Pokemon Emerald

Anti-Apocryphal

There's probably been a pokemon topic made, but not specifically about Emerald. Okay, there probably had but still.

Anyways, if you haven't played the game already, here it is in a nutshell:

The player moves to the Hoenn Region, where they one day help out Professor Birch, who is attacked by a wild Zigzagoon. The player chooses one of three pokemon to fight, which becomes the player's trusty partner. With this new friend, the player is to go throughout the region of Hoenn to fill up the PokeDex, which is given to the player by Prof. Birch, and to also collect Gym Badges. However, not everything is peaceful. Two organizations known as Team Magma and Team Aqua fight to expand either the land (Team Magma) or the water (Team Aqua). In this, they collect the Red and Blue orbs to awaken the two ancient legends of the Hoenn Region to assist them. The player must stop these two teams by beating them in pokemon battles and awakening the third of the three, which will settle things once and for all.

Out of the general concept of things, I also want to discuss your (if you still play Emerald) pokemon teams and your current position in the game. Perhaps I could provide some tips to some FAQ.

Anyways, to start things off, I'm going to start with where I'm at and what I'm doing, along with my current team.

[spoiler=Future Paradise's Emerald]
Current position: Victory Road
What am I doing here? I'm training my pokemon for the Elite Four and Champion. I want to get all of them to at least Lv. 50 - Lv. 55.
Current party:
[spoiler=Earthquake]
HARIYAMA [FIGHTING-TYPE][LEVEL 37][THICK FAT]

NAUGHTY NATURE

(Met at Lv. 11)

HP: 167
ATT: 118
DEF: 56
SP. ATT: 40
SP. DEF: 48
SPEED: 48

ROCK SMASH
FAKE OUT
SAND-ATTACK
VITAL THROW[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Akashiya]
SWAMPERT [WATER/GROUND-TYPE][LEVEL 37][TORENT]

HASTY NATURE

(Met at Lv. 5)

HP: 126
ATT: 98
DEF: 72
SP. ATT: 80
SP. DEF: 75
SPEED: 67

TAKE DOWN
GROWL
MUD SHOT
DIVE[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Aggron]
AGGRON [STEEL/ROCK-TYPE][LEVEL 43][STURDY]

BRAVE NATURE

(Met at Lv. 42)

HP: 117
ATT: 112
DEF: 169
SP. ATT: 62
SP. DEF: 68
SPEED: 45

DRAGON CLAW
EARTHQUAKE
IRON TAIL
PROTECT[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Air]
GARDEVOIR [PSYCHIC-TYPE][LEVEL 38][TRACE]

LAX NATURE

(Met at Lv. 4)

HP: 106
ATT: 68
DEF: 66
SP. ATT: 111
SP. DEF: 89
SPEED: 83

CALM MIND
PSYCHIC
FLASH
DOUBLE TEAM[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Slash]
MANECTRIC [ELECTRIC-TYPE][LEVEL 41][STATIC]

LAX NATURE

(Met at Lv. 13)

HP: 114
ATT: 85
DEF: 74
SP. ATT: 103
SP. DEF: 51
SPEED: 101

QUICK ATTACK
THUNDER WAVE
THUNDERBOLT
STRENGTH[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Banner]
SWELLOW [NORMAL/FLYING-TYPE][LEVEL 39][GUTS]

QUIRKY NATURE

(Met at Lv. 5)

HP: 114
ATT: 87
DEF: 65
SP. ATT: 51
SP. DEF: 47
SPEED: 111

AERIAL ACE
DOUBLE TEAM
FLY
QUICK ATTACK[/spoiler]

And this one I'll use as soon as I'm done training one of the above.

[spoiler=Sighting]
GYARADOS [WATER/FLYING-TYPE][LEVEL 37][INTIMIDATE]

ADAMANT NATURE

(Met at Lv. 5)

HP:130
ATT: 117
DEF: 70
SP. ATT: 543
SP. DEF: 82
SPEED: 79

DRAGON RAGE
DIVE
WATERFALL
SURF[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Here are some comments from myself before I receive comments:

Sighting does have a majority of WATER moves. This is a bad habit I have- to shove HMs all on one PKMN.
My PKMN tend to have attacks that are their own type. This isn't good, but I can't always help this.

Ready? Well..I'm ready for discussion on my team, or the game itself.

They R/S/E series of pokémon games weren't that good, the original, G/S/C and B/W outclass them.

Emerald wasn't even the best out of those three, especially when you got near the end and could fly through it without any trouble without needing to have trained and worked towards the goal by simply having captured Rayquaza.

[quote name='Passion Pit' timestamp='1323639488' post='5701244']
They R/S/E series of pokémon games weren't that good, the original, G/S/C and B/W outclass them.

Emerald wasn't even the best out of those three, [b]especially when you got near the end and could fly through it without any trouble without needing to have trained and worked towards the goal by simply having captured Rayquaza.[/b]
[/quote]

That.

