[LOCK PLEASE] [The Final Episode] Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel: Episode 74/75: The Ultimate End Game

Synchronized

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much, yes. It's going to fill us in on the backstory for some of the characters we've yet to meet, so that when the story picks back up with Season 3, we'll know exactly what's going on. It'll save me from having to write 2-3 Chapters of the character(s) just telling their stories in the current time because you'll already be more than aware of what's going on.

Naturally, I don't think this arc will be as long as the previous arc was, if only because I'd like to keep the story at a reasonable length and if every filler arc was 15 Chapters, we'd end up with a 200-300 Chapter Story. As cool as I suppose that could be, it's crazy restrictive and too formulaic for me. I'd much rather go with a pace as I go along, knowing how I want it to end up, so to speak.

I appreciate the constant feedback and encourage anyone whose reading but not commenting to please do so! It only takes a minute and lets me know you're reading/following the story!

[spoiler=Chapter 17: A Mysterious Challenger Arrives, Part One]

Episode 17: A Mysterious Challenger Arrives, Part One
“So, if you don’t mind me asking, where the hell is he?” The entire layout of the Underground Arena was miserable to try and navigate. Hiyoru had told Kiryu to meet him at the entrance, for Kiryu had never played there before, whereas plenty of Hiyoru’s clients were given such an “honor”. About twenty minutes late, Kiryu had finally arrived, and he was anxious to get the duel over with.

Hiyoru was carrying a flashlight, which he’d promptly turned on at the sight of Kiryu’s appearance. The Arena itself had a lighting system, although faulty, that worked rather effectively. However, finding your way there wasn’t so simple. An expansion project had begun a few years back that saw the Arena “pushed back”, while a foundation of sorts was built on top of it. Due to a lack of finances, the project was abandoned, leaving the “creation” to wither away.

The entrance to the Underground Arena was a small oval opening, no more than six feet high. Kiryu was barely able to fit, and Hiyoru had an even more difficult time. “It’s not much further in; about a minute or two of walking, and then we’re in the clear. Quite literally.”

“Who holds a duel in such a sketchy location?” Kiryu asked, rolling his eyes although Hiyoru couldn’t see it. “And what the hell is this guy so secretive for anyway? You can’t hide in the Pro Leagues; what’s he going to have all his duels off camera? Get real.”

Hiyoru shook his head. “Don’t get snappy with me; you’re the one who insisted on this. I told you from the get-go I didn’t like this idea.”

“There’s a difference, Hiyoru,” Kiryu retorted. “You don’t like this idea because you’re not confident enough in my ability to win and you think that all the work we’ve put in will have been for nothing. I don’t like this because I’m tired and I’d rather sleep as opposed to navigating my way through some sort of dueling cave.”

“Always so insistent in putting no effort into things,” Hiyoru sighed. “You’re the best duelist I’ve ever seen, and it is that reason alone that I marvel at the thought, of how wonderful a duelist you would be if you actually put even a tiny bit of effort in.”

“And it’s my fault that the need to put effort in hasn’t come up?”

“You’re missing the entire point,” Hiyoru said. “Forget it.”

“No, I think you’re the one who’s misunderstanding things, Hiyoru.” The sudden change in Kiryu’s voice caused Hiyoru to stop in his tracks. “Do you think I’m happy with this life? Do you think it pleases me to spend every day sleeping and laying around because nothing challenges me enough? It’s not arrogance, damnit. It’s that I have no desire to acknowledge how awful it is to lack these elements that everyone else seems to have. Something to make worth my while, do you understand that? I’m not sure you do. You have the ideal life here, training new prospects and getting large amounts of money for doing so. Not to mention, you’re free to come and go from this island as you please. Some of us don’t have that luxury. So before you start judging me, take these things into consideration.”
“Kiryu...” Hiyoru’s words cut off.

“Now let’s go,” Kiryu said. “The less time I have to spend here, the better.”

---

“It appears our guest has arrived,” a voice said. “Are you ready for this?”

