Emo/Screamo

Mr.Robot

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1322721753' post='5677980']
Today the term had been misused, for example

Mall Emo/MTV emo:
Emo: My Chemical Romance
Screamo: The Used

They believe that emo is basically rock bands with sad poppy lyrics and screamo is a heavier version of emo or any bands with screaming.

Scene Kids:
Emo: Escape The Fate
Screamo: Alesana

They believe that emo and screamo is any bands with long hair and write sad music.
[/quote]
^_^

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='I'm Riku you mad bro?' timestamp='1324240314' post='5715508']
As I said, people are allowed to have opinions. I'm speaking about New Wave Emo, which Hawthorne Heights OBVIOUSLY is. And Underoath(on there first 3 albums) are OBVIOUSLY screaming so back the f*** off.
[/quote]

Yes you are allowed to have opinion. We all do. But opinion are just opinions, it can be wrong or right unless there's facts in play in which your opinion is contradicting against, thus it can be proven wrong.

Anyway, @Riku, since you've already got pwn by Ryuku with the facts which I thought was awesome so a video would show it more clearly.

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eWQ-j70eT0[/media][/center]
This is what scene kids would consider screamo.

Hawthorne Heights first two album are post hardcore with pop punk element while their next two album are your run of the mill pop punk record. Underoath on the other hand is a metalcore band. I love Underoath but just because they screams doesn't mean you can lump them into screamo. Their first two album are metalcore with a lot influence of death metal while the third and last album with Dallas was your straight up metalcore record. The 3 albums with Spencer is also metalcore but with a lot of element of 90's post hardcore while their newest album sounds like Deftones with metalcore vocals and drums(which is not bad at all considering their more experimental than ever)

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUs2ODKk-Ic[/media][/center]
This is what a proper new wave emo/screamo (which is called skramz)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cobax' timestamp='1325369100' post='5741632']
in high school i told this dude that i like listen to slayer and he said "you listen to Screamo". What heck man, there is a different between screamo and what is not screamo, and slayer is not screamo
[/quote]
Good for you for knowing that slayer's not screamo.
Anyway, since you say that there's a different between screamo and what is not screamo, I wonder do you know what screamo music is.

well Slayer, may scream but only for the begining part of Angel of death. the rest is just tom araya sing with a mean voice.
Screamo, well i have not listen to a whole lot of screamo. but my friend listen to those kind of music.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnaRHqtrDQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnaRHqtrDQ[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1327176205' post='5774393']
Hey bros, bringing this back up because I've been needing a thread like this so I can find more bands in the genre, I just recently started listening to more of this stuff.
[/quote]

Have you listened to Circle Takes The Square, pg.99, etc. yet?
If not, they're awesome. One band I'd definitely recommend is The Sound of Animals Fighting (Chasing Suns is my favorite). They're very experimental, but still awesome.

[quote name='Ryūku' timestamp='1327176880' post='5774419']
Have you listened to Circle Takes The Square, pg.99, etc. yet?
If not, they're awesome. One band I'd definitely recommend is The Sound of Animals Fighting (Chasing Suns is my favorite). They're very experimental, but still awesome.
[/quote]

Just what you guys have posted by them, I'll download some stuff. I lean more towards the hardcore side, I love Gospel and Glassjaw and Frodus. I think Frodus is more post-hardcore than screamo though, at least with their last album.

I have an album by The Sound of Animals fighting, [i]The Tiger & the Duke[/i]. It doesn't really feel like a complete album at all, all the interludes are kind of pointless and annoying to me, but I really like the actual songs. I'll check out the one you recommended before I make a final decision though.

Chasing Suns is basically the song that people think of when they think of TSOAF.
I just like them because they have a really interesting sound, and AG is my idol. Also, Glassjaw is awesome. You're correct about Frodus, though. They lean towards post-hardcore. I'm personally not a huge fan of them, but I can listen without getting bored [i]that [/i]quickly.

I do enjoy their music, I just feel that album is a bit boring. More actual songs and less interludes would've been cool. Chasing Suns is pretty great though.