I fainted him the first time because flyinggreensnakethingewwgross.
Not to mention, in the trio of games you can very very easily rare candy farm in the beginning w/ Zigzagoons and have a Lvl 100 pokemon by the 3rd gym.
I still enjoyed the game itself, but I'm kinda 'meh' on it.

Emerald wasn't even the best out of those three, especially when you got near the end and could fly through it without any trouble without needing to have trained and worked towards the goal by simply having captured Rayquaza.
[/quote]

I agree with Emerald allowing early Rayquaza capture being a huge mistake.

That said, even now, I still think Hoenn as a region is better than the others so far. I can look at Kanto and Johto without nostalgia goggles due to when I started gaming (though I picked up Gold just before Ruby), and the regions are both rather boring and cramped with the exception of a few locations. Even FireRed and HeartGold didn't manage to fix that, though they did add a few more places of interest. Hoenn's sheer variation between the locations still remains unmatched.

[/quote]

Tp be honest, The originals where buggy and had completely flat out broken attacks(I.e: Bind in 1st gen was retarded) G/S/C, Yes. These where great. They took advantage of the hardware and overall was very excellent games. Then R/S/E came along and took the best of G/S/C and removed unneeded things whilst adding great new things to the gameplay(Abilities) D/P/PT followed the formula and further perfected it, and that's the reason they're my second favorite, apart from the fact I waited 5 YEARS, 5 f***ing YEARS for them. You can't believe how excited I was when I got them from game and also got the 2 styluses and the ds bag thing because I preordered them. HG/SS where, ok to say the least. They too used the base R/S/E and then added D/P/PT and it's own mechanics. B/W, Meh. Kyurem was the only pokemon I really liked from the new gen, the others seemed too forgettable which certianly wasn't the catch with gen 2,3 and 4.

I'm waiting for my GEN3 remakes now, Nintendo :P

[quote name='Shard' timestamp='1323680431' post='5702154']
Tp be honest, The originals where buggy and had completely flat out broken attacks(I.e: Bind in 1st gen was retarded) G/S/C, Yes. These where great. They took advantage of the hardware and overall was very excellent games. Then R/S/E came along and took the best of G/S/C and removed unneeded things whilst adding great new things to the gameplay(Abilities) D/P/PT followed the formula and further perfected it, and that's the reason they're my second favorite, apart from the fact I waited 5 YEARS, 5 f***ing YEARS for them. You can't believe how excited I was when I got them from game and also got the 2 styluses and the ds bag thing because I preordered them. HG/SS where, ok to say the least. They too used the base R/S/E and then added D/P/PT and it's own mechanics. B/W, Meh. Kyurem was the only pokemon I really liked from the new gen, the others seemed too forgettable which certianly wasn't the catch with gen 2,3 and 4.

I'm waiting for my GEN3 remakes now, Nintendo :P
[/quote]So your argument against the first game was that it was made during that time period. And that it's competitive battling system was bad because certain attacks were "broken"?

1. The original R/G/B/Y revolutionized how anyone could have possibly imagined a game on a handheld. The sheer volume in which that game possessed was astounding. Sure, there might have been a few glitches, but that's merely a result of being on the system it was on and being, like I said, just so f*cking massive. And if you're comparing it to R/S/E, then I can argue right with you, or do you not know the berry glitch?
2. Any arguments against the battling system is irrelevant because at that point it hardly mattered at all.
3. Speed. Ever since the first set of games, the overall speed of the game got slower... and sllloooowwwweeeer... and slllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwweeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, until B/W did something about it.

[quote name='Passion Pit' timestamp='1323700294' post='5702293']
2. Any arguments against the battling system is irrelevant because at that point it hardly mattered at all.
[/quote]

Your Pokemon Can't Move due to Bind!
Your Pokemon Fainted!

Bind was absolute bullshit in GEN1.
B/W isn't faster at all :/ what on earth are you talking about.

[quote name='Shard' timestamp='1323700977' post='5702301']
Bind was absolute bullshit in GEN1.
B/W isn't faster at all :/ what on earth are you talking about.
[/quote]1. It doesn't matter if it was bullshit, there wasn't any competetive battling. Or are you just angry that it was tough?

2. Have you battled?

[quote name='Passion Pit' timestamp='1323701077' post='5702303']
1. It doesn't matter if it was bullshit, there wasn't any competetive battling. Or are you just angry that it was tough?

2. Have you battled?
[/quote]

1. Bind frustrated me so much I usually turned the game off and tried again. What I'm trying to say is, there was stupid things wrong with the battle system.
2. Yes, but it seems the same speed to me.

[quote name='Passion Pit' timestamp='1323701583' post='5702313']
R/S/E, and even more, DPPt's battling system were extremely slow. It wasn't until BW that I could finally not get extremely frustrated with the amount of time it took to get in and out of a wild battle simply by running.
[/quote]

Repel?
Which reminds me, I need to play through emerald again... My B/W probably wants some Gen 3 Pokaymanz

Archived