Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Neo Galaxy' timestamp='1342470925' post='5980150']
I know you're not fond of it, but have you considered coming up with some of your own monsters? It's something I do because I personally enjoy it; I like to create a card(s) or series of cards for characters to use because it makes things different and exciting, but I can completely understand why some people are against it at the same time.
[/quote]

Hmm, thought about it. But thing is in your fics you have a mix of about half and half. To use released cards (I've sterred away from anime as much as possible) for 99.999999% of the time and then mae one or two up seems... dodgy.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1342472477' post='5980195']
I remember Ursala, evil bug lady in Armageddon who was eaten by Fygamore's Granadora after losing to Hikari. Anyway, I don't mind being someone you can rant to, I've got used to it at school anyway from a few of my friends, so rant as much as you want.
[/quote]

... Gandora? That's who that came across as...

Actually... it was just a cameo from a stray Red Eyes... but they do look similar, and that's better to be honest.

Anyway, getting my head down and progressing. I hope.

• 2 months later...

[b]Two months of silence later...[/b]

I'm baa-aack.

Miss me? :D

Those who actually read the Leaving/Returning thread or are otherwise in the know might have known I haven't been on the site for three weeks, mostly out of sheer embarrassment with my struggle to complete this thing. I said I was leaving... several times... and wouldn't come back until I was in a position to finish this story.

Ladies and gentleman, I am (somewhat) near that position.

So that means more spamming the status feed with adverts, more whinging about not having thirty reviews since I logged on an hour ago, more lamenting how Konami are deliberately out to sabotage my story by not producing new Numbers, and somewhere amount the hysterics and doom and gloom there may at times emerge some sembelence of a good story as it reaches its conclusion in the final arc; entitled [b]Daybreak[/b].

But before any of that, some catch up is needed to refresh everyones minds. And also an extra chapter, detailing the events of a day six years ago that has been frequently mentioned but not really explored in great detail. Arguably the day that this whole sorry mess started. Enjoy.

[spoiler=Extra Chapter 5][b]Six years earlier...[/b]

The silence in the lift shared by five suited executives was absolute as it trundled its way down into the earth. Words were not necessary or welcomed at a time like this; everything had been discussed and planned over and over again until the smallest detail was examined and the most insignificant little possibility for error had been eradicated. Besides, it was too late to back out now. Not that any of the five executives wanted to do such a foolish thing. This was the solution; the golden ticket to their ascension amongst the world’s most powerful and elite. So what of the cost? The ethics or the morality were an irrelevance, they didn’t make billions and fuel the most wealthy and powerful corporation that, whether the population realised it or not, controlled the country for the most part.

So the lift continued to descend in silence, until the lift juddered to a rough halt, there was a chime and a woman’s automated voice relaying to them as the doors slid open “Bottom floor. Welcome ladies and gentleman of the board... to Project Eve.”

The bottom basement was a cavernous laboratory space filled with whirring machines and the latest, if not entirely self-developed and unique, technology. The main operation space was overlooked by a surrounding balcony and a viewing gallery which housed a few more controls. The projects entire operational staff was here today, the first time that all six of them had been on shift at the same time, for this was the final stage. Secrecy had been utmost important yet a hindrance when the six, a collection of scientists and aids, had so far been kept from all meeting together at once and it had been made sure they were not to meet together in public out of working hours. The two lower ranking scientists kept themselves busy, whilst two female aids assisted as directed.

As for the two operational directors of the project itself, one was busy at the machine at the very centre of the lab. A large conical creation sticking out of the ground with several pumps and cables running to and from it, the short bushy headed man frowned and inputted a few notes into his digital work pad as he took the readings off a display. This sort of work wasn’t his forte; he was employed for the implication of a created artificial intelligence, and responsible for most of the computer work. The one in charge of the development of a perfect embryo, accelerating its development, and the overall total of the biological science side was his partner; a much younger American man who was stood around on another side of the machine, peering into a pod that stuck out from the main bulk. Inside that pod...

[i]Specimen Male[/i]
[i]Age: 19. Ethnicity: Japanese. Blood Type: B. [/i]

The ‘specimen male’ was asleep, as he had been for the past three months. Floating unconsciously in a liquid inside his prison like a puppet suspended awkwardly on strings, his dark hair messed by the fluid. He was naked except for some shorts for modesty and some goggles for his eyes, and his nose and mouth were covered by a mask connected to a tube that fed him oxygen and liquidated food substitute.

The American scientist grinned and pulled away from the glass he was looking at his specimen through. The specimen was still in a dream like state, completely unfeeling and unaware of where he really was and what he was a part of. All the better for everyone concerned. Sweeping his hair back out of his face slightly, the excited Doctor Hank Evos almost ran around to the other side to peer into the other pod and stare at the mother specimen.

[i]Specimen Female[/i]
[i]Age: 20. Ethnicity: British. Blood Type: B. [/i]

Again, the female specimen was floating in the strange liquid in an induced comatose state, her tall slender body almost doubling over and hanging awkwardly in position as if she was suspended entirely by the waist. Either that or she was somehow aware that her modesty was only protected to the bare minimum and was trying to protect herself from the man leering at her through the glass. Again she had a similar set of goggles and life mask providing her what she needed to stay alive, hiding her surely beautiful features. Well she would have to be beautiful; anything less would ill befit their overall goal. Such was their vanity.

Evos licked his lips unconsciously as he dragged himself from the pod, and made his way around to where the other director in the project was working at his D-Pad. The two specimen’s pods were connected to the main machine by a series of heavy duty cables and tubes, his creation humming quietly as it worked away. At the front of the machine overlooked by the viewing gallery above, there was a door that their final achievement was lying behind. She wasn’t finished yet, but they were close now. Evos peered through a viewing hole similar to the ones on the other pods, but there wasn’t much to see in there other than the workings of the artificial ‘womb’ they had created for her. Not yet anyway.

