(OOC Thread) Broken Eternity; YuGiOh (Started/Accepting)

Found it!

Name: Zeke Walters

Age/Gender: 16/Male

Ability: [color="#A0522D"]Genex Control Circuit: The character can see, and actively interact with Machine Type Duel Spirits, and Monster Spirits, going as far as to have conversations and poke each other! [/color]

Appearance: A sad-looking fellow. He wears a light grey t-shirt, and ragged, dirty jeans. Has a brown backpack, filled with what appears to be junk. Hair the color of soot, and steely blue eyes... He's very tall and well-built. Always has a melancholy demeanor, and doesn't look like he ever took some time to really enjoy life.

Duel Disk: Useless to him, but so many people want to own one, for some odd reason...

Bio/Backstory: Zeke's about as emotionally distant as someone could be. He doesn't talk too much, and always seems to be thinking about just work. He doesn't do anything that won't increase his chances of survival, except tinkering around with junk. He's very good with his hands, and in another world, he would probably be an engineer. He's having second thoughts on this whole "freedom fighter" thing, but he [u]wants[/u] to fight, and he's not sure exactly why.

Zeke had no mother to raise him, she died during his birth. His father always blamed him for it, and was... abusive... to his son. Zeke ran away at age 12, broken and alone. For the first two years, he wandered around the world, picking up junk, modifying them into now-scarce items (water filters, heatstoves, etc.) and trading them for food. At age 14, he joined the Federation, mostly so he had more people to sell his wares to. After they collapsed, he still wanders, but the Duelist Federation implanted some ideas into his head...

He does want to fight, yes, but every night, when he mulls it over in his head, he just doesn't see the personal gain for himself. He's thinking he might want to actually help someone that ISN'T him... just because.

Power Deciding Factors: Also TBA

Other: Hit him normally, and you'll break your fist. Hit him emotionally...

Social Association: Duelist Federation, legally. Only himself in his mind...

Duel Spirit: Genex Controller. He's actually fairly hyper and talkative, and most people choose to talk to him instead of Zeke. They don't mind.

Handling Type: Machine/DARK

Nature: The closest to true neutral someone could be. Every time he weighs a situation, he only thinks, "How does this help me?" This just makes this whole "incentive to fight" thing really weird for him.

Sorry I couldn't put more on the bio section, but... yeah, I don't think you really need more...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for falling off the face of the world. Work is just really intense this week. I got a bunch of super late shifts ;)

The Handling type of a person DOES count as their "Monster Type" for the purpose of card effects and such. So all of you "Machine" handlers look out for that System Down spell card! One thing is that people are not monsters or spirits. So in the event that something destroys everyone "Type" on your field, you ould not be destroyed along with it, since you are not a monster. It would reduce your comparable ATK/DEF to 0, though, since there's nothing closer to being destroyed than being helpless!

Certain equip cards that can only be equiped to certain monsters for the purpose of humans using them can only be used by a correct handler. Meaning the Spellcaster/LIGHT person couldn't use a Fusion Sword Murasame blade, since it can only be equipped to warriors.

Wait... So does that mean my character can be used as a Dragon-type for cards such as Stamping Destruction or Dragon's Gunfire? It seems more likely that I would only benefit from Equip Spells and Fields, possibly with a couple of continuous cards like Dragon's Rage.

As a side note, now that it's the weekend, I hope we pick up some speed. It feels like every time a question gets answered about the rules, another gets asked. For now, UnownGuy needs a power, and we have yet another question taking a number.

Okay, Lex seems to be missing right now, so I'm going to summarize everything I know for everyone's reference.

Field areas:
Hand: All the cards you carry with you. Synonymous with Deck.
Deck: See Hand.
Field: Everything in play. Works just like the card game, except the cards are real.
Graveyard: Stuff sent here are gone, though not sure about the mechanics of it. Monster reborn can collect monster essence from here to save (though Monster Reincarnation probably works better thematically)
Extra Deck: Doesn't exist. Fusions and Synchros are spontaneously created when you use the correct cards, and then can be summoned from the hand, I believe.
RFP: The end of existence, Was hoping for some parallel-dimension hijinks, but this is merely the void. D.D. cards don't exist (?)
Life Points: Undefined.
Turn: Undefined.
Phases: Undefined.

