds skill to the game by making players think carefully about one BW they want. It's easily countered by removing either the monster or the spell itself. It's only broken when used in multiple copies, since that removes the element of skill by allowing players to fill their hand with anything they could possibly need.

Ojama Trio

The Transmigration Prophecy

Twin-Headed Behemoth (some ruling makes it so he doesn't need to be at 1)

Limiter Removal

These ones are mistakes. Thanks for finding them for me (this list is modified from my earlier one' date=' made before the ruling, for instance).

Mind Master

Marshmallon

Why would they be at anything other than three?

The first two provide easy +1s and promote OTKs by making it incredibly easy to win if you get a clear field.

The targets are limited. Zuki can only bring back Zombies' date=' and most of the time it will have less then 2000 ATK. Even if it's a bit stronger it won't top 2400.

Vayu again has the limit that hurts it's playability. It can only take BW synchros, of which we only have 3. Still this is understandable since unlike Zuki we are dealing with much larger beasticks.

Also it's hard to get said clear field in a good format.

Summoner monk is broken for his ability to search out anything with next to no drawbacks. You just discard a spell to toolbox any card you could possibly need at a time, even just get a tuner for a quick sync.

Unless you tune the monster can't do anything. Andit isn't any card, it's only level 4 monsters which greatly limits it. The tuning is aproblem, but for that ban any problem synchros.

It provides a valid win condition for BWs and adds skill to the game by making players think carefully about one BW they want. It's easily countered by removing either the monster or the spell itself. It's only broken when used in multiple copies' date=' since that removes the element of skill by allowing players to fill their hand with anything they could possibly need.

[/quote']

you were just saying how bad Vayu and Zuki were for being +1 that can lead to OTKs, but this does the same thing. Only continuous +1 that basicly gives every BW a gadget style effect, only here you can have free range at what to take. Also your logic for banning Monk can be used here.

These ones are mistakes. Thanks for finding them for me (this list is modified from my earlier one' date=' made before the ruling, for instance).

[/quote']

Thought as much. I was recently updating an old list I made and I'm sure I missed several changes.

Why would they be at anything other than three?

Mind Master has an easy OTK

Marshmallon is the same as Spirit Reaper basicly, so why have that banned and this at 3?

The targets are limited. Zuki can only bring back Zombies' date=' and most of the time it will have less then 2000 ATK. Even if it's a bit stronger it won't top 2400.

Vayu again has the limit that hurts it's playability. It can only take BW synchros, of which we only have 3. Still this is understandable since unlike Zuki we are dealing with much larger beasticks.

Also it's hard to get said clear field in a good format.[/quote']

Despair from the Dark says high. Clearing the field and summoning a few of him is basically game.

OK, I guess i've explained that one enough then.

Not really in a dedicated deck (esp. if vayu), you've got 3 MST, Trunade, if you want to get fancy even delta crow anti reverse, plus a lightning vortex (even gives a discard outlet for the two of them) or something, it's feasible especially if you consider the component cards are all very good even outside the OTK.

Unless you tune the monster can't do anything. Andit isn't any card' date=' it's only level 4 monsters which greatly limits it. The tuning is aproblem, but for that ban any problem synchros.[/quote']

The monster you grab can still use it's effect. Dark Grepher, lightsworns, plenty that can toolbox into very strong combos, and the synchroing is a problem in it's own right. Not because any specific synchro, but because you can get any level 8 you want to fit the situation for minimal effort.

you were just saying how bad Vayu and Zuki were for being +1 that can lead to OTKs' date=' but this does the same thing. Only continuous +1 that basicly gives every BW a gadget style effect, only here you can have free range at what to take. Also your logic for banning Monk can be used here.[/quote']

You have to use a card from your hand in this case, that doesn't show a return on that investment unless you've used it at least twice, which will be hard to do (especially with MST at three in this list), like I said it promotes skilled play and unlike monk actually aids a decktype (monk is splashable in many decks and rejects skilled deckbuilding).

Mind Master has an easy OTK

Marshmallon is the same as Spirit Reaper basicly' date=' so why have that banned and this at 3?

[/quote']

Mind Master's OTK is not due to him but to the field spell... don't remember it's name but i'm going to ban it once I get the name.

