Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

Ok. I'm kind of new here as you noticed, but i have been a long time reader of this. And i have to say, its probably the third best thing i have ever read. (The best do happen to be Lord of the Rings and the Inheritance saga mostly). I would happily give my right arm, foot and a third of my left leg for even half of your talent.

So, my review.
I have to say from the off. I know this happened ages ago, but i found the Murtagh turns into a bad guy deal kind of... a let down. It was a massive what the hell moment I admit, but he had so little build up before hand that it was dulled slightly. Also, considering his namesake....

Your Characteriation is very good, each character seeming unique, and now none of them are steriotyped. Even Murtagh, just for his manipulative side. Number choice is good as well, espicially considering the fact that there haven't been many released recently. I commend you for only having made one up.

[spoiler='Spoiler']I'm calling Daiki fighting Murtagh in the end. Chaos Number fight becuase it would be awesome. Particularlly after the let down between Shark and Yuma. [/spoiler]

Favourite Character... Whilhelm :( Just becuase there aren't enough psycopaths in fiction. (I know he stopped being as much a psycopath, but i still consider him one.) Or Vladimir, becuase his journey throughout this has been in my book more intresting than anyone elses, becuase his goal was just different than everyone elses being there at the time. Plus, he is now a rider of the apocalypse and all that, and i so very much hope he comes back.

Least Favourite Character: Was tempted to say Hunter, but you gave him one of the best send offs i could think of. Now i would have to say Sakura, becuase she just hasn't done anything. She tried, and Clarissa demolished her efforts. Really, i hope that something good happens involving her, becuase it would a big shame otherwise.

Favourite Duel: Tag Duel. I am a huge fan of a lot of the old school deck types more than the newer ones, and it was nice to just show that old school can still demolish.

Least favourite: Either Garvan vs Scag since it seemed more like a roadbump than anything. Or Jin Vs Daiki. I admit, storywise it was really important (Having Dark Mist was both a shock and obvious. I was betting Dark Mist had been that voice that brought Vladmir back, but if you look at the anime, its a nice touch.), but really you could guess Jin summoning Machu Mach. It was almost built to kill Dark Mist. That and him throwing the duel for a man he had just meet seemed... odd.

Favourite moment: Seeing Murtagh being demolished by Methusilah, and then thinking with him out of the way it would be like taking candy from a baby. A baby guarded by a Dragon.

Least favourite moment: Jin having to be babysat by Kaneko. So much like Astral... At least now Jin is actually a good duelist.

To finish off, i have to say. Well done. You have made a masterpiece. I will forever be jealous of your writing talents. I will read and reply to all the new stuff as it comes out, so yes. You have gained another reader.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, lots of comments to come on to.

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1342030176' post='5974338']
I don't remember any dragon decks in Dead Zone O.O
Uh, magnificent chapter.
[/quote]

Takeshi Bando vs Jinrei Yenma - Turbo Duel - Second Arc finale. Bando used Darkblaze in his Flamvell deck in almost identical fashion to Murtagh, then sync'ed into something.

I only remebered because it was the first time I'd seen the card then, and I was like 'what the? what kind of level seven dragon is this?'

Thanking you.

[quote name='Neo Galaxy' timestamp='1342031719' post='5974362']
I couldn't really keep up with Dead Zone. I tried to, but I struggled. As it is I'm barely keeping up with my own Fic now, haha. Just felt I should leave some feedback since you go out of your way to do it for me, and plus this is a really good read.
[/quote]

Going to dedicate Sunday to catching up with D-Accel, Heroic Potential and The Jester.

Thanks dude, you know as much as anyone how much we lust for feedback. Mind you the level of which has really picked up around here, especially with...

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1342044914' post='5974591']
Ok. I'm kind of new here as you noticed, but i have been a long time reader of this. And i have to say, its probably the third best thing i have ever read. (The best do happen to be Lord of the Rings and the Inheritance saga mostly). I would happily give my right arm, foot and a third of my left leg for even half of your talent.

So, my review.
I have to say from the off. I know this happened ages ago, but i found the Murtagh turns into a bad guy deal kind of... a let down. It was a massive what the hell moment I admit, but he had so little build up before hand that it was dulled slightly. Also, considering his namesake....

Your Characteriation is very good, each character seeming unique, and now none of them are steriotyped. Even Murtagh, just for his manipulative side. Number choice is good as well, espicially considering the fact that there haven't been many released recently. I commend you for only having made one up.

[spoiler='Spoiler']I'm calling Daiki fighting Murtagh in the end. Chaos Number fight becuase it would be awesome. Particularlly after the let down between Shark and Yuma. [/spoiler]

Favourite Character... Whilhelm :( Just becuase there aren't enough psycopaths in fiction. (I know he stopped being as much a psycopath, but i still consider him one.) Or Vladimir, becuase his journey throughout this has been in my book more intresting than anyone elses, becuase his goal was just different than everyone elses being there at the time. Plus, he is now a rider of the apocalypse and all that, and i so very much hope he comes back.

Least Favourite Character: Was tempted to say Hunter, but you gave him one of the best send offs i could think of. Now i would have to say Sakura, becuase she just hasn't done anything. She tried, and Clarissa demolished her efforts. Really, i hope that something good happens involving her, becuase it would a big shame otherwise.

Favourite Duel: Tag Duel. I am a huge fan of a lot of the old school deck types more than the newer ones, and it was nice to just show that old school can still demolish.

Least favourite: Either Garvan vs Scag since it seemed more like a roadbump than anything. Or Jin Vs Daiki. I admit, storywise it was really important (Having Dark Mist was both a shock and obvious. I was betting Dark Mist had been that voice that brought Vladmir back, but if you look at the anime, its a nice touch.), but really you could guess Jin summoning Machu Mach. It was almost built to kill Dark Mist. That and him throwing the duel for a man he had just meet seemed... odd.

Favourite moment: Seeing Murtagh being demolished by Methusilah, and then thinking with him out of the way it would be like taking candy from a baby. A baby guarded by a Dragon.

Least favourite moment: Jin having to be babysat by Kaneko. So much like Astral... At least now Jin is actually a good duelist.

To finish off, i have to say. Well done. You have made a masterpiece. I will forever be jealous of your writing talents. I will read and reply to all the new stuff as it comes out, so yes. You have gained another reader.
[/quote]

... well hello and thank you very much, that is very kind of you to give such a thorugh review of it all and say such nice things. (I'm a big fan of Inheritance too, which is probably obvious). Will address a few points:

Fair enough I could/should have given Murtagh more screen time before arc two finale. Wanted his arrival as a big bad to be all 'surprise' as he might probably say it himself, but not to an 'oh wut?' extent as you felt it was. Given how much rubbish filler there was in early chapters I had space to give him time as well. Darn. As for his namesake, I got pissed with how under exposed Murtagh was in the cycle, plus it was a badass name and was chosen to fit already chosen deck.

Thanks, had less chance to go nuts with characters like I have in past given we're in real world settings for most part, so that's probably made me work harder on their personalities without realising. Maybe, I dunno I just write stuff that I think is cool and hope others think so too :D

Numbers I will address after the next chapter.

I might have said already: but Vladimir was originally just a one time jobber for Orion. He would have gone into severe coma and his involvement would have been done by arc one. So that he's now gone on from that first role is probably why many people seem to like him (even if his character is a bit obnoxious, but he's kinda meant to be). Wilhelm was brilliant. A psycho we all loved in the end, who made so many snide remarks, I'll miss him. Something good will happen with Sakura, think everyone will like what's in store there.

Pretty much agree on the weaker duels. Garvan vs Scag was kinda nice in terms of actual moves IMO and its finish (how ironic the last two monsters Garvan summoned were made me grin), it was just that so much of it was taken from the anime and it was, all said and done, a glorified squash match. Jin vs Daiki again action wise wasn't too bad, but ugh, major dip in story. Originally I'd have liked Jin to have a forth Number to use there, but again running out. Duel I'm least happy with from a purely duel moves perspective is actually Natsumi vs Daiki, but moves are secondary I guess.

Thank you once again, another one to what seems to be a fair number now. Hopefully the arc finale will meet and surpass expectations.

[quote name='Kyng' timestamp='1342190144' post='5976491']
As requested, your post; now you're not double posting, so go ahead and post the Season Finale.
[/quote]

So I get a random spammer in between? :lol: Just kidding, sorry I just don't like double posting. Appreciate it but don't get yourself in trouble just for me being weird.

Thank you everyone whose commented on the last couple of chapters, really encouraging that things have really picked up around here. :) I really appreciate any comment, positive or negative, from any member. Really if you ever want to say something, just say it.

So... the time has finally arrived.

Ladies and gentleman.

Here it is.

The season three finale... is here.

[spoiler=Chapter 18:2]Storm clouds gathered over the virtual and real worlds as the battles raged on. Lightning forked the skies over Tokyo as Hideo and his guests sat in silence to the thunderstorm, staring at each other as they waited for Kenji to return. Rain was starting to fall over the mountains as Baron’s agents fought through the flames and explosions as they stormed the factory that was Murtagh’s base, gunshot fire rife in the air as they battled against his guards. At an air base on the east coast, two fighter jets rolled down the runaway and took off into the stormy skies, missiles at the ready as they set their co-ordinates to the Gunma region. Across the rest of Asia, the storm continued to build over the nearer nations, spreading its reach over the darkened land, whilst the rest of the world watched tentatively on from afar. Under the darkening shades of red and violet that rippled across the polar skies the battle royal continued, as Jin overlaid his faithful Mainspring monsters [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Dog"]Dog[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind-Up_Soldier"]Soldier[/url] and summoned [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_12:_Crimson_Shadow_Armor_Ninja"]Number 12: Armoured Ninja - Crimson Shadow[/url]; the ninja joining his ally Dai in this fight as it flew up beside Aspiring Emperor Hope. They faced off against Garvan and his Terabyte, before Jin set a card and let the woman Izura begin her own; the last to act in this six way duel. Clarissa and Asami watched on, waiting to summon monsters to rip each other apart with, whilst on the sidelines Natsumi, Rokuro and Sakura could do nothing but hope for their comrades and gaze at the gateway blocked off by this gang. On the other side of that stone gate and past its glowing passage, Kaneko and Murtagh continued their standoff, the little girl staring misty eyed and opened mouth at the ally her maniacal adversary had imprisoned before her, Galaxy Eyes flexing its muscles as it loomed over the trapped Shark Drake. And from another area sealed far beyond even them, a knight in pale colourless armour sat on his throne with his staff resting across his knees, with his brothers War and Famine stood beside him. In the gloom away from them, the shadowy outline of a forth figure could only just be made out against the darkness, perhaps he was watching as the others did as the worlds before them descended into chaos.

The end was coming...