“Would you please calm down and stop around the place like a mad rabbit running?” Evos rolled his eyes as the other director scolded him, slipping back into the grammatical oddities of his native background as he sometimes did when excited or stressed by a problem. He apparently had finished typing in his notes, and was now monitoring the key life responses of the creation behind the door Evos was trying to look through. The readings were minimal, except for the occasional breath, and the pulse of a soft heartbeat.

“Come on Piotr, you know this is the realisation of my ambitions and life’s work. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to savour the moment?”

“Savour?” Piotr Zielinski asked. “Forgive me; the meaning of the word must change in between our two cultures. I have never used it to justify ogling a captive young woman.”

Anger flashed across the younger scientist’s face, but Piotr ignored him. He had other things on his mind, as he punched in the data into his D-Pad. The signs were good, which meant that things were progressing as well as could be hoped, but it guaranteed nothing more than that there was still a chance that this might work. Nothing like this could ever be guaranteed. Double checking the readings for the last time, Piotr inputted a few commands and summoned one of the aids that were free.

“Time check please. How are the others doing?”

“All the final tasks you have assigned have been completed” the aid replied. “Doctor Akuraito is just doing his last checks, and Doctor Tekiya is setting up the... the, er... next door. Preparing for implementation...”

The aid’s voice failed as her eyes trailed off in a direction over Piotr’s left shoulder, and honestly he couldn’t blame her. He knew full well what she was trying to tell him and why she couldn’t, and he didn’t agree with it either. Behind him was a door to an isolated room in which he had done as much work as in the main laboratory here, and his assistant Tekiya was inside there doing as he was told. Inside that room was a metal cot, and overhanging that cot was a large helmet; a redeveloped and highly advanced model of what Real Duel used to use for standard players back in the early days. Tekiya was setting up, as the aid said, for implementation. For the immediate implementation into the virtual world. “Thank you. And the time check? How long until the board arrives?”

“They are making their way down now sir.” Piotr thanked her and made to leave, but she grabbed his arm at the last moment. “Doctor, are we doing the right thing? Is what we’re doing okay?”

“It fine will be. Trust me” Piotr replied calmly. “This is a huge; possibly life changing development in the course of science and technology, and the girl will have a fine existence given to her. She looked after well will be.” The aid seemed doubtful still, forcing Piotr to sigh heavily and try again. “Everything is fine, believe me. What we are doing here is the right thing. All things that are new are scary and seem mad at first, but that’s the only way by which anything can move forward. Take faith in that.”

The aid nodded and dismissed herself, perhaps still no happier for Piotr’s words. Mopping his brow as she disappeared out of sight, he certainly felt no happier as he turned to Evos. “Alright, now you tell me. Is what we are doing the right thing?”

The doctor looked incredulous to be asked such a thing. “Are you seriously questioning my work, now of all times? You already said yourself all the justification for it. This is a momentous achievement, and you won’t say or do anything to ruin it now. It’s too late now. Now come, we must greet the board.”

The duo quickly made their way upstairs to the viewing gallery; Evos having positively flown up the stairs ahead of Zielinski’s trudging steps, and inside stood smartly to attention just in time as the lift opened and the five top executives overlooking the project stepped out. First out was of course the main instigator and overseer; the Honorary President of the company Shinawatra Taiyo himself. The elderly president stepped into the gallery, nodding curtly to the two as he walked straight over to the window to overlook proceedings below. Next out was his right hand man who Eve was the brainchild of; another director well in his sixties with slick grey hair and a trim beard, wringing his hands and ignoring the doctors completely as he stepped beside Shinawatra and started a hushed conversation with him.

Next came a younger, taller man who appeared from his darkened skin and the tattoo peeping out from under his jacket sleeve to be of a proud south seas tribal heritage; Doctor Zielinski believed he was a New Zealander and proud Maori descendant who’d travelled to Japan to work for Real Duel. He politely acknowledged the two doctors before joining the others. The other two were not so polite; a tall graceful looking woman with high cheekbones, styled and trimmed to the eyebrows and a haughty air, and a stout, swarthy looking man with flabby cheeks and sunken eyes seemingly poured into his cheap suit, glided and waddled respectively after their partners.

Whilst his associates were examining things for themselves, the President approached the doctors. “Well it’s almost time gentleman. How is it? Everything under control as planned?”

Piotr opened his mouth to speak, but Evos beat him to it. “Absolutely sir. Everything is ready to proceed as planned and set up for your go ahead. And might I just add sir, what a pleasure it has been to work for you on this exciting project and thank you for allowing me to be a part...”

“That’s quite enough grovelling Evos.” Shinawatra shot down the dismayed looking doctor with a casual wave. “However your words are very kind; and we all thank you for all your tireless work and attention throughout the duration of this project. It is a massive leap forward, and will bring joy to so many across the country and across Asia as we continue to expand thanks to this development. Now if everything is ready, I would like to proceed with the final stage.”

Like an excited puppy, Evos almost tripped over himself making his way over to the tannoy and putting himself on loudspeaker. “The final stage is about to proceed. All personnel please make their way off of the operational floor and into the waiting area. Thank you.”

Piotr could just see his man Tekiya making his way out of the other room at the announcement, and follow Akuraito and the two aids into the waiting area and break room situated under the viewing gallery. He couldn’t understand why, but he felt like he was about to vomit. Evos and the executives paid him no mind however, as the doctor stepped back in line and Shinawatra turned to his colleagues. He was standing next to the main operational panel overlooking the lab. Placing his hand on a scanner, the switchboard confirmed his identity with first a handprint, then with a quick retinal scan, before two metal plates slid apart to reveal a small switchboard panel, which had five small groves in it.

The panel accessible, Shinawatra turned back to his fellow board members again and addressed them. “Lady and gentleman, it is time. The future of this company will be changed in the next few minutes, thanks to one precious child. The future of virtual reality game-play, and interactive virtual world development, is riding on this. Miss Minami, if you would be so kind as to go first.”

The woman stepped forward, not giving away much in her snooty expression, and stood beside the President in front of the panel. As she did, she took a card from her pocket that was sealed in a small casing. Her personal key card; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Hierophant_of_Prophecy"]Magical Heirophant Heiron[/url]. Removing the card from its little casing she placed in one of the slots on the panel and stepped away, the switchboard lighting up around the card, before stepping back into line.