Spirit Reaper is a different monster entirely. It has support like allure, and zombie revival cards, it can work on both offense and defense, and all Marshmallon can do is weak burn (let's face it, if you want to splash one of these you're going to be running reaper for sure), and has idk, Honest for support? He is not even close.

I'm going to unlimit Trap Dustshoot as I can't see any reason to justify it at one.

And this one is more archaic than the other ones? What is the logic here?

You say that as if it is inconceivable that two theories must be equal in quality and modernity as long as both fall under the same umbrella. A quick glance at different 3/0 variants proves this false - one school seeks to axiomize everything to explicitly define "broken", another seeks to take 3/0 literally and ban Night Assailant because Limiting him looks inelegant, and another sees the game as purely a war of floaters and their +1's and thus considers Snipe Hunter infinitely weaker than a random floater.

The archaic elements here are rather more subtle than those mad schemes, but as we have shown that the umbrella does not confer equality, this generalizes to prevent the umbrella from necessarily equating even variants that are more similar to each other.

(If by "The other ones" you mean the other lists on this board, incidentally, it isn't. All the other lists here are either archaic or terrible, depending on whether they're decent 3/0 or absolute nonsense.)

I'm not trying to say all 3-0s are created equal; i'm just want you to explain what makes this an archaic 3-0 as opposed whatever version it is that you've been espousing lately.

Tch, the wake of these terrible lists is hardly the time for me to say a whole lot. This must pass first.

However, for probably the most blatant throwback to older 3/0, consider once more the treatment of OTK's.

Despair from the Dark says high. Clearing the field and summoning a few of him is basically game.

How often do you see him though. While it can be done Despair is a bad card that really fails to help Zombies meet their goal' date=' and so is almost never used.

Not really in a dedicated deck (esp. if vayu), you've got 3 MST, Trunade, if you want to get fancy even delta crow anti reverse, plus a lightning vortex (even gives a discard outlet for the two of them) or something, it's feasible especially if you consider the component cards are all very good even outside the OTK.

While on paper it does look easy it isn't as easy in practice. the main time it would be easy is when your already getting close to a time when you can push for game, so the use of Zuki and Vayu won't make much of a difference.

The monster you grab can still use it's effect. Dark Grepher' date=' lightsworns, plenty that can toolbox into very strong combos, and the synchroing is a problem in it's own right. Not because any specific synchro, but because you can get any level 8 you want to fit the situation for minimal effort.

[/quote']

This I'll give you

You have to use a card from your hand in this case' date=' that doesn't show a return on that investment unless you've used it at least twice, which will be hard to do (especially with MST at three in this list), like I said it promotes skilled play and unlike monk actually aids a decktype (monk is splashable in many decks and rejects skilled deckbuilding).

[/quote']

I understand what your getting at with the return of investment (to get a real +1 you need to have gotten the effect twice, otherwise it's the same as something like Book of Life) but after one use you really already did get your full investment cause even if your opponent does destroy in during their turn they just wasted on of their few Spell/Trap removal card. and again your opponent having something to deal with it the turn you use it is circumstantial. And again, i don't see the skill needed in using this. Often times the card you should take of clearly obvious so that any one that has some knowledge of the game will know what to take.

Mind Master's OTK is not due to him but to the field spell... don't remember it's name but i'm going to ban it once I get the name.

You really could ban either' date=' but the reaosn to pick Master over the field is because Brain Research Lab gives more to Psychic then Master. Plus Master can still do the OTK (or in the very least come very close (to lazy to run numbers ATM)) so h is still a problem.

Spirit Reaper is a different monster entirely. It has support like allure, and zombie revival cards, it can work on both offense and defense, and all Marshmallon can do is weak burn (let's face it, if you want to splash one of these you're going to be running reaper for sure), and has idk, Honest for support? He is not even close.

Allure should be banned (which is a different story, one I don't want to get into ATM) and the Zombie revival cards will only be seen in Zombie decks. Also using Reaper to attack is risky since your opponent can then attack it to deal a fair amount of damage.

I'm going to unlimit Trap Dustshoot as I can't see any reason to justify it at one.

Trap Dustshoot works better at 0. While it's only useful at the start of the duel it gives who ever draws into it a huge advantage over his opponent since he not only know their whole hand, but they also take way their most advantageous card.