A smart rap at the door focused all four’s attention to the office door, Tarao’s dark eyes narrowing as he prepared to launch into his tirade of accusations. Whilst beneath his desk Hideo clasped his hands and made a silent prayer in his head, as the assistant opened the door from the outside to let Kenji in. The young finance minister had to sidestep through the door, due to the tray of coffee cups in one hand, and the boxes under his other arm. The Ageda’s blinked as he looked at them for a long and rather surreal moment, before with a shrug he walked over to Mai.

“Okay Mai, here’s your decaf, along with one Hawaiian.” Mai took one of the boxes and a cup from the rack, allowing Kenji to move onto the stunned looking prime minister. “And here’s your coffee sir, along with the extra cheese and tomato. Sorry I took so long” he added, positioning himself between the intruders and the still flabbergasted Hideo. He could have sworn he gave him the smallest wink. “Like you said, there weren’t many places open.”

“Oh... oh yes, thank you Fujita-san” he managed to force his voice into working, accepting the top box and coffee.
Kenji smiled before making his way back to his own desk, taking a sip of his coffee and bearing no immediate concern for the two visitors staring at him. “I must apologise gentleman, I didn’t realise you were coming over.” He paused to address the stunned Tarao and Junichi whilst opening his own meal. “I’d have got you something if I’d have known. Still, pepperoni?”

“Pepper... bah!” Tarao fumed as Kenji offered him a slice, striking the arm of his chair with a shaky fist. “I thought... damn it, how can you all just sit here eating bloody pizza while this nation you claim to love so much is in the grip of a major terrorist threat?”

The speed with which he had managed to change tack was impressive Hideo thought, but desperate. “We all need to eat to keep going for so long Ageda-san, and be able to see this thing out until the end. It’s hardly like I’ve broken the fiddles out. Now was there anything else you wanted?”

“You! You!” Tarao just mouthed as he ran out of words in his indignation, gulping air like a rather swarthy-looking fish out of water as he looked Kenji up and down, trying to see something he could accuse him of. Eventually he came up with nothing, and stormed off. “Don’t think this is over Hideo. Come on Junichi.”

Junichi did stand, but instead of following his father he approached Kenji. The minister did not react and continued to sit there, mocking him. Well he would get him to react and force a confession. In a swift motion he grabbed Kenji by the scruff of his shirt and lifted him up, making him choke slightly on his mouthful of pizza. “No way. I know you broke into my flat and stole from me, and I want those items returned...”

“I said come on Junichi!”

There was a nerve-racking pause as Junichi fought with himself as to whether to obey or whether, having lined up a fist, to punch Kenji in the face. The others watched unsure of what he would do, Tarao visibly fuming from the doorway. Eventually with a scowl, he let him go and came to his father’s heel, walking past him and booting the office doors open without a further word. With a furious last glance at the group, Tarao followed on. “When I find out you’re behind this, I will make sure you will suffer.”

Darting over and making absolutely sure that the assistant outside had closed the doors and that the Ageda’s were gone, Hideo let out the long sigh he had been holding. Behind him, Kenji and Mai were making sure that they hadn’t left any sort of listening device where they’d sat. “How did you know?”

“I called Kenji on my laptop as soon as the Ageda’s walked in and put him on loudspeaker” Mai answered with a sly grin. “He heard every word, and knew what to do to keep our cover.”

Hideo looked between the pair of them in amazement at their ability to do that. “I hate all of this skulduggery, but I suppose it was necessary. Thank you, both of you. Now Kenji, how did things go with what you actually went out for?”

“Our man said infiltrating pretty boy’s flat was easier than he expected” Kenji replied as they sat around the minister’s desk, whilst he took some items from his bag. “He managed to give his study a good search before he had to leave, but he was confident in that he found exactly what we need. I’ve arranged for the agencies payment to be made most discreetly, of course.” Given the expression Hideo gave him, the money was the least of his concerns. Indeed he knew with Hideo’s conscious he wouldn’t want to know the exact details of how these things were obtained, given his reluctance to use such tactics to begin with. Scrambling through his bag, he found what he had been given. Their golden ticket, in the form of a small USB device that he showed to the others puzzled look.

“What’s on it?” Hideo asked.

“Don’t know until we look at it. Must be pretty important though, given how it was hidden away most securely, and how Tarao just walked away rather than promised his own announcement. We must be holding something Junichi doesn’t want anyone to know.” Kenji opened his laptop. “So let’s take a look.”

...02:33:15...

Pressing against the bars of its holding cell, Shark Drake looked forlornly down at the little girl staring back at it. She was just stood there watching it, swaying slightly and oblivious to the world around her and Murtagh standing beneath it laughing at her (LP 350). “What are you going to do now Kaneko? Do you think you can attack the monster that failed to protect your beloved sensei? You think you can strike with me the anger he tried to attack me with?”

If Kaneko wasn’t angry and upset enough already, that could easily be solved. The prison bars gave off a horrible purple glow and Shark Drake screamed in pain, making her cry out in shock (LP 2600). “Stop it! You’re hurting him.”

“Yeah I am. What are you going to do about it?” the dragon user chuckled. “Leave it to suffer, or attack it? The only way you’re going to be able to get to me is to have Galaxy Eyes to attack it. What happened to making me pay for what I’d done to all your precious friends in your world and stopping me from taking over and fulfilling my destiny? Yet you’re put off by the thought of having to sacrifice your friend and a part of you to do it. If you don’t think you can’t attack it, why don’t you just concede?”

[i]‘What do I do? Murtagh keeps trying to mess with my head with all his words about me and my friends. He’s trying to confuse me and blackmail me into not attacking him. I can’t let him.’ [/i]It was all well and good realising that, but it didn’t make attacking her helpless friend, the extension of herself and physical form of her own emotions, any easier at it cast its large yellow eye down at her. She could feel her own eyes brimming with tears as she looked up at it. The last time she had seen Shark Drake, Murtagh had forced it to slaughter a small boy, just a randomly selected victim who was trapped in the VDS and was unfortunate to wander into his path, in an attempt to get to her. Whilst she had hidden herself away. And before that, she had watched the dragons capture, how Murtagh had used Big Eye to snatch it away from Methuselah sensei, and attacked him with it. How she had been unable to intervene when he...

[i]‘Kaneko...’[/i]

The dark voice that echoed in her head startled her, before she realised her was communicating with her telepathically. [i]‘Sharkey...?’[/i]

[i]‘Kaneko!’[/i] Indeed it was Shark Drake speaking, as the beast growled and rattled its cage. [i]‘Save me!’[/i]

[i]‘Sharkey! What do I do? I can’t...’[/i] Kaneko cried as the bars gave off their purple aura and shocked Shark Drake again, making it cry in pain. [i]‘I can’t attack you as well. I don’t know what to do.’[/i]

[i]‘You must attack me’[/i] Shark Drake replied, its voiceless growl was a lot weaker after its second shock. [i]‘You have to defeat me and stop Murtagh. He has corrupted the other Numbers, and will do me as well. I’m weakened... I can’t last out his control much longer. You must free us from him. Please... save us!’[/i]

Another shock from the cage engulfed the trapped dragon, making it writhe and snarl. Murtagh just watched with a sick grin between it and her as she pleaded with it to be okay. [i]‘Sharkey? Sharkey!’[/i]

The reply came with a bloody roar of anger as the dragon thrashed wildly against its prison, Kaneko swallowed as it eyes snapped wide open to reveal they had turned from yellow to blood red. Shark Drake was gone. “I’m sorry. Galaxy Eyes, attack Shark Drake!” Above her the luminous dragon charged its high energy attack. “Sorry Murtagh, but this attempt at control won’t work. I know that a monster summoned by Cursed Prison has all of its effects negated; therefore Shark Drake can now be destroyed by the attack a non-Number. Photon Stream!”

Releasing its attack, Shark Drake screamed in pain as the prison exploded in a blaze of white light, leaving Murtagh coughing and spluttering in the billowing smoke that engulfed him. Now he was defenceless, this was her chance. “Now Photon Cerberus, attack Murtagh directly!”

The hound leapt for him, but Murtagh recovered and reacted quickly. “Damn it, so you summoned the guts to attack your supposed friend. How desperate we become under threat. But did you really think that I wouldn’t have a backup plan?” Indeed he had, as before the hound could reach its target than the small pendulum shaped fiend [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Fader"]Battle Fader[/url] was floating through the air in front of him, repelling it and stopping Kaneko again.

“I’m doing what I have to do to stop you. You can try and hide behind my friends and manipulate me all you want, but it won’t work now. I end my turn.”

“Humph, you can hide behind your ideals all you want little girl” Murtagh retorted as he drew his own card. “But I will break them. It won’t be difficult; you have no idea what you’re fighting for or why. It’s because you’ve been brain-washed by those controlling you, but don’t worry, I’ll set you free soon.” Kaneko gulped, baffled by his words, as Murtagh simply grinned at her as he held his other card out. “And I will do it now. By releasing Battle Fader, I can advance summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Material_Dragon"]Material Dragon[/url]."

Battle Fader vanished, in its place appeared a slender golden dragon (Lv6, ATK 2400). “Next I activate my face down [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Haunted"]Cry of the Living Dead[/url], to summon the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lightpulsar_Dragon"]Lightpulsar Dragon[/url] I sent to the cemetery on my first turn.” The magnificent white and blue dragon burst from the earth and soared overhead, before lowering to a level with the golden dragon and turning to sparks (Lv6, ATK 2500). Their souls spiralled into the vortex beneath them that erupted with volcanic power, Murtagh roaring over the noise whilst clutching his forearm that glowed with the Numbers mark. “This will end it! I Xyz summon the great juggernaut of destruction!”

The vortex exploded, before a large volcano shaped seal rose into the starry sky, pulsing with power. From the seal a mighty weapon revealed itself; its body growing out of the rocky surface at an alarming rate, its limbs burning like blazing coals whilst the seal formed most of the core and head. Within a few seconds the earth shook as the giant’s feet hit the ground and the juggernaut indeed towered over the scene, by far one of the largest Numbers of her creation. A mountainous left shoulder gave it an unbalanced look that was counterweighed by the huge hammer of a right fist, whilst the number six was emblazoned across the ring wrapped around its chest. Murtagh looked up at his mighty weapon with a fit of increased insanity. “Behold, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_6:_Chronomoly_Atlando"]Number 6: OOPArts Atlanthal[/url]!” (Rk6, ATK 2600).

“That... might be a problem” Kaneko gulped.