“Of course,” the second voice was that of a young girl, probably no older than fourteen or fifteen. Her face was concealed by the darkness in the cave as the two of them stood, conversing discreetly. “I’ve never been so excited for a duel in my life.”

“Do not take him lightly,” the first voice responded, a stern tone in his voice. “Take him seriously.”

“What's that?” The girl asked. “You don't think I can defeat him?”

“Oh, no, don't be fooled,” he replied. “You are by far the best duelist on this island, and far better than most of the pros I've seen and trained before. However, this kid is not like most duelists. He lacks passion, but what he lacks in that department, he makes up for in skill. Getting one over on him will be nearly impossible. If you want to win, you have to do so by simply playing with the most effective strategies you can come up with.”

“Isn't that the same way I should be playing every game?” She asked.

After a brief silence, the man said, “Funny. But I don't think you understand the importance of the situation. This boy one of the few duelists that has a true chance of defeating you. It is very much a possibility that you will lose, and I cannot help you to defeat him. The Official will be watching the duel from an undisclosed location. If you can win here, you'll be on your way to the pros at only sixteen years old.”

“I can sense a presence approaching,” she said. “One last question then. Is the mask really necessary? If he is as strong an adversary as you say, should I not give him the respect of knowing my true identity as we duel?”

“Honorable, indeed.” He was quiet for a moment. “However, it is not worth the risk. I have assured the League of your true identity. You've come so close that risking it now would be foolish, wouldn't you agree?”

“I guess...” The girl hesitated. “It just gives me a weird feeling.”

“Don't worry about it,” he smiled, putting his hand on her shoulder. “It's just your nerves. Now go, defeat him.”

---

“You are a brilliant strategist, Kiryu.” Hiyoru said somewhat randomly as they approached the entrance to the stadium. “I will stay here and watch from afar; I’d prefer not to be caught in the crossfire. Try not to let your confidence get to your head.”

Kiryu didn’t look back at him as he titled his head upwards only slightly. “I will win this duel with as much effort as is required.”
[i]I hope so...[/i] Hiyoru couldn’t help but worry. Everything they had worked for, it could all be lost so easily. Such a weird feeling about this.

“Listen, I’m not sure who you are or where you are,” Kiryu called out nonchalantly. “But I can barely see a damn thing around here and I’d rather not waste my time with this duel. So show yourself and we can get this thing underway.”

“As you wish,” a deep voice responded. Wherever it was coming from, it sounded somewhat muffled. It didn’t take long for Kiryu to get his answer, as a figure walked out of the shadows from the exterior of the arena. The voice was coming from a person slightly shorter than Kiryu himself, with no distinguishable features at all; dressed in all white. The only thing that stood out as somewhat odd was the fact that he was wearing a mask. A silver mask that covered his entire face with the exception of his eyes, which were a bright shade of green. “We shall duel.”

“So you wearing that thing because you’re ugly or is there some sort of underlying meaning behind it?” Kiryu asked. Not really pulling any punches, apparently.

“How interesting of you to insult your opponent so blindly as though it would give you the upper hand,” he said. “I should warn you, so that you don’t waste your time, I will not be affected by insults; they will not throw me off my game.”

“You wanna know something funny?” Kiryu asked, jumping off the bottom step, the last in a set of three that led down into the arena. “I don’t see you as an opponent that mind games are necessary on. That was just my curiosity talking.”

“I’m afraid I won’t justify that remark with a response.” The masked man activated his duel disk, one that was a sleek black in color, contradicting the remainder of his outfit but also adding a weird mysteriousness about him. “Shall we?”

[i]Kiryu, you better not lose this duel. I hope you know what you’re doing.[/i] Hiyoru didn’t say anything, but he had a suspicion. More of a guess, really, as to who the one behind the training of this other high-level duelist might be. Houshou Island, for the longest time, had three Scouters for the Pro Leagues. There was Hiyoru himself, Hunter, his female colleague that he had worked with on many occasions, and then a third. Several years ago, that third had disappeared. There had been rumors that he left the island, but some believed he was still here in some capacity. Regardless of how naïve it might have seemed, Hiyoru had long-since believed that he was still somewhere on Houshou.