One by one, the others stepped forward and placed their personal card onto the panel. The swarthy little man; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Chronomaly_Crystal_Chrononaut"]OOPArts Crystal Alien[/url]. The young New Zealander; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Heroic_Champion_Excalibur"]Heroic Champion Excalibur[/url]. The old man setting forward, patting his partner on the shoulder before placing his [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gear_Gigant_X"]Geargiganto X[/url] card, and stepping back in line and wringing his hands in that irritating, excitable manner with a wide grin on his face. Finally the president himself took out his card; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gem-Knight_Pearl"]Gemknight Pearl[/url], and placed it into the fifth and final slot, and stepped back as the whole switchboard lit up and sealed itself off.

The next minute or two went very quickly. There was a lot of whirring from the machines below and a great deal of light emitted from the pod windows, as the whole thing went into overdrive. Piotr tugged and pulled at his beard; sure that it was all going to go horribly wrong. Evos watched it all with a smile of wonder at his crowning achievement, as did the five awestruck executives. The noise grew louder as the machine reached its max for a couple of seconds, everything that wasn’t bolted down was juddering and vibrating across the surfaces on which they lay and the light was reaching blinding levels...

...until after a minute the whirring died down, the light faded, and the shaking stopped.

The board executives exchanged a worried looks; not sure if that was supposed to be how things were meant to go or not. Nothing seemed immediately different; there were no obvious signs of success. Try as he might to hide it, even Evos was slightly pale and sweaty now. He approached the tannoy once again, and spoke into it at the second attempt.

“All clear. Open her up and report.”

His voice had lost all swagger now. After an overly long moment, one of the female aids appeared beneath them, trembling and pale as she looked back somewhere beneath them. Someone had clearly drawn the short straw, or been ganged up on by the other three to do the deed. She noticeably made a little prayer as she slowly approached the central pod, unlocked the hatch as she was instructed which slid away with a whoosh to reveal only darkness, and took a deep breath before looking and reaching inside. The view from the gallery was blocked as she did so, all they could do hope there was take a deep breath and hope.

“...............”

“...................”

“......................”

“..........................”

“..................................... waaah”

Everyone let their breath go at once as the small cry came back over the tannoy system. Piotr sank to his knees in relief, having to hold onto the control panel to stay up as the aid withdrew from the innards of the pod, and he could see cradled in her arms was the tiniest baby girl; her eyes closed, crying quietly and pushing against her. The girl had a small amount of blonde, almost white hair and looked extremely healthy from where he was standing with his limited knowledge, although he could clearly see one tell tale giveaway to her abnormality. With no umbilical cord, the girl had no belly button. But if the board used her as they desired, no-one on the outside would ever see her to be able to question it. The directors broke into applause as the aid looked up at them to reveal more of the baby, and shook hands with one another. President Shinawatra and the New Zealander made the effort to also shake the hands of the two doctors; Evos was back to his brash self, Piotr took his hand being shaken rather limply.

“Good work gentleman. You’ve done a fine thing.”

“Thank you sir. Shall we proceed with the implementation immediately?”

“Yes Evos, please relay that to your colleague. It is best if she is put in from the start.”

He had to be kidding right? Piotr opened his mouth to protest, mentioning something about the baby must be examined and checked as standard to make sure she was healthy and well before anything else. He was quickly shot down by the others as Evos approached the tannoy again, and told the woman holding the child to take her next door to be placed in the VDS. She seemed to share Piotr’s concerns and didn’t move at first, looking up at them all with a terrified expression. Amid much swearing Evos stomped his way down to do it himself and force her to hand the girl over. She argued, but eventually conceded, glumly handing the girl over to the doctor. As soon as she moved across, the little girl began screaming her lungs out, but Evos ignored her. With the assistance of his partner Akuraito he marched to the door on the gallery’s right, holding his prize high and giving Piotr and the executives one last look at their creation, before disappearing behind it.

Piotr stood numbly as he watched him go, almost leaping out of his skin as someone put a hand on his shoulder. It was President Shinawatra. “The girl will be given a full medical examination soon, but we do have to see how well she takes to virtual reality first. She is no good to us otherwise. Now then; now that the project is complete, we must work on the clear up.”

“First of all that means dealing with the parents.” The lady Minami stepped forward, glaring down at the two smaller pods with a cold glare. “There would be outcry from the naive public if this project became public. We can’t have those two ever blabbing about it. They must be disposed of.”

“Now now, is that really necessary Minami-san?” the New Zealander asked. “Those two have, knowingly or not, done a great thing for us. Their reward should not be death.”

The other three disagreed strongly, but mercifully the president agreed. “Silence. Gartland is right; we should not throw them away so heartlessly after their contribution to a great goal. However, they of course must never know the truth either. Zielinski, I want the two looked after and kept safe here while I work out how best to manage their future. They are not to be harmed in any way.”

“...thank you sir, that is a relief to hear.”

“Good.” There was a noise over the tannoy as Evos interrupted, saying that the girl had been placed in the VDS world, that Kodai had received her, and they were monitoring her status. “Thank you Evos. Now if we are all done about our business here, I wish to offer all of your team another round of thanks and congratulations, and leave you to it. Good day.”

On that note, the rest of the group turned to leave. Piotr fought with himself, not sure whether to dare ask as the President turned to follow them back into the lift, and ended up rather abruptly blurting out before he could stop himself. “Mr President?”

“Yes?”

“Forgive me, because I am relieved that the parents are being allowed to live. But there is no chance the girl will ever see them, and it is only natural one day she will want to know about her parents. Kodai is all well and good a carer for now, but she will want to know something more solid in the end. Have you made any plans for what happens then?”

The president scratched his chin in thought, it seemed he hadn’t planned for that, but he came up with an answer very quickly. “You are right. We must instil and maintain in her the belief that she is a special child born in the VDS world. So what I want you to do is create her a set of parents, or a pair of guardians to watch over her in their stead. Can you did this?”

