[MtG] Colour Battles: Thought up by an idiot

So, yesterday night: I came up with this hilariously random idea. After looking through the formats, I didn't see any that was like this.

Need:

Basic Land Cards; About 50 is enough; 20 for regular games, and about 5 of each type for Extended Games. You might need more depending on the number of players

Decent Card Pool; Atleast 20 Cards of each colour(Red, Blue, White, Black, Green) Try to use a specific set so it's easier, Or a specific block. Having 2 or 3 of cards like Unsummon and Negate would also be a decent idea.

Rules:

At the start of the game, each player is given 5 lands(In Extended, 1 of each colour) The idea is to win all your opponents lands by winning Battles. At the start of the first turn, both players must battle for 1 land(No more is allowed at this point). Put the lands in the middle of the table. If both players have the same number of land cards put into a battle, there is no turn priority, so both players cards come onto the field at the same time(You'll see why this is important later) If a Creature is revealed, place it above the player's land card. if a Instant/Equipment/Enchantment or other type of card is revealed; if you control an applicable target, you can activate it, otherwise; shuffle it back into your deck and reveal the next card. Repeat the process until both players have creatures. Then, battle as normal; Note abilities like flying have no effect, but abilities like First Strike and so forth do.

Whoever has a creature at the end of the round wins that round and both land cards; put the defeated creature/used cards into the discard pile, then shuffle the winning creature back into it's owner's deck.

At this point; The next turn begins and a "Land Generation" Phase occurs until the 5th turn; Both players get 1 extra land card during the start of their turns, the stack of land cards should be facedown in a Extended game.

From turn 2 and onwards, a Player can choose to play as many land cards up to 3 as they wish, whoever plays the most land cards gets the turn priority; so they get to flip their card first. This can be helpful if you're trying to get a specific effect before the opponent can play their card; but leaves the creature vunerable to cards like Unsummon(as it'd have a target) During battle, a player can play another land card to flip an extra card to help them. If it's a creature, it's shuffled into the owner's deck and nothing happens.

If it's an equipment and the like and it has an applicable target, It can be played. Note you cannot play your last land card this way. You can only play 1 extra land card a turn, even if the card flipped has an applicable target.

Continue turns until one player has lost all their lands. The person who has all the land cards at the end is the winner.

Picking cards:

Before a Game, shuffle the card pool into the different colours and then, starting with the first player, each player selects 1 card from each colour 5 times(I.e: Player 1 picks their cards, then player 2, then player 1 again, then player 2) Showing them each time. This is why I suggested a specific set, to allow counterpicking and such. In a set with odd colour numbers(I.e: A set with say, lots more red cards than white cards, you might want to add some cards from the previous set from the block(I.e: Mirrodin Besieged cards in a New Phyrexia card Pool)

Card Grammar Effects(Common effects):

"Flying" = Not used.
"Trample" = "When this creature wins a Battle, you may take an additional land from your opponent"
"Vigilance" = Disable Opponent's Land effects(Not used in Standard Games)
"First strike" = Works as normal. Otherwise, player with priority attacks first.
"Draw Cards" = "Look at the top X Cards of your library, you can choose which card to play"
"Discard Cards" = "Mill X Cards"
"Infect" = "When this creature wins a battle, give a poison counter to your foe; A player with a poison counter doesn't get a land during Land Generation, and must give a Land to a foe during the start of each turn, times the number of poison counters a player has."
"Gain X Life" = "Place 1 Land from the land pile into your lands equal to the total number of life you gain."
"Lose X Life" = "Place 1 land into the land pile from your lands equal to the number of life you lose"

Of course, you can change these effects.

Basic Land effects(Extended Game only):
These only activate when the land is the first land you play(I.e: you can only get 1 of these effects a turn)

Plains: Creature has First Strike. If you don't have priority, attack priority is disabled until end of turn.
Swamp: Creature has Infect.
Mountians: Creature gets +X/+1 when it battles, where X is the number of lands in play.
Island: When creature wins a battle, Opponent Mills X Cards, where X is the number of lands in play.
Forest: Creature has Trample.

In an extended game; 30 Lands of each colour, and the land pile is shuffled before each game.

Ban list, Magic: the Gathering core set 2012(Some help here would be nice):

Sorin's Vengance
Bountiful Harvest
Angel's Mercy
Time Reversal
Tectonic Rift

Reason most of these are banned is because of either their effects are too stupid for this type of game(Sorin's Vengance ended a ton of my test games; Bountiful Harvest and Angel's Mercy made it too hard for the other player to win) and some of them are just impossible to do(Time reversal and Tectonic rift)

Anyway, this is only a Idea; so comments would be nice :P

Archived