“You should know. Atlanthal’s effect activates” Murtagh roared. “When summoned; it can equip itself with a Number monster in my cemetery, for which I choose your precious Shark Drake. Then Atlanthal gains attack points equal to half those of the equipped monster. Giving him a devastating total of four thousand attack points!” The volcanic peak on the giant’s shoulder erupted, shaking even the stars as it lined up its target with its massive stone fist (ATK 4000). Far below, Murtagh was celebrating his victory. “My new world, it’s in my grasp. My rule is so close now, and yours is about to be ended by a monster of your own making. Your Galaxy Eyes might be able to cower and hide from Atlanthal’s attack, but I don’t need to go after him now. Number six, attack Photon Cerberus and end this! Divine Punishment!!!”

Almost in slow motion the giant leant back, before driving its pummelling fist towards the tiny hound and the defenceless little girl. This attack was it; this was going to defeat Kaneko. New world order.

“I activate the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tasuke_Knight"]Tasuke Knight[/url] from my cemetery! One time only when there are no cards in my hand, I can special summon him from the dead!” A small portal opened in front of Kaneko and the Cerberus for an unarmed samurai in red plate to emerge (Lv4, ATK 1700). With one thunderous clap the warrior released a shockwave that stopped Atlanthal inches away from crushing them both. “Then the battle phase is ended immediately!”

Murtagh stopped as Atlanthal withdrew and stared at her in utter disbelief. “You just don’t know when to quit do you?”

“Afraid not” Kaneko grimaced. “I know if I don’t stop you no-one else can, and I can’t let you have the power of avatar or my Numbers for your intentions.”

“Figures” Murtagh shrugged. “Guess that the Real Duel exec’s really got their wish and managed to create the perfect little girl to work for them. You got some skills, and your sad and weak little virtues just as they wanted” Murtagh smirked at the terrified look she was giving him. “But none of it is really down to you. Everything you are is someone else’s making, not your own person. You’re just a puppet, moulded and strung along as they saw fit.”

“What are you talking about?” Kaneko tried to cover her ears, but his words kept echoing in her head and were getting louder, shaking her to the core. She tried to reject what he was saying, but none of it made sense, there were such big holes and her thoughts of her past were blurred by him. “You’re lying to me again! You know nothing about me!”

“No, it is you who knows nothing!” Murtagh snapped. “You don’t know, so let me fill the gaps and tell you the truth that your precious sensei withheld from you. Why you live here alone unlike everybody else in your fantasy world, with no parents or friends! Why you have these unique powers and why you are raised in isolation from everyone else you see who isn’t like you. It’s not because you were chosen at birth to be avatar of this place. It’s because you were engineered to be an avatar. It’s because you’re an experiment!”

Kaneko choked at his sick smile, shaking her head at some feeble sort of denial. But try as she might, the more her memories got mangled and hazy, the more parts of her just stopped making sense. Sensing blood, Murtagh went for the jugular. “You weren’t born here. Nobody’s born here. This world you love is just a digital creation made by a company to make money. A pale and shallow reflection of imagination, at least right now it is. A fantasy realm used as an escape and playground for those from the real world you were only occasionally allowed to go to, but would never be allowed a part of, owned by a company that created you in order to power it. You weren’t born; you were manufactured to be my replacement. Those parents you believe in... ha, your only parent is a machine, and all you are is a slave.”

“You’re... you’re lying...”

Murtagh shrugged. Desperately she looked for a tell as he cockily stood there, placing a card face down into his D-Disk and waiting for her in complete confidence, and it was clear he wasn’t lying. “Afraid not. Sorry to spoil your little fantasy princess thing, but you’re just a gear in a machine you would be used all your life to power. Your life has never been your own, and your entire being was customized as wished for by men in suits to line their pockets with gold.” Across the field, Kaneko was rocking back and forth on her heels, looking fit to burst compared to his now comparable calm. “I end my turn. Do you understand? Can you accept the truth?”

“......”

There was a long moment’s silence.

[i]“No...”[/i]

The scared little girl continued rocking back and forth, clenching and unclenching her fists, unaware of her long hair plastered to her face mangling with floods of tears as images flew past her in a blur, all the times she was very small as she screamed at the sight of scary monsters all around her, and indistinct fragments of visions of a large machine and people working around her, taking her away from it and towards a cot with a large helmet attached to it...

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

Clarissa placed a hand to her deck and looked up at the three villains standing between her and the portal. The police detective Garvan who had the defensive rock Terabyte and a ton of life points. The lady Izura who had just ended her turn, by setting a monster and three face down cards. And directly above her Asami, who a few hours ago she had saved from a fate worse than death, only for her to try to leave her to her own. She had one face down backing up a hidden monster. Well then, no question who her target would be, as the first person to have access to a battle phase.

“Alright, I dr...”

She stopped as the earth beneath them shook. Suddenly the whole world was shaking. Daiki and Jin beside her were stumbling; as were the spectators behind them and even the surprised group blocking them had to hold onto the rocky steps. Casting round in alarm, the coloured aurora above them was vanishing into darkness, as the starry night turned to red. There were rumbling sounds growing and growing in magnitude, but it was almost impossible to tell where they were coming from. It seemed like everything was crumbling. Somewhere behind her Sakura screamed, and all attention on what she was looking at. There, far in the distance, one of the other tall mountain peaks really was crumbling to earth. The nine watched it for a second and only a second, before something exploded in the other direction. One of the other mountains had erupted, and was spitting fire and brimstone across the snowy region.

“Since when did Polar Star Radiance have volcanoes?” Rokuro yelled over the noise.

“It doesn’t” Natsumi shouted back, despite standing only a few feet away. “Something bad is going off in a big way.”

“It must be Kaneko and Murtagh” Daiki shouted, losing his footing as he tried to charge the giant stairs. The earth was shaking so badly it was making standing impossible, never mind ascension, as above him Garvan slid down one or two steps and tried to cling onto whatever he could.

In mere seconds the ripple of natural disaster raced across the world. In the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wetlands"]Wetlands[/url] area, bolts of thunder struck the earth leaving great craters in their wake, the rain melting away the grass and anything unfortunate enough to be caught in it as it turned to acid. Screams from the dwellers of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Citadel_Endymion"]Magical City of Endymion[/url] could be heard as the magnificent structures around them suddenly caught ablaze, whilst the population of the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skyscraper"]Skyscraper[/url] were running for their lives from the towers that were crumbling and sinking into great fissures in the earth.

Desperately Murtagh struggled against the origin of this wake of destruction. The little girl was stood there screaming and crying her lungs out, surrounded by a large sphere of light that was releasing shockwave after shockwave in all directions. The world around them felt like it was distorting, the stars kept flickering on and off and the ground wouldn’t stay level as parts of it rose and fell at random. The force of the energy coming from the sphere was pushing him backwards like a hurricane, and it was giving off such ferocious heat, it was taking all his strength to hold his ground against it as Atlanthal and Galaxy Eyes did, the great dragon was howling in anger. As he fought, Kaneko opened her glazed over eyes that burned with unbridled despair and anger.

“I hate you!” she screamed as she snatched at her deck and drew with a wild swing. The energy sphere was lifting her off her feet as it powered her upwards and towards him, as she slammed the card onto her D-Disk. “All the pain you’ve caused, all the suffering you’ve created, I will erase every part of you from existence!! I release both Photon Cerberus and Tasuke Knight. Advance summon; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Photon_Kaiser"]Photon Kaiser[/url]!”

The two smaller monsters sank into the shining earth to make way for a knight clad in cobalt and gold armour, swinging its blade as it hit the field beside Galaxy Eyes (Lv8, ATK 2000).

“That can’t be good” Murtagh gulped. “I activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Solemn_Judgement"]Declaration of God[/url]! By paying half of my life points, I can negate the summon of that monster!” Murtagh visibly grimaced as his life points dropped to the brink (LP 175) and in a moments weakness he lost a few steps to the energetic force. But it was worth it to make sure Kaiser was destroyed by a shaft of light, although it only worsened the situation as the girl gulped in shock, as her imminent victory vanished.

“No! I’ll still destroy you! Galaxy Eyes, Photon Stream!” The dragon unleashed another vicious breath, bathing the giant Atlanthal for a second before they both vanished into nothingness. Murtagh tried to claw his way forward but the increasing wind denied him getting anywhere near the girl trapped and consumed by her own power that was rapidly getting out of her control. “Now at the end of the battle phase the two monsters return, and Galaxy Eyes with a huge new power boost!”

There was a thud as Atlanthal reappeared behind Murtagh, minus two overlay units and its power boost gone (ATK 2600). Across the field, Galaxy Eyes body shone brighter than ever, its roar more bloodily than ever as its attack hit maximum power (ATK 4000). Straining with every fibre, Murtagh grasped for his deck, for his final card. Even if the duel didn’t end this turn in terms of an actual result, even if he could survive by putting Atlanthal in defence, the world probably wouldn’t.

[i]‘If I don’t stop her now, she’s going to be consumed in her power. She could destroy everything at this rate. There’ll be nothing left for me.’[/i] Indeed, he could see Kaneko clutching her head and taking in rapid shallow breaths to try and keep herself going, but she was now totally out of control. Staggering back he caught his card and tipped into view, took a deep breath, and slowly forced the card onto his D-Disk.

“It’s all over! I activate the fusion spell [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Mirror"]Dragon Mirror[/url]!” Above him a huge swirling vortex opened, ringed by the golden symbol of a dragon. “By banishing five dragon type monsters from my field or cemetery, I can fusion summon the most powerful dragon of legend!”

Kaneko barely registered his words as she struggled to look up at the portal. Dimly she managed to see first Masked Dragon rise from the dead, before it was pulled backwards into the vortex. Then one of the two remaining Darkblaze Dragons was pulled in after it. The dark form of Darkflare Dragon was pulled in screeching and fighting, followed by the powerful bulk of Gandra. Finally, the shimmering ghost of Lightpulsar Dragon rose, before it too was pulled into the beyond. No sooner had it disappeared, than a horrible and twisted cacophony of mangled cries and shrieks echoed from the portal.

“Oh no, it can’t be...”

“Tremble before the ultimate ruler and maker of king! The creator of five elements! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Five-Headed_Dragon"]Five God Dragon[/url]!”

It was. The portal expanded, allowing passage for the gargantuan creature to pass through. A great earthy brown body with giant wings and tail, but its impressive size was unnoticed compared to the five long necks and snapping heads that were staring down at her. One head of a flaming beast, and one a metal creation of war. One head of a serpent of the deepest ocean, and one of the highest mountains. And finally one of a wicked dragon from another realm. The creature floated above them on effortless wing beats, as each head that looked down on her screeched and cried as one (Lv12, ATK 5000).

“This is it!” Murtagh cried with his fist clenched high. “Five God Dragon, do my bidding and destroy Kaneko and Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon! Five God Breath!”

