{WIP}How to create an AMV {Fully extensive guide + Vegas tips/help/advice

Scanty&Kneesocks

[size="3"][color=red]Version 0.28 - Updated January 12th 2:17AM EST[/color][/size]

[center][size="5"][b]Introduction[/b][/size][/center]
Welcome to the full-length featured guide on creating an AMV or Anime Music Video. If this is not what you were expecting feel free to stick around and maybe this might interest you. If not; simply leave or proof-read my writing because I'm a terrible work and you would be awesome :P(you probably wouldn't I know...) The following guide will go through a number things you will need to know to make or better your AMV making career; such as how to create a concept, what programs should be used, where to find footage, general idea on how to edit, a more in-depth theory on editing, and an in-depth theory on how to use Sony Vegas(one of the optional choices of editing.), how to fine-tune your footage for better quality, how to encode and compress videos, and where to upload. Man I know, this is going to be a big guide. I am not going to lie to you. IT IS! And if you truly want to make the best AMV you can and are willing to read walls of text(and pictures and videos once I get them up.) Than this guide is for you, if you just want to make an AMV meh simply skim this guide like you do your notes the day before the test.

[center][size="5"][b]Table of Contents[/b][/size][/center]
[b]I. Introduction[/b]

[b]II. Table of Contents[/b]

[b]III. What is an AMV?[/b]

[b]IV. What do I need to make an AMV?[/b]

[b]V. The Conception[/b]
[i]Concept[/i]
[i]Story[/i]
[i]Sync[/i]
[i]Mood[/i]
[i]Character Profile[/i]
[i]Genres[/i]

[b]VI. Shopping time (Getting your footage)[/b]

[b]??. Creating the Perfect Editing Footage[/b]
[i]AviSynth[/i]

[center][size="5"][b]What is an AMV?[/b][/size][/center]

What is an AMV you ask! Wait you know...That's why you're here...[b]*Ignoring*.[/b] An AMV is an Anime Music Video; A video comprised of the two main elements. [b]A Song[/b] and an [b]Anime[/b]. They are edited together to tell a story, to evoke emotions, to make you want to dance, to entice you to check out an anime or a song, to create parodies, or simply to create awesome action montages. There are so much you can do with AMV's there is no wonder your exuberant to learn as much as I am excited to teach. None-the-less before you can can create one there are a few things you need to know.

[center][size="5"][b]What do I need to make an AMV?[/b][/size][/center]

Well as I stated the two most important element of an AMV are the song and anime also known simply as footage. However there is something that is much more important. The editing suite, how are you going to create an AMV without anything to edit? To be honest your choices are very limited.

[size="3"][b]Editing Suites[/b][/size]

[b]Name:[/b] Window Movie Maker
[b]OS:[/b] Windows
[b]Price:[/b] 0$
[b]Pros:[/b] + Free
[b]Cons:[/b] + Everything else
[b]Comment:[/b] If you're running windows chances are you have access to WMM or are capable of downloading it from microsoft for free. The problem? Everything. This is a very very primitive editing suite. I don't mean primitive as in GIMP; that's free-ware love. I mean primitive as in it is a useless programs. A number of things wrong with it includes
- Very terrible import feature
- Very terrible interface
- Prone to crashing
- Limited to effects, transitions, and plugins
- Slow and takes up a lot of resources
- Prone to crashing..More
- Pin-Point editing is impossible
- Annoying Exporting system
- Did I mention prone to crashing?

Not saying it's impossible to make good AMVs. I've seen good WMM AMV's and I might post 1 or 2 here later for reference. Just remember don't expect much because you're pretty much trying to catch a fish with you bare hand, if you finally do it people will be happy but you'll probably be tired and annoyed and want to punch a fish in the throat....Not a good analogy? Moving on...