“I suppose,” Kiryu nodded, activating his duel disk. “Why don’t you make the first move?”

“I was going to offer you the same gesture,” he said. “However, to show you how foolish you are, I shall make the first move. Your arrogance will beyond the shadow of a doubt be the reason for your failure.”

“Eh, I’ve heard that before,” Kiryu shrugged. “So you got a name or something?”

“Because this is the one and only time we will ever speak, I do not believe sharing such information is necessary,” the masked man drew his starting hand. Kiryu tried to get a read for it by the look in his eyes, but the expression did not change. “However, for the purpose of the duel, you can call me K.”

“Alright then, K it is.” Kiryu said. “The name’s Kiryu. Kiryu Ryoutari.”

“I’m aware,” K drew his sixth card, giving his hand a once-over before turning his attention back to Kiryu. “You’re quite the local legend around here. The duelist everyone knows of but refuses to talk about due to your lackluster attitude towards everything. I’m going to give you a lesson in humility. No more wasting time, let’s do this.”

“Works for me.”

“Fair enough then, I shall begin with this,” K placed a card in the duel disk. Within moments, the area around them morphed into a pre-modern village, with small huts and caverns surrounding them on all sides. “I activate the Spell Card Secret Village of the Spellcasters!”

[spoiler=Secret Village of the Spellcasters]
Field Spell Card
If you control a Spellcaster-Type monster and your opponent does not, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. If you do not control a Spellcaster-Type monster, you cannot activate Spell Cards.[/spoiler]

“A village inside a cave?” Kiryu said. “Well, that’s new. Guessing it’s not just for show, either.”

“You’d be guessing correctly,” K answered. “As long as my village is standing and I control a Spellcaster-Type monster, you are forbidden from activating any and all Spell Cards.”

“And, here comes the monster.” Kiryu muttered under his breath.

“Right you are. I call to the field my Amores of Prophecy!”

[spoiler=Amores of Prophecy]
***/EARTH
Spellcaster / Effect
Once per turn: You can reveal 1 “Spellbook” Spell Card in your hand; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Prophecy” monster from your hand.
300/2000[/spoiler]

[i]Thing’s not gonna pack much of a punch.[/i] Kiryu wasn’t worried about the monster itself. It was relatively small in size, human in form with an oddly shaped weapon, what looked like a sword, resting on its back. It wasn’t made for attacking, though. With two-thousand Defense Points, it made for a nice wall, but more importantly, it made the Village active. Unless he could get over that monster, he’d be unable to play any Spell Cards. [i]Oh well, I’ll have to figure out a way to get around it.[/i]

“Do you realize now what you arrogance has brought you, Kiryu Ryoutari?” K placed a card face-down, signaling the end of his turn. “If you had taken the first move instead of passing it to me, you would have been able to properly set up the field in order to prevent me from locking down your Spell Cards so easily.”

“I guess you’re right,” Kiryu said. “But whatever, it’s my go anyway. I’ll go ahead and Summon Tour Guide from the Underworld.”

A short girl with dark pink hair and a shoulder bag, marked with a skull that matched the rest of her underworld-themed outfit.

[spoiler=Tour Guide from the Underworld]
***/DARK
Fiend / Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 Fiend-Type monster from your Deck. Its effect(s) are negated and it cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.
1000/600[/spoiler]

“Once Tour Guide hits the field, her special ability activates,” Kiryu explained as he searched his Deck for a monster card, showing it to his opponent before placing it on the field. “And what it does is allow me to call Sangan to the field.”

Looking like nothing more than a ball of fur, a small critter with three eyes appeared alongside the Underworld’s prettiest chauffeur. At Kiryu’s command, both creatures morphed into miniature blue spheres, shooting upwards into the sky.

“Since I’ve got two Level 3 monsters on my field, I can overlay the two of them to Xyz Summon the Rank 3 Wind-Up Zenmaines.”