Humans can only summon cards that share a type or attribute with them. Effect monsters must share both. How combat is handled is currently undefined.
Humans count as monsters with 400 ATK and 400 DEF of their associated Type and Attribute(what level?), and gain all the perks involved. They all have an effect like this if I am reading it correctly, irregardless of any other powers given.
- [i]If this card would be sent to the graveyard except by battle, this card's original ATK and DEF become 0 instead.[/i]

Humans can Bond with normal monster they share type and attribute with, increasing their ATK and DEF. They can also participate in fusions and synchro summoning, but it's generally a bad thing for those wanting to keep the worlds seperate, although the power gain is tempting.

Monsters, and any spells/traps that stay on the field do so until... something happens. This includes Equips, and continuous cards. Presumably these things return to card form after the battle.

And that's it. Generally 'undefined' things are no good, as they make some cards become 'undefined'. How does the healing and hurting of Poison of the old man work? Are gellenduos effectively invincible? How long does swords of revealing light stick around? What does Solomon's lawbook skip? When do LV monsters level up? What in the world does Wave-Motion cannon even [i]do[/i]?

...hopefully, this helps in deciding what needs to be answered.

Im not missing, just on a really crappy string of Matinence shifts. Be patient with me and my work and You'll get a free Fake Big Mac! *Works at McDonalds*

ANYWAY! Work will go back to its old set up soon, one of the other mait. guys took his vacation this week, so i had a 40-hour all-overnight week. Wooot!

Thank you for the assist, Encapturer! I'll fix a couple of those you mezz'd up on, but good ob on the lot of it! ;)

Edit/Addendum: Oh! The Character themselves, being a human, CANOT be used as a component for a spell card, since they are not a spirit/monster. They can attack and fight all the same, but they CANNOT be the proponent of a card that says something like "Play only when you have a [???] on the field. You are not on your field, nor are you a monster.

[i]RFP: The end of existence, Was hoping for some parallel-dimension hijinks, but this is merely the void. D.D. cards don't exist (?)[/i]
D.D. cards DO exist, but like the headline says, getting removed from play is the end. Void of doom. Bad. Dont remove yourself from play.

[b]Life Points[/b]: Life points are your DEF. Humans are always considered to be in DEF mode. When a human is hit, their DEF goes down by that amount. If a human is destroyed by battle, they're dead. If a card effect would destroy or remove a human from the field, instead they just get super weak. Otherwise lightning vortex would be bad...

Turn: Like a normal turn, but with action and flashy text. Im thinking we'll have cues for when the turn and phases end, like *Zomg, Flashy action dodge here -[Cue End Phase]-*
Phases: See above

That many late shifts? Makes me sorta glad I don't have a job quite yet. Just tell me you'll have time this week.

But hooray for rules clarifications! Now I'm glad that my Duel Spirit is still a Dragon-type for those cards (if I even get them...). Then again, throwing Delta Flyer into combat is probably a bad idea... Meh. I'll find something to do once we start, depending on what cards we all get.

Combat Mechanics!

With the addition of humans, a a few Monster-Generals(Explained later), combat gets sort of Weird! Below will be an explanation.

[b]Combat[/b]: It is no longer "dueling", as death is a very real thing, now. Thus, Duelists, and Dueling have been renamed Handlers and Combat, respectively. Combat is battle between two opponents, most often a human and a monster or Monster-General. There is still a generalized "Field" that Monsters and Monster-Generals are bound to, and humans do not have the power to exceed. This is the traditional field we are all familiar with:

[spoiler='Traditional Field']
Field Card Zone [1]

Monster Card Zones [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
Spell and Trap Card Zones [1] [2] [3] [4] [5][/spoiler]

With the addition of Humans and Monster-Generals, the field gains some new slots pertaining to those individuals only. These are slots for equip spell cards and certain continuous and field spell cards:

[spoiler='Personal Field']Aura [1] [2]
Equipment [1L] [2R][/spoiler]

The culmination of these fields looks something like this:
----------[F]-------------
[M1] [M2] [M3] [M4] [M5] \__[i]Traditional Field[/i]
[S1] [S2] [S3] [S4] [S5] /
[A1] [E-L] [H/G] [E-R] [A2] >-- [i]Personal Field[/i]

[b][F][/b] - Field Spell. The Field includes The Handler/General, and they are in turn affected by the field spell.

