Slipknot

Tentacruel

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322270517' post='5665857']
I despise them. I just don't find them interesting in any way. Plus, I'm tired of talking to people that say they like metal, then when I ask them their favorite band, they say Slipknot. It's just so annoying.

I've actually had a kid tell me that The Black Dahlia Murder copies off of Slipknot. >_>
[/quote]
Same here except the TBDM part although they despise other metal bands that me and my friends(or mostly other human beings) listen to like Deftones and Mastodon or Protest the hero by calling em cheap knock off. WTF man? Sometimes slipknot's fan seem to be worst than the band itself.

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1322273708' post='5665965']
Same here except the TBDM part although they despise other metal bands that me and my friends(or mostly other human beings) listen to like Deftones and Mastodon or Protest the hero by calling em cheap knock off. WTF man? Sometimes slipknot's fan seem to be worst than the band itself.
[/quote]

Major props to you for listening to Protest the Hero. Great mathcore there. But yeah. I've met a ridiculous amount of annoying Slipknot fans that act as though Slipknot is, like, the first metal band in the world. It's the same way with fans of 'scene' bands like Attack Attack!, Black Veil Brides, and Asking Alexandria. The bands suck, but the fans are morons who have no respect for musical opinion.

[quote name='Dт. Михаи́л Ботви́нник PчD' timestamp='1322333268' post='5667168']
Superior to actual metal because the lead [s]prick[/s] guy actually sings once in a while. Oh yeah, and you can actually tell what notes their instruments are playing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xNx87hRbU[/media]
[/quote]

You literally just said that there is not a single band that sings in metal, and that every metal band has unrecognizable notes.

No. Just no.

That was the dumbest thing I've heard a human being say about music other than "Taking Back Sunday is emo."

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322334046' post='5667204']
You literally just said that there is not a single band that sings in metal, and that every metal band has unrecognizable notes.

No. Just no.

That was the dumbest thing I've heard a human being say about music other than "Taking Back Sunday is emo."
[/quote]

Come on, the sarcasm was pretty obvious. And as someone who actually does transcribe pieces by ear, I can tell you with all the authority I can muster that metal doesn't have any discernible notes or chords. I would consider it to be so far removed from any other form of music, as all forms of music at least carry a form of rhythmic or musical basis. Bands like Slipknot and Metallica are pretty easy to transcribe as the motifs and riffs are clear musically.

Just because something is easily transcribed doesn't it has more distinct notes. A note is just the sound made. A, B, C, D, E, F, or G, along with the sharps/flats (depending on your preference). While not many people listen to a metal song and think "Oh! That note's a G!," there are still easily picked out notes for the most part.

The horns were actually pretty win.

Also, for a Slipknot fan to bash TBDM or Mastodon is just...

Ugh...

I mean, I listen to some core bands too, but come on!

[quote name='Dт. Михаи́л Ботви́нник PчD' timestamp='1322334765' post='5667250']
Bands like Slipknot and Metallica are pretty easy to transcribe as the motifs and riffs are clear musically.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dт. Михаи́л Ботви́нник PчD' timestamp='1322333268' post='5667168']
Oh yeah, and you can actually tell what notes their instruments are playing.
[/quote]
Wat

lol guys, Dт. Михаи́л Ботви́нник PчD's a troll. Responding to him is like trowing a bacon to an army of Vietnam soldier from the cold war era. He did the same thing last time on the metal thread.

Anyway, slipknot....yay?...

Slipknot have never amounted to anything except for tripe music for kids who are going through puberty. There is a very immature undertone to their music and lyrics. You know how you can listen to a band and catagorize them into a specific demographic; these guys fall into the 14 year old boy and younger section. You can literally walk into a party of a group of 14-15(not the scene crowd) years old and slipknot would be there..the music I mean. To them, it's heavy metal bro but to us...