[spoiler=Wind-Up Zenmaines]
***/FIRE
Machine / Effect
If this card would be destroyed: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from it instead. Then, during the End Phase, target 1 card on the field and destroy it.
1500/2100[/spoiler]

“Hold on, I’m confused,” The look in K’s eyes was that of a perplexed individual, for sure. “Instead of trying to find a way out of this situation, you play defensively and make no effort to do anything?”

“I already told you, didn’t I?” Kiryu asked. “I don’t see any reason to actually try against you at all.”

[b]To be continued...[/spoiler][/b]

Making some good progress. Probably about 8-10 more episodes of this filler before we get back to the main story, I'd say.

It's TRON. I think... Only he appears to be using a better deck XD.

Or its Tommy Lee Jones... So long as my MIB knowledge hasn't abandoned me.

As ever, its good, hoping the duel isnt to dragged out. and I'm hoping this mysterious masked man lives up to his immediate impression.

Is he one of the loving described by there voice people from earlier?

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1345225446' post='6009282']
It's TRON. I think... Only he appears to be using a better deck XD.

Or its Tommy Lee Jones... So long as my MIB knowledge hasn't abandoned me.

As ever, its good, hoping the duel isnt to dragged out. and I'm hoping this mysterious masked man lives up to his immediate impression.

Is he one of the loving described by there voice people from earlier?
[/quote]

Haven't gotten nearly far enough in ZeXal to be able to use a character's elements effectively. :(

The Duel will end in the next episode; I didn't want to make it be too long especially because there's a lot to write in this arc in a short amount of episodes.

I'm not sure what you meant by that last one.

Honestly, I leave the post for a couple days, and BOOM!... You have three new chapters. How do you do this so fast? I feel bad for a couple people who read this last a couple weeks ago... now they have several chapters to catch up on.

Season 1 ended with a bang, with a bunch of fighting and a bit of mystery, but I originally thought Sora had a unique power... then I find out that there are others like him, which isn't so bad, giving the story stronger antagonists. Unfortuanately, I thought of him as relatively special, comparing him to Kenji, and pretty much everyone else, and then Kenji jumps in and activates a power of his own. This drops the awesomeness of Sora by around 50%, and now we have a fighting character AND a Dueling/fighting character. Unless that sudden burst of strength is a one-time thing... Sora's coolness is in danger.

So... Season 2 is somewhere completely different... some kind of Duel Academy. It was okay until the character showed up at the dueling site, and the scene shifted. That part was extremely confusing, making me think some teen girl is dueling, but the its this huge guy. That doesn't make much sense to me... unless that's the girl in disguise.

When the duel started, the main character's playing basic. He does the typical Rapid Xyz summon, but he summons a simple monster, probably planning to destroy that Field Spell. Anyway, I hope you aren't planning on using Sangan's ability at the moment, because if he's detatched, it doesn't count as 'from the field to the graveyard'. I thought of a move that could have been way mor effective. (Using Goblindberg and another Level 4 monster to Summon Zenmaister, using the effect to switch the battle position, then deal a large chunk or damage.) I guess it doesn't have to be what I said, but seriously, the opponent had NO face-downs. If he played something like I suggested, he'd be in the lead. Honestly, I see his plan, but... it's not that skilled. And on top of that, I'm sure his lax attitude will cost him the duel, or at least almost all his life points. No offense, but he's being an idiot. If he wants to win, he has to play as well as he can.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1345245184' post='6009569']
Honestly, I leave the post for a couple days, and BOOM!... You have three new chapters. How do you do this so fast? I feel bad for a couple people who read this last a couple weeks ago... now they have several chapters to catch up on.[/quote]

I'm not really sure. I'm doing really well right now with ideas and everything and I just write, so I can't really explain it. I'm content with where the story is right now.

[quote=Randomflyingobjects]Season 1 ended with a bang, with a bunch of fighting and a bit of mystery, but I originally thought Sora had a unique power... then I find out that there are others like him, which isn't so bad, giving the story stronger antagonists. Unfortuanately, I thought of him as relatively special, comparing him to Kenji, and pretty much everyone else, and then Kenji jumps in and activates a power of his own. This drops the awesomeness of Sora by around 50%, and now we have a fighting character AND a Dueling/fighting character. Unless that sudden burst of strength is a one-time thing... Sora's coolness is in danger.[/quote]

Sora is...different. He duels, but he won't be dueling too frequently. He's more of a fighter, etc. Of course his backstory has only just begun to be explained, so there's some cool things to see that will be introduced in Season 3 when we get back to the current time.

