[MTG] Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon (Blast from the Past 4)

Wave_Sine

This week is a two-for-one, as these cards are extremely similar:

[img]http://magiccards.info/scans/en/9e/176.jpg[/img][img]http://magiccards.info/scans/en/fut/101.jpg[/img]

[spoiler='Modern Oracle text on both:'][b]Nonbasic lands are Mountains.[/b][/spoiler]

These cards are powerful, and can disrupt your opponent. Discuss.

[quote name='Alex_S.' timestamp='1321323907' post='5642533']
Most of what I was wondering was how these cards would work in EDH, especially against non-red decks that almost exclusively use nonbasics.
[/quote]

Becoming a mountain causes a land to lose all its abilities and gain "tap: add red to your mana pool." Whenever a non-red player would add red to his or her mana pool, instead they add colorless.
End result: Blood Moon on a non-red player makes all their nonbasics become lands with "tap: add colorless to your mana pool."

Despite my locals being extremely competitive EDH-wise, me playing Blood Moon on the table with non-red commanders usually gets a response of "Well, that's a [censored] move."
Magus of the Moon is much weaker due to being a 2/2 and, therefore, much easier to remove.

[quote name='-Venser el Transeúnte-' timestamp='1321324568' post='5642559']
mmm Well in general it is good at stoping things such as effect lands...But EDH runs plenty of basics to fill up the Deck...So you'll stop only the staple ones that are less that half the land count...
[/quote]

It really depends on how many colors the EDH deck is. A mono-colored deck will generally run only a few non-basic lands while a five-color deck will run at most 1 of each basic land. Three-color mana bases can vary greatly depending on the player's play-style and budget.

My friend is actually trying (I think) to remove most of the basic and from his deck. He's got two Revised dual lands, a Russian Urborg, Tomb of Yogmoth, and a Cabal Coffers. Needless to say, I get kind of bored sometimes when he takes 10 minutes to finish a turn trying to spend 20 black mana.

I wish Magus of the Moon was a legendary creature. It'd be a nice commander =D

Aaaanyways, great cards. They'd rape in tournament play with all of these nonbasic lands flying about. Just shows what red decks used to be.

Still...those effects don't seem very red (I can't even imagine how it'd work, really). Seems more blue to me...or even green to a certain extent (like islands, mountains, plains and swamps get a bunch of forests).

Archived