I'm a little scared....

OmegaWave

Here is the deal.

About 15-16 years ago, my Dad had a bad accident at work that gave him Hernias (Not sure how to spell it). He had to get special surgery to get them removed. The doctor said he would need surgery atleast once a year for the rest of his life. For each surgery that passes, his chances of survival grow thinner and thinner.....

This morning, he went in for his 14th surgery. He put this surgery off for about 2 years because we had a lawsuit against his old company he worked for. If he had gotten the surgery then, we wouldn't have gotten any money for another 2-3 years. Now that we won the lawsuit, he has gone into surgery.....I hope he comes out ok.

I am sure your dad will be fine.

The advances in medical technology are astonishing. This isn't like back when he went in for surgery #1. You wouldn't believe how many new things they have come out with in the last 14 years. I mean, in the last 3 years, we found a vaccine for cervical cancer! Not just a cure, but something to actually prevent it! Yes, the people who have it right now are out of luck, but that means from this day forward, there will be a huge drop and then absolutely no cervical cancer ever!

Look at AIDS patients. Before they only had a few months to live after diagnosis. Now we've managed to extend that to years.

My grandfather had so many heart complications and went in for so many surgeries that his medical record looked like an encyclopedia. He died at the age of 59 (smoking is what did it) but look how many serguries he went through. Like..20 or 30. Seriously it seemed like he was always in the hospital.

My paternal grandfather survived throat cancer until he was in his 70's!

I am confident your dad will be just fine. Medical science will continue to improve and so will he. He may not be able to avoid the surgeries, but I doubt that his life is going to be cut short by them.

Keep your chin up and think good thoughts. Try and keep him in high spirits too. If you are in a good mood, you heal faster ;)

Guaranteed fact.

wait' date=' i dropped science so guy's drop the abriviation and talk english, *shows the abriged series T-Shirt*.

[/quote']

Watch the news dude.

MRSA= Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) (usually pronounced as an initialism, "em-ar-ess-eh", but sometimes pronounced "mursa" or "meersa"), is a bacterium responsible for difficult-to-treat infections in humans. It may also be referred to as multiply-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ORSA). The organism is often sub-categorized as Community-Associated MRSA (CA-MRSA) or Hospital-Associated MRSA (HA-MRSA) depending upon the circumstances of acquiring disease, based on current data that these are distinct strains of the bacterial species.

MRSA is a resistant variation of the common bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. It has evolved an ability to survive treatment with beta-lactam antibiotics, including penicillin, methicillin, and cephalosporins. MRSA is especially troublesome in hospital-associated (nosocomial) infections. In hospitals, patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk for infection than the general public. Hospital staff who do not follow proper sanitary procedures may transfer bacteria from patient to patient.

MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the UK. It is now found worldwide. MRSA is often referred to in the press as a "superbug."

Staphylococcus...doesnt that cause Staph infections?

And if its bacteria, if you get to it in its early stages you should be fine with some antibiotics.

And don't worry about dying. I was diagnosed with a heart disorder and was told, quite literally:

"Any extreme strain on the heart, or high contact sports or activities has a 70% chance of death."

I could literally blow out my primary artery and die in a matter of seconds.

PLUS

I have arterial stenosis in the right side of my neck (meaning the blood doesn't flow as smoothly) and because of the defective heart valve, if any bacteria gets into my bloodstream and builds, or if even if I get high cholestorol, I increase my chances of death by another 80%.

Do you know what I do for a living?

I am a United States Marine. The most physical, highest contact activity you could ever hope to get into. Super Stressful all the time (because all I deal with all day, every day is senior Staff Non-Comissioned Officers and Officers).

I should be dead by now but you know why I'm not? Because I don't worry about it. Because I am a happy person and I keep myself in a happy mood all the time.

You stay happy, keep yourself in a good mood as much as possible, and I guarantee you, you will never get sick, you will never have serious medical problems (as long as you don't do something stupid to get them) and you will be fine.

You are young, and your body can bounce back from almost anything right now. Just live like you would if you never got the information in the first place. The more you worry, the higher the stress, the higher the stress, the more aggrivated everything gets, if its all aggrivated...well, you get the point.

Stay happy, stay healthy.

Its not just a saying for cheerios ;)

Yeah, mine is Bicuspid Aortic Heart Valve.

Two of the three leaflets in the valve in my Aortic Artery are fused together so running (minimum of 3 - 5 miles in the Corps) is a pain (literally). Otherwise, I just don't let it affect me. I found I can still do everything I need to here, I just have to work a little harder at it. It takes me a little more time for my body to get used to running at faster speeds and for longer distances than it does the normal person.

I can still out-sprint almost everyone here though ;)

I am very happy to hear that your dad is alright, Omegawave. Make sure to make use of the time you do have with each other.

Well' date=' good to hear that your dad is OK

Be happy that you even have an dad, my dad is long dead...........freaking car accidents and alcohol *sniff*

[/quote']

I, too, have lost my dad. In 2004 he finally succumbed to the cancer that had spread throughout his body. I really miss him....

Archived