Card Tips: Serial Spell

Exiro

SerialSpellDR3-EN-R.jpg

Here are some tips with Serial Spell. Let's see what it can be used for.

First of all

There is a similar card, Magical Stone Excavation. It can give you any Spell card back. But that requires exactly 2 cards from your hand as a cost. Serial Spell, however, requires your complete hand. So set any cards you can set and summon any monsters you can summon before you use this card. It will reduce the cost. But note that you need at least one card in your hand to be able to activate it!

Card Destruction

I got this one from Yugioh Wikia.

When you activate Card Destruction, you can activate this card. Since it is quick-play, it will activate before the original Card Destruction, so you will have to pay the cost (all cards in your hand) and you will not be affected by Card Destruction. However, your opponent will be affected, twice. This can be very useful in a Mill deck, because you will perhaps first let your opponent draw a lot of cards (Chainsaw Insect, The Bistro Butcher, Destiny Hero - Defender), and then let them draw to their death. If your opponent's hand counts 8 cards (This is possible if you inflicted damage with The Bistro Butcher and use this trick in MP2), and he has less then twice that amount (16), then you will win if your opponent does not negate it.

Additionally, milling all of you opponent's deck might be a little hard (especially when playing against noobs with 211 cards), so you might instead want to hurt your opponent. If you have Magical Thorn on the field, then you will certainly hurt your opponent. This is how much damage you will deal to your opponent:

2 * 500 * cards in opponent's hand.

8 cards in his hand means 8000 damage! That's hurts!

Monster Reborn

A friend of mine thought of this, and I improved it.

It is legal now, and it's a Normal Spell, so why not? You can instantly Special Summon 2 monsters from either graveyard. This can be very useful later in the duel, or in a dark deck that sends strong monsters to the grave early, and might as well end up in an OTK.

Note that you must first discard your hand, and then Special Summon from grave, so if you couldn't get rid of the last two cards in your hand because they are high-level, you can special summon them directly to your field.

But again, it is a little hard to make this an OTK, since you need really strong monsters, and can't use the cards in your hand (They will either be discarded or set, and in none of those cases can you use them the same turn) to boost your monsters (Think of Limiter Removal, United We Stand). So unless you have already set those cards, you need more cards. And since Monster Reborn Special Summons from your grave, Card of Safe Return will be very handy. Let's say that it's later in the duel, and you have 2 of those on the field, then you will first discard your hand, then Special Summon 2 monsters from your Grave, thus drawing 4 new cards afterwards!

Exchange

The ruling of Exchange says that you cannot activate Exchange if you have no other cards in your hand, but if it is already activated, and Serial Spell is chained, then you would have no hand to be robbed from, and you have already activated two Serial Spells, thus robbing your opponent from 2 cards from his hand. This might heavily interrupt your opponent's plans.

This is not sure and it would be appreciated if someone could confirm this.

For the Exchange combo' date=' I think this is what happens: after you lose your hand, Serial Spell's effect resolves, giving you one of your opponent's hand cards. However, then Exchange's effect resolves, giving you another of your opponent's hand cards, [i']but also giving your opponent the card you took from them with Serial Spell[/i]. So your opponent only loses one card.

Thanks for helping, Crab Helmet.

No Payment

When you activate Serial Spell, it doesn't copy any payments, so if you activate for example The Beginning of the End, you only need to discard 5 of the monsters to get a total of 6 draws!

You can also use Brain Control and chain it with Serial Spell. Even with double payment it would be worth it, but you really just need to pay 800.

DOH!

Your opponent uses a Dark World deck.

You activate Monster Reborn to Special Summon a monster, and Activate Serial Spell to chain it. And at once, your opponent uses Dark Deal! Your opponent discards to random cards, and they are both Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World. Your opponent special summoned 2 monsters instead of you, and he nuked your entire field. You have no cards in your hand and no cards on the field. You are so, so doomed now.

So, what do you guys think of it? Should I post tips more often? Did you like the DOH? I'd like to hear, and reps are appreciated. :)

For the Exchange combo, I think this is what happens: after you lose your hand, Serial Spell's effect resolves, giving you one of your opponent's hand cards. However, then Exchange's effect resolves, giving you another of your opponent's hand cards, but also giving your opponent the card you took from them with Serial Spell. So your opponent only loses one card.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Exchange combo' date=' I think this is what happens: after you lose your hand, Serial Spell's effect resolves, giving you one of your opponent's hand cards. However, then Exchange's effect resolves, giving you another of your opponent's hand cards, [i']but also giving your opponent the card you took from them with Serial Spell[/i]. So your opponent only loses one card.

I think it's true, so I quoted it in the starting post. PM me if you don't want this.

Archived