[quote=Randomflyingobjects]So... Season 2 is somewhere completely different... some kind of Duel Academy. It was okay until the character showed up at the dueling site, and the scene shifted. That part was extremely confusing, making me think some teen girl is dueling, but the its this huge guy. That doesn't make much sense to me... unless that's the girl in disguise.[/quote]

Season 2 is set ten years in the past on Houshou Island; it's a fictional place created for the sake of explaining some back story. It's not current time, and it will be relevant. It'll make more sense once the Season is finished. Regarding the girl, that was supposed to confuse you. Have you forgotten the mystery element I love so much? You'll just have to wait and find out for that one.

[quote=Randomflyingobjects]When the duel started, the main character's playing basic. He does the typical Rapid Xyz summon, but he summons a simple monster, probably planning to destroy that Field Spell. Anyway, I hope you aren't planning on using Sangan's ability at the moment, because if he's detatched, it doesn't count as 'from the field to the graveyard'. I thought of a move that could have been way mor effective. (Using Goblindberg and another Level 4 monster to Summon Zenmaister, using the effect to switch the battle position, then deal a large chunk or damage.) I guess it doesn't have to be what I said, but seriously, the opponent had NO face-downs. If he played something like I suggested, he'd be in the lead. Honestly, I see his plan, but... it's not that skilled. And on top of that, I'm sure his lax attitude will cost him the duel, or at least almost all his life points. No offense, but he's being an idiot. If he wants to win, he has to play as well as he can.
[/quote]

I'm so glad you said everything you just said in that paragraph. That's exactly the type of response I was expecting and hoping for. Let's see how it plays out. :D

Thanks so much for the feedback!

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1345252425' post='6009672']
I'm not really sure. I'm doing really well right now with ideas and everything and I just write, so I can't really explain it. I'm content with where the story is right now. [b]I just can't seem to find the time for my own. Well, at least I get to read more.[/b]

Sora is...different. He duels, but he won't be dueling too frequently. He's more of a fighter, etc. Of course his backstory has only just begun to be explained, so there's some cool things to see that will be introduced in Season 3 when we get back to the current time. [b]I wasn't expecting him to be a major duelist, but as I said, he kind of lost some steam when you through in Kenji's power.[/b]

Season 2 is set ten years in the past on Houshou Island; it's a fictional place created for the sake of explaining some back story. It's not current time, and it will be relevant. It'll make more sense once the Season is finished. Regarding the girl, that was supposed to confuse you. Have you forgotten the mystery element I love so much? You'll just have to wait and find out for that one. [b]I figured as much...[/b]

I'm so glad you said everything you just said in that paragraph. That's exactly the type of response I was expecting and hoping for. Let's see how it plays out. :D [b]Nuts. I have to wait a whole hour for the rest of the duel. (That IS how long it takes you... right?)[/b]

Thanks so much for the feedback! [b]That's what I'm here for. The more I comment the quicker your chapters go up. (I assume)[/b]
[/quote]

[spoiler=Episode 18: A Mysterious Challenger Arrives, Part Two]

Episode 18: A Mysterious Challenger Arrives, Part Two

[i]With the recent events in New Domino City escalating to far more serious heights, a new enemy by the name of Kimora was introduced and through a hard-fought effort, just barely defeated. In order to understand how this came to be, we’ve traveled back in time about ten years, to the land of Houshou Island, a plateau off the cost of North America. The island is home to many aspiring duelists, but also many failures as well. With only two Pro League scouters on the entire island and travel fees far higher than most other locations, only the best of the best can truly leave without risking their own lives in the process.[/i]