“.... I will see what I can do.”

“Very good.” On that note, Shinawatra joined his colleagues in the lift, but held it open for another moment. “Oh yes, one more thing Doctor Zielinski. I was going to give the honour to Evos, but I think you deserve it more. I want you to be the one to name the child. Have a think about it and run your conclusion past me and Kodai first, but I think you should be the one to do it.”

“... Thank you sir.”

Still feeling strangely light headed and numb, Piotr bowed as the lift doors slid closed and took the executive group away.[/spoiler]

Hope everyone enjoyed that little re-introduction to the story. There will be another extra chapter, and an updated bios section, sometime over next week before we build up to the finale. Sorry again its taken so long, but I promise that it will be worth it in the end......

[spoiler=....]...

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come and see!" I looked, and there before me was a horse, fiery red. Sat atop it was a rider, carrying a large sword, given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other.

War is coming...[/spoiler]

Welcome back man :D

As for the extra chapter.... Nice one. Dark, gloomy. As it's nice get it into the light of day so to speak. I will reread it again at a time i am not tired, but Evos was involved in it? I didn't release that before, or is it only revealed now?

Looking forwards to daybreak, and hope you have everything sorted out. If not, you know who to possibly help you.

Oh yeah, once again welcome back.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1348350215' post='6029908']
Welcome back man :D

As for the extra chapter.... Nice one. Dark, gloomy. As it's nice get it into the light of day so to speak. I will reread it again at a time i am not tired, but Evos was involved in it? I didn't release that before, or is it only revealed now?

Looking forwards to daybreak, and hope you have everything sorted out. If not, you know who to possibly help you.

Oh yeah, once again welcome back.
[/quote]

Good to be back.

It was previously mentioned Evos was involved in the project, but not specifically in terms of a capacity/how directly. Same with Piotr.

Largely sorted. There's one or two little details that need sorting out, and one whopping pig sat right in the middle that is still spoiling the whole thing! But working on it.

[quote name='Archbaron Thor the Just' timestamp='1348351480' post='6029921']
Yay.
Nice, plotsy (I am going to pretend that is a word for now) extra chapter. Can't wait for the start of the final arc.
[/quote]

Sounds like a nice word plotsy. I like it.

Me neither. Written three chapters in the last two weeks, and have really enjoyed doing them.

Yes!

Now I have a legitimate reason to be checking the Creative Writing section. This is most good.

Liked the Extra Chapter, and very much looking forward to the advent of the first chapter of the new arc.

Of course, just cause I'll read anything of any quality at the moment doesn't mean you should slack, but I know you'll deliver. I'll be waiting.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1348359293' post='6030027']
Good to see you back at last. Extra chapter was interesting to read, and I'm looking forward to the next arc now. :)
[/quote]

Thanks man.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I think it looks good (and usually I'm curled up in the corner rocking back and forth saying its rubbish, so for me to actually feel positive about it then it must be good right?), so fingers crossed.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1348399470' post='6030254']
Yes!

Now I have a legitimate reason to be checking the Creative Writing section. This is most good.

Liked the Extra Chapter, and very much looking forward to the advent of the first chapter of the new arc.

Of course, just cause I'll read anything of any quality at the moment doesn't mean you should slack, but I know you'll deliver. I'll be waiting.
[/quote]

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Aww, but I wanted to slack :(

Kidding, I will keep working hard, still got a bit to do but it's coming together better than it was.

[quote name='Thunder Spark' timestamp='1348455731' post='6030727']
Definitely have to catch up on this very soon. Probably going to try and do that on Tuesday; I don't remember where I left off though.
[/quote]

I don't remember where you were either :(

Well after over two months of silence it might be worth backtracking and freshening up again anyway maybe? :x

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1348693845' post='6032762']
...I hadn't' even noticed this yet. And it's been two days. Wow...

Anyway, welcome back! This was a pretty awesome chapter, and it was most definately "plotsy" (Archbaron's a genius for that word, BTW)

Next time, I won't be two days late. Promise. Also, that was awesome. Felt I should say that again.
[/quote]

That's why I'm giving it plenty of time between extra chapters and actual arc start, so people have time to realise its back, catch up, refresh, etc. And thank you for your comments.

Well, I had to do the actual Project Eve eventually didn't I? It is kind of central to the plot, and it gives Evos a bit of a pop ahead of the forth arc, and Piotr and Shinawatra too. Plus I'm determined to shoehorn in as many Xyz monsters as possible (everyone remembers where Excalibur, Heiron, Geargitano and seperately Crystal Skeleton all appeared before right?) Originally Return of the Duelist was the cut-off point for included cards, but they've released some really good ones since then.

Speaking of, "that's only four of the archtypes released in Return of the Duelist" I hear you cry. "What happened to the fifth one"?

Well...

[spoiler=Extra Chapter 6][b]Four years earlier...[/b]

“Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, and children of all ages. Thank you for coming on this beautiful day to the opening of this fantastic community initiative; the brand new Ichikawa community centre!”

The crowd cheered as several balloons and streamers floated into the sunny April sky. Standing on the stage placed in front of the modern building built here as a youth activity and adult learning centre, the announcer proceeded with great gusto to thank sponsors who funded the project, the construction team, and everyone who had helped to make this possible. It was a grand project for the north suburb area of Tokyo; a building with top facilities for young people to meet, hang out and use sports courts, or join in with young adults in classes such as cookery, music, yoga, and of course duelling. The crowd continued to lap it up; the weather was glorious, there were stalls for food and games, and of course the event was just getting under way. The main opening event had yet to commence, and the man who’d be opening the centre and a very public instigator in its creation had just arrived and was coming on stage.

“And now, to cut the red ribbon on this magnificent new facility, please humbly join me in welcoming someone who hopes this will be the first of many community centres across Tokyo, and who has made this project come to life. He is the former East Asian Duel Monsters Grand Champion... Ageda... Junichi!”