Each head leaned back and took a deep breath, before releasing the combined forces of their power of fire, water, wind, earth and darkness. The breaths swirled and combined into one huge force driving through the air towards the sphere around the motionless Kaneko. With a desperate roar Galaxy Eyes dived in front of her, releasing its retaliatory Photon Stream back with everything it had and catching a few dragons in the neck. The battle was short as Galaxy Eyes banished them both, the five headed monster vanishing from existence, but only for Galaxy Eyes to be forced away as well for all its heroics. As it vanished with one last miserable roar, there was still one more monster left standing, and it was going to be powerless to defend her from it. The two duelists stood in silence in their wake, the force of the energy radiating from the shrinking sphere dying down as Kaneko lost her will as she stood there helplessly, allowing Murtagh to stand more comfortably and rather breathlessly make his command.

“You fought well little girl. But not quite well enough. Not to beat me, the ultimate being that I will now become with your help. Atlanthal...” High above him, the possessed giant lined up its fist for the finishing blow... “Finish this. Divine Punishment!”

The fist hit the ground far short of Kaneko, but the impact still catapulted her backwards through the air. She landed on her back fifty feet away, her body shuddering a little as she tried to sit up whilst her little remaining power ebbed out of her and the wings of her duel mode faded away. The stars around her were going in and out of focus, before her energy was spent and she collapsed (LP 0).

Ignoring Atlanthal’s disappearance, Murtagh sprinted the distance and slide on his knees to check her over. To his alarm, she wasn’t breathing. To come this far, he couldn’t have just screwed it up by killing her, his ticket to supreme rule. Desperately he breathed into her a few times, before starting chest compressions. “Oh no little girl. Don’t you dare die on me now...”

...02:45:12...

The rumbling of the earth stopped as quickly as it had started, ceasing to a mild tremor that allowed everyone to regain their balance. Sakura looked most unwell as Rokuro helped her up, whilst halfway up the mountain climb Murtagh’s group were exchanging glances that suggested they were as baffled as the others. The sky overhead was still a worrying shade in colour, but that the earthquakes and volcanoes had now stopped, in the minds of at least Clarissa and Daiki, was a worse sign than good.

[i]‘Something bad has happened’[/i] Clarissa thought as she got back up. [i]‘I have to get in there and quickly.’[/i]

Finally able to draw her card, she had to act quickly. If Kaneko was in trouble of any sort, she had to get past this crew and fast. Thankfully her draw was good[i]. ‘With this, I can bring out my Number. Then I can do some real damage to someone.’[/i] “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Steelswarm_Sentinel"]Inverz Sentinel[/url] to the field.”

The small black beetle materialised in front of her (Lv3, ATK 1200). “Next I activate my face down [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Limit_Release"]Limit Rebirth[/url], in order to special summon Critter back from my cemetery. Then I overlay my level three monsters and Xyz Summon. Suffer at the hands of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_30:_Acid_Golem_of_Destruction"]Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction[/url]!”

The massive golem rose from the depths as it took to the field, towering over the ninja and winged swordsman beside it and over the scorpion shaped machine Garvan controlled, packing enough punch to destroy it (Rk3, ATK 3000). Looking back at the last two cards in her hand and back to the field, Clarissa had to make a decision and fast. [i]‘Acid Golem can destroy Terabyte, and by using this I could do major damage to him. Plus with its defence I doubt he’s set a trap expecting me to attack it. However, Garvan has the most life points and only a few hand resources left compared to the others, therefore it would be smarter to try to get rid of the other two and gang up on him last.’ [/i]Her attention turned the woman above her, and a cruel smile befell her.[i] ‘Besides, I want to hurt that Asami woman. Whatever her vendetta is against me, I’ll crush her first.’[/i]

“Now Acid Golem, attack Asami’s face down monster!” The golem roared and pulled back its giant fist, much to the disbelief of Daiki and Jin as they watched on thinking she’d go for Terabyte. Up the mountainside, the face down card flipped itself for the creature to emerge, to reveal... a doll?

“Excellent, that looks weak. Now I activate the instant magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Controller"]Enemy Controller[/url]. This changes your monster into attack mode!” Asami swallowed in shock as the small doll was forced into attack mode, and no wonder with its stats (Lv1, ATK 0). This attack Clarissa thought, the mighty Number against a weak monster, could blow Asami away altogether in one strike. “This will make you pay. Smash her!”

“Clarissa, stop!”

Too late, Acid Golem had already driven its fist into the mountainside with a mighty crash, obliterating the doll that had been unmoved prior its destruction and crushing the terrified Asami. Billows of dust obscured everything from sight as the golem withdrew back to its mistress’ side. One down, two to go.

[i]“heh heh heh heh heh heh...”[/i]

Clarissa blinked in disbelief as the quiet cackling reached her, and a shadow could be seen rising in the veil of the dust. “What?”

In agonizing slow motion the dust started to settle, first clearing around the unmoved Garvan and Izura, who both looked worryingly calm. The group behind them exchanged fearful glances, as unaware of what was going on as their duelling allies, until the remaining cloud faded away to reveal Asami standing as she was, completely unmoved, unruffled, and unharmed, and laughing more loudly as the air cleared around her (LP 4000). Whilst floating above her and staring back at their terrified faces were several nightmarish grinning masks, trapped in one tight little screen (Lv8, ATK 3000).

“Oh my god! What the hell is that?” Natsumi shouted. Asami only responded at first with full mirth of deranged laughter.

“Ah ha ha! You stupid woman, I knew your vindictive hatred of me would make you fall straight into my trap! Because I would have taken battle damage, I got to activate my [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gimmick_Box"]Gimmick Box[/url] trap card. First this reduces all damage I would have taken to zero. Then it summons itself to my field as a monster card, and its attack becomes equal to the damage that was nullified.”

“Her trap became a monster?” Sakura blinked. Still sniggering, Asami placed her hand to her D-Disk.

“That’s right girl. Now watch, as I give you all a little preview of my rule as queen of Murtagh’s new world, and show you the true meaning of fear! I draw!” The group watched as she snatching the card in a powerful movement, she didn’t seem too fussed about the result as she selected another card. “I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gimmick_Puppet_-_Scarecrow"]Gimmick Puppet Scarecrow[/url]!”

A small metal scarecrow holding a rake appeared beside her (Lv4, ATK 800). “Next I activate the spell card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Resonance_Device"]Resonance Device[/url]. This targets two monsters I control that have the same attribute and type, and changes one of their levels to match the other. As a monster, Gimmick Box is treated as a dark attribute machine type as well as a trap, so I can increase Scarecrow’s level to match it (Lv8). Now I overlay my two level eight monsters! Xyz summon!” The two monsters turned to sparks of dark black energy, crashing into the swirling vortex beneath them, from which the seal emerged and released the monster within. Asami flashed the group a wicked smile as she raised her hand, the dark mark of her number emblazed on her palm. “Show them, and make them kneel before me. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_15:_Gimmick_Puppet_Giant_Killer"]Number 15: Gimmick Puppet Giant Killer[/url]!”

Towering against the mountainside, a giant black marionette doll with an expressionless face adorned with a number emblazoned tiara rose. The doll reached an enormous side as it was pulled upright by the strings controlled by the puppeteer standing on the tower like structure it was attached to, taller even than Acid Golem, its arms and legs sticking out at an awkward and creepy angle as it shuddered to a halt. Something about it gave off an awful vibe, making the younger duelists shudder as they stared helplessly up at it like rabbits trapped in the gaze of a snake (Rk8, ATK 1500).

“I activate the effect of Giant Killer!” Asami screamed with delight, as one of the orbs vanished into the doll’s tiara. As it disappeared there was a horrible grinding sound of gears, and the dolls chest-plate started to open. “By detaching an overlay unit, it can destroy every other Xyz monster on the field!”

“Not gonna happen” Daiki shouted, dragging himself out of his trance. “I activate the [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fiendish_Chain"]Demon Chain[/url] trap card to negate Giant Killer’s effect!”

“I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Tools_of_the_Bandit"]Seven Tools of the Bandit[/url]!” Daiki gulped as the meek looking biker Izura countered with the trap he knew all too well, shuddering as it took hold of her (LP 3000). “By giving up one thousand of my life points, your trap is negated and Asami’s monster is safe.”

“Ooh, thank you Izura dear. Maybe I was wrong about you” Asami sniggered as she watched her partner sway slightly and the chain disappeared. “Now where was I? Oh yes, total annihilation! Do it Giant Killer!” Attempt on it denied, several web like shots of string flew from the giant’s fingertips, ensnaring Hope, Crimson, Acid Golem and Terabyte in its web and slowly dragging them towards its body and the fully opened chest... and the massive buzz saw that was concealed inside!

“Oh crap” Jin jumped. “I activate the effect of Crimson Shadow! By detaching an overlay unit, it can avoid all methods of destruction this turn!”

“I activate my own Demon Chain!” Before Crimson could cut itself free it was wrapped up in heavy chains, tying it up and unable to break free as the weary looking Izura opened her second trap, her expression blank and unfeeling compared to his shock and terror. Jin could only watch as Daiki and Clarissa did as one by one their monsters, along with Terabyte, were pulled in gruesome fashion into the grinding saws of Giant Killer. Each warrior thrashing in torture as they were ripped apart by the hellish device, before the unfeeling machine went in after them. Then inch by inch and with a horrible roar the golem was pulled in after until it too was fully ingested. Asami watched it all with a sick fascination as every one was pulled into the nothingness, before the saws receded to make way for a large cannon.

“Now for the fun part. After it’s destroyed all the other Xyz monsters on the field, Giant Killer then uses them as ammo and inflicts damage to each of the users equal to the attack of each of their monsters!”

Several shots fired around them, throwing them all to the floor. The blast left the trio covered in burns and bruises all over, their clothes torn and shredded in places as they struggled to get up (Daiki LP: 1500, Jin: 1600, Clarissa: 1000). Garvan was unaffected, Terabyte having no attack points, as he merely knocked some dust of his shirt, watched them writhe and stagger, before turning to Izura. “You ready?”

The woman nodded in reply. “Alright then. Let’s finish this up. I activate the trap card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Icy_Crevasse"]Hate Crevasse[/url]! Because exactly one monster in my control was destroyed, I can target one other monster one of my opponents control and destroy it.”

“But the only target is Giant Killer?” Jin mumbled as he staggered upright. It wasn’t over yet; hopefully his face down Dimensional Imprisonment would keep him safe until his next turn.

“I activate my trap [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Foolish_Revival"]Foolish Revival[/url]” Izura added as she chained her trap to Garvan’s. “This special summons one monster in an opponent’s cemetery to their field.” Jin blinked as Crimson Shadow reappeared before him, only to fall straight into Garvan’s trap card and explode in a block of crushing ice.

“Now when a monster is destroyed by Hate Crevasse, damage equal to its original attack is taken by its user. That means you’re through kid!”