[i]Now, a young prospect by the name of Kiryu Ryoutari, with a carefree personality and the appearance of an individual who cannot take anything seriously, or put in enough effort to actually try, has – through pure skill alone – made his way to the top, and is mere steps away from making his way to the Pro Leagues, where he hopes to find answers to the longing questions that are his purpose in life. Unfortunately, his path has been blocked by a nameless individual referred to as ‘K’, a duelist who has lived on the island as well, and has been secretly training and making connections within the Pro Leagues.[/i]

[i]If Kiryu cannot defeat this challenger, he will be forced to stay on Houshou Island, and everything he has worked for up to this point will be for not. Is he up to the task?[/i]

---

“Your confidence is infuriating,” K scowled, overwhelmed with anger. “How could the Pro Leagues actually consider someone so snarky and conceited for this position? Dueling is supposed to be about respect and competition, but you treat it like you’re just above everyone else. I will not allow someone like you to make it to the Pros, it would be a great disrespect to this game.”

“That’s great,” Kiryu scratched the back of his head. “Do me a favor and save the speeches for later. If I was in the mood for lectures I’d be in class right now instead of here. You want to shut me up so badly? Then proceed with the duel. It’s your move.”

Kiryu could see the visible rage building in K’s eyes, but he paid it very little attention. In fact, he hadn’t even looked at his entire hand. The first card he’d drawn was Tour Guide, and so it was the first move he made. He’d given a quick glance, but taking any time to think of some kind of scheme hadn’t been on his mind at all; he simply waited.

“There will be a lesson taught through this duel.” The monotone in K’s voice was different from his usual, assertive demeanor. He was genuinely pissed. “That I guarantee. I suppose it is my turn, and I shall begin with the Spellbook of Power!”

[spoiler=Spellbook of Power]
Normal Spell Card
Target 1 Spellcaster-Type monster you control: It gains 1000 ATK, until the End Phase. If it destroys an opponent’s monster by battle during this turn: You can add 1 “Spellbook” Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Power” per turn.[/spoiler]

[b]Amores of Prophecy = 300 + 1000 = 1300[/b]

“But I am not done yet, because I am also activating a second, Spellbook of Duplication!”

[spoiler=Spellbook of Duplication]
Quick-Play Spell Card
This card can only be activated as Chain Link 2 or higher in response to the activation of a “Spellbook” Spell Card. Activate the effect of that card as this card’s effect. You can only activate 1 “Spellbook of Duplication” per turn.[/spoiler]

“Pretty basic play,” Kiryu replied, smirking. “Power up your monster to the point where it can take out mine, then allow you to search for not one, but two different “Spellbook” cards from your Deck, effectively preventing the loss of hand advantage.”

“It is just a trait of being a skilled duelist,” the warrior stood from a kneeling position to a fighting stance, with its temporary boost in power, prepared to take down the only opposition it faced. “Something you wouldn’t know anything about. You’re just a kid with some skill who thinks he’s on top of the world. Prepare to have your pedestal cut out from underneath you. Go, Amores of Prophecy, help his oversized play toy unwind with Power Blast!”

Using the power lent to it from the Spellbook, the warrior made a fist and tried to break straight through the armor of the mechanical Zenmaines, who simply stood. One of the two blue spheres hovering above its shoulders disappeared, but it was still very much intact.

“Heh,” Hiyoru responded from the sidelines. Out loud, but quiet enough that no one heard his words. “What kind of trick is he pulling here?”

“I don’t understand, your monster, it’s still intact!” K exclaimed. “What is this, it should have been destroyed from my Amores’ attack!”

“Rookie Mistake Number One,” As he spoke, Kiryu made sure not to look in his opponent’s eyes. No point in giving that recognition. “Understanding your opponent’s cards is the deciding factor to winning and losing a duel. You can have the best, most well-designed strategy there is, but if you cannot execute it without your opponent being able to interfere, you will surely be disappointed.”

“Shut up!” K interrupted, fuming. “I didn’t ask for your advice. For that matter, I’m much better than you! Now, will you go?”