The crowd burst into more applause as Junichi came on stage; the handsome young blonde waving and smiling who five years ago had indeed won the grand championship held by Real Duel Ltd. Last year he had elected to not defend his title as he focused on his political career in the PRJ Party as their finance secretary. Well that was the official line; cynics believed it had been more to do with him being unable to replicate his success in the tournaments since. Even today there were some in the crowd who rolled their eyes as he extravagantly took the mic, his business attire swapped for his trademark high collared navy duelling coat and gold D-Disk strapped to his arm, but there were more screaming and waving back trying to catch his eye. A few girls forced their way to the front, one cloaked individual quietly moving amongst them, while some older men went for hot dogs. To some, he was still an extremely talented duelist and champion. To others, a one off who was over-rated or never went on to fulfil his potential.

Beaming and waving to the crowd, Junichi bowed before making his address. “Thank you everyone for coming out on this glorious day. To see this level of support for this initiative is truly heartening and an inspiration, a true quality to see, especially with the amount of advance sign ups to classes I’ve seen. I myself definitely need to take advantage of the cookery class.” There was a murmur of amusement at his little joke, as Junichi accepted the scissors offered to him by the announcer and motioned him towards where the red ribbon could be seen. “I now declare this community centre... open.”

With another round of applause the tape was cut, photos were taken, and people began to make their way inside to look around. Junichi remained on the stage however as it began to transform; the lighting in each corner and lines glowing up under his feet switched on. This stage wasn’t just for his speech, it was for the showcase opening, as the announcer would explain to the remaining crowd and the group of youngsters standing at the front of them, each placing their decks into D-Disks provided by the centre.

“Now ladies and gentleman, Champion Ageda will be sticking around with us to oversee our little event. Eight lucky boys and girls have won the chance to compete in a duel monsters tournament here on this stage, the winner of which will receive a special promotional card from Real Duel, the rare and valuable Xyz monster [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Superdimensional_Robot_Galaxy_Destroyer"]Super Dimensional Robo Galaxy Destroyer[/url]!" The announcer brandished the prized rank ten Xyz monster, drawing ooh’s from the crowd. “Now without further ado, let us...”

[i]“That’s former champion.”[/i]

The announcer double took at being interrupted, as he and the surprised Junichi watched the speaker emerge from the front of the crowd. A woman dressed in a tanned hooded cloak that concealed most of her features had got to the front amongst the startled looking children, and without invitation was making her way on stage. On the other side of it Junichi’s security men were getting ready to go, but she bade them for calm herself. As she lifted her arm, she exposed her own simple D-Disk on her thin arm. The announcer struggled to recover. “My dear woman, what is the meaning of this interruption?!”

“My meaning? I thought that would be clear, but I guess I’ll have to spell it out” the woman airily replied, turning to Junichi. “Congratulations on your work, [i]former[/i] champion Ageda. However rather than sitting and watching the action, surely a more fitting way to open this centre would be for you to exhibit your own talents on this stage. You did come equipped after all...”

“Well, I didn’t really want to turn up in a stuffy old suit for this” he replied awkwardly. He could see his security signing to him to not proceed with this, but that was easy for them to do. Turning down a challenge in front of this crowd might be damaging for his image, unless he was clever with it. “Come on, today is for these kids, not for exhibiting my skills. I’m just here to relax and watch them duel.”

“Oh really? And I thought you liked talking about inspiration” the woman remarked. “Well what would be more inspiring for them for those kids to watch the former champion in action?”

Turning to the crowd for a reaction, the young duelists looked awestruck at first, but slowly regained themselves to cheer for Junichi. [i]‘Go on, you can beat her.’ ‘Show that creepy lady.’[/i] Junichi smiled back in a rather fragile way, not really appreciating their encouragement. The officials and his men all looked confused as to what to do, but the cloaked woman seemed serenely confident. Clearly she was pretty clever with words too. He could make out her smiling beneath the hood, as she withdrew from her pocket a small device and continued in a dark undertone unheard by the chanting crowd. “Come on, you [i]really[/i] don’t want to turn me down here.”

“What’s that?”

“Something that came into my possession that concerns you” the woman smirked, revealing some sort of USB device. “Or rather, something that you should find greatly concerning. Something you really don’t want me to make the contents of known. How about we raise the stakes and duel for this? You win, I’ll hand it over. I win, your political career and reputation as champion... will all be blown away.”

He didn’t know why, but Junichi swallowed. Something about this was definitely off, but walking away didn’t seem like a good option now. Hell, it wasn’t an option. Putting on a brave face, he took his D-Gazer from his jacket pocket. “Alright, I accept. Let’s open this place with a beautiful show of duelling.”

The woman smiled, pocketing the device and rolling back her cloak sleeve to reveal her D-Disk. The watching crowds mood was mixed with many hushed whispers and sideways glances, the people in and around the centre had also found out what was going on and were coming back to watch. The spring air rippled as everyone put on their D-Gazers, and the competitors with contrasting moods took their cards.

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing.’[/i]

“Duel!”

“Ladies first” the woman grinned, taking her sixth card. “I set one monster in defence mode.”

The horizontal image of a hidden card appeared in front of her, producing more muttering from the crowd, not that she seemed to care. “Then I place a card face down. Your move... champion.”

“Oh, a very defensive opening set of plays from the mysterious challenger!” The announcer had found his voice again, and was calling the match from the side of the stage. “How will Junichi react and tackle this unknown strategy?”

“That’s simple. The way I always do” Junichi grimaced, placing his hand to his deck. “By beating it, with the beautiful and devastating power I possess. By discarding two water attribute monsters from my hand, I special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mermail_Abyssmegalo"]Mermail Megaloabyss[/url]!"

With a gurgling snarl, a red skinned shark like creature covered in golden armour and brandishing a long sword made from bone with a serrated edge, burst onto the stage in a sea of bubbles. The crowd screamed in delight, as did the announcer as the shark roared again (Lv7, ATK 2400). “Oh my, Junichi responses with one of his most powerful monsters with his very first move!”

