Posting and Spam - How to make better of the first, and how to avoid the latter

JerryFreelance

I’m sure that someone has already made something like this, but it doesn’t much matter to me… You can never have too many resources. I will also try to go more in-depth with this guide than anyone else has. So, allow me to begin.

This is a guide about posting and spam. It will show you everything you will need to know about posting, and how to stay away from that dreaded spam.

The first thing people say about spam is that it is short, pointless, and annoying. I don’t believe that. The longest message in the world can be spam. Spam can have a point, but be unnecessary. But for the most part, spam is annoying…

So I’ll start with posting, and then move on to spam.

So let’s say you have something to post, but don’t know what section to post it in. Here’s a list of all types of things you should post things in:

NEWS: Nothing. Just don’t post here… Like, ever. There’s a reason every topic in there is locked.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS: Just that. If you have a question about something regarding the FORUM (not the game, very important), post it here. If you have a comment about the Card Maker, or have any suggestions that you think would make the Card Maker or the forums better, post them here too. But before you post, check to see if your question, comment, or suggestion has been posted. This saves you the misery of you spamming, and then everyone else spamming up your thread saying that the thread itself is spam.

HELP & TUTORIALS: This is the place where you can learn about everything to do with the Card Maker, and post your own tutorials on using the Card Maker and the Boards.

CUSTOM CARDS [Except for Card Contests]: If you made some cards using the Card Maker, and would like to show them to others, use this section. If your card has anything to do with Popular Culture [regardless of how awesome and unique it is], it needs to go in Pop Culture Cards. Realistic Cards are not just cards that are extremely unique and original, but there has to be a small chance that Konami might make a card like the card/cards you post here. Any Other Cards is the section for cards that aren’t Pop Culture, but you don’t think are realistic enough, just post them here. The written cards section is for the cards that you’ve thought of, but have yet to make a card out of, or just cards that you don’t want to use the Card Maker for. And finally, once you’ve finished a set, post it in the Finished Cards/Sets section. My advice to you is that if you’re working on a set, and you want people to rate every single card, post them one at a time in the Realistic Section, and then later, once you’ve finished, have a moderator move it to the Finished Sets section.

CARD CONTESTS: This is the place for you to post any type of contests involving a card you could think of. If you have a contest idea, be sure to post it here. Make sure you only have one contest running at a time though…

FINISHED CONTESTS: This is where contests have finished will go. There is never any reason to post a contest here… This is just so that people can differentiate which contests have finished and which ones haven’t so that people don’t spend hours looking for a contest they want to enter. There’s not too much point in posting in a thread once it’s in here, but you can definitely do it.

FINISHED CONTESTS:

ANIME: This is the section where you can talk about ANYTHING anime related, although it’s only for the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime.

CARD TRADE: I dare you to post here. You WILL get banned.

FAN FICTION: This is the section for you to post all of your Fan-Fictions. If you have a story, post it here. It’s supposed to be for Yu-Gi-Oh!, but people do other types as well.

ROLE PLAYING: This is the place for you to post a Role Playing Game you have. A role playing game is basically where you involve other people, and make a story using everyone’s writing.

ROLE PLAYING:

YOUR DECK: This is the place for you to post the Advanced Format Deck you have made. Don’t use fake cards here, just real cards. You don’t have to have all the cards either; just post what you hope to have by the time your deck is done.

TRADITIONAL DECK: This is where you can post your Traditional Format decks. Once again, you don’t need every card…

TRADITIONAL DECK:

YU-GI-OH! TCG: This is where you discuss the Trading Card Game. If you have a question about a card, post it here. Basically, you can discuss anything about the game here. Sneak Peak coming up? Post info about it here. Did you go to a tournament recently and want to post your stats? This is the section for you.

STRATEGY: Got a cool strategy or card combo you just thought of? This is the place to post it and get thoughts on it!

STRATEGY:

SHOWCASE: If you just made a neat graphic, or a banner, or a sprite, or whatever, just post it here. You can get all types of feedback on your graphics.

TUTORIALS: Got a cool tutorial on how to do something graphics related? This is where you can post it so that other members can learn how to do things with graphics.

SHOPS / REQUESTS: Here’s where you keep all your graphics shops, as well as make requests for graphics or something to do with graphics. Something like asking for someone to holo your cards or for a really cool banner for your new set.