[b]Name:[/b] iMovies
[b]OS:[/b] Macs
[b]Price:[/b] 0$
[b]Pros:[/b]
+ Free
+ Better than WMM.
[b]Cons:[/b]
- Rendering issues
- Annoying interface
- Limited usability
[b]Comment:[/b] Yes, the famous program that make every mac enthusiast go "hur hur hur, mac is better; we can make movies better than you!". Technically true, you can make videos better than us off the box. However if you have money(or know some sites...) Windows will generally have more suites to choose from as compared to Macs. About the iMovies itself, I have only used it 5 times in my life and everything else is from he-say but don't expect the love you're looking for. Despite it being less crashed prone and more resourceful than Window Movie Makers. The lack of options, annoying interface, and rendering issues(MY GOD THE RENDERING). This is something less desired, but hey; better than WMM.

[b]Name:[/b] Magix Movie Edit Pro
[b]Price:[/b] 40-60$
+ Good amount of effects
+ Low price
+ Capable of editing more specific(by keyframes like every program should! WMM and iMovies that mean you!)
- Using effects shouldn't be so daunting as it is
- If you become fan of Chroma-keying expect to be jipped by one of the worst chroma-keying effect feature in a program.
[b]Comment:[/b] If you're on a budget, instead of buying the newest copy of that game you know is identical to last 48 variation. Why not simply buy this program instead? It's a good program and it'll get you far and you'll be set for a while. It may not be the best around it's price range so if you're willing to spend a few extra bucks than try out the next suite I post.

[b]Name:[/b] Adobe Premiere Elements
[b]OS:[/b] Both
[b]Price:[/b] 100$ [60$ for now, due to sale]
+ Excellent learning step if you plan to jump on Adobe Premiere Pro later(Arguably the best editing suite)
+ Wide variety of effects including excellent titling and chroma key features.
+ Best program for it's price and even more.
- slightly costly for some.
- Pretty high learning curve
[b]Comment:[/b] Premiere Pro's little sister, the element. I haven't personally ever edited on this but almost everyone I've talked to has praised this program for the above reason. Also since the interface is set up like Premiere Pro you're pretty much learning to use the best. The best for the best. So if you have a little extra money and don't wanna go higher get this(especially since it's on sale).

[b]Name:[/b] Sony Vegas Pro
[b]Price:[/b] 400-600$ (ouch)
+ Stable
+ Amazing amount of effects and transitions and plugins
+ Excellent rendering and beautiful output
+ Excellent DVD authoring features (if you rip from dvds)
+ It's awesome; completely not biased.
- Very daunting interface
- Yeah I heard the noise you made when you read the price. It's expensive (but worth it)
- Backlight support would be nice, but you most likely won't use it anyways when making AMVs.
- Doesn't hold a candle to Adobe Premiere Pro but completely capable and will pretty much keep you set for..Well ever.
[b]Comment:[/b] I'm gonna keep this brief because I'm biased. Sony Vegas Pro is amazing, before it was great(Sony Vegas Movie Studios) but now it's competing with Adobe. Of course they have long ways to go but they're getting there. Of course yeah it's expensive but...You haven't seen premiere pro yet.

[b]Name:[/b] Adobe Premiere Pro +Optional: Adobe After Effects
[b]OS:[/b] Both
[b]Price:[/b] 700-1,700$[for after effects] (The tears; they are delicious)
+ Effects? HAH! OUR EFFECTS WILL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!
+ Features? OUR FEATURES WILL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!
+ HAH! WE-..Don't have that; oh wait! I have After Effects so I can just code or get a plugin for it :V.
+ HA-Ok you get it. It's [b]THAT.[/b] [color=red][b]GOOD![/b][/color]
- Price
- PowerPC macs cannot use Premiere Pro. Sorry.
- Terrifying interface
[b]Comment:[/b] I don't need to comment. It's what it is, amazing. If you have the money, get it no exception. Only exception is if the interface is complicated step down to vegas and so on.

Wrapping up, low ends to have a lot of choices. However if you have the money you have tons of choices(I didn't really touch on products I never used or heard of) but there is at least 10 more I haven't mentioned. So if you have money to spare or really passionate about editing try to go for the best you can.(Or if you know certain places on the internet that you can get it for free...But let's not go there.)

Now about footage and at the same time, concept.

[size="5"][center][b]The Conception[/b][/center][/size]

Now that you have your editing program before you can jump in, you need to make a concept of what your AMV is going to be about and this next section I will leave it to Godix because his guide on the concept of AMV's will always surpass mine.