“I’m just getting started. When summoned by its own effect, Megaloabyss lets me add a spell or trap with ‘abyss’ in its name to my hand. Also, the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mermail_-_Abyssgunde"]Mermail Abyssgunde[/url] activates when discarded, letting me summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mermail_-_Abysspike"]Mermail Abysspike[/url] from my cemetery!”A blonde merman wearing silver gauntlets, chestplate and ramming spear appeared by Megaloabyss (Lv4, ATK 1600). “And when he’s summoned, I can discard the other Abysspike in my hand to add any level three or lower water monster to my hand.”

“Humph, impressive” remarked the cloaked woman as Junichi revealed a fish man creature armed with a harpoon gun, much to the crowds delight. “Not as impressed as those sheep are mind.”

“Well then, let’s see if this impresses you. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantean_Marksman"]Shooting Soldier of the Sea Emperor[/url]." The fishman warrior appeared briefly (Lv3, ATK 1400), before it sank back into a watery grave. “However by releasing it; I can use Megaloabyss’ effect. Now it can attack twice this turn.” More cheers, but still she scoffed at him. “You’ve seen the power of my Mermails, now let me introduce the power of the Sea Emperor. If Shooting Soldier is sent to the grave by a water monster’s effect, one face down card is destroyed.”

The warrior resurfaced for just a moment, long enough to aim and fire at the trap. The card exploded as the harpoon pierced it, mercifully unable to activate. “What skill! If Junichi can get past that face down monster, he has enough attack to successfully use his patented Atlantis Mermail one turn kill!”

Junichi gave the crowd a nod, but he was feeling far from celebratory. “I equip Abysspike with the equip magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Abysscale_-_Kraken"]Abysscale Armour Kraken[/url]. This gives him a four hundred attack and defence point boost, which isn’t strictly relevant. What is relevant is if your monster activates an effect on the field, I can send the armour to the cemetery to negate its activation and destroy it.” The holy silver armour now cladding out the merman was the potential clincher. He hoped (ATK 2000). “Now Megaloabyss, attack that monster!”

With a mighty sword swing, the shark creature lunged towards the defending monster as it revealed itself. The crowd gasped, as a dainty woman in traditional French maid outfit emerged from the card (Lv4, DEF 2000). She perished with a scream, her digital existence exploding in a million pixels as the blade cut through her, and the cloaked woman stepped back from the blast.

“When [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Marmamaid"]Madolche Marmamaid[/url] is flipped face up at any time, I can add a spell or trap in my cemetery back to my hand.” The woman smirked, much to the bemusement of the now vast crowd, as she reclaimed her destroyed card. “So I’ll be taking my [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Manners"]Madolche Manners[/url] back now thank you.”

“So, a Madolche deck. I’ve seen this set before” Junichi frowned. “So you intended to have Marmamaid protect you in order to use it to summon your key monster Puddingcess next turn, and then use the Manners trap to put it back in your deck and give her maximum power. A simple and effective strategy, but did you honestly think you could use it on me? Megaloabyss. Abysspike. Direct attack!”

The crowd held its breath as the two monsters went in for the critical strike. The stranger had been all talk and vanquished already. Junichi had won on his first turn. He was still up there with the greatest even now. The two creatures swung their blades at the defenceless woman and...

[i]“heh heh heh heh. I don’t think so...”[/i]

The crowd groaned as the two monsters were repelled and thrown back as their weapons clanged against the small pendulum shaped fiend that had emerged at the last moment. Junichi scowled at himself for not seeing it coming. "[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Fader"]Battle Fader[/url] huh? Should have known.”

“That’s right. If you were any sort of champion you would have” the woman sniggered. “You might have cast yourself as an expert by ‘seeing through my strategy’, but that was all just my backup plan. You think I haven’t seen you use your OTK before? Now you’ve wasted your resources falling into my trap.”

“Who are you?” Junichi demanded. The announcer, security personal and the spectators all begged the same question, but the woman ignored them all.

“It’s my turn. At least you got this part of my plan correct in your talk. I release Battle Fader to advance summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Puddingcess"]Madolche Puddingcess[/url]!"

The pendulum demon vanished, replaced by a young looking princess with blonde curls adorned with a tiara, and a pristine white dress with cake like features incorporated into the hem. She giggled to herself as she looked at the startled Junichi (Lv5, ATK 1800). Behind her, the woman was smiling more wickedly. “Battle Fader is banished when it leaves the field, so my cemetery has no monsters in it. Therefore Puddingcess receives an eight hundred point attack boost. Next I’ll activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mystical_Space_Typhoon"]Cyclone[/url] to destroy that armour and lower Abysspike’s attack points.” Junichi gulped as the merman’s power dropped. “Now attack Puddingcess, and in doing so her effect activates, destroying one other monster one the field!”

“Oh my goodness!” the announcer screamed to the stunned crowd as both Abysspike and Megaloabyss vanished in a beam of fairy light that passed over their man (LP 3800). “He may have only lost a few life points, but in one devastating attack, Junichi has lost both of his monsters!”

“I place two cards face down” the woman ended confidently. “What are you going to do now?”

[i]‘Good question’ [/i]Junichi thought as he drew his card.[i] ‘This isn’t just some showcase anymore. I really need to beat this woman and get that device and whatever’s on it.’[/i] Studying his drawn card, he had no monsters left, only three trap cards. [i]‘Bubble Bringer? Okay, hopefully that will buy me time until my next turn, then I can use this...’[/i]

“I set three cards. Turn end.”

“Is that all?” the woman scoffed as Junichi’s entire hand appeared face down on the field. “You can’t defend yourself against me. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Butlerusk"]Madolche Butlerusk[/url] to the field!” A smart looking butler in coat and tails appeared beside his ladyship (Lv4, ATK 1500). “When Butlerusk is summoned while I control another Madolche monster, I can add a field spell to my hand. Which I activate. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Chateau"]Madolche Chateau[/url]."