[b]M[/b] - Summoned Monsters. Just like in a normal duel, these monsters must be destroyed before the [H]andler or [G]eneral can be selected as an attack target, and are useful for plowing through the other monsters and Handler/Generals without endangering the controller. things are pretty Normal for Monsters, and combat is calculated normally.

[b]S[/b] - Spells and traps go here if they affect monsters and your field. For example, if you wanted to equip an equip spell card to your monster, and not you, it would take up this zone. Continous spell cards, and quick play spells card traps also go here, if they pertain to the Traditional Field, and not the Personal Field.

[b]A[/b] - Auras are continuous spell cards, and Field Spell Cards that are used to affect ONLY the personal field. These effects are limited in use, and will not affect monsters on the traditional field. The Continous Spell Card "Banner of Courage" would not be limited and would affect you as the card is listed. "Forgotten Temple of the Deep" on the other hand, would not have its effect "While this card is face-up on the field its name is treated as Umi" effect applied to your monsters, because it is "not on The Field".

[b]E[/b] - Equip spells equipped to the Handler/General, on their Left and Right arms usually. Watch out! Some Monster-Generals have more than two personal equipment slots!

[b]Handler[/b]: A Human born with the gift of playing card games. Seriously, there is very little special about Handlers. 90% of the people below the age of 20 are handlers. Handling is easy, and puts not extra strain on the body. Handling is the act of summoning monsters from Duel Monster trading cards, and evoking very real effects from them. In present day, most Handlers fight against the Monster Lords who control the Monsters terrorizing the human population. Beyond being able to use the cards to devastating effects, all Handlers have a spiritual "Partner" of sorts that has no effect on their lives beyond simply being there. A Handler most often can only see and communicate with their partners, and visa-verse.

[b]Monster Generals[/b]: Much like a Handler in the way that they can bring cards' effects into reality. The major difference between a Monster General, and a regular monster, is that a Monster General has a Traditional Field they can manipulate, as opposed to monsters, who cannot utilize a Traditional Field. Most Monster-Generals are powerful leaders and "generals" of the Monster's Army, and should be avoided more often than not.
[b]
Handler/general Combat[/b]: When there are no monsters on their field, or even when there are, a Handler/General may engage in combat against other Handler/Generals, or monsters. For this purpose, Handlers are the equivalent of a 400 ATK/DEF Normal monster of their Handling Type, while Generals are just as their Card states. They cannot be destroyed by card effects, or "Removed from the field". If destroyed by battle, they Die, and do not "Go to the graveyard". "Life Points" are equal to the Handler/General's DEF points, and battle damage to them reduce their DEF by the ATK amount, until they rest/heal, or they reach zero (die). If a Handler/General's Life Points reach zero, their body either shuts down due to shock, or they die(In the case of lethal damage). "Destroy" effects reduce their ATK/DEF to 0, but do not kill them. Effects that "return them to the hand" or "remove them from the field/play" for any other reason simply fizzle, and down work on them. Cards that increase life points are temporary, just as if you were fighting in separate duels, and they increase DEF. Finally, a Handler/General, if attacked, is considered to be in Defense position at all times, and the controller of a monster who battlers a Handler/General with a Higher DEF does not take battle damage.

We are at the five-character Mark! Meaning its time to get this ball rolling. Lets all do our best and make it an interesting read for ourselves, and people who're wondering if they want to join it. The first few battles and such will be awkward due to the freshness of it all. Good Luck Team!

I'm still not sure how Dylan was supposed to meet me anyways. He got the message first, and he barely did anything after receiving it. Meanwhile, I had that whole conversation, and still met him at his door, which is on my character's way to Kaiba and Pegasus...

Say, where are they? An office, a throne room, a... convention hall? If nobody else is posting, I might as well. I don't know what Lex has in mind...

:( shameface

OK, I admit. I've been lazy. I managed to think up an excuse for my character not being there for a stretch of posts, but... I can't really describe my own feelings about this. Seriously, I've been keeping this thread and the RP on open tabs since it started, and staying up to date on it. I guess I just got carried away playing online games. :mellow:

And this entire post was written to get the weight off my chest.

I apologize for the delays recently. I thought I was just distracted, but as it turns out, I've got writer's block right now. And thanks to a disorder I have, this makes it hard to write even a one- or two-paragraph post on a forum. Oddly, I don't have any problems writing in OOC. Maybe it's because I consider this post to be more like speaking than writing... But I'm not a psychologist. I'll stop there. :x

Archived