“Essentially your problem exists in the fact that you thought trading temporary hand disadvantage for the chance to clear my field and restore it later in the turn was a brilliant move.” Kiryu continued explaining, despite K’s complaints. “Don’t get me wrong; it was much better than the move of an average duelist. But you didn’t consider what could happen if your plan was to backfire. By simply using one of Zenmaines’ Overlay Units, I can prevent its destruction.”

“Well that’s just fantastic.”

“I wasn’t finished. So rude.” Kiryu sighed. “If that was all I could do, you’d be in the clear. With just the one face-down card, you’ve left yourself wide open.”

“Are you unable to understand such simple mechanics?” K asked. “I’m not sure if it’s just your confidence or if you think you can bluff me in some way, but my Amores is safe and sound. And since changing your monster to attack mode to launch an attack on your turn would leave it at risk of taking significant amounts of damage, there’s really nothing you can do right now, is there?”

“Man, why are you so frustrating?” Kiryu drew a card from his Deck; it was clear it was his turn. No point in wasting much more time when he could do much more to bring this duel to a close sooner. As he did so, the metal claw on Zenmaines’ right arm shot out, enveloping Amores and squeezing him until he became a pixelated explosion. “This is what I was trying to get to. Since Zenmaines was forced to use an Overlay Unit, he has to destroy something on the field. And your Amores seems like a viable choice.”

[i]He just took out my only monster![/i] K felt a sense of panic rush over him. [i]He’s only played one card since the duel began and he’s…winning. I’m going to make him pay for this![/i]

“Six cards in hand, and one monster on the field.” Kiryu said. “Guess I’ll just end my turn again.”

“Are you mocking me again?!” K clenched his fists tightly, trying to remain calm. “Not making any moves because you don’t have to?! Because I’m not good enough to actually try and beat me?! You won’t get away with underestimating me, no matter how many times I have to say it!”

“Let’s see if this gets through to you! I play the Trap Card Hidden Spellbook Generation!”

[spoiler=Hidden Spellbook Generation]
Normal Trap Card
Banish 1 “Spellbook” Spell Card from your Graveyard. Both players draw 1 card, then your opponent discards 1 card.[/spoiler]

“Since the game began, you’ve paid very little attention to your hand,” K said as both of them draw a card per the card’s effect. “Now, I’m giving you no other choice. All the resources you’re saving up in your hand are going to be put to the test, so go, discard something!”

“Hm...” That was all Kiryu said as he placed a Spell Card, ‘Heavy Storm’, into the Graveyard.

[i]What the—?! That card he just discarded...it can’t be.[/i] It didn’t make any sense. Why would Kiryu have discarded Heavy Storm, the card he could have very well played during his last turn? With Heavy Storm, he would’ve been able to destroy the Secret Village and Hidden Spellbook Generation, which would’ve given him a major advantage, having access to all of his cards again. Instead, he just held it there, and not only that, willingly discarded it. Wasting a card like that, it was a concept K couldn’t wrap his mind around.

“Is that all?” Kiryu asked.

[i]I must admit, if he’s playing some kind of mind game here, he’s got even me confused.[/i] Hiyoru watched the duel closely, his presence unfelt by the duelists. [i]Why he wouldn’t have used Heavy Storm to clear the field while he had the opportunity is puzzling.[/i]

“What kind of joke is this?!”

“Let me offer you some advice,” Kiryu retorted, “Try and keep your composure. In a duel of such high stakes, allowing yourself to be caught off guard will almost surely result in defeat.”

“Shut up!” K looked over the cards in his hand. So many options, but he wasn’t quite sure what to choose from. The longer the duel went on, the greater he felt the anger inside of him becoming. Kiryu was going to learn the hard way that disrespecting him was not to be tolerated. “I don’t need advice from you. Now let’s see how much you like being mocked! I suppose instead of doing anything, I’ll simply end my turn.” [i]This should throw him off. Once he draws and skips again, I’ll have had the time to complete my ideal combo. Since I activated a “Spellbook” card this turn, I have to wait until next turn to really bring this duel to a close, but it won’t matter. He thinks that I’m such a joke, and there’s no reason for him to even take me seriously. I’ll show him.[/i]

“You really are an idiot, aren’t you?” Kiryu smiled, adding more fury to his already furious opponent. “I have a question for you. Did you think that by just ending your turn and leaving yourself wide open, I wouldn’t take such an opportunity to attack you?”