The crowd gasped as the lighting around the stage reflected the spell card against the ARV wall around them, transporting them to a world of confectionary delights. An entire mansion built entirely from cake and sweets, with castle like features such as the waffle wafer portcullis, sponge walls, and a pond filled with syrup, embraced them. A few of the Madolche princess’ pets roamed the scene, as the woman continued. “For starters, while my Chateau is in play, all Madolche monsters get a five hundred point attack boost (2300 and 2000 respectively). Now Puddingcess, direct attack!”

“I activate my trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Bubble_Bringer"]Bubble Bringer[/url]!" Junichi countered. “While this permanent trap is in play, level four and above monsters cannot attack directly...” He was cut off as the woman just laughed at him.

“Really? Such a pathetic attempt to stop me. I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Tea_Break"]Madolche Tea Break[/url]!" Because there are no monsters in my cemetery, I can negate the activation of one spell or trap card and return it to your hand.” Junichi swallowed as his trap was blown away, but he still had a chance. But then she wasn’t done. “Oh, and because Puddingcess is on the field when I activated Tea Break, I can destroy one other spell or trap on the field.”

To his dismay, the left trap exploded, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Abyssquall"]Abyssquall[/url]. His last desperate defence. Uninterrupted, the princess’ attack cut through his life points (LP 1500). [i]‘I’ve had it. I’ve lost.’[/i]

“And with that... I end my turn.”

Junichi wasn’t the only one to double take in surprise. The announcer choked back the ‘the challenger wins’ forming in the back of his throat, and a murmur of confusion rippled through the crowd, unable to work out why the butler had remained motionless. “But... why aren’t you attacking?”

“That’s simple” the woman crowed. Her voice had suddenly changed, to something much darker and more twisted. “I’m not letting you off this easy yet. I haven’t embarrassed you enough yet. I’m going to make you keep duelling, keep trying to struggle against this situation helplessly.”

As the woman continued to laugh at him, the crowd started to turn against her. Boos about her poor sportsmanship rang out, not that they fazed her. Junichi was likewise seething. His hands shook with anger as he took his draw. ‘[i]No one embarrasses me.[/i]’ “I draw.”

Another Abyssgunde, not good. “And immediately I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Reckless_Greed"]Reckless Greed[/url] trap card, drawing two cards.” He grimaced at the result. Another of his key monsters wasn’t helpful now, but he had one more chance. “Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Destruction"]Hand Obliteration[/url], forcing us both to discard all our cards and draw again.”

With a deep breath he took his last three cards, and his eyes lit up. They were good, with this... Not only that, the look on his opponent’s face had suddenly darkened, and from the ill look on her princess’ face he could guess why (ATK 1500). Viewing her cemetery on his D-Gazer confirmed it. ‘[i][url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Magileine"]Madolche Majoleine[/url][/i][i] got discarded and couldn’t return to the deck, lowering Puddincess' power. Awesome. Now then, let’s show this stuck up broad.’[/i]

“I use my second Abyssgunde’s effect to summon from my cemetery; bringing back Megaloabyss. Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Reborn"]Raise Dead[/url] to special summon the ruler of the ocean, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Poseidra%2C_the_Atlantean_Dragon"]Sea Emperor Dragon Poseidra[/url]!" A great azure dragon, snarling and bloodthirsty, appeared beside the shark man (Lv7, ATK 2800). “Next I activate my field spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lemuria%2C_the_Forgotten_City"]Forgotten Capital Lemuria[/url], then I overlay my two level seven monsters. Xyz summon!”

The chateau disappeared to be replaced by a great temple half submerged in water, into which the two monsters dived towards the swirling vortex opening beneath the surface. The crowd roared, as Junichi’s final resort came to surface. A great ruler, the Neptune of the deep, with the head of a man and lower body of a dragon, armed with his trident. “Beyond the crushing power of the sea. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mermail_-_Gaioabyss"]Mermail Gaioabyss[/url]!"

“With Lemuria on the field, Gaioabyss gains an additional two hundred attack points (Rk7, ATK 3000). That puts him out of the reach of your Puddingcess even if you activate that Manners trap.” Junichi smiled at her frustration. “Now I activate Gaioabyss’ effect! By detaching an overlay unit, all monsters on the field whose attack is lower than his are negated. So now I can safely attack!”

The princess cried helplessly as the great merman lanced it with the trident. The force of her demise sent shockwaves around the arena, drawing wild delight from the crowd as the woman stumbled (LP 2000). Junichi set his last card, but didn’t have to wait long to activate it as she drew. “Now I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Abysstrom"]Abysstrom[/url] trap. By sending Lemuria to the cemetery, your trap gets dragged down with it!”

The woman was shaking as her Manners trap card exploded, leaving him barely able to hear her whisper in reply. “How dare you. This ends now. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Madolche_Chouxvalier"]Madolche Chouxvalier[/url]."

A highwayman on a horse, brandishing a candy cane sword, appeared only momentarily (Lv4, ATK 1700) before it and the butler sank into her own overlay spiral. From it emerged in their stead the queen of Madolche, a monster Junichi knew the power of. Sat on a chocolaty throne and carrying a sceptre, the queen smiled and waved to the crowd (Rk4, ATK 2200). “Bow before me. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Madolche_Tiaramisu"]Queen Madolche Tiaramisu[/url]!"

“Oh no you don’t” roared Junichi, sensing the danger. “Gaioabyss can activate his effect during either players turn, detaching his last overlay unit to negate the effects of all monsters on the field with lower attack than himself!” The great merman roared as his effect activated.

“I activate the instant magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Forbidden_Garment"]Forbidden Garment[/url] from my hand” the woman roared back. “This lowers a monster’s attack by six hundred, and makes it immune to being targeted or destroyed by effects!”

“Oh my!” the announcer roared over everybody, just, as Gaioabyss’ attack went down (ATK 2200). “Both our duelists have summoned their ace monsters and their attack power is now a dead heat!”

“You know it’s over though” the woman sniggered just so Junichi could hear, and indeed he did. This time it was over. “Queen Madolche’s effect activates: returning up to two Madolche cards in the cemetery to my deck in order to return two of your cards to your deck. And this effect does not target or destroy.” There was silence as with a simple wave of her wand, the Mermail boss sank into the deep. “Now Tiaramisu, finish it!”