GENERAL: This is where you post something that doesn’t go in any other section. It doesn’t have to do with Yu-Gi-Oh! or anything else. It can be completely random, but not too random. Sometimes, it can be over the top, so don't be super random... This is where it goes.

[align=center]GAMES: If you have a game, you can post it here. The two most popular threads on the forum are games. Any type of game you want others to play goes here.

POLLS: If you have a question that involves a poll, and it’s totally unrelated to stuff on the forum, post it here. Make sure it has a poll though ;)

CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS: If you have a club you want to start, you can post information about it here. Then, people can come and join your club! [/align]

INTRODUCTIONS: If you are a new person, you can post information about yourself here… Although, if you’re a new member, odds are you aren’t reading this…

MODERATOR’S FORUM: Oh wait, that’s right… You can’t view this forum :P

So now that you know where to post your topics, let’s move on to what a post consists of, and what spam is.

A post contains something that pertains to the topic at hand. By this law, making a thread is never spamming, right? Well, it can be. First off, if you post a thread in the wrong section, that’s spam. You’ll have a mod move it for you [most likely], but you will be branded with a scarlet “S” forevermore (anyone get the allusion?).

With a post, there are many ways you can spam. Some are pretty obvious, and some are not. Unfortunately, there are high-post members who spam. Some spam a lot. I will post examples of spams, and you may recognize them, but please do not say who it is. Keep it anonymous. Anyone can learn from this, not just new members.

So first off, the one thing that ABSOLUTELY pisses me off. Side-conversations. There are private messages for a reason. NEVER get off topic on a thread. Here’s a great example of that, and it includes some very blatant spamming:

[After a contest ended…]

lol randomness
okay, if you say so....
Oh shut up [username] lol
in other words, stop entering contests :P
Oh ---- me. Ah well, [name] and her Element Cards will still be showing up in my fanfic anyway...

*Note to self: Stop entering Contests that [username] enters, he is gonna win them.*

Ive only won # contests, its not that many lol i havent come first plenty of times.
Yeah, I didn't think I would win.

Somehow, [username] magically keeps wining things.

randomness lol ^_^
4-Stars, 5-Stars, you're splitting hairs here, the point is....well, actually I don't know what the point is...I guess there wasn't a point at all...oh well…
You do know the amount of stars does not reflect how good you are, [username] has like 3/4, only 500/600 posts and is a very skilled card maker ^_^

Well, first off… It goes from the contest aftermath to side conversation that’s completely off-topic, with quite a bit of spamming (the two “lol randomness” comments are spams that are clear as day).

So, getting off topic is spam. What I usually say when this type of situation occurs is simply “TAKE IT TO THE PMs”. I would advise you to do the same, but only do so if you have something else to say. Simply saying that is spam on your part. You need to back that up with a comment that addresses the topic at hand as well.

One of the most blatant forms of spamming is multiposting [i like to call this “gigaspam”]. This means when you post more than once within a certain period of time (Usually 12 hours, but if you post twice in 9 or 10, it isn’t a huge deal). There’s an EDIT button for a reason; use it. The only form of double posting that I would deem acceptable is the kind where you start a new thread, and simply post that you’re working on a new set. Then, no one posts, so when you finish the first card, you EDIT the original post, make a new post [thus bumping the thread to the top], and then immediately delete that post after someone posts. Don’t double or triple within like, 10 minutes. Not everyone stalks the forums waiting for you to post. If no one posts within the first twenty minutes, that doesn’t give you the right to double post. Just relax, and be patient.

One type of post that is very difficult to decide whether or not it is spam is the following: When you make a card and someone comes around and just says “9/10” or something of the like. If it’s a crap card, that’s probably a dead give-away that it’s a person simply trying to up their post count, and thus this is spam. Most people give out high ratings anyways, so someone can easily come around to a card, look at one or two ratings that have previously occurred, and vote 9/10. You’ll notice that most of the time these people post after a lot of other people have posted… An example of this on the forums is that, and also something along the lines of:

"It’s a nice card."

The reason people post cards is because they want feedback… Posting something like that is essentially spam. When you post on a thread like that, try and leave a review as well… People value your opinion more if you give them a full review as opposed to something like the above.

