A Tournament To Enter. (Lock Plz info gained)

yeah YCM i have a question about tourneys?

where can i go to enter one?

More importantly' date=' Since i know at least half of you have been to one, what should i expect?

[/quote']

Go to hobby shops, Toys R us (during certain events), and of course, card shops.

Expect to be there for over twelve hours. Expect to be beaten brutally, cheated, have your stuff stolen, and be ridiculed. Be friendly and open. Make sure you bring food and water. Make sure you bring a crap load of food. And importantly, you will not have fun there. (If you have a spirit deck that is)

yeah YCM i have a question about tourneys?

where can i go to enter one?

More importantly' date=' Since i know at least half of you have been to one, what should i expect?

[/quote']

Ah, I remember my first tourney. Good times. It was the only tourney I enjoyed. I got free cards.

Anyway enough of this yugioh old timer telling you about the good old days, here's what you would be experiencing:

1) LOTS of guys in groups passing cards to each other looking at you suspiciously

2) A sense of uneasiness as you watch the guys beat someone in 5 seconds

3) I lot of people suddenly being friendly to you, they want to take advantage of you

Soon enough:

4) You try a practice round against someone, your ass gets beat with cards you never even saw before

5) The unnerving fear of being seen as a weakling in the eyes of the pros

6) Some guy selling you something at a "good" price

7) You buying a copy of some staple a guy beat you with

8 ) You register, knowing you'll get beat

When it starts:

9) You meet your competitor, he shuffling skills are remarkable. Alternately, you meet someone of your status who you can relate to, some tension is relieved

10) You play, observing the skill or fail of your competitor

11) You lose, being humiliated inside but shown pity by your competitor who says you were a "challenge". Alternately, you win and feel alive inside, while your competitor of same skill dies inside

12) After several rounds, you grow more hopeless or more confident.

13) Either you win or lose the tourney

After the tourney:

14) You stick back and play some guys who you observed. If you win or lose, it doesn't matter, it's a side duel and the tourney is done

15) You head home, either a happy man or sad man

At home:

16) You notice you were robbed of something, or the judge cheated you. That super special awesome card you bought? Worth nothing.

17) Some people were cruel, some were kind. Some were "friendly". Either way the day was gone, and you would remember them.

18 ) You tuck away the cards you got, holding the memory of your first tourney.

Here's what to expect:

1) About 5 Rounds to determine the finalists

2) 8 hours of your life spend in the facility

3) Cards being thrown like candy

4) Dealers selling cards

5) The pros trying to help you after observing you duel, saying you have potential

6) Guys with card binders filled with holos

7) EXTREME hunger

8 ) Lack of money

9) Lack of good food

10) your stuff stolen (depends on the type of people)

11) Meta decks that own yours. Eg. Diamond Dude Turbo Monarch, Tele-DAD, Volcanic Monarch, Glad Beasts, Lightsworns, Blackwings, Chaos decks.

Advice for first tourney:

1) Start Small. Go to locals or your card shop, you'll find someone

2) Know the value of your cards. Your cards have value, pros know this too and will try to rip you off

3) Find a small group of small guys to hang with, it could also be their first tourney as well

4) Let the pros know your dueling. More than likely, they'll offer to help and give you free cards

5) Pack food. You will run low, pack 2 meals

6) Bring money. About 50 maximum in addition to registration

7) Know your card rulings. This will help the guys to respect you as a fair player

8 ) Be kind. Try to be kind and polite, this reduces the chance of you being hated and get a bad rep. Don't be too kind, however, guys will try to take advantage of you

9) Make sure you know someone at the tourney. This will ensure you have back up if you get in trouble

10) Whether you win or lose, remember, you're doing the thing you love, and you should have had fun in one way or the other.

Hope this helped, it sure didn't help my fingers

Archived