“Jin!”

The others could do nothing as Jin was thrown backwards with devastating force, landing in a crumpled heap beside the dismounted duel runners (LP 0). Sakura and Rokuro rushed to his aid as he lay there, bleeding from the mouth and head and barely conscious. Daiki and Clarissa looked at him in panic, while Garvan turned to their joyous partner. “Finish it up Asami.”

“Gladly” the poisonous woman smirked. “Giant Killer, attack Daiki directly. Final Dance!”

It was only when the long whip was rushing through the air towards him that Daiki saw it coming, but he certainly felt it. With lightning speed it smashed into his torso and threw him backwards. His chest felt like it had been crushed before he even landed, that several ribs had surely been broken as he crashed (LP 0). The world was spinning in and out of focus as he wretched violently, clutching his ribs, he could feel blood in his mouth and throat. He thought Natsumi was calling to him from somewhere above him as someone cradled his head, but he wasn’t able to keep focus.

Standing alone, Clarissa turned to face the giant doll and its sadistic master. Slowly it dawned on her. “You... set this whole duel up? The bluff about stalling. Using Terabyte to force us to summon Numbers and... set up that monster. That combination with Hate Crevasse... and having her protect you. All of it.”

“Exactly right” her nemesis grinned playfully. “Too bad you didn’t work it out sooner; after all you played your part in setting the whole trap off by attacking me perfectly. And now...” her expression darkened as she looked down at her. “...for your final reward. I activate the effect of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gimmick_Puppet_-_Baby_Face"]Gimmick Puppet Baby Face[/url]. By banishing it from my cemetery, it can resurrect the monster that destroyed it.”

Clarissa scowled as the small doll she had attacked earlier appeared, using its own string as a fishing line that sank into the depths and dragged up her Acid Golem. “So you want to rub it in my face by having my own Number destroy me? You coward!”

“How dare you address your queen like that!” Asami snapped. “I intend no such thing; instead I have something much more painful in mind for you my dear Clarissa. You see during my turn, Giant Killer can actually activate its effect [i]twice[/i].” Clarissa gasped as the remaining overlay unit was absorbed, and her golem was all of a sudden being dragged into the reopened buzz mill once more. Watching it get the most excruciating death was even more torturous the second time, before once more the blades pulled back for the cannon to emerge, and Asami gave her a slow wave farewell. “Goodbye, b****!”

Getting the full brunt of the cannon fire, Clarissa was launched over the others. Landing with a mighty thud on her front, her black outfit was smouldered and torn to reveal bloody wounds and deep burns all over her body and face. Still defiant she struggled to get up, but there was no strength left in her as she too collapsed (LP 0).

On the stairway in the shadow of her destructive weapon Giant Killer, Asami jumped about and laughed in celebration. “Yes! It all worked perfectly!” Her partners were a lot more relaxed and non-committal about victory, forcing her to act more exuberantly to make up in the faces of her decimated opponents. “Now you see what will happen to anyone who dares raise a hand against me and my darling! He will rule the perfect world forever, with me by his side...”

[i]“Enough Asami.”[/i]

Asami gulped as the familiar voice echoed above her. She, her partners, and those able amongst the hero forces looked up to see a shadow emerge from the gateway portal. Murtagh was coming out, looking equally worse for wear himself, and carried over his shoulder and seemingly asleep was Kaneko.

“The time... my time, is finally at hand. So good of you all to come and witness it for yourselves, as precious little Kaneko catapults me... to full godhood.” Smirking, Murtagh dropped the little girl from his shoulder and put her into a standing position, slowly letting her go as it became apparent she could support herself in her own trance, while he turned to his colleagues and snapped “Enough games, time for the final stage. Bring the Number Converter out.”

With a nod, Garvan spoke to someone on his D-Gazer. The person on the other end soon responded, as after a few seconds a loud rumbling to the groups left heralded the arrival of a large, evil looking machine appearing in their midst, just at the base of the stairs. A great and dark looking cubic block made of thick metal, with predominant features including the large satellite disk, a heavy black plate on the other side, and several adorning chains. Doctor Evos was standing at the control panel on top of it, giving his allies a stern look as they descended before focusing back on what he was doing. Clarissa groaned and fought to get up, but had no strength left to, as the others tended to the immobilized Dai and Jin unable to do anything against the mob as they made their way down to the sinister machine. However Murtagh and the sleepwalking Kaneko stopped halfway down the stairs instead. Slowly he crouched down next to her and whispered to her. “Alright little girl. You know what to do. Call them all back to you.”

Slowly Kaneko opened her eyes. As she stared down across the people in the basin, they were blank and colourless. Pulled by invisible strings, she raised and hand and declared in a hollow voice. “My friends, my guardians, the embodiments of my mind and soul. Return to me now.”

As her emotionless words echoed around them, the air around five of the six started to warm. Each duelist could feel something respond to her, as the extra deck slots strapped to their person began to glow and each unlocked themselves. The same thing could be seen happening around Murtagh’s allies, relaxed as they were as the lights emanating from their packs got brighter as they rose away from them. One by one the Numbers used by them started to rise into the air, and to the groups horror as the glowing cards rose from their decks, so did their own as they shot out of their grasp towards Kaneko.

“Shock Ruler!” Sakura made a wild snatch for hers but was left clutching thin air as Shock Ruler rose and was lured away from her.

“Volcasaurus!” Not just her fire-breathing ally, but three cards swirled around Natsumi, almost taunting her as she tried to grab them and pull them back in, before Black Corn, Lucky Stripe and her precious ally Volca flew away in a looping arc. Jin groaned blearily as Crimson Shadow, Machu Mach and Giganto went away from him, as did Daiki as he helplessly watched in silence as Hope and Black Mist returned to their true companion. Still fighting against her wounds Clarissa pushed herself onto her knees, only to see Acid Golem and Fran Ken, the two cards that connected her with Kaneko, floating away from her after the others. Not only them, but the sky overhead was filled with small lights, as the Numbers still spread all across the world returned at their friends calling.

“Kaneko... Please... stop...” she groaned. The little girl ignored her as she turned her attention to the skies, watching the many glowing cards floating in the air before her or that were still making their journey home. From his control position on the topside of the machine, Evos continued to operate it as it whirred into light. The cards flying through the night changed direction, arcing towards it, whilst the cards that were floating before Kaneko also drifted towards the large flat square plate behind him. Slotting and coming to rest on the plate in their assigned order in a ten by ten grid, lighting up the machine like a giant switchboard as they connected.

Murtagh waited in silence by the little girl’s side as she just stood there continuing to mindlessly draw the Numbers back to her and towards this machine with a triumphant grin on his face, as finally his own collection of Numbers rose from his person and joined the vast amount that was being collected on the plate. Whatever was going on it was going to be catastrophic, but Natsumi had just watched the others all get slaughtered and now she was Number-less, plus Murtagh had Kaneko in his grasp and who knew what either of them could do next. Despite this she couldn’t stop herself from seeking an answer as she held onto Daiki. “Murtagh! What are you doing?”

“Gathering the tools for my ascension” he replied. “This Number Converter of my design is going to create the perfect world, by breaking down the walls between this world and our real one and merging them together as one, for me to rule over. The Numbers provide the immense power source needed, but it also needs a little extra boost.” Carelessly raising his own gauntlet covered arm, Kaneko started to rise into the air at his control, completely unaware of what was happening as he launched her towards the machine. She struck the side with a thud that made the group wince, before several chains snaked their way around her barely conscious body and locked her in place.

“You monster! Leave her alone!” Sakura shouted. Murtagh simply laughed over the noise of the converter in reply.

“Ah Sakura, how brave of you to come back here. I knew that the Number I watched destroy your partner would lure you back; thank you for looking after it for me. I was rather expecting you to be the one to be taken down and having to manipulate him into avenging you, but given your position that little surprise was more favourable. Not that it was that necessary in the end.” Sakura swallowed at his admission that he had after all watched and not intervened until Yudai had been slaughtered. Murtagh ignored her distress and watched the last remaining Numbers float down onto the plate, before turning back to them with a much darker expression. “However your usefulness, all of you six’s usefulness, has now expired. All that’s left for you is to watch my rise, and be the first to witness my supremacy. Hold on tight, this is going to be a wild ride.”

Leaping up onto the top plate above the limp Kaneko with a wild grin, forcing Evos to stumble out of his way as he landed and turned to the control panel in front of the giant Number plate, Murtagh gave a wild cry of triumph as he raised his clawed hand high and slammed it onto the panel. “With the power of the one hundred Numbers and their original, pierce the heavens and make two worlds become one, with me at its heart as the ultimate ruler! FIRE!”

The panel lit up as the cards combined might was forced through the machine. Below it Kaneko cried out as her own energy was sapped away, pouring up across the surface pipes to the great dish aiming at the aurora above. A screeching noise drowned out everything else, there was a flash, and the laser fired.

A star in the sky flashed. Wherever you stood in the world, in whatever time zone, and happened to look up at that moment, you could see the star flash. A small speck in the sky, about a small proportion of the size of the visible moon, flashing ever so brightly for just a few mille-seconds and disappearing again. Anyone watching the sky at that moment saw it; jaws dropped, fingers pointed and hushed whispers of ‘Did you see it?’, ‘What was that?’ were heard.

Right up until they were drowned out or silenced entirely by the noise.

The noise was terrible. Like the whole planet was being ripped apart by giant machines, shaken to its core as people fell in the streets clutching their ears and screaming against the hellacious din. The whole world, the whole universe even, was shaking. All across Asia people jumped as they were shaken out of their sleep, whilst the waking world grinded to a halt as the noise reached feverously high pitches. Things were exploding all around from the intensity of the sound.

Throughout the inner corridors of Murtagh’s base the fire fight had ceased, as invading agents and the last mercenaries alike fell to their knees at what was happening. Some, unable to take it, turned their guns on and shot themselves. One agent crawled on, past a headless mercenary towards the end room. Maybe if he could just get to Murtagh. He was so close; he could see his body and his allies lying in the next room plugged into the VDS. Through his blurred vision and throbbing headache he could just about make out the victorious smirk etched on his face... before his senses failed and everything went black.

Flying across the mountains with just a few miles to their target, two jet fighters prepared to fire their missiles at Murtagh’s base. But as they closed in the world outside them was fading away into pure white nothingness. The pilots screamed, as they were simply erased from existence.

People screamed soundlessly against it for it to end or for help, many contorting on the floor as their minds failed to cope with the pressure but on them by the sounds of Armageddon. The cracks opening in the splitting earth, the collapsing of buildings, the screams of death could not be heard. Nor would they be seen, as blinding source less light began to engulf the entire world...