How often do you see him though. While it can be done Despair is a bad card that really fails to help Zombies meet their goal' date=' and so is almost never used.[/quote']

He would be used in Mezuki OTKs... the thing we were talking about. You hardly see Silverwind being summoned by vayu, and yet he's the only BW synchro that has significantly higher attack than Ryu Kokki. So I think if you agree Vayu is dealing with high attack values, I think you must say, Despair is just as valid.

While on paper it does look easy it isn't as easy in practice. the main time it would be easy is when your already getting close to a time when you can push for game' date=' so the use of Zuki and Vayu won't make much of a difference.[/quote']

Are you kidding, the endgame is one of the most useful times to use Mezuki and Vayu. They really shine when both players are low on resources, as they just generate new advantage from nowhere, with no counter (Vayu's immunity to oppression really drives this one home) in sight. After your opponent destroys all your advantage, is it really right to just get it back without trying?

I understand what your getting at with the return of investment (to get a real +1 you need to have gotten the effect twice' date=' otherwise it's the same as something like Book of Life) but after one use you really already did get your full investment cause even if your opponent does destroy in during their turn they just wasted on of their few Spell/Trap removal card. and again your opponent having something to deal with it the turn you use it is circumstantial. And again, i don't see the skill needed in using this. Often times the card you should take of clearly obvious so that any one that has some knowledge of the game will know what to take.[/quote']

It's easy to destroy because not only spell removal but also monster removal stop it from working. Lyla, Bestiari, cards like those make it quite easy to destroy BWW without loss of advantage. You say it's easy through the lens of a skilled player... most new BW players will get garbage that only helps them on the present turn, while neglecting cards that will assure advantage later on.

You really could ban either' date=' but the reaosn to pick Master over the field is because Brain Research Lab gives more to Psychic then Master. Plus Master can still do the OTK (or in the very least come very close (to lazy to run numbers ATM)) so h is still a problem.[/quote']

I think Brain lab is more unambiguously at fault here... I don't want to continue this argument as it's starting to seem increasingly like just a matter of personal preference.

Allure should be banned (which is a different story' date=' one I don't want to get into ATM) and the Zombie revival cards will only be seen in Zombie decks. Also using Reaper to attack is risky since your opponent can then attack it to deal a fair amount of damage.[/quote']

I disagree completely on allure. In zombie decks is just one more use for reaper, while marshmallon really has no use beyond splashing, which is better served by reaper anyway. Yeah, there's a drawback to attacking with him... but there's a lot of potential benefit as well, you can always just keep him in defense while with Marshmallon, it's your only choice.

Trap Dustshoot works better at 0. While it's only useful at the start of the duel it gives who ever draws into it a huge advantage over his opponent since he not only know their whole hand' date=' but they also take way their most advantageous card.

[/quote']

It can be used turns later on (and at three is not so much of a luck card). I see it more as a way to stop lucky hands from playing too much of a role in the game, and as it takes skill to know which cards will prove the most useful in the future, this is a triumph of skill over luck.

Future Fusion @ 3....Hopeless just became ridiculously top tier. Dumping at least 2 Wyverns and 2 REDRUM has never been easier.

Can I ask what the point of Malicious @ 1 is? Malicious basically doesn't even have an effect at 1 <_<

Metamorphosis @ 3 with Fusilier and Ojama Trio @ 3 = The Rise of Cyber Blader Lock decks as actually valid and competitive

Necroface @ 3 with Gold Sarc @ 3 along with Cyber Valley @ 3 and One for One @ 3= Necromill pretty much is now insanely powerful and ridiculously hard to counter provided they get to go first.

I like what you were trying to do with this list but this list really just creates new problems in the long run. At least that's just the way I see it.

Yeah, I might ban FGD.

That's the point. Mali's broken. I just made him un-broken.

Cyber Blader, am I supposed to care? Seems like a legit decktype to me. None of the cards in that combo are at all broken.

Whereas Sarc at 2, Necro at 2, valley and 141 at 3 was totally dominating the meta, right? Again, I don't see why I should care that some decktypes will dominate, as long as none of the cards in them are broken.

Yeah' date=' I might ban FGD.

That's the point. Mali's broken. I just made him un-broken.