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG6G4XBnvLQ&feature=related[/media][/center]

that's as brutal as they get....to my ears...don't know about you guys. Their fan base is annoying as well.

I like a few song, but I'm sick of people who
1.) Insult Slipknot fans because Slipknot is mainstream or "gay" or something like that .
2.) Say that Slipknot is the best band ever and all other music suck.

[quote name='KillSwitch the Maniac' timestamp='1322449147' post='5671416']
Slipknot have never amounted to anything except for tripe music for kids who are going through puberty. There is a very immature undertone to their music and lyrics. You know how you can listen to a band and catagorize them into a specific demographic; these guys fall into the 14 year old boy and younger section. You can literally walk into a party of a group of 14-15(not the scene crowd) years old and slipknot would be there..the music I mean. To them, it's heavy metal bro but to us...
[/quote]

Perfect example of a # 1.

[quote name='Lord_Cow_Cow' timestamp='1322459041' post='5671752']
1.) Insult Slipknot fans because Slipknot is mainstream or "gay" or something like that.

[b]I'm tired of people calling things gay that they find stupid in general. I insult that fans that feel they are superior to another because the other doesn't listen to Slipknot. For example: "How can you not like Slipknot?! They're so amazing, your music is so gay! You obviously don't know anything about music if you don't like Slipknot!"[/b]

[b]Look at the example I gave.[/b]
[/quote]

Slipknot will always be a pop band. People will love them, and that's fine. Not everyone has to listen to blackened progressive grindcore to be a "proper music fan." I've met Slipknot fans who were very knowledgeable about the more obscure sub-genres of metal.

I really hate people using the word "metal" to define weather something is good or bad. Metal is an extremely wide genre of music. Something isn't "more metal" than something else. If emos want to say that Slipknot is a metal band, fine. I guarantee that anyone who doesn't listen to metal would call Slipknot a metal band.

That being said, Slipknot is extremely overrated, but that's today's musical world. You just gotta right a few catchy hits and you're set.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322453901' post='5671575']
I don't really like Slipknot, but the few songs I listen to, I like because they're catchy, not because they're brutal metal.
[/quote]

[b]No...no my friend, you failed to understand me...or I didn't come out at it clearly enough.(whatever that means). What I meant was their fanbase religiously hail Slipknot as the most talented, heavy, brutal, angst or something-something... I also like Bullet For My Valentine because they're pretty catchy, well, just the first album. They went downhill ever since. The Number 12 looks like you are also pretty catchy but a bit more chaotic, just like slipknot's All Hope Is Gone album except it's a hell lot more better . And yes Limp Bizkit! they wrote the worst shits that's pretty catchy and oh yes their metal(cause nu-metal is in fact metal) and the hell, Gold Cobra is addictively catchy.[/b]

[quote name='Lord_Cow_Cow' timestamp='1322459041' post='5671752']
1.) Insult Slipknot fans because Slipknot is mainstream or "gay" or something like that .

[b]What? mainstream? if it's metal and it's mainstream, it suck/gay/lame/homosexual music for fool who like penis in their ears.[/b]
[b]No, most of us hate slipknot for making bad music and at the same time, they act as if they make great music or like to put on an elitist persona. Corey Taylor actually did went to a radio station and say that they hate the current metal scene and their new album are gonna blow the s*** out of everything. And by s***, he meant other music that's not made by them. Also, they did an interview with mtv cali and insult Underoath and Darkest Hour who was touring with them. Calling them pussy for not having any provoking thought or curses in their music before saying them "bands who thinks they play metal cause real metal are extreme.". The surprising thing is, the hell? I enjoy the interview cause it's fun to watch bands who made pretty catchy mediocre music insult 2 bands that are more talented and actually made good music. [/b]

[b]So duh, I despise their music and their annoying fanbase is just another fuel that burn up my hatred for them. They're not bad in any case, just that their songs aren't that good and I know a lot of other bands on par with slipknot's standard that made better songs. [/b]