In the virtual world, the Polar Star Radiance was starting to go through a similar process as the night sky began to whiten, the colourless aurora disappearing as the laser fire disappeared into nothingness above them. With all the effort they could manage Clarissa and Daiki got to their feet, Daiki carrying the groaning Jin in his arms and helped by Natsumi. Murtagh and the converter were only just visible ahead of them, the machine and its users who were clinging to it shielded by some forcefield. Garvan and Izura could be seen holding to the base of the machine by Kaneko; both gave nothing away with their stoic expressions. However Asami could be made out behind it, giving them all a malicious wave goodbye.

Something crackled and fizzed in the ear of each one. Blearily realising it was their D-Gazers hampered with static, Doctor Zielinski could only just be heard. “Listen to me! You all must evacuate the VDS world immediately! Now!”

“I’m not leaving” Clarissa shouted back, staggering forward and clutching her ribs as she armed her D-Disk once more. She could see her little girl, struggling and crying against the machine forcing her power out. However Sakura and Rokuro grabbed her and pulled back, and she had no strength to fight them.

“No, you must leave!” Piotr repeated. “The virtual world is collapsing entirely on itself and things are getting bad out here too. People inside the system are dropping dead area to area as they are erased! It only has mere seconds left until it all goes kaput and if you are inside when it does you will be killed!” Daiki, Jin and Natsumi immediately evacuated, but still Clarissa refused to go. The noise was getting louder, the world was getting whiter as the mountains faded from existence; leaving only them, the machine inside the shield and its operating crew. “I’m evacuating you now...”

Forced out by his controls from the other end, the remaining group were pulled out of the VDS. The machine faded away, before with the sensation of being pulled out of a lake from the verge of drowning, the trio blinked and sat up in the collapsing operations room set up in the base. Daiki and Jin were out and collapsed next to them, whilst running around them were the bewildered looking Baron, Keylan and Yuri and the remaining agents with them. The whole world was shaking and seemed to be splitting in two...

Then it stopped, and there was silence...

Her bedroom had finally stopped shaking, and the scary noises had stopped. Unplugging her ears and clutching her teddy bear tightly, Maeda Riku crawled out from underneath her makeshift bed and made the long walk to the hostel bedroom window.

Her mom still wasn’t here yet. Her friends, who had picked her up from hospital and taken her to the south coastal town of Tawara for a little holiday on which she should have joined them on by now, were lying on the floor, the woman groaning slightly whilst the man didn’t move at all. All the furniture in the room and ornaments had fallen and smashed, meaning Riku had to pick her way across. Ignoring the woman trying to stir her husband, Riku picked her way over to the fluttering curtains, took a deep breath, and pulled them open to look at the sea town outside.

The town wasn’t there. It had either been replaced by something else far different, or the quiet seaside resort had undergone some horrible transformation. The buildings were lopsided and contorted, and were giving off a weird green glow. The ground beneath them was a shade of dark blue and covered in a layer of eerie glowing mist, as was the reddish sea out to her right, whilst up above, the night sky was a deep chaotic purple, and in place of the moon and millions of stars that had vanished was one giant dark star floating low above them and crackled with static energy. The dark and strange place the town had become stretched out as far as she could see, as it did to every other people still alive and able to see the aftermath of the disaster that had wakened them. The whole of Japan was covered by the dark star, transformed into a world of [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Malefic_World"]sin[/url].

02:59:58... 02:59:59... 03:00:00...[/spoiler]

Oh hell...

[Spoiler=Spoilers]

The end result of the Kaneko vs Murtagh didn't surprise me really. After all, you needed an antagonist to continue the story. Should've seen Number 6 coming, since only Murtagh has enough Numbers for it to mean anything.

What did surprise me was the ONE TURN, THREE KILL that was just pulled off. With my favorite monster. By my least favorite character. I don't even know what my emotions are doing...
[/spoiler]

When's the next arc beginning?

Ok firstly.... WOW.

Again i would happily murder for talent like that.

[spoiler='Spoiler. ']The Murtagh-Kaneko duel was a really good ending. I have a feeling she will be back, seeing as we didn't see a NEGPD apperance (Though an attempt at it). Attacking directly with Number 6 an deserving end. As for the tag duel. I am very happy you used the Anime effect of Giant Killer. I can completely understand that you needed to create a sense of complete defeat, and that was probably the easiest way to do it. Ending, brilliant. Though if i'm not mistaken there were a couple of new characters? And now i am wondering whether the Anime effect of Heavan's Strings will be used? If you do, i would probably prefer it. For a Fan fic, the actual effect kind of lacks.... punch. [/spoiler]

So looking forwards to the next arc. And now i have to go through my attempt at a fic, read it through, and probably rewrite it all to get anywhere near what i am aiming for...

Again. WOW.

Generally pretty good level of responses so far from people. I'm glad.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1342199512' post='5976600']
Oh hell...

[Spoiler=Spoilers]
The end result of the Kaneko vs Murtagh didn't surprise me really. After all, you needed an antagonist to continue the story. Should've seen Number 6 coming, since only Murtagh has enough Numbers for it to mean anything.

What did surprise me was the ONE TURN, THREE KILL that was just pulled off. With my favorite monster. By my least favorite character. I don't even know what my emotions are doing...
[/spoiler]

When's the next arc beginning?
[/quote]

Thanks. Was trying to tease Kaneko winning but her going out of control stuffing things up anyway, but yeah I guess most people rightly predicted that result. Still, thrilling duel I hope. And yeah, Atlanthal was a bugger to pencil in.

Will address Arc 4 later, just wanting to get feedback on Arc 3 for now.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1342207322' post='5976704']
Ok firstly.... WOW.

Again i would happily murder for talent like that.

[spoiler='Spoiler. ']The Murtagh-Kaneko duel was a really good ending. I have a feeling she will be back, seeing as we didn't see a NEGPD apperance (Though an attempt at it). Attacking directly with Number 6 an deserving end. As for the tag duel. I am very happy you used the Anime effect of Giant Killer. I can completely understand that you needed to create a sense of complete defeat, and that was probably the easiest way to do it. Ending, brilliant. Though if i'm not mistaken there were a couple of new characters? And now i am wondering whether the Anime effect of Heavan's Strings will be used? If you do, i would probably prefer it. For a Fan fic, the actual effect kind of lacks.... punch. [/spoiler]

So looking forwards to the next arc. And now i have to go through my attempt at a fic, read it through, and probably rewrite it all to get anywhere near what i am aiming for...

Again. WOW.
[/quote]

Sorry for being such a git with the ending of that duel. Could just imagine people jumping up and down when Kaiser hit the field... then Murtagh trollface ;p But yeah, I liked it because I'm cruel like that.

Giant Killer was given this job as soon as it appeared in the anime, and I didn't really have anything to change it too when it got its OCG effect. The battle royal I've known how it was going to go for a long time in principle, in terms of Terabyte and forcing everyone to summon Numbers and Clarissa going for Asami and setting off Giant Killer. Was just a bit of a juggle getting the turn order sorted and having to play with a few ropey combo's to do the fine bits, but it all worked out fairly nicely... with added buzzsaws of death!

Not sure what's happening with Heaven's Strings yet, just see what happens when it comes to appearance.

New characters?

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1342215600' post='5976853']
And in this episode, the bad guys demonstrate a technique known as "complete and utter ownage", followed by "total f***age of the world.

Jesus fricking Christ...awesome climax is awesome. The duels were great, the aforementioned world f***age was even better...just wow.
[/quote]

Thanks, thought the idea of waking up and finding Japan has suddenly transormed into Malefic World might be a good ending.

Was originally going to become a desert wasteland, but there weren't any really fitting field spells for that. Then finding Malefic World, was like yes. :)

Thanks y'all, appreciate the feedback.

when Kaneko summoned Kaiser, i was like 'NEO GALAXY EYES!!! NEO FUCKIN GALAXY EYES!!!" then i thought about how funny it would be if Murtagh had a set Solemn Judgment :D

tbh i was hoping that you would do thw biggest plot twist seen in fam fic history and haVE KAneko join murtagh *shoot repeatedly* I WON'T be silenced! where was I? oh yea she joins him to get revenge (a common motive for both) after hearing the truth or kills him and takes over his plan herself. i know it would have been the biggest Wtf since the announcement of that tournament legal seal of orichalcos (did i spell that right?), but i really think you could have sold it.

anyway awesome chapter and i hope you can continue the epicness in the 4th arc.

now, questions:

now that Murtagh has all the numbers, will i see them appear in duels less often now?

Izura deck is still unknown. is that because you didnt know what to give her?

and finally, you briefly mentioned pestilence,the final horseman. if he uses a deck, will it be your custom parasite archetype i saw? it will match him (or her??) perfectly

[quote name='∂materasu' timestamp='1342278028' post='5977778']
[spoiler='Oh. hell.']One of my predictions for Asami's deck of choice came true. Yay.
Didn't really know what outcome to expect here. Giant Killer OTK was good and gave a sincere sense of despair. [/spoiler]
Blown away.
[/quote]

I love Gimmick Puppets, I want them released (I've just made a thread in TCG if you don't believe me).

*starts playing doomey orchestral music in background to Giant Killer's summoning*

Awesome, glad you liked it.

[quote name='guuu1234' timestamp='1342279553' post='5977799']
when Kaneko summoned Kaiser, i was like 'NEO GALAXY EYES!!! NEO FUCKIN GALAXY EYES!!!" then i thought about how funny it would be if Murtagh had a set Solemn Judgment :D

tbh i was hoping that you would do thw biggest plot twist seen in fam fic history and haVE KAneko join murtagh *shoot repeatedly* I WON'T be silenced! where was I? oh yea she joins him to get revenge (a common motive for both) after hearing the truth or kills him and takes over his plan herself. i know it would have been the biggest Wtf since the announcement of that tournament legal seal of orichalcos (did i spell that right?), but i really think you could have sold it.

anyway awesome chapter and i hope you can continue the epicness in the 4th arc.

now, questions:

now that Murtagh has all the numbers, will i see them appear in duels less often now?

Izura deck is still unknown. is that because you didnt know what to give her?

and finally, you briefly mentioned pestilence,the final horseman. if he uses a deck, will it be your custom parasite archetype i saw? it will match him (or her??) perfectly
[/quote]

Heh heh heh. Yes, I trolled someone :P

Thanks. Little girl with the power to cause worldwide natural disaster when pissed off, what you gonna do against me now punk? Was trying to make her going nuts a bit of questionable moment in that she might become a major threat to existance in the same way everyone thinks Astral will end up, but damn those solemn's!

I hope so to; I'm slowly planning it and its taking shape, just keep running into diffculty (more on that later).