[quote=Godix_AMV.org]
Fundamental concept is what is the basic idea behind the video. In some cases it's to tell a story, in others it's to enhance mood, still others may be to try an effect or editing trick. The major aspect of concept is how you want your audience to view the video. Editing can take a long time and it's easy to get so involved with tiny details that you forget the overall design. If you've ever seen a drama video that had slapstick comedy footage in it then that is probably someone who made this mistake. So you should decide right at the start if you want your audience to laugh at your comedy, cry with your drama, feel their pulse race with action, etc. Keep that core idea in mind for all other decisions with your video.
[/quote]

^
|
Pretty much this. If you found a song that is particularly sad and you wish to make an AMV of it. You'll most likely choose a sad anime or an anime with a character who had a very sad past or life. Throwing random action scenes during a sentimental portion of a song is just going to make people question your video, no matter how perfectly edited it is. Of course if you also choose an anime that is 100% happy good luck editing a sad song to it.

EXAMPLE: K-on + Linkin Park - Numb = Wut???.

So to recap, before you start you need to make a concept.
What song are you going to use?
What anime are you going to use?
What genre are you going for?
How do you want your audience to feel?

[size="3"][i]Story Videos[/i][/size]

One type of AMV is a story driven AMV, and in general most AMVs will follow this no matter what genre they're trying to follow(of course with exceptions). There are two types of story driven AMVs. [b]An AMV that is driven by the story of the series itself[/b]. Good example is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_o2NyKfdjY]You Fight Me by SapphireStar26[/url] using the anime Ga-Rei: Zero, never heard of it? Well the video's a good synopsis. That is what I mean. Of course the story doesn't have to be about the show itself but can be for a specific character or characters. The next one is [b]an AMV that creates a new story out of the source material given.[/b] Infinitely more difficult, creative, and enjoyable to watch. Since it puts a new spin on an old story and if you know the series it makes you go "Wow! How'd he do that." or "Man that would of been interesting if it was like that." A really good example would be [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-9iuwYSSI]Whisper of the Beast by Skorpion Unlimited[/url], a very old Naruto video(2004) that pretty much was a shock and awe and still is till this day.

[size="3"][i]Sync Videos[/i][/size]
Our next type of AMVs are sync driven, and I mean pretty much every beat being synced. It's mainly used by action, upbeat, or dance videos. This relies less on story(sometimes none at all) and more on "This is an awesome song, and this is an awesome anime, here's an awesome AMV highlighting the awesomeness!" Usually relying on heavy songs with a lot of noticeable beats I'll explain the types of syncs and how too later. A good example of this is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52FFA2_flo]Naruto Technique Beat - Decoy Ops[/url]. Another Naruto video man I'm on a roll (awkward because I'm not a fan of naruto but I digress. Bias and away!)

[size="3"][i]Mood Videos[/i][/size]
Often mixed in with usually character profiles or stories and the songs usually are instrumental or floatsy, for lack of better words. The whole goal is to evoke an emotion, there might be a story, and there might not be. It could be to make you feel happy, excited, tired, inspired, breathless, provocative, thought-hungry, weird, disgusted, disturbed, scared. One such example is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpDmD_tcps]Eliminate, Extirpate, Asphyxiate - Shinnie04[/url] If you can't tell from the video title this video is a bit disturbing and disgusting. There's nothing really R-17+ or blood everywhere it just suppose to make you feel disturbed and it does it well. (also if it wasn't obvious if you do not like being disturbed or easily bothered don't watch.)

[size="3"][i]Character Profile Videos[/i][/size]
Every character has a story within the universe of their set anime, and each character has a deep and complex 3D character they might not be readily apparent or ever apparent unless you dig deep. Let's use an obvious example, Naruto.