[b]Don't worry though, it's still is fun to randomly crash a pg party and just get high or drunk and watch the 14-15/16 years old metalhead headbanging to slipknot. They'll probably grow up and start to listen to real metal, like Lamb Of God, Cradle Of Filth or Arch Enemy but would always cherish or thankful to slipknot for introducing them to metal..... [/b]
[b]Also, I do enjoy some metal bands that are mainstream or that gone mainstream like Mastodon(yes they are), Deftones, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Whitechaple. [/b]

[b]Of course their fanbase would say other music suck! Look at their lyrics [/b]

[center][b]You are wrong, f***ed, and overrated[/b][/center]
[center][b]I think I'm gonna be sick and it's your fault[/b][/center]
[center][b]This is the end of EVERYTHING[/b][/center]
[center][b]You are the end of EVERYTHING[/b][/center]

[b]yeah! Slipknot is trying to open their eyes to the real world and in real world, everything sucks. [/b]
[/quote]

It would be nice if someone would come here and proclaim slipknot suck and in a weird turn of event, hail Bring Me The Horizon as the best band ever. That would make my day!...to see a slipknot fanatic go up against a scene music fanatic...cause I need to know who's more annoying.

And please don't take it seriously, it's just my opinion, accompanied by some facts. If it ain't really facts than yeah, just my opinion yo.

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1322538177' post='5673597']
Actually agreed with John A., Killswitch and Death Metal.
Also, emos? Emo bands make more better music than slipknot. By emo, I mean real emo bands, not the scene garbage you can find in hot topic shop.
[/quote]

Please tell me you know what REAL emo is.

Like Algernon Cadwallager, Snowing (RIP :< ), Cap'n Jazz, etc.

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322538666' post='5673610']
Please tell me you know what REAL emo is.

Like Algernon Cadwallager, Snowing (RIP :< ), Cap'n Jazz, etc.
[/quote]

