Local's Report

Went w/ my friend Dexter. Last time I came I went 5-1 in round robin, but failed epically in DEs. This time, I would not repeat that mistake. Running GBs.

vs. Mouse (Awful LS)

Round 1: Ayayai! This guy fails harder than you could believe. With moves like Charge into Jenis, tributing for Celest and deciding not to activate the effect, for no reason, and apparently running 0 JD. All we did pretty much was he'd summon a Garoth, or set and Aurkus, and i'd destroy it. Rinse and repeat.

Round 2: Same, but this time he summons some Jains as well, which are destroyed just as easily.

vs. Some kid (Relinquished Spam)

Round 1: He has one move that annoys me all day, tributing my monsters w/ Lava Golem and then snatching it with Relinquished. He even took out a Heraklinos this was. Unfortunately he can't capitalize on it because I just D-Prison him or bounce him whenever he attacks. So, he ultimately runs out of cards while I don't.

Round 2: I don't think this kid understands the game very well, he avoided tons of great opportunities. I have five set traps, with no starlight, and he doesn't clear them with a spell that can destroy all set cards by destroying an equip card. Basically, he loses because of that, I have answers for everything he does.

vs. Rawland (Bad Zombies)

Round 1: He has no Plague, but insists his deck is faster without synchros (everyone in earshot lols at this). I tell him he's wrong, and proceed to completely kick his ass to prove it. He says he had dead draws that prevented him from showing me his full potential, which makes me lol because he only had those dead draws due to his awful build in the first place.

Round 2: What can I say? I don't even need to side because my deck is already more than enough to deal with his. He can't do anything to me.

vs. A guy using Empty Jar

Round 1: This is the troll version w/ Jar #2s, not the OTK version, which makes me happy. Basically he draws complete crap, and when he tries to flip Jar I solemn warning, and he can't do anything.

Round 2: I play double prohibition on Jars #1 and 2, and he can't do anything because they're sitting in his hand. Also, he has the habit of using card destruction, invariably getting me a better hand than i'd had before. He tries to stall me, but continually using Gyzarus and Bestiari wears him away until he has no cards left.

vs. Dexter (Scraps)

Round 1: I draw alright, but he draws great. Every time I try to summon he has a bottomless, Prison, etc, I can't keep a monster on the field, while his scraps just keep gaining him advantage. I end up w/ a test tiger and two dead chariots, which he BRDs and then goes for game. I lost this one. I'm also worried because my side deck had absolutely nothing for scraps, while he had a 7 card side for GBs.

Round 2: He sees his side, and I get hit by Chivalry twice. Unfortunately he can't do anything, because I keep RFPing the scraps in his graveyard, and this time I have traps to prevent him from getting field presence instead of the other way around. So eventually I get monsters and win.

Round 3: I summon besti and have a chariot down, + torrential. So I feel OK. He summons beast, mind controls, and makes Stardust, then gets some miscellaneous scraps out. But, I summon a GB, use TT, he tries to stardust and I chariot. Then shortly afterward, I get Rai-Oh and Heraklinos, + reborn his Stardust, and win quickly.

Top 16: Rawland again (Bad Zombies)

Round 1: He actually does pretty good this time... at one point, he gets double il blud, zombie master, pyramid turtle, and vampire lord at the same time... only to run into my hoplomus and be incapable of getting over it. I tag into darius, into besti, make gyzarus and summon prisma, wiping his whole field and going in for game.

Round 2: This one was lulzy. I summon a GB, and for the rest of the duel this will be my only monster as I set five traps. He summons, I bottomless, and attack. He summons, I bottomless and attack. He summons, I solemn warning and attack. He summons, I compulse and attack. then compulse again. He [i]literally[/i] couldn't get a monster on the field. He also thought that Goblin Zombie worked like Dandylion, and would trigger if he discarded it. I have no idea how he had a good enough record to make it into DEs.

Top 8: someone (Infernities)

Round 1: He apparently has monsters in his hand that he can't get rid of, because he keeps normal summoning Archfiend only to have him destroyed, then RFPed w/ Retiari. He also tried using call, forgetting that even when SSd, Archfiend still requires an empty hand.

Round 2: I side in 3x Consecrated. He does everything he can to destroy them, but I reborn one, then when he finally destroys it I just normal a second (3x summons of them in all). Basically he can't do much because he's almost never able to summon the whole game, and the one time he does get a synchro I just D-Prison it.

Top 4: Brian (Blackwings)

Round 1: This guy's considered the best player in the shop, but he was definitely off his A-Game for this round. I solemn his oppression on my Gyzarus, and he tries to activate solemn warning, before he realizes he missed the timing. And now that I know it's there, I just target it w/ Gyz's effect. Basically mistakes like this compound and he loses.

