Format Ideas... hmmz hmmz

My younger brother has been bothering me as of late about how he wants to play with Banned Cards, but can't because of the Advanced Format rules, and his friends all don't want to play Traditional because he has the most Banned Cards out of all of them and would kick their a**es up and down the halls.

So, I was thinking, what if you had a Format where players could have 2 Banned cards? Like, Traditional, but the cards that WOULD be Banned can only add up to a quantity of 2. This seems fair to me, but there could be some meta thing that would completely destroy it and make all Decks the same OTK style... so, tell me, 1-3 Banned Cards in a Deck. Call it Secrets Format, say. Would it work?

Also Rose Duels, which I am interested in continuing (they sound awesome. I'm testing the concept now).

Soooooo... feedback?

There's already a perfectly good format available for those who want to play with absurdly broken field nukes and other stupidly overpowered cards. It's called Advanced Format.

In any event, this seems entirely pointless to me. If a card is banworthy, then let it be banned and gone; and if you want to play with banned cards, you may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. The only reason you're even suggesting it in the first place is the situation your brother is in with unequal banned card pools.

There's already a perfectly good format available for those who want to play with absurdly broken field nukes and other stupidly overpowered cards. It's called Advanced Format.

In any event' date=' this seems entirely pointless to me. If a card is banworthy, then let it be banned and gone; and if you want to play with banned cards, you may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. The only reason you're even suggesting it in the first place is the situation your brother is in with unequal banned card pools.

[/quote']

So you're saying card games aren't allowed to appeal to the casuals?

Rather a conceited view, it seems to me...

Guest PikaPerson01

Rather a conceited view' date=' it seems to me...[/quote']

So you're saying card games should be ruined for those who play it at competitive level?

Why not just make up lol rules with it.

1 banned card should be all in this "Secret format".

This would never be offical, but it would be nice to try out. A fun rule with your friends is all it will ever become.

The rose duels i tryed with my friends before a few months before i came on YCM (when i used to be a horrible duelist, now im meh-ish :)), there pretty fun and it was interesting how it worked. We had to change some rules here and there. But it worked rather well.

EVEN ONE BANNED CARD DESTROYS.

IMAGINE POT OF GREED@1 >-____________________________________-<

Terrible' date=' terrible, TERRIBLE idea. They allow this on WC09. l pwn all the time.

[/quote']

Pssh, you'd actually waste your banned card slot on Pot of Greed in a format like this?

In any event' date=' this seems entirely pointless to me. If a card is banworthy, then let it be banned and gone; and if you want to play with banned cards, you may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. The only reason you're even suggesting it in the first place is the situation your brother is in with unequal banned card pools.

[/quote']

I don't remember saying anything of the sort; in fact, I even positively acknowledged the existence of Traditional Format, and if that isn't designed to appeal to the casuals then I don't know what is.

In the end, though, you're not trying to appeal to "the casuals"; you're trying to appeal to a very small subset of "the casuals" that comprises your brother and his friends due to their unusual available forbidden card distribution. And since that's the objective here, why don't your brother and his friends make a house rule allowing one or two banned cards instead of demanding that an entire format be created to satisfy your tiny demand?

[/quote']

I don't remember saying anything of the sort; in fact, I even positively acknowledged the existence of Traditional Format, and if that isn't designed to appeal to the casuals then I don't know what is.

In the end, though, you're not trying to appeal to "the casuals"; you're trying to appeal to a very small subset of "the casuals" that comprises your brother and his friends due to their unusual available forbidden card distribution. And since that's the objective here, why don't your brother and his friends make a house rule allowing one or two banned cards instead of demanding that an entire format be created to satisfy your tiny demand?

wait, I forgot that "casuals" included "collectors"... I thought casuals meant NOT the people who buy cards worth $50 apiece to build a better Deck Engine so that they have a higher chance of winning whatever-the-hell tournament they're playing in. I also assumed that "casuals" DIDN'T include those who would have ALL the best cards.

And if you actually tried to be a little observant, you might notice that I wasn't naive enough to say "TCG should make a third format" because I'm not that much of an idiot. I proposed a Format. A "House Rule" if you will, and I was looking for how quickly the game would break down if this "House Rule" were applied.

I have my answer, no thanks to your whining.

And, when I think about it, isn't this whole site a bunch of "House Rules"? Because the TCG isn't looking over here to find cards, anyways. So, with this new wisdom in mind, I can see that it would take a lot of Deckwork to make an FTK or OTK Deck with only 2 Banned Cards, at least at the level of the kids my brother knows.

As for the "Ridiculously Broken" comments... well, Traditional is ridiculously broken. And in Traditional, the rich kid will win. Thank you for all sympathizing and appealing to the person who might actually be on the level of your average suburban family... I'm really quite disappointed.

Rather a conceited view' date=' it seems to me...[/quote']

So you're saying card games should be ruined for those who play it at competitive level?

OH NO! I'LL RUIN COMPETITIVE PLAY!!!!!

....wait.... Traditional Format hasn't? hmmmmmm, it's almost like you forgot to think this post out...

Traditional is actually a great money equalizer. Because you can make a deck for under $20, and if you go first you win, if you go second you lose. A deck costing several hundred will have the exact same effect, but will hopefully produce a flashier win when it goes off.

In this format you proposed, the same exact effect will happen; it only takes two banned cards to ruin the game if you pick them right.

Archived