What is Naruto? A ditsy weak character who's trying to be hokage(video 1). He was born with the nine-tails sealed within him becoming the public token of hate within his village(2). He hides pains with his rash behaviors and laughter but secretly it is killing him inside(3). He values friendship and honor over anything and has two comrades he cares about who shares many adventures(4). One of these friends betray him, one who is dear to him as he and his friend are put on opposite sides of the battlefield(5). And so on... Character profile is relatively easy to pull off and always fun to do. Simply obviously put, a character profile is a video about a character or certain aspects of that character within the universe. These are also the most popular since most people tend to write their favorite character names + "AMV" :P. A good example is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNXr7cvNYnM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]Welcome To My Secrets - Noss[/url]. Also shows some nice beat syncing :P ([b]Also defined as a genre[/b])

[b]Genres[/b]

Now that we have editing styles, all that lefts on types are genres. You can't really choose a genre how you edit, what footage you use, and what song you use pretty much determines genres. Of course that doesn't mean you can't edit with a genre in mind, this section is mainly used if any of you feel like putting a genre in your AMV or you're gonna take part of an AMV contest/tourney/or upload on certain websites.

[i]Action[/i]
Just as it says. It's an AMV that relies on action scenes or any scenes with tons of movement. It's also usually edited with tons of effects or beat syncing usually with an action anime and a hard-rock, metal song, or hard electronic music. The whole point is to pump up whoever is viewing with awesome everything oozing out of everywhere. It's very closely related to dance/upbeat and on rare occasion you can classify a video as both. A good example is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHpxzZeIuSk]Battle Shout by NeverendAMV[/url]

[i]Dance/Upbeat[/i]
Like I mentioned before it's very similar to action AMV in style of edited except it uses more uplifting scenes, happy scenes, and well scenes with dancing. It also relies more on effects and mood syncing rather than beat syncing. It is suppose to make you feel more happy and excited rather than pumped with adrenaline. A good example [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5q2qVr0Ye0]Pacific Coast Party by Cross/fade[/url]

[i]Comedy[/i]
Make me laugh. That's pretty much all you need to know about comedy, it can pretty much follow any style(of course any genre can do this) but comedy is more flexible and easier to do this. There is so many ways this is done I can't even give a generalization; all you need to know is if they laughed you're successful.

[i]Drama/Sentimental/Romance[/i]
They're together in one topic because they are all identical aside from how you're suppose to feel at the end. Drama is suppose to make you either sad, angry, or depressed; Sentimental is suppose to make you satisfied, content, or happy; While romance is suppose to make you lovey-dovey and happy unless it's a romance that is also a tragedy. You tend to edit with slower songs and sync more on mood rather than lyrics or beats. Effects are generally more subtle and instead of trying to go "HEY LOOK AT ME! I'M AWESOME!" It's in the background advancing the scene, showing a point, or simply used for extravagant transitions. An amv can be filled with 800 effects, if it's a drama you most likely will notice about 4.

[center][size="5"][b]Shopping Time!(Getting your footage)[/b][/size][/center]

Wow that was a mouthful. Now that we know what you're gonna use to edit and what song and anime combination to use, now it's time for the actual footage. Especially now-a-days where everyone has access to footage and I will list a few methods of obtaining these footage.

[i]Music[/i]
I know this should not be something in guide as it's wide-spread now, but hey for completion sake. Anyways you can either rip the song/album from a CD you have bought/ordered from a store/seller or download music off of the internet through many ways. However since this is your flesh and blood, even if you're downloading try and get the best possible quality you can(this means avoid youtube downloaders. .flv has worse audio quality than an original.).

[i]Anime[/i]
Is identical with music but needs some more words since Anime depending on where you live is not as easy to buy as compared to music(especially in price) and downloading can range in quality and usability. So let's start off with the route that most people should strive to complete, purchasing anime DVDs. Made more convenient if you already an active anime collector.

If you found the anime you wish to edit with and you do not currently own your anime here's what you can do.

[b]1.)[/b] Check local video stores since most now offer anime DVDs and almost every large retail store should have some in stock too. (Walmart, F.Y.E, Target, etc..)

[b]2.)[/b] Find any store that allows renting, not only is it legal it's an easy way to get the highest quality footage without spending as much money as you would with #1. (This includes online renting services like netflix.)