Round 2: I get consecrateds that I sided, but he goes first and opens w/ BWW. For a while it looks like it's going to be a replay of r-2 vs Infernities, but through a combination of torrential, icarus, and dark hole I lose all my consecrateds and GBs, and he just barely pushes through w/ enough damage to win.

Round 3: I keep summoning Consecrated, at first he can deal with it but eventually he runs out of cards that he can use. I start summoning Rai-Ohs and pecking with them over and over. He tries to use BWW, then duality, realizing too late for both that Rai-Oh stops them.

Finals: Dexter and me, we split it.

I went 8-0, though only a few of the matches were against meta decks which prevented me from taking much pride in my win. I've heard it said that Rai-Oh is bad in GBs because he takes a normal summon, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to completely disagree, I got wins constantly that were more or less attributable to his no-searching effect, and 1900 ATK made him a good beatstick that also dodged oppression. This was my build:

[Spoiler=My deck]
Monsters: 17

3x Rai-Oh
2x Test Tiger
2x Equeste
2x Darius
2x Laquari
1x Retiari
1x Murmillo
1x Bestiari
1x Hoplomus
1x Samnite
1x Prisma

Spells: 8

3x Book of Moon
2x MST
1x Proving Ground
1x Dark Hole
1x Reborn

Traps: 15

2x War Chariot
2x Bottomless
2x D-Prison
2x Compulsory
2x Trap Stun
1x Warning
1x Judgment
1x Mirror Force
1x Torrential
1x Starlight[/spoiler]

[quote name='GenzoTheHarpist' timestamp='1287284919' post='4711184']
Went w/ my friend Dexter. Last time I came I went 5-1 in round robin, but failed epically in DEs. This time, I would not repeat that mistake. Running GBs.

vs. Mouse (Awful LS)

Round 1: Ayayai! This guy fails harder than you could believe. With moves like Charge into Jenis, tributing for Celest and deciding not to activate the effect, for no reason, and apparently running 0 JD. All we did pretty much was he'd summon a Garoth, or set and Aurkus, and i'd destroy it. Rinse and repeat.

Round 2: Same, but this time he summons some Jains as well, which are destroyed just as easily.

vs. Some kid (Relinquished Spam)

Round 1: He has one move that annoys me all day, tributing my monsters w/ Lava Golem and then snatching it with Relinquished. He even took out a Heraklinos this was. Unfortunately he can't capitalize on it because I just D-Prison him or bounce him whenever he attacks. So, he ultimately runs out of cards while I don't.

Round 2: I don't think this kid understands the game very well, he avoided tons of great opportunities. I have five set traps, with no starlight, and he doesn't clear them with a spell that can destroy all set cards by destroying an equip card. Basically, he loses because of that, I have answers for everything he does.
[size="4"]
[font="Arial Black"]Haha, Release Restraint Wave. He asked me to fix up his deck before the tourney started, and that was one of the things I told him to put in. Apparently it didn't serve him well.[/font][/size]

vs. Rawland (Bad Zombies)

Round 1: He has no Plague, but insists his deck is faster without synchros (everyone in earshot lols at this). I tell him he's wrong, and proceed to completely kick his ass to prove it. He says he had dead draws that prevented him from showing me his full potential, which makes me lol because he only had those dead draws due to his awful build in the first place.

Round 2: What can I say? I don't even need to side because my deck is already more than enough to deal with his. He can't do anything to me.

vs. A guy using Empty Jar

Round 1: This is the troll version w/ Jar #2s, not the OTK version, which makes me happy. Basically he draws complete crap, and when he tries to flip Jar I solemn warning, and he can't do anything.

Round 2: I play double prohibition on Jars #1 and 2, and he can't do anything because they're sitting in his hand. Also, he has the habit of using card destruction, invariably getting me a better hand than i'd had before. He tries to stall me, but continually using Gyzarus and Bestiari wears him away until he has no cards left.

vs. Dexter (Scraps)

Round 1: I draw alright, but he draws great. Every time I try to summon he has a bottomless, Prison, etc, I can't keep a monster on the field, while his scraps just keep gaining him advantage. I end up w/ a test tiger and two dead chariots, which he BRDs and then goes for game. I lost this one. I'm also worried because my side deck had absolutely nothing for scraps, while he had a 7 card side for GBs.

Round 2: He sees his side, and I get hit by Chivalry twice. Unfortunately he can't do anything, because I keep RFPing the scraps in his graveyard, and this time I have traps to prevent him from getting field presence instead of the other way around. So eventually I get monsters and win.

