Slipknot

Tentacruel

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322541482' post='5673662']
Most of those bands are [i]screamo [/i](i.e. Circle Takes the Square). Screamo is derived from emo, though, so I'll let it slide. ^_^ Especially since you seem to have a great taste in music.
[/quote]
Thanks! I guess. Good to know that there's also someone else who enjoy metal also enjoy and know real emo/screamo bands.

[quote name='KillSwitch the Maniac' timestamp='1322562929' post='5673850']
The hell? Now that is what I call emo jackpot! And yes, they definitely make(or made) better music from slipknot.
Anyway, saw Pg.99 reunion show in Richmond, VA and it was awesome.

Always believe that screamo is a sub genre of emo like metal have prog/mathcore, metalcore, sludge metal or like hardcore have post hardcore, hardcore punk etc...etc.. though the skramz community keep saying that emo/screamo are basically the same so anyone care to enlighten me about it? even though this is a slipknot thread(lol)
[/quote]
I'll probably make a thread..probably. Kinda surprise that there's more people who enjoy metal also enjoy and know real emo/screamo music.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322572470' post='5673899']
Screamo is emo with louder guitars and yelling.

It gets a little weird when they start getting closer to metalcore. Some of the scene metalcore bands are very close to being screamo.

Anyway, Slipknot is Nu Metal anyway. Which is completely unrelated to either.
[/quote]

lol, never heard of any screamo/emo bands that sounds like a metalcore or any metalcore bands that sound's like screamo.
Show me.

anyway, do slipknot still consider themselves Nu Metal? I know they used to be nu metal and have a nu metal album but they sound pretty much like a straight up metal now, just like Deftones, who used to be Nu Metal. Linkin Park was Nu Metal and now their just your average rock band. Korn was too. the only Nu Metal I know that still play Nu metal is limp Bizkit.

[quote name='KillSwitch the Maniac' timestamp='1322491057' post='5672088']
[b]They'll probably grow up and start to listen to real metal, like Lamb Of God, Cradle Of Filth or Arch Enemy but would always cherish or thankful to slipknot for introducing them to metal..... [/b]
[/quote]
Lol, this is priceless. System Of A Down kinda did the same thing for me.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322598995' post='5674501']
Well, maybe not. I've heard some metalcoreish bands referred to as screamo by critics.

Like the Devil Wears Prada for instance.
[/quote]

LOL. NO.
LOL. NO.
LOL. f***. NO.

THIS is screamo:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nG4UrSoshQ[/media]

If you say TDWP is sounds like that, you are sadly mistaken. Don't always believe what critics say. They're often uneducated about real emo and screamo, since real emo is generally hailed as "lol u cut urself" when it's in reality probably the happiest music ever, and screamo is generally hailed as anything that involves screaming vocals, when it really isn't. Real screamo is derived from real emo. IMO, it doesn't always SOUND similar, but you can notice some very subtle differences if you study it closely.

It matters because it's ridiculously annoying to hear people call bands like Taking Back Sunday emo and bands like Asking Alexandria screamo.
It's horrible.
The worst part is, people always say "NO. YOU'RE SO STUPID YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUSIC."

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322693372' post='5677060']
And yes, TDWP sounds sort of like that sometimes if you don't get too nitpicky.
[/quote]

Ugh. I rarely get outwardly mad at people, but it's just comments like this that make me lose faith in human beings. I'm sorry if you're offended by this comment, but TDWP is NOT emo. They are metalcore, with absolutely no real influence from screamo. To say that they are even influenced by screamo is a horrible misconception.

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322693668' post='5677072']
make me lose faith in human beings
[/quote]
And it's comments like this that makes me fear the general stance of the internet. Really? Lose faith in human beings because they say that some metalcore bands sound similar to some screamo bands?

That's laughable.

[url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/plagues-r1183554/review"]http://www.allmusic....r1183554/review[/url]

Hip-hop music is incredibly diverse, but you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the various different styles. That doesn't make you a horrible human being.

Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, Deathcore, and some Metalcore would probably all sound the same to someone who doesn't listen to rock at all.

All those genres are sub-categories of Heavy Metal, which is a spin-off of Rock so-to-speak, which is/was a fusion of Pop and Blues. Music is all connected in one way or another. You're not offending anyone, but you are giving everyone more reason to never bring up metal at all in a conversation with you.

I've heard people call Nu Metal bands Death Metal, but it doesn't freaking matter because they don't listen to and they obviously wouldn't know the difference.

