The Odds and You.

Nathanael D. Striker

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Arial][spoiler=The Odds and You]Who determines the odds that you must face? Is it your parents? Is it your friends? It is your teachers? Is it the government? The answer is none of them. The one that determines the odds that stand in front of you is yourself. That is a difficult concept to grab upon. Why are you the one that is responsible for the odds that you have to face. Well, most of the odds, or circumstances, are in direct relation to the actions that you have taken in the past. Others are just disadvantages that were placed on you. The odds are not to be left alone and be thought of as something that can never be beaten no matter how hard you try; they are meant to be surpassed by your will to overcome the disadvantages laid in front of you and live the life you have always dreamed of living.[/spoiler][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial]This is a little something I typed up while I was bored on Thursday. After a bit of editing, I decided to post this here. I may type things similar to this in the future and post it here, but I'll leave you guys with this for now.[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=#000000]In relation to this first piece, discuss the odds you had to face and the ways you overcame them,[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Mr. Striker' timestamp='1321114704' post='5634800']
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Arial][spoiler=The Odds and You (Part 1) ]Who determines the odds that you must face? Is it your parents? Is it your friends? It is your teachers? Is it the government? The answer is none of them. The one that determines the odds that stand in front of you is yourself. That is a difficult concept to grab upon. Why are you the one that is responsible for the odds that you have to face. Well, most of the odds, or circumstances, are in direct relation to the actions that you have taken in the past. Others are just disadvantages that were placed on you. The odds are not to be left alone and be thought of as something that can never be beaten no matter how hard you try; they are meant to be surpassed by your will to overcome the disadvantages laid in front of you and live the life you have always dreamed of living.[/spoiler][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial]This is a little something I typed up while I was bored on Thursday. After a bit of editing, I decided to post this here. I may type things similar to this in the future, but I'll leave you guys with this for now.[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=#000000]Now, discuss the odds you had to face and the ways you overcame them,[/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]
I am Izaya Orihara, I overcome all odds...

In seriousness this one time during 2007 when the market fell and I had to decide to back up my shares or keep spending for a good deal... Luckily my choice kept me where I am today but I won't say what it is...

It's funny you bring this up.
Yesterday, I overcame serious odds in my forensics tournament.
[spoiler=Short forensics info]
You see, I'm on my school's forensics team, basically a mix of a debate team and a theater troupe (I don't get the name either).
I orally interpret (inb4sexualcomment) certain pieces and judges rank me besides my fellow peers.
[/spoiler]
See, I haven't been able to make any forensics practices for the past month. The first time I practiced my pieces was the day before the tourney. And we have to make memorized intros for each piece, which I devised the night before and memorized RIGHT before the tournament, where we perform in 3 rounds in our specific event and then a final round if you make the top 6.
I got 2nd.
I mean, what?

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1321201878' post='5637539']
It's funny you bring this up.
Yesterday, I overcame serious odds in my forensics tournament.
[spoiler=Short forensics info]
You see, I'm on my school's forensics team, basically a mix of a debate team and a theater troupe (I don't get the name either).
I orally interpret (inb4sexualcomment) certain pieces and judges rank me besides my fellow peers.
[/spoiler]
See, I haven't been able to make any forensics practices for the past month. The first time I practiced my pieces was the day before the tourney. And we have to make memorized intros for each piece, which I devised the night before and memorized RIGHT before the tournament, where we perform in 3 rounds in our specific event and then a final round if you make the top 6.
I got 2nd.
I mean, what?
[/quote]

You must have a good memory Fuse. Sometimes our advantages can outweigh our disadvantages.

I suppose so, can't really disagree after the day I had yesterday.
When I said orally interpret, I meant we all read it from books v.v
BUT you got to read it so it engages your audience into your story and performance, along with incorporating gestures and proper eye contact, so it takes some skill, yeah.
I could do a monologue, but OI's become my event.

So we, preset amalgams of neural impulses and primitive survival needs coupled with some entropic actions of spontaneity thrown in by the nature of genetic drift, can choose our own destiny when we're really just witnesses to the circumstance of the external environment and our own genetic and behavioralist nature, which even THEN is preset and a result of logical reactions more than it could be considered random?

How silly of me, part two will obviously address this!

[i]Thank heavens for the odds.[/i]
[i]Nothing could stop me, so come on![/i]
[i]I am against the odds. (A-gainst-the-odds!)[/i]
[i]I'm not even nor odd.[/i]

[i]The never-ending odds,[/i]
[i]Always seem to be- Oh, that's odd.[/i]
[i]I am against the odds,[/i]
[i]Even or odd.[/i]

[i]Against the odds, you will see,[/i]
[i]Nothing could possibly defeat me![/i]
[i]For I've got no respect for the odds... (A-gainst-the-odds!)[/i]
[i]Agains the odds, this is it...[/i]
[i]Nothing could possibly beat me. Can it![/i]
[i]For I've got no respect for the odds...[/i]
[i]Be it even or odd, against the odds![/i]

---

In any event, I have defied the odds far too many times for me to pull out any example that's particularly notable. I'm sure everyone else has done so on a smaller scale as well.

Archived