Another manner of spamming is usually if you see someone post something that appears to have been copied and pasted. An easy way to find this is in the Introductions section. An example of a poster that did something like this was that he/she posted the following on five different threads in less than two minutes:

“Welcome to the forum ^_^”

Clearly that’s probably copied and pasted. And if it’s not, well… It’s not a huge spamming issue, as it is on topic, but it seems a bit unnecessary… Most people feel happy that someone posted in their thread saying welcome, but then if they go to other threads and see the same person say the exact same thing, it makes them feel like that person didn’t even read what the new user had to say, and just wanted to up his/her post count. This is clearly not good.

If someone has said something, don’t just quote their post and leave it at that. That is also spam… If you’re not saying anything, don’t post. It is just evident that you are trying to up your post count. Similarly, if someone else posted something about a card someone made, and you completely agree, you don’t need to post. If someone else said it, you don’t need to make a post that says: “[username] said it all” or “I agree with [username]”. You can agree, but only if you have something to add, or disagree with something that the other person said (i.e. “I agree with you [username], but I think that you’re wrong in saying that…” or “I agree with you [username], but I’d also like to add…”). This just shows that you want a higher post count as well.

Another way of spamming is saying something, and then two posts later, saying the EXACT same thing. Something like:

lol, [username] got it ^_^
Gee, thanks...

[username], if you need any help at all, or if you have any questions, feel free to private message me. :)

lol, yeah, the first time you got it! XDDDD

The first thing is spam, then the second thing is not really spam, but should have just been edited into the first post, and then the third post… Well… I don’t even know WHAT the third post is =/

The only exception to this rule is if you ask a question and it’s not answered. But even then, you should wait at least a day or so before you ask the question again.

Another extremely blatant spam is “Yes”, “no”, “maybe”, etc. If that’s all you’re going to say, don’t say anything. Or if you feel it is something you need to say, add something on to that. You’re avoiding spam, and if it’s over 25 characters, you’re getting a point!

BUMPING OLD THREADS. One of the worst forms of spam. But there’s an even worse form of spam… Wanna know what it is? When people constantly say after the bumpage “STOP POSTING HERE IT’S AN OLD THREAD”. Guess what… NOT ANYMORE. If the user still uses the forums, they might check up on this thread again. If not, a mod will lock it. If someone bumps a thread, and then five minutes later, someone says “Don’t bump old threads” and that’s all, that’s spam, but it’s widely accepted spam. Furthermore, if another person posts seven minutes later saying “ALL YOU PEOPLE STOP POSTING IN OLD THREADS” then clearly there is something wrong with your sense of time, as if seven minutes is old, then the Giants are the favorites for winning the Super Bowl tomorrow. My advice to someone in this type of situation is to neg the person who bumped the old thread, and if you absolutely want to post, also leave something that addresses the topic at hand.

You would think that this next one does not need any description, but you’d be surprised at how many people still do it. Don’t post something that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. This kinda goes with don’t go into off topic conversations, but at the same time, kinda not. Just don’t do it.

Next one is: Don’t bump other people’s threads. This is definite spam. It’s not your thread, and thus it is not your place to bump it. If the topic-starter wants it to the top, he/she will do it him/herself.

The next and final thing that I have to say is that post count doesn’t matter. It’s just a number. And to be quite honest, it doesn’t make you cool to have 10000 posts if 9999 of them are spam. Most users don’t know what spam is, so they assume that yes, you are cool. Sure it makes you well known to post 150 times a day, but does it really matter? If all you’re going to post is spam, the new members are gonna think you’re cool, but members like myself will “pity the fool” (where the fool is he/she who spams 150 times a day). You’re not cool for posting a million times if it’s all spam.

If there is anything I forgot, tell me and I’ll add it in. Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully you won’t spam ever again.

The next and final thing that I have to say is that post count doesn’t matter. It’s just a number. And to be quite honest' date='[b'] it doesn’t make you cool to have 10000 posts if 9999 of them are spam[/b]. Most users don’t know what spam is, so they assume that yes, you are cool. Sure it makes you well known to post 150 times a day, but does it really matter? If all you’re going to post is spam, the new members are gonna think you’re cool, but members like myself will “pity the fool” (where the fool is he/she who spams 150 times a day). You’re not cool for posting a million times if it’s all spam.

yet again... how do you pass maths?

and ending with Mr. T is awesome

10/10 nice tut

Archived