[spoiler=Regarding questions]
There are still places for Numbers to appear with new ones in regular places (once we get new ones <_<). [color=#ffffff]And who said he had them all...[/color]

I know what Izura has. Just didn't seem like any point revealing it now when it wasn't necessary, will leave it to forth arc.

No, no custom decks. Especially ones as terrible as those Parasite cards I made. :D Apocalypse Wyvern was enough on that front and I don't really want to go that way again.[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading, will keep everyone updated soon.

[quote]Giant Killer was given this job as soon as it appeared in the anime, and I didn't really have anything to change it too when it got its OCG effect. The battle royal I've known how it was going to go for a long time in principle, in terms of Terabyte and forcing everyone to summon Numbers and Clarissa going for Asami and setting off Giant Killer. Was just a bit of a juggle getting the turn order sorted and having to play with a few ropey combo's to do the fine bits, but it all worked out fairly nicely... with added buzzsaws of death!

Not sure what's happening with Heaven's Strings yet, just see what happens when it comes to appearance.

New characters?[/quote]

Yeah, i probably just didn't pay enough attention but Maeda Riku at the very end of the Chapter. I don't remember seeing her in the fic before. It is probably just me being blind, or have you slipped another character in? Like an outsider viewing all the events.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1342366417' post='5979016']
Yeah, i probably just didn't pay enough attention but Maeda Riku at the very end of the Chapter. I don't remember seeing her in the fic before. It is probably just me being blind, or have you slipped another character in? Like an outsider viewing all the events.
[/quote]

Izura's daughter.

She only appeared briefly in Arc 1, and isn't a hugely important person in anyway. Could have used anybody for the purpose like you said, but thought I'd use Riku given she has a connection to someone 'responsible' as it were. And because it was mentioned she'd been taken away into hiding to stop Hideo and co using her to get at Izura and Murtagh, so I thought I'd use her.

Anyway, seeing as I'm already posting, might as well say this now. Going to PM all the readers I know of with something similar anyway (if you're reading this and haven't got a PM, its because I've been given no idea that you're a reader). This is a more in-depth version of the PM, which is more spoiler free for those halfway and such.

Oh geez... how do I put this...

Well I guess I'd better say first off; I'm [b]not [/b]quitting. I admit I have found writing this extremely difficult over the last month, I have had massive amounts of writer's block where the ideas are there and I know what I want to write and what story I want to tell, but then I just sit down to do it and then...... blurh. I just get nothing. The last three chapters especially took forever to do even though they included duels and moments that I should have found exciting, but for some reason I've really mentally struggled to write the last few weeks. I dunno whether its because this whole thing has been going on for so long since I started planning in November, whether its because I know what's going to happen for the most part thus don't have the same sense of adventure like I did with Armageddon where I was making it up as I went along so had a constant thrill of 'I wonder what's going to happen next' or whether, well it probably does have something to do with the other parts in my life being busier than they were. So yeah, just being honest with people and admitting I'm finding writing a struggle right now. People who I PM with know that there has been a large deal of stress on my part which I just didn't have last time, the littlest things have been driving me spare recently, just trivial little things no-one noticed but are still making me stress. And anyone who knows me knows that I... really don't deal well with stress at all. So yeah, there's that.

Another thing that really isn't helping and is so frustrating to blame but is an issue; the lack of Numbers. When I started writing this back in December we had just got to twenty, and when I was planning it out I always thought I'd need about thirty; maybe a little less, thirty two tops. So no problem I thought. Konami's been making Numbers at a decent rate and it can [i]surely[/i] only accelerate once the show gets to the WDC finals proper and everyone starts spamming them left right and centre. What I didn't see coming was that in the seven months since only seven Numbers have come out; five of which are archtype obliged, and one of them is Fran Ken :D Now those of you who are switched on at this point will now realise that I have used twenty three out of the existing twenty seven so far, and I do still need (not want, need) thirty. You might also realise that the ones I have left to choose from are:

- Genome Heriter (requirements force it to go in Heraldic Beasts)
- Freezerdon (awkward to use effectively)
- Heaven's Strings (archtype obliged. We all know were that one's going)
- Destiny Leo (the less said about that one the better)

Now I specifically said need, and to stop any 'why don't you just work around it and not use Numbers?' before it starts, I'm going to have to let you in on my planning a little bit. As of the time I'm posting this, Izura does not have a Number. That cannot remain the case, as it makes absolutely no sense for her to not have one of her own. The two riders who haven't duelled yet do not have Numbers. Again, that can't really remain the case. And I really, really, really, really, reeeeally don't want to resort to making Numbers up again. So Konami, if you really do have any representatives trawling this site and reading this... stop screwing me over! Just because you trainwrecked all intrigue in Zexal's plot doesn't mean you should stuff mine up. *ego*

(Good grief I feel like John Cena cutting a promo, this is embarrassing.)

All that said, putting all that gloomy stuff out of the way for a second, I really do want to see this through to the end. When I actually stopped to count the people I think are reading this fic and found myself up to about twenty, it makes me really happy that this story has so many readers who are enjoying it (even if some of you have been doing so in silence <_<). But the recent boost in the number of people commenting is really uplifting y'know. Sorry I have to tell the truth and just be blunt, spending hours (on an average timescale takes maybe twelve-sixteen hours, guesstimate) to plan a chapter, script the duel, write it all, check it and edit it and post it up with hyperlinks and everything... to for the longest time think you've only got five readers, it is disheartening. Sorry, but it just is. And now that more people have started reading or commenting and giving feedback; I don't mean just praise because that is lovely but also critisism and thoughts feedback over the last six or so chapters, or who are messaging me by other means than in this thread, it is really confidence boosting to see some many happy readers and does give me a bit more of a kick in the proverbials.

Oh; and Pacman. Amaretsu. Saber. Guu. Simdoggy. You guys have commented on pretty much every chapter from start and all through the quiet parts I mentioned and complained about and to now, even if it was just a few words of encouragement. Even if you were my only five readers, I'd have still finished it for you ;)

So yeah, I mean that's the position I'm in. I am working on planning the final arc. I know the full match card now... I can only script about three duels from it until Konami starts giving me a hand again but that's getting off the point. Got the main plot pretty much timescaled chapter by chapter as to whats happening and when, although finer details are still sketchy in places. Chapters 37 and 38 are coming along in planning as well, although the opening duel is one I can't do yet due to the damn Numbers thing. What I'm saying is... it's just going to take me a while, and it will be better for me taking a while. I don't wanna hide behind a wall of excuses of 'oh I can't finish it because Konami isn't making Numbers', because I bloody well am going to finish it. I can't leave this set of characters hanging, I can't let this plot go unresolved, I can't let these stories stay locked up in my head untold or some good duels go unfought, and I can't let all of you guys who are reading this and make me so damn addicted to doing this stuff down and hanging. I have started, so I will finish.

Eventually.

I know its not ideal, ideally with August coming up and everyone has more free time it would have been the best time for reading this. It's also good for me because work is going to be quieter the next few weeks, so I can do some planning and stuff on shift or some writing on any lieu days I might get. But the world isn't ideal I guess. Will try to keep this going with the two extra chapters (six I've been waiting for ABYR to be confirmed, five I have no excuse for not having it done yet. Sorry) I'm not saying this is going to take a year before it gets updated again, I should be shot if I let that happen, but its not getting done as quickly as I hoped or wanted. I certainly want to bring you the end of the stroy properly, and I want it to be as good as possible. Just thought I should keep you all informed was all.

Once again, thank you to every single person who has commented on this story since it was first posted. Thank you to everyone who has read it and continues to read it. Thank you to every one who has helped with ideas, duel writing, editing, giving me encouragement, giving me a good slap if need be and just who has been involved in any way. Thank you so so much. This story will get completed and the ending you all deserve. I promise.

Matt

[spoiler='The Quote. '][quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1342371327' post='5979073']
Izura's daughter.

She only appeared briefly in Arc 1, and isn't a hugely important person in anyway. Could have used anybody for the purpose like you said, but thought I'd use Riku given she has a connection to someone 'responsible' as it were. And because it was mentioned she'd been taken away into hiding to stop Hideo and co using her to get at Izura and Murtagh, so I thought I'd use her.

Anyway, seeing as I'm already posting, might as well say this now. Going to PM all the readers I know of with something similar anyway (if you're reading this and haven't got a PM, its because I've been given no idea that you're a reader). This is a more in-depth version of the PM, which is more spoiler free for those halfway and such.

Oh geez... how do I put this...

Well I guess I'd better say first off; I'm [b]not [/b]quitting. I admit I have found writing this extremely difficult over the last month, I have had massive amounts of writer's block where the ideas are there and I know what I want to write and what story I want to tell, but then I just sit down to do it and then...... blurh. I just get nothing. The last three chapters especially took forever to do even though they included duels and moments that I should have found exciting, but for some reason I've really mentally struggled to write the last few weeks. I dunno whether its because this whole thing has been going on for so long since I started planning in November, whether its because I know what's going to happen for the most part thus don't have the same sense of adventure like I did with Armageddon where I was making it up as I went along so had a constant thrill of 'I wonder what's going to happen next' or whether, well it probably does have something to do with the other parts in my life being busier than they were. So yeah, just being honest with people and admitting I'm finding writing a struggle right now. People who I PM with know that there has been a large deal of stress on my part which I just didn't have last time, the littlest things have been driving me spare recently, just trivial little things no-one noticed but are still making me stress. And anyone who knows me knows that I... really don't deal well with stress at all. So yeah, there's that.

Another thing that really isn't helping and is so frustrating to blame but is an issue; the lack of Numbers. When I started writing this back in December we had just got to twenty, and when I was planning it out I always thought I'd need about thirty; maybe a little less, thirty two tops. So no problem I thought. Konami's been making Numbers at a decent rate and it can [i]surely[/i] only accelerate once the show gets to the WDC finals proper and everyone starts spamming them left right and centre. What I didn't see coming was that in the seven months since only seven Numbers have come out; five of which are archtype obliged, and one of them is Fran Ken :D Now those of you who are switched on at this point will now realise that I have used twenty three out of the existing twenty seven so far, and I do still need (not want, need) thirty. You might also realise that the ones I have left to choose from are:

- Genome Heriter (requirements force it to go in Heraldic Beasts)
- Freezerdon (awkward to use effectively)
- Heaven's Strings (archtype obliged. We all know were that one's going)
- Destiny Leo (the less said about that one the better)

Now I specifically said need, and to stop any 'why don't you just work around it and not use Numbers?' before it starts, I'm going to have to let you in on my planning a little bit. As of the time I'm posting this, Izura does not have a Number. That cannot remain the case, as it makes absolutely no sense for her to not have one of her own. The two riders who haven't duelled yet do not have Numbers. Again, that can't really remain the case. And I really, really, really, really, reeeeally don't want to resort to making Numbers up again. So Konami, if you really do have any representatives trawling this site and reading this... stop screwing me over! Just because you trainwrecked all intrigue in Zexal's plot doesn't mean you should stuff mine up. *ego*

(Good grief I feel like John Cena cutting a promo, this is embarrassing.)