[b]3.)[/b] Ordering online, there are many sites willing to sell for good prices. This also gives you access to Japanese animes that aren't in America yet allowing more possible footage. Of course this is generally more pricey if you try to import. ( http://www.animenation.com/ is a good site, a bit pricey but if you wait for sales, animes instantly become cheap. So try jumping on this website every few weeks to check the deals, I got 11 DVDs for 22$)

[b]4.)[/b] Ask your friends if they have DVDs.

[b]5.)[/b] Downloading. Not going to go into much more detail than that other than it's possible and if you look around you should easily find it. Just if you decide to use these footage please PLEASE don't use any footage that...
-- Generally looks bad, if you think it looks crappy or can look better, look b etter.
-- If it has subs don't use it, try and find a RAW or file with soft-subs(.mkv)
-- HD(720p -or- 1080p) is nice but not required just make sure it looks good and is progressive. (doesn't have too but is convienant)
-- If encoded in XviD/DivX please convert it to a more editable format, or else you'll hate yourself later. This is for you not me. (I have a tutorial for this farther in the guide. Ctrl+F to Virtual Dub)

[size="5"][center][b]How to rip DVDs[/b][/center][/size]

First you're going to need a DVD ripper, any will work but for the sake of the guide(And it's the most used and the one I prefer). We're going to use http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm (You don't need to get paid version since 95% of what you're gonna use is freely accessible.). Of course the merits of having the paid version is being able to rip a lot of newer Bluray movies.

(Guide goes here but I'm going to school right now)

[size="5"][center][b]??. Creating the Perfect Editing Footage[/b][/center][/size]

You've just ripped that perfect anime off of a DVD or downloaded the latest episode of Bakedashi. Time to throw it into the program and edit! Sometimes it's not easy and even if it is you should take a few pre-steps to better your editing experience and quality of the footage so your AMV will stand out apart from the rest of the 1,000,000 naruto - linkin park AMVs. Thankfully this is made easy with a bunch of programs people made(conveniently placed in one pack)

[url=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/AMVapp20090528.zip]AMV APP[/url]. Feel free to install everything or wait until I tell you to download it. Which is...Now.

[b]Install the following:[/b] VirtualDub_188.exe and LagarithSetup_1319.exe

Once you have downloaded and installed both programs it is time to start the "clean up" phase as I call it :P or maybe you can call it "Main Phase 1". Open up your Virtual Dub and you should see something like this.
[spoiler=Figure 1][img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9343/guide1c.png[/img][/spoiler]

(also this goes left to right, I'm an idiot and accidentally put two 11's and too lazy to change for now)
(unprofessional-ism FTW)

[b]1[/b] - Stop (Stop the video footage)
[b]2[/b] - Play Input (plays input footage)
[b]3[/b] - Play Output (plays output footage; footage will only look different if you have filters)
[b]4[/b] - Go to Frame 1 (goes to beginning of video footage)
[b]5[/b] - Go back by 1 Frame (seeks back in video by 1 frame)
[b]6[/b] - Go forward by 1 Frame (seeks forward by 1 frame)
[b]7[/b] - Go to Last Frame (goes to end of video footage)
[b]8[/b] - Go back by 1 Key Frame (You will never use this. You shouldn't anyways)
[b]9[/b] - Go forward by 1 Key Frame (^)
[b]10[/b] - Fast Rewind (Another thing we won't use. Simply cause the trackbar gets us there faster)
[b]11a[/b] - Fast Forward (^)
[b]11b[/b] - Set Render Input (When you click this, when you go to render the file. It will save anything after this)
[b]12[/b] - Set Render Endput (When you click this, it will stop rendering once this frame has been reached)
[b]13[/b] - Tells you what frame you're at
[b]Slider[/b] - Also the trackbar you can drag it around to get to points in your footage.

Now that you know that there are 2 thing you're going to need to change. Go to top and select "Video" and you should see a few things. The first thing you're gonna do is go down and make sure [b]"Fast Recompress[/b] is highlighted. If not click it. Next in the same menu go to Video>Compression. You should see a few selection depending on how many you've installed. In the drop-down box select "Lagarith lossless Codec" and click ok. Now you are almost prepared for exporting.