Round 3: I summon besti and have a chariot down, + torrential. So I feel OK. He summons beast, mind controls, and makes Stardust, then gets some miscellaneous scraps out. But, I summon a GB, use TT, he tries to stardust and I chariot. Then shortly afterward, I get Rai-Oh and Heraklinos, + reborn his Stardust, and win quickly.
[size="4"][font="Arial Black"]
That damn Herk was what won you the last two matches. It really had a way of screwing me over. Once you got it out I pretty much had no chance, seeing the you laid down a Chariot and I couldn't even get Scrap Dragon out. I actually sided in 5 cards: 3 Wraths and 2 Chivalrys.[/font][/size]

Top 16: Rawland again (Bad Zombies)

Round 1: He actually does pretty good this time... at one point, he gets double il blud, zombie master, pyramid turtle, and vampire lord at the same time... only to run into my hoplomus and be incapable of getting over it. I tag into darius, into besti, make gyzarus and summon prisma, wiping his whole field and going in for game.

Round 2: This one was lulzy. I summon a GB, and for the rest of the duel this will be my only monster as I set five traps. He summons, I bottomless, and attack. He summons, I bottomless and attack. He summons, I solemn warning and attack. He summons, I compulse and attack. then compulse again. He [i]literally[/i] couldn't get a monster on the field. He also thought that Goblin Zombie worked like Dandylion, and would trigger if he discarded it. I have no idea how he had a good enough record to make it into DEs.

Top 8: someone (Infernities)

Round 1: He apparently has monsters in his hand that he can't get rid of, because he keeps normal summoning Archfiend only to have him destroyed, then RFPed w/ Retiari. He also tried using call, forgetting that even when SSd, Archfiend still requires an empty hand.

Round 2: I side in 3x Consecrated. He does everything he can to destroy them, but I reborn one, then when he finally destroys it I just normal a second (3x summons of them in all). Basically he can't do much because he's almost never able to summon the whole game, and the one time he does get a synchro I just D-Prison it.

Top 4: Brian (Blackwings)

Round 1: This guy's considered the best player in the shop, but he was definitely off his A-Game for this round. I solemn his oppression on my Gyzarus, and he tries to activate solemn warning, before he realizes he missed the timing. And now that I know it's there, I just target it w/ Gyz's effect. Basically mistakes like this compound and he loses.

Round 2: I get consecrateds that I sided, but he goes first and opens w/ BWW. For a while it looks like it's going to be a replay of r-2 vs Infernities, but through a combination of torrential, icarus, and dark hole I lose all my consecrateds and GBs, and he just barely pushes through w/ enough damage to win.

Round 3: I keep summoning Consecrated, at first he can deal with it but eventually he runs out of cards that he can use. I start summoning Rai-Ohs and pecking with them over and over. He tries to use BWW, then duality, realizing too late for both that Rai-Oh stops them.

Finals: Dexter and me, we split it.

I went 8-0, though only a few of the matches were against meta decks which prevented me from taking much pride in my win. I've heard it said that Rai-Oh is bad in GBs because he takes a normal summon, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to completely disagree, I got wins constantly that were more or less attributable to his no-searching effect, and 1900 ATK made him a good beatstick that also dodged oppression. This was my build:

[Spoiler=My deck]
Monsters: 17

3x Rai-Oh
2x Test Tiger
2x Equeste
2x Darius
2x Laquari
1x Retiari
1x Murmillo
1x Bestiari
1x Hoplomus
1x Samnite
1x Prisma

Spells: 8

3x Book of Moon
2x MST
1x Proving Ground
1x Dark Hole
1x Reborn

Traps: 15

2x War Chariot
2x Bottomless
2x D-Prison
2x Compulsory
2x Trap Stun
1x Warning
1x Judgment
1x Mirror Force
1x Torrential
1x Starlight[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Good going with the 8-0. Here in England we don't have Locals, so I'll just list the metagame in my school.

1x Dragons
1x Exodia Stall
1x Quickdraw
1x Harpies (me)
2x Zombies (one of which is mine)
1x Machina Gadgets (the best deck in the school, guy who runs it wins every time)
1x Endymion
1x Macro Cosmos
1x X-Sabers

My Zombies, Quickdraw, Machina and X-Sabers dominate.

The guys playing Infernity and Blackwing were also really tough, I just happened to draw into my side every duel. But yeah, I was really surprised. I have no idea how all these scrubs ended up w/ x-0 records to face me in Swiss, considering that there were TONS of people at locals running tier 1 and 2 decks... somehow, I just didn't get paired against any of them.

[quote name='Fable' timestamp='1287335582' post='4712327']
we have locals in england, noob.
[/quote]

I checked Konami's database a while back and the only London-based event I could find was a Sneak Peek. I haven't even heard of a Locals event in London and I highly doubt my parents would let me go anyway (they wouldn't let me out to the Sneak Peek, which was in Euston).

Archived