All that said, putting all that gloomy stuff out of the way for a second, I really do want to see this through to the end. When I actually stopped to count the people I think are reading this fic and found myself up to about twenty, it makes me really happy that this story has so many readers who are enjoying it (even if some of you have been doing so in silence <_<). But the recent boost in the number of people commenting is really uplifting y'know. Sorry I have to tell the truth and just be blunt, spending hours (on an average timescale takes maybe twelve-sixteen hours, guesstimate) to plan a chapter, script the duel, write it all, check it and edit it and post it up with hyperlinks and everything... to for the longest time think you've only got five readers, it is disheartening. Sorry, but it just is. And now that more people have started reading or commenting and giving feedback; I don't mean just praise because that is lovely but also critisism and thoughts feedback over the last six or so chapters, or who are messaging me by other means than in this thread, it is really confidence boosting to see some many happy readers and does give me a bit more of a kick in the proverbials.

Oh; and Pacman. Amaretsu. Saber. Guu. Simdoggy. You guys have commented on pretty much every chapter from start and all through the quiet parts I mentioned and complained about and to now, even if it was just a few words of encouragement. Even if you were my only five readers, I'd have still finished it for you ;)

So yeah, I mean that's the position I'm in. I am working on planning the final arc. I know the full match card now... I can only script about three duels from it until Konami starts giving me a hand again but that's getting off the point. Got the main plot pretty much timescaled chapter by chapter as to whats happening and when, although finer details are still sketchy in places. Chapters 37 and 38 are coming along in planning as well, although the opening duel is one I can't do yet due to the damn Numbers thing. What I'm saying is... it's just going to take me a while, and it will be better for me taking a while. I don't wanna hide behind a wall of excuses of 'oh I can't finish it because Konami isn't making Numbers', because I bloody well am going to finish it. I can't leave this set of characters hanging, I can't let this plot go unresolved, I can't let these stories stay locked up in my head untold or some good duels go unfought, and I can't let all of you guys who are reading this and make me so damn addicted to doing this stuff down and hanging. I have started, so I will finish.

Eventually.

I know its not ideal, ideally with August coming up and everyone has more free time it would have been the best time for reading this. It's also good for me because work is going to be quieter the next few weeks, so I can do some planning and stuff on shift or some writing on any lieu days I might get. But the world isn't ideal I guess. Will try to keep this going with the two extra chapters (six I've been waiting for ABYR to be confirmed, five I have no excuse for not having it done yet. Sorry) I'm not saying this is going to take a year before it gets updated again, I should be shot if I let that happen, but its not getting done as quickly as I hoped or wanted. I certainly want to bring you the end of the stroy properly, and I want it to be as good as possible. Just thought I should keep you all informed was all.

Once again, thank you to every single person who has commented on this story since it was first posted. Thank you to everyone who has read it and continues to read it. Thank you to every one who has helped with ideas, duel writing, editing, giving me encouragement, giving me a good slap if need be and just who has been involved in any way. Thank you so so much. This story will get completed and the ending you all deserve. I promise.

Matt
[/quote][/spoiler]

Well, i just want to say thank you for writing something this enjoyable anyway. What would creative writing do without this fic here?

Good luck with the ending, particulalry given then Number situation. Let's hope Konami are nice...

Hopefully Konami will come up with at least 3 numbers then in the next couple of weeks, good luck with it though, and just know that I'll support you with it till the end, regardless of how long it takes.

On another note, my prediction for Izumi remains, and I'm predicting that new apocalypse guy on the throne will get the verz then, and maybe dark world for the other one that was revealed, either that it some sort of advance summon based deck, ancient gears maybe?

Yeah, I realise the Numbers issue is probably the biggest problem (barring writer's block, but I think everyone gets that).

Honestly? I've only read three fics on here. One is Dead Zone. I think you know the other two. Even saying that, I can see that you are an amazing writer, and that despite issues completely outside of your control, you have produced not just brilliant narrative, but amazingly well structured duels as well. I do hope that even after this you continue to write, even if it's nowhere near this kind of scale. I even read your little Coffee Shop story, and that was great too.

I think that before posting my comments, I was certainly not the only non-poster reading this, nor any of your other writing, and just because people don't post, doesn't mean that no-one cares. I imagine many people don't comment because they are afraid to review (thinking they aren't good at it) or simply don't know what to say. I'm sure you probably know that, but it's nice to be reminded occasionally.

I await more chapters with great anticipation, and maybe I can start planning stuff too. I've put things off for too long.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1342372098' post='5979080']
Well, i just want to say thank you for writing something this enjoyable anyway. What would creative writing do without this fic here?

Good luck with the ending, particulalry given then Number situation. Let's hope Konami are nice...
[/quote]

Gonna need it I think mate.

Good news, Coat of Arms got unveiled today!...

It's.... the same as Genome Heriter....

It's.... arguably not as good as Genome Heriter....

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1342389186' post='5979264']
Hopefully Konami will come up with at least 3 numbers then in the next couple of weeks, good luck with it though, and just know that I'll support you with it till the end, regardless of how long it takes.

On another note, my prediction for Izumi remains, and I'm predicting that new apocalypse guy on the throne will get the verz then, and maybe dark world for the other one that was revealed, either that it some sort of advance summon based deck, ancient gears maybe?
[/quote]

It's so frustrating, I just need three of them. Come on Tron, steal Kaito's Numbers and use them all on Yuma.

Ancient Gears is... out there... but Verz is definately going to impact in a big way. Because Verz are awesome... mwahaha.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1342455689' post='5979888']
Yeah, I realise the Numbers issue is probably the biggest problem (barring writer's block, but I think everyone gets that).

Honestly? I've only read three fics on here. One is Dead Zone. I think you know the other two. Even saying that, I can see that you are an amazing writer, and that despite issues completely outside of your control, you have produced not just brilliant narrative, but amazingly well structured duels as well. I do hope that even after this you continue to write, even if it's nowhere near this kind of scale. I even read your little Coffee Shop story, and that was great too.

I think that before posting my comments, I was certainly not the only non-poster reading this, nor any of your other writing, and just because people don't post, doesn't mean that no-one cares. I imagine many people don't comment because they are afraid to review (thinking they aren't good at it) or simply don't know what to say. I'm sure you probably know that, but it's nice to be reminded occasionally.

I await more chapters with great anticipation, and maybe I can start planning stuff too. I've put things off for too long.
[/quote]

Planning the first few duels of Arc 4, Progress is... slow.

Aw right, someone remembers the little coffee shop story. That's awesome, thanks dude. I'm really flattered. Hopefully I'll be able to produce a good ending to meet such expectations. :D

Yeah I know. I'm sorry I rant constantly at people who don't and its fair enough if they don't want to comment every chapter.

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1342456742' post='5979910']

[/quote]

Yeah basically.... Not a good start... I mean from the OCG effect, Genome Heriter is better in ever way...

Your probably going to have to rely on Faker having a Number... or 3.

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1342456742' post='5979910']

[/quote]
apart from the fact that Coat of Arms permanently negates and gains the effect

[quote name='~Dark Soul~' timestamp='1342456980' post='5979912']
well... Tron is gonna use Number 30 against Yuma in the next episode...so yea
[/quote]

[quote name='~Dark Soul~' timestamp='1342458510' post='5979935']
apart from the fact that Coat of Arms permanently negates and gains the effect
[/quote]

*double takes*

What? What?

Where did you come from? :blink:

Well, I guess maybe. I dunno I couldn't remember Genome's effect in its entirity and the wikia went don on me when I went to check. Damn that freaking awful wikia. It's going down on me even now and screwing me over from planning! :angry:

And Number 30? Really? They're just toying with me now.

Not cool Konami. Not cool.

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1342459684' post='5979953']
*double takes*

What? What?

Where did you come from? :blink:

Well, I guess maybe. I dunno I couldn't remember Genome's effect in its entirity and the wikia went don on me when I went to check. Damn that freaking awful wikia. It's going down on me even now and screwing me over from planning! :angry:

And Number 30? Really? They're just toying with me now.

Not cool Konami. Not cool.
[/quote]
Where'd i come from? from the shadows like a Ninja, similar to the Ninja Yuma will use in the next episode (Number 12)

i do hope we see more Numbers next week than Numbers 12 and 30, but a preview only shows so much, so its likely more Numbers will be featured (fingers crossed for new ones)

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1342465138' post='5980077']
But generally, whatever Heiriter uses the effect on gets smashed by it in the same turn. The perminant negate doesn't matter to it much.
[/quote]
...its not generally the effect negation that matters, but the permanent gain would matter, depending on who you used it on though

EDIT, OT: now that the whole of Japan had transformed into the world of Sin, would that mean random Malefic/Sin monsters are gonna be flying around, or someone in the next arc will be using Malefics/Sins?

[quote]Regarding Heraldic Numbers and other potential new Numbers[/quote]

The Heraldic Numbers are presenting me a problem because I don't really intend to use the archtype, cool as hell as I find it. Most characters decks with only a few exceptions were confirmed back in January, so the archtypes released in Galactic Overlord were of limited involvement, and the ones from Return of the Duelist which was the cutoff point for me have all been used together (they will be seen again soon, don't worry). I didn't really want to use Abyss Rising at all. This would have been fine and I would have happily used them in the same way as I have the two OOPArts Numbers... except damn Konami have made them ungeneric. So yeah... they're a problem.

[quote name='~Dark Soul~' timestamp='1342466139' post='5980097']
EDIT, OT: now that the whole of Japan had transformed into the world of Sin, would that mean random Malefic/Sin monsters are gonna be flying around, or someone in the next arc will be using Malefics/Sins?
[/quote]

Random monsters flying around causing chaos and generally killing people is not something new to me; readers of Armageddon know this. (Anyone remember Urusula's fate?) So yeah, there's a strong possibility that will be happening in Japan... and a few other places. As for someone using Malefics, I have looked at them before. But no, they won't be.

Speaking of Armageddon; fun fact - Fygmorke, the stories final boss, was originally going to use Malefics as his surprise trump cards in his Infernity deck, due to the way they can so easily be played. But I found them kinda... underwhelming, and I couldn't really see how to beat their boss in the way I had for what eventually became the final bosses, the Wicked Gods. So now you know.

I know you're not fond of it, but have you considered coming up with some of your own monsters? It's something I do because I personally enjoy it; I like to create a card(s) or series of cards for characters to use because it makes things different and exciting, but I can completely understand why some people are against it at the same time.

Archived