Now it's time to setup the footage, go to File>Open Video File and set "Files of Type" to All Types and search for your anime. There are certain codecs and containers that will never go into virtual dub unless you do something magical first(such example is .mkv) but don't frets I will teach you the magic further down.)

Once you have selected your anime it should appear above the Trackbar. Instead of exporting the whole thing(unless you have a big dedicated hard-drive for editing) you should look through the project and find out exactly what clip are you going to need at that very moment. Because exporting as a lossless codec(lagarith) takes up a lot of space and I mean AAALLOOOTT! So you should export only clips you know you will use(another strategy[one that I use] is export the clips you need as you edit). Example all clips exported should be 3 seconds to 2 minutes maxed(unless you're exporting an entire fight scene or similar.)

To do this find the scene you want to export and click the Render Input button; now find the end of the scene and click the render endput button. You should see something like...
[spoiler=Figure 2][img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7449/guide2pk.png[/img][/spoiler]

Now that you have your clip selected now go to File>Save as AVI and now you have footage perfect for editing.

[b][size="3]What if virtualDUB can't read my file? You know .mkv... [/size][/b]
Than we need the help of the most beautiful program ever. Avisynth

[b]Install the following:[/b] Avisynth_258.exe // AVSPluginPack.exe // AvsP_202.exe

Now with that installed open AvsP up and you should see something that looks like a word pad.
[spoiler=Figure 3][img]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7859/guide3.png[/img][/spoiler]

There is a lot you can do with this program, it's almost endless but...For now we'll only need it for one thing.
[code]
AVISource() ##- This should work with any avi files

DirectShowSource() ##- This should work with any file that can open with window media players.

FFVideoSource() ##- Will work with pretty much anything. We will be using this one.

MPEG2Source() ##- 2nd most used. It's mainly used for DVD files(which is recommended since DVD has the best quality.)

WAVSource() ##- Load audio file.
[/code]
Example mine is
[code]
ffvideoSource("C:\Users\FoX\Videos\OVA\Black Rock Shooter\Black_Rock_Shooter_(2010)_[720p,BluRay,x264].mkv")
[/code]

To set up your footage what you basically want to do is find out where your footage is located and simply put the location in between the parenthesis and don't forget the quotation mark "".
[code]
ffvideoSource("C:\Desktop\Anime.mkv") ##Remember change"C:\Desktop\Anime.mkv to where your footage is.
[/code]

To see if it works press the triangle in the bottom left and a preview window with your anime should show up. If it shows up, click the play button and it shall open up a window explorer. Using that explorer look for where your Virtualdub is installed and select VirtualDub.exe. Virtualdub should now open everytime you click play with the footage that didn't work before will now work. Now continue like normal like above in the virtual dub section.

Addedum: If you are wondering where the audio is? ffvideosource doesn't export audio. If you want audio as well on a new line type
[code]
ffvideoSource("C:\Desktop\Anime.mkv")
ffaudioSource("C:\Desktop\Anime.mkv")
[/code]

(WORK IN PROGRESS! WATCH OUT FOR FALLING BRICKS AND WHISTLERS WITH HARD HATS!)

I'd say an amv also makes you rethink the way you view a character or anime. You put their instead of there. (Same section)

I loved the older version of WMM (2003/2005 ish) I found it very easy to use, but it got more prone to crashing as time went on, then stopped working all together. You missed ULead Video studio off. I haven't used it for a while and bar having to tell it to use Overlays, but I enjoyed it. So wish I could get Sony Vegas...

Very good tutorial I <3 it.
[quote name='Yin' timestamp='1294390453' post='4917263']
I'd say an amv also makes you rethink the way you view a character or anime. You put their instead of there. (Same section)

I loved the older version of WMM (2003/2005 ish) I found it very easy to use, but it got more prone to crashing as time went on, then stopped working all together. You missed ULead Video studio off. I haven't used it for a while and bar having to tell it to use Overlays, but I enjoyed it. So wish I could get Sony Vegas...

Very good tutorial I <3 it.
[/quote]

character profiles :3. It's gonna be in the genres sadly I'm slow as hell to update due to tons of work. Gonna get tons done today and thanks.

Archived