My original statement was

[i]Well, maybe not. I've heard some metalcoreish bands referred to as screamo by critics.[/i]

Not

[i]Devil Wears Prada is a screamo band. [/i]

Both have screaming, loud distorted guitars playing frantic hyper riffs, and up-beat off-shoots of death metal or hardcore punk vocals. With abstraction, two styles of music can be categorized together, but if you analyze something deeply enough you could make every freaking song it's own genre.

No, TDWP is not a screamo band, but because of the similarities they will often get referred to as such.

I don't usually rant like this, but you need to stop overreacting. It seriously makes you sound like a snob.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322695912' post='5677162']
Both have screaming, loud distorted guitars playing frantic hyper riffs, and up-beat off-shoots of death metal or hardcore punk vocals. With abstraction, two styles of music can be categorized together, but if you analyze something deeply enough you could make every freaking song it's own genre.
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Lemme start off by saying "lose faith in human beings" is a phrase I use often. An expression, if you will.

But the way you described that, is not screamo.
Screamo, by literal definition:
"[b]Screamo[/b], though used loosely to generally describe music that features [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamed_vocals"]screamed vocals[/url], is actually a musical subgenre of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk"]hardcore punk[/url] which predominantly evolved from [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo"]emo[/url], among other genres, in the early 1990s. The term "screamo" was initially applied to a more aggressive offshoot of emo that developed in San Diego in 1991, which used short songs that grafted "spastic intensity to willfully experimental dissonance and dynamics."

Screamo is not formed by vocals, or riffs. It's formed through influence from both hardcore punk and emo. Bands like TDWP has no punk influence, and if you heard a real emo song, you'd know that they are not. If a band is "hailed something by critics," that doesn't make it true. I figured most people would know better than that. Critics are human. There's error in humans. A lot of that error is about lack of knowledge, which is the case with anyone that deems metalcore-driven bands screamo. I do agree with the complexity of songs, however. But to group songs by similarities, TDWP and bands alike would not find the cut in the screamo world. Sure, there are vague similarities, but not really enough basis in the genre to group it with bands that are actually of the genre screamo.

Again, I apologize for my expression, and the ease of misunderstanding.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322695912' post='5677162']
All those genres are sub-categories of Heavy Metal, which is a spin-off of Rock so-to-speak, which is/was a fusion of Pop and Blues. Music is all connected in one way or another. You're not offending anyone, but you are giving everyone more reason to never bring up metal at all in a conversation with you.
[/quote]

Also, yes, they are connected one way or another, but does that really make them of the same genre? You wouldn't call General Surgery rock just because the genres date back to similar things. You wouldn't call Meshuggah metalcore just because they date back to similar things. And you sure as hell wouldn't call The Black Dahlia Murder rock-n-roll just because they have been influenced by and date back to similar things.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322696625' post='5677194']
It's fine, and just to clear one more thing up,

Is Fall Out Boy in any way emo? I keep hearing people say that but then again...
[/quote]

LOL NO.

Not at all, dude. Basically, here's my advice: if someone that's a normal functioning member of society calls something emo, it probably isn't. I know that sounds far fetched and, as you mentioned, snobby (which honestly, I admittedly am about music), but it's the truth, for the most part.
Fall Out Boy is basically a really popular punk band. Not pop-punk, but they're popular. There's [i]way [/i]better punk out there. My personal favorite being Black Flag.

[quote name='Smesh' timestamp='1322696795' post='5677203']
You know who's emo?

Me after reading this thread.
[/quote]

[s]You like Metallica. You have no say in the musical world.[/s]

/sarcastic snobbishness

But seriously. The misconceptions about emo and screamo are just annoying.

HERE'S some real emo for you:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugcoNVboeA[/media]

So unless you're ridiculously happy after reading this topic, meh.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322697013' post='5677214']
Are you sure they're not pop-punk? I don't know if they would be classified as just punk rock. That's like the same genre as the Sex Pistols. O_o
[/quote]

Punk rock and punk are actually different things.
But yeah, on second thought, they probably could be spun as pop-punk. By a bit of a stretch, yes, but pop-punk regardless.

[quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322697281' post='5677220']
So real emo is very punk-like it would seem. I think I got it now.

You know what, this is the Slipknot thread.

We should really just start a topic on Rock genre-thread.
[/quote]

Noooooo. Screamo is emo + punk basically. Emo really isn't 'like' anything. It just is.

But I agree. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been locked yet.

Archived