Cyber Blader, am I supposed to care? Seems like a legit decktype to me. None of the cards in that combo are at all broken.

Whereas Sarc at 2, Necro at 2, valley and 141 at 3 was totally dominating the meta, right? Again, I don't see why I should care that some decktypes will dominate, as long as none of the cards in them are broken.

[/quote']

I don't know why I mentioned Cyber Blader really, I just feel like someone will somehow find someway to take advantage of that thing with this list.

Here's the thing about Necroface and Golden Sarc @ 3...it can easily FTK before your opponent even gets a turn if you go first. Allure @ 2, Gold Sarc @ 3, and One for One @ 3 to pull a Cyber Valley gives you enough access to Necroface's effect no matter what it is. All it takes is for one Necroface to go off and target the others in your deck, your opponent loses 15 cards. Play Burial and put those 3 Necroface back in your grave. Play a Soul Release. 15 more cards from your opponent's deck. Play Card Destruction, with only 5 cards in their hand, they now draw the only 5 cards remaining in their deck. Your turn ends and your opponent loses before they can even do anything. This may sound somewhat unrealistic but with One for One to pull Valley, Necroface, and Gold Sarc all at 3 it's far easier to draw into and set-up then you would think. This however is not possible with Necroface @ 2 and with Golden Sarc @ 2 it's nowhere near as reliable. All it really takes is a deck based around this set up.

With just a beginning like this it should in theory allow for a first turn kill

3 Golden Sarcophagus

3 Cyber Valley

3 One for One

3 Toon Table of Contents

1 Toon Cannon Soldier(Allure food if Necro isn't in opening hand or discard food for One for One)

3 Burial from a Different Dimension

3 Soul Release

1 Card Destruction

3 Upstart Goblin

2 Allure of Darkness

This is all hypothetical but still, it's possible to pull off with a proper set-up. Even more possible if stacking comes into play as the only key limited card is Card Destruction. I'm sure someone else could probably explain it a bit clearer as I have little play experience with Necroface but I know that it was Semi-Limited in the first place to prevent things like this from occurring.

Wow a mediocre FTK that required insane luck in milling as well as being anywhere from 4-6 card combo... color me unimpressed. But OK, let's see what you have to offer. Which of the following cards is overpowered?

A. Necroface

B. Gold Sarcophagus

C. Cyber Valley

D. One for One

Find the broken card in the combo, prove it's broken, and i'll ban it.

Wow a mediocre FTK that required insane luck in milling as well as being anywhere from 4-6 card combo... color me unimpressed. But OK' date=' let's see what you have to offer. Which of the following cards is overpowered?

A. Necroface

B. Gold Sarcophagus

C. Cyber Valley

D. One for One

Find the broken card in the combo, prove it's broken, and i'll ban it.

[/quote']

Cyber Valley and One for One are not the problem at all perfectly legit and not the problem at all, it's just a tool like Monk was for Cat. It adds some reliability to an otherwise questionable concept. It's not any one particular card is the problem, it's the interaction between Necroface and Gold Sarc that's the main problem here. 3 Necroface is no well near reliable yet with Gold Sarc you might as well look at Sarc as another chance to draw Necroface in a sense. Essentially the same as how drawing into Monk was basically just drawing into Cat back in the days of Kitty Synchro.

There was the Inferno Tempest OTK with Necroface at 3 as well but you've banned Inferno Tempest(Considering that card has no practical purposes besides OTKs, good call)...it's just the way that Necroface interacts with itself that really bothers me. Stratos and Night Assailant are Limited because of their self-interaction so if any card needs to be taken care of, it's Necroface. Necroface at 2 greatly reduces the speed of Necromill and doesn't allow an FTK no matter what, no matter how inconsistent the FTK looks or appears. Necromill isn't enough of a threat to outright ban Necroface but Semi-Limit does avoid any and all problems involved.

BTW, I'm testing it now to see how consistent this is outside of theory now. I'll report back if it could happen as often as I suspect it could.

Edit: Upon testing it in 5 matches when I went first against myself all 5 times, it doesn't FTK as consistently as I thought in my head though it does consistently finish the opponent by their 2nd to 3rd turn in all 5 matches. Luckily, Card Destruction at 1 is stopping Necromill from FTKing easily on this list but it's still a troublesome deck if we adopted this format.

Archived