Junichi stood in shock as his life points vanished (LP 0). He couldn’t move or speak. Neither could any of the officials, or any of his stunned fans. The woman calmly deactivated her D-Disk and approached him, reaching into her pocket for the device to... hand it to him? She sniggered at his bemused reaction. “You should see this, it’s really great viewing. However, know this. I have a second copy. This USB is also fitted with a sensor that will alert me should it ever be wiped or destroyed. Do either, and I will release the other copy to the media. Understand?”

“... n-n-no” Junichi stuttered. “... I don’t understand why?”

The woman laughed again before walking away. “That’s simple. Because with the information on that USB hanging over your head, I own you now. And besides, it’s just too much fun!”

The woman submerged herself into the stunned crowd. Junichi’s security personnel belated jumped in after her, but by then she had disappeared. Instead the security team grabbed the stunned Junichi, bundled him off stage despite the officials protests and into the nearest company vehicle, and drove off; leaving the masses stunned and changed by what they had just witnessed.

Disguise thrown onto the back seat of her sports coupe, the recently appointed personnel manager of Real Duel Ltd sped away towards the outskirts of the city, brushing her auburn hair out of her eyes and smirking to herself as she drove to her boyfriend’s home. Her boyfriend being the shaven headed man in the passenger seat beside her.

“So now we have an influence in both major parties?” Murtagh asked.

“Absolutely baby” Asami replied, purring as he stroked her leg. “Now when your plan is ready, whoever is in government will be powerless to stop you. Soon, everything will be in place for your rise. And lucky little me will be by your side all the way.”[/spoiler]

Fun duel to write this was.

Hope everyone enjoyed it.

Yeah, so spread the word, this fic is coming back (*shakes fist Nelsen Muntz style* "Spread it!"). I can happily say that the god awful problematic chapter in the middle has finally been solved (just needs a detail or two amending and another proof read) and its golden, leaving me only three chapters to write...

[spoiler=...]...

When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, "Come and see!" Then another horse came out, the darkest black! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

Famine is coming...[/spoiler]

Well this explains some things, and I can honestly say the duel was very good. Love Mermails, and especially Megaloabyss.

Madolches were a surprise, especially given the person using them. I'm glad they found somewhere to be cool in 24. They're good but the idea of pudding related monsters determining the fate of the world makes me feel kinda odd.

Guess I'm glad no-one uses Doom Donuts, eh?

Oh and I think I've half figured out what your extra bits at the end mean. But I won't tell. Honest.

Awesome chapter.

And as people have metioned, explains lots, but also Mado's seemed a tad out of character.

And I think I can take a good guess at what the spoilers, but that would be cheating. :D

I must honestly say, I have missed having another good reason to check in on creative writing. It's been so lonely without this...

Agreed, great chapter as always, and i think i get the gist of the end segment as well. I won't spoil it though, even though that does look very familiar. Madolche vs Mermail was good, but there wasn't enough appearances by the Atlantean archetype in his deck. Good duel regardles, and I'm now looking forward to the next arc even more.

Four comments. Awesomeness.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1348767278' post='6033314']
Well this explains some things, and I can honestly say the duel was very good. Love Mermails, and especially Megaloabyss.

Madolches were a surprise, especially given the person using them. I'm glad they found somewhere to be cool in 24. They're good but the idea of pudding related monsters determining the fate of the world makes me feel kinda odd.

Guess I'm glad no-one uses Doom Donuts, eh?

Oh and I think I've half figured out what your extra bits at the end mean. But I won't tell. Honest.
[/quote]

[quote name='Archbaron Thor the Just' timestamp='1348768836' post='6033330']
My two new favorite archetypes duke it out? Awesomeness. Great extra chapter.
[/quote]

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1348776047' post='6033383']
Awesome chapter.

And as people have metioned, explains lots, but also Mado's seemed a tad out of character.

And I think I can take a good guess at what the spoilers, but that would be cheating. :D

I must honestly say, I have missed having another good reason to check in on creative writing. It's been so lonely without this...
[/quote]

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1348792052' post='6033550']
Agreed, great chapter as always, and i think i get the gist of the end segment as well. I won't spoil it though, even though that does look very familiar. Madolche vs Mermail was good, but there wasn't enough appearances by the Atlantean archetype in his deck. Good duel regardles, and I'm now looking forward to the next arc even more.
[/quote]

Regarding Madolche; I love them and wanted to get them in somewhere late on. My thinking was that I can't (this might just be my lack of knowledge) think of an archtype that relies so heavily on one monster (two now Tiaramisu got released) and based on a princess character who everyone else serves, my connection to Asami was sort of this 'the whole world revolves around me' thing. Besides, what do Gimmick Puppets use without Numbers?

As for Mermail/Atlantean, I'd have liked to have got more Atlanteans in there as well (was desperately trying to shoehorn Atlantean Roar but it just refused). But who's to say Junichi won't activate a D-Disk again eh?

Didn't realise it explained as much as you guys have all interpreted from it, but I guess it was a long time ago that I wrote and stuff.

As for the extra bits... I have no idea to what any of you are refering. I see no extra bit? What are you all on about? <_<

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1348878344' post='6034173']
The extra bit is the extra part in the ... spoiler at the bottom of the post with the chapter. That's what I was refering to, I'm not sure about everyone else.
[/quote]

Spoiler at the bottom of the post? What are you blithering on about man? There's a spoiler for the chapter, and that's all. I have no idea what you're all seeing that I'm not I really don't...

*changes topic as notices your avi*

Interesting...

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1348880438' post='6034207']
Another awesome chapter. But it was weird seeing Madolches...I have a feeling that cake deck is a lie.

*giggles madly*

I've been replaying Portal 2 after watching an LP of Portal 1 when I was bored. The reference had to be made. But that aside...that was a good duel. A strange duel, but a good one.
[/quote]

Has not played Portal and thus does not get reference, but appreciates praise nonetheless.

The cake was never a lie. I just ate it all.

It was delicious.

Archived