Anyone ever listened to Showbread? I feel they're in the screamo category, at least they used to be.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dKehd5B4Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dKehd5B4Y[/url]

Glad you like this gender as well Jester. Usually metalhead don't really know anything about emo/screamo but learning is part of life right?
Anyway, I like Frodus but they're not screamo at all.They were apart of the D.C post hardcore movement with bands such as Engine Down, Jawbox and The Dismemberment Plan while Glassjaw is no secret, their one of the most influential post hardcore band just like At-The Drive-In. Same goes with Showbread.

As for TSOAF, their awesome but their not related to screamo/emo at all. But do check out Jeer At Rome for was AG's screamo project before he joined Saosin.
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1Vtr1frsA[/media][/center]

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1327227762' post='5775462']
Glad you like this gender as well Jester. Usually metalhead don't really know anything about emo/screamo but learning is part of life right?
Anyway, I like Frodus but they're not screamo at all.They were apart of the D.C post hardcore movement with bands such as Engine Down, Jawbox and The Dismemberment Plan while Glassjaw is no secret, their one of the most influential post hardcore band just like At-The Drive-In. Same goes with Showbread.

As for TSOAF, their awesome but their not related to screamo/emo at all. But do check out Jeer At Rome for was AG's screamo project before he joined Saosin.

[/quote]

To be honest, I don't consider myself a metalhead. Most of the bands I really like in the genre are either really progressive or hardcore-influenced, or post-metal.

I like a lot of post-hardcore and hardcore, so I guess that stemmed off and led me here. Glad I found this thread ^_^

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1327274695' post='5776361']
Well not you directly but in general. Anyway, do you have any favorite band within this genre now?
[/quote]

Not quite, I haven't had time to sit down and listen to stuff for a long time. I'd already really liked [i]Gospel [/i]and [i]Glassjaw [/i]though. I also recently downloaded the self-titled [i]United Nations [/i]album, I really like them too.

Oh wait, Glassjaw isn't screamo...

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1327285243' post='5776679']
Raien sounds pretty sweet.

What's the line between scream/emo and post-hardcore? I feel like screamo/emo [b]has more of a hardcore punk influence...[/b]
[/quote]
You just answered your own question. But an example would be better, though I'm using mostly the 90's/modern pioneer for post hardcore bands as an example, so forgive me if you think they sound different from today's post hardcore .
Post Hardcore
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmdMNVyupMQ[/media]
Screamo/Emo/Skramz
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhs-sXr0VmU&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

Most post-hardcore I listen to is stuff like Alexisonfire, Frodus, Thursday, Thrice...the good stuff, haha.

Liked both songs a lot, I think Blood Brothers had a more interesting song structure, at least in the case of the examples you showed me. Orchid sounds to be what I think is deemed "powerviolence"?

Listened to a few more Orchid songs, they sounds pretty sweet. I'm gonna check out more of these bands.

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1327286617' post='5776701']
Most post-hardcore I listen to is stuff like Alexisonfire, Frodus, Thursday, Thrice...the good stuff, haha.

Liked both songs a lot, I think Blood Brothers had a more interesting song structure, at least in the case of the examples you showed me. Orchid sounds to be what I think is deemed "powerviolence"?

Listened to a few more Orchid songs, they sounds pretty sweet. I'm gonna check out more of these bands.
[/quote]
Thursday and Thrice are also consider as the modern pioneer of post hardcore.
Don't know much about powerviolence thought, so no comment on that.

[quote name='Ryūku' timestamp='1327286827' post='5776704']
Also, Phantom, would you consider Saetia screamo? I personally would, but I've heard people call them mixed things.
[/quote]
Yes. But their new band, Hot Cross (which I think is also screamo) was label as post hardcore or powerviolence from time to time.

[quote name='Phantom Stranger' timestamp='1327287330' post='5776716']
Thursday and Thrice are also consider as the modern pioneer of post hardcore.
Don't know much about powerviolence thought, so no comment on that.
[/quote]

Yup, I know that much. I think powerviolence is closer to grindcore? I know United Nations is labeled as such.

Archived