[b]1905[/b]
[b]A Case Of Grenada[/b]
[b]Amanda Woodward[/b]
[b]Ampere[/b]
[b]Angel Hair[/b]
[b]Antioch Arrow[/b]
[b]Arse Moreira[/b]
[b]Assfactor 4[/b]
[b]Aussit't Mort[/b]
[b]Balaclava[/b]
[b]Baron Noir[/b]
[b]Blacken the Skies[/b]
[b]Boa Narrow[/b]
[b]Born Dead Icons[/b]
[b]Breather Resist[/b]
[b]Bucket Full of Teeth[/b]
[b]Burnman[/b]
[b]Calvary[/b]
[b]Circle Takes the Square[/b]
[b]City of Caterpillar[/b]
[b]Clikatat Ikatowi[/b]
[b]Cobra Kai[/b]
[b]Conation[/b]
[b]Corn On Macabre[/b]
[b]Cost of An Arm[/b]
[b]Cowboys Became Folk Heroes[/b]
[b]Creation is Crucifixion[/b]
[b]Crestfallen[/b]
[b]Current[/b]
[b]Daitro[/b]
[b]Danse Macabre[/b]
[b]Dear Diary I Seem To Be Dead[/b]
[b]Die, Emperor Die![/b]
[b]Dispensing Of False Halos[/b]
[b]Efra[/b]
[b]Embrace[/b]
[b]Emo Summer[/b]
[b]Enoch Ardon[/b]
[b]Envy[/b]
[b]Evergreen[/b]
[b]Flashbulb Memory[/b]
[b]Former Members of Alfonsin[/b]
[b]Funeral Diner[/b]
[b]Get f***ed[/b]
[b]Gospel[/b]
[b]Harriet the Spy[/b]
[b]Heroin[/b]
[b]Hot Cross[/b]
[b]Hugs[/b]
[b]I Hate Myself[/b]
[b]Indian Summer[/b]
[b]I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook[/b]
[b]I Would Set Myself on Fire for You[/b]
[b]I, Robot[/b]
[b]Index for Potential Suicide[/b]
[b]Joan Of Arc[/b]
[b]Joshua Fit for Battle[/b]
[b]Kakistocracy[/b]
[b]The Khayembii Communique[/b]
[b]Kobayashi[/b]
[b]The Kodan Armada[/b]
[b]La Quiete[/b]
[b]Lee Marvin Computer Arm[/b]
[b]Life at These Speeds[/b]
[b]Light the Fuse and Run[/b]
[b]Louise Cyphre[/b]
[b]Love Like... Electrocution[/b]
[b]Love Lost But Not Forgotten[/b]
[b]Make Me[/b]
[b]Malady[/b]
[b]Mannequin[/b]
[b]Mary Reilly[/b]
[b]Mass Movement of the Moth[/b]
[b]Mayans[/b]
[b]Maxamillian Colby[/b]
[b]Memento Mori[/b]
[b]Moss Icon[/b]
[b]Neil Perry[/b]
[b]Off Minor[/b]
[b]Orchid[/b]
[b]Palatka[/b]
[b]Pg.99[/b]
[b]Phoenix Bodies[/b]
[b]Please Inform the Captain This is a Hijack[/b]
[b]Plunger[/b]
[b]Policy of Three[/b]
[b]Portrait[/b]
[b]Portraits of Past[/b]
[b]Pretty Faces[/b]
[b]Raein[/b]
[b]Rites of Spring[/b]
[b]Rinoa[/b]
[b]Ruhaeda[/b]
[b]Saetia[/b]
[b]Sakita Sarra[/b]
[b]Shikari[/b]
[b]Shotmaker[/b]
[b]Sinkthefucker[/b]
[b]Sl's3[/b]
[b]Sophora[/b]
[b]Stop It![/b]
[b]Suis la Lune[/b]
[b]Systral[/b]
[b]Tafkata[/b]
[b]Takaru[/b]
[b]Ten Grand/The Vidablue[/b]
[b]The Apoplexy Twist Orchestra[/b]
[b]The Avenging Disco Godfathers of Soul[/b]
[b]The Disease[/b]
[b]The Holy Shroud[/b]
[b]The Infarto, Scheisse![/b]
[b]The Spirit Of Versailles[/b]
[b]The State Secedes[/b]
[b]The Subways[/b]
[b]To Dreamo of Autumn[/b]
[b]Towers[/b]
[b]Transistor Transistor[/b]
[b]Turn Around Norman[/b]
[b]Twelve Hour Turn[/b]
[b]Uranus[/b]
[b]Usurp Synapse[/b]
[b]We Fly Our Kites at Night[/b]
[b]Whenallelsefails[/b]
[b]Wolves[/b]
[b]Wow, Owls![/b]
[b]Yage[/b]
[b]Yaphet Kotto[/b]
[b]You and I[/b]
[b]Zegota[/b]

Hope I didn't add any scene bands there. Also, some bands are screamo there but the two are basically the same thing since emo means emotional motivated hardcore/emotive hardcore. Just so this post didn't came out as out of topic post, just wanna say these bands are a better listen than slipknot.

The hell? Now that is what I call emo jackpot! And yes, they definitely make(or made) better music from slipknot.
Anyway, saw Pg.99 reunion show in Richmond, VA and it was awesome.

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322541482' post='5673662']
Most of those bands are [i]screamo [/i](i.e. Circle Takes the Square). [b]Screamo is derived from emo[/b], though, so I'll let it slide. ^_^ Especially since you seem to have a great taste in music.
[/quote]

Always believe that screamo is a sub genre of emo like metal have prog/mathcore, metalcore, sludge metal or like hardcore have post hardcore, hardcore punk etc...etc.. though the skramz community keep saying that emo/screamo are basically the same so anyone care to enlighten me about it? even though this is a slipknot thread(lol)

Archived