How to make yourself seem like you know what you are doing. (New member guide?)

.Starrk

[center]

Mkay. So you don't have to follow these guidelines if you don't want to. But, it would do you some good if you follow these to make your stay here at YCM more enjoyable.

So this is a guide on how to make it look like you know what you are doing.

[b]1. A good looking avatar.[/b]

This one is fairly easy. Find an avatar that suits you. But, to make it seem better, the avatar must be square shaped.

A good avatar:

Square Shaped
Reflects You
Looks cool

Like so:

[img]http://oi55.tinypic.com/rc229t.jpg[/img]

See? Square shaped. It shows that I like anime/manga, and it looks cool.

Here is a bad example:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/cbourque/dragon.jpg[/IMG]

Ok. This may reflect you, and is square shaped, but it really isn't cool looking. :/ No offense to anyone.

Hope that makes sense.

[b]2. A presentable Signature.[/b]

I don't know what the hell this is, but it is a bad example of a signature.

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/nemoki/Signatures/I_heart_friends.jpg[/IMG]

Ugh. I'm so sorry for the people who had to see this.

A good signature should also be a good reflection of yourself, but don't make it too obscure and big a/or small.

I don't want to use my signature as a good example, because I feel that would be kind of conceded. So, depending on your viewpoints, you can decide on a good looking signature.

[b]3. Using to many smileys and texting phrases.[/b]

We all love talk in txting form, and usin' smileys and not using grammar.

To be honest I see this a lot:

OMG lol so i saw this hapen b4! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
XD

Seriously. You may think this is cool, but it's f***ing annoying. I dare you to start yelling at me for saying it would be in the people's interest to start using grammar. Try me.

[b]4. Starting a thread that has already been made.[/b]

I admit to doing this before, when I was n00b. So this shows what I know.

When someone makes a thread, dont just post the same thing later because the topic has already been discussed. However, if you wish to re-make a thread, like, "Post a pic of the real you!" originally started by Azrael, and re-made by Shikamaru, I would do this to the mods' consent.

[b]5. Flooding the status Bar.[/b]

This pisses me off. If you post 7 statuses a day, which is a fuckload, and hardly even post in threads, I suggest you leave the site, go to a butcher, and tell him to put you into a meat grinder.

But enough about my pissy rants.

That's all for now folks, if any of you want to make some addendums, fell free to tell me.

[b]6. A creative username.[/b]

Here is one thing that I cannot stand. People who have usernames, that are completely unoriginal. Mine is okay I guess, but what I'm really talking about usernames like:

Bigdawg29
BlueEyes71
Sandypants1234

My god I hate this. No offense to anyone who has this name, but seriously, it's f***ing retarded. Just try to put random letters together, and see if it sounds good. I don't really see how it is this hard to come up with a good one. It's easier than math. Math can be retardedly hard sometimes. Just try it.

[b]7. Reps for retarded reasons.[/b]

So you see a comment. You think the comment is pretty good. Just a simple comment that states your point and then leaves. However, it is not witty, nor smart, and therefore DOES NOT DESERVE A REP.

Something very smart and witty deserves a rep. Not just saying the truth with no pizazz to it.

Example: "Thanks Langer Aevel." *Gets repped by Langer Aevel*

In the Comments and suggestions section, if the suggestion that you would support is an okay one, but should not affect YCM greatly by it being put into effect, it DOES NOT DESERVE A REP.

[b]However, if it would greatly change YCM for the better if put into effect, that is when it deserves a rep.[/b]
[/center]
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='DragonKing Ex' timestamp='1301764723' post='5108072']
Do I Qualify? [img]http://public.yugiohcardmaker.net/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]No because you just posted on a thread 7 months dead

[quote name='optimus327prime' timestamp='1314545749' post='5474748']
what about creating millions of balanced, playable cards
[/quote]What about not necrobumping

[quote name='All_That_Is_Man' timestamp='1322435833' post='5670501']
if i may say so if you seriously have to ask this guy if your name and or sig is ok the it clearly isnt.....jus sayin
[/quote]And yet another necrobump...
How did this happen? 3 necrobumps in a row? What is this???

I'm sorry if this offends you but in my opinion, this is a rubbish tutorial. For one you contradict yourself '[b]Starting a thread that has already been made.' [/b], technically this thread has been made. The Noob Tutorial by Darkplant covers pretty much all the stuff you have and in more detail. He even then he tells you what to avoid aesthetically, even if he doesn't give picture examples.

An avatar doesn't always have to be square shaped? It's good to stand out from the crowd once in a while. It can be square with rounded off corners or even a rendered circle. It really doesn't matter that much and shouldn't effect other members. As for the signatures, well, some people might argue that it doesn't [i]have [/i]to be a reflection on yourself as it is just a signature. However, I believe that it should be and you didn't even really go into detail about how you can request one at the appropriate section if you so wish.

[i]This pisses me off. If you post 7 statuses a day, which is a fuckload, and hardly even post in threads, I suggest you leave the site, go to a butcher, and tell him to put you into a meat grinder.[/i]

[i]What? [/i]Who cares? I'm pretty sure that if you post a status update and then another it hides your old update? Even if I am wrong you could have just directed other members in the way of the newly appointed status update rules or even C&P'd the rules into this thread. What harm could it do? Less then influencing people to put their head in a meat grinder, surely?

[i][b]A creative username.[/b][/i]

Now you're just being stupid. A username is down to the individual member; you're telling them to reflect who they are through pretty much everything they do; avatar, sig, etc. However, you fail to take into account that a username like 'BlueEyes71' will probably reflect who they are better than most usernames. In addition, once they read this thread they're kind'a screwed as far as changing their name goes. The automated system doesn't let you do it until a month after you join, by my experience any way.

[i][b]Reps for retarded reasons[/b][/i]

Again, it's really up to the person about what [b]they[/b] want to do with [b]their[/b] privileges.

very well put there travie......names like blueeyes71 MIGHT be a better rep of theirselves in fact maybe better than copyinga manga or anime or some cartoon show..but i believe what he meant is try to be a little more creative with the names and not just put two words and two numbers......like they could say thier name as EyesXofXBlue or something cool like tht....but then again it is entirely up to tht person what they do with thier privaliges
SOOOOOOOO this is pretty much a stalemate

Archived