“The moves you make will not affect me,” K replied angrily. “I’ve already won this duel.”

“This was easier than I expected it to be. Still confused over there, Hiyoru?” Kiryu shot his mentor a friendly smile. “For someone hyped up as the next big thing, I never thought such a simple bait would work, but it appears you’ve actually proven me wrong.”

“Bait?” K was fuming. “What the hell do you mean?!”

“I never really had a doubt I’d win. But I never expected it to be this easy. I was sure that someone as good as you’re supposed to be would really challenge me. When this duel began, you immediately began to assume that my game plan was to do nothing, as a way of mocking you and making it seem like I didn’t see you as a challenger at all. By sitting on Zenmaines and not making any other moves, when it was more than obvious that I could have, I allowed you to believe that you had to go all-out to get me to actually try. I thought by doing that I would force you to make your best possible plays, and since I would have conserved my resources up to that point, battling back against the best you had to offer would have surely ended in my favor.” Kiryu looked at Hiyoru for a brief moment; he could tell by the look in his mentor’s eyes that he had finally realized what his goal was from the beginning. “I’d guess Heavy Storm was the game-changer. While I could have used it, with Zenmaines in play I had no need to, and once you saw me discard it, you snapped. Much earlier than I expected. By ending your turn and leaving your field wide-open, you opened the door for me to play just one card, one that would guarantee my victory.”

“You mean all the while I thought you—” K stumbled over his words.

“I was never intending to disrespect you at all,” Kiryu interrupted. “That’s not how you treat an opponent. Otherwise, you’ll lose. But now I must say, seeing you lose your cool so easily, I’m not sure I see you as a challenger at all.”

[i]Absolutely brilliant.[/i] Hiyoru remarked. [i]He managed to throw me off but I can’t believe I didn’t see that before.[/i]

“And tell me, how do you plan to win in one turn, Kiryu?”

“Oh, that’s with this.” He placed a monster onto his duel disk. A small white rabbit, sporting a pair of goggles on its forehead sprung out of the card and onto the field. “Summon, Rescue Rabbit.”

[spoiler=Rescue Rabbit]
****/EARTH
Beast / Effect
You can banish this face-up card to Special Summon 2 Normal Monsters from your Deck with the same name. Destroy them during the End Phase. You can only activate the effect of “Rescue Rabbit” once per turn.
300/100[/spoiler]

“Before you ask anything else, allow me to demonstrate what this little critter is capable of,” Kiryu said, as the rabbit leapt into the air, disappearing from the field. “When I banish it, Rescue Rabbit can grab two Normal Monsters from my Deck, as long as they’ve got the same name, so check it out, two copies of Noble Knight Artorigus!”

A bright flash of light struck the field as two warriors, identical in size, stood next to one another, wielding monstrous swords. The golden armor in which they both were clad stood out over the near-darkness in the dimly-lit arena.

“Two monsters from one card?!” K was visibly shaking. [i]What kind of duelist is he...pretending to be completely dis-interested but far more focused than I was the entire time? How can someone be that...more importantly, how could I have let myself fall for such a trick?[/i]

“Whatt’ya say we finish this one up?” Kiryu laughed. “The smell of this cave is starting to get to me.”

[b]To be continued...[/b][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Episode 19: A Mysterious Challenger Arrives, Part Three]

A bright flash of light struck the field as two warriors, identical in size, stood next to one another, wielding monstrous swords. The golden armor in which they both were clad stood out over the near-darkness in the dimly-lit arena.

“Two monsters from one card?!” K was visibly shaking. [i]What kind of duelist is he...pretending to be completely dis-interested but far more focused than I was the entire time? How can someone be that...more importantly, how could I have let myself fall for such a trick?[/i]

“You said when the duel began that a lesson would be taught, didn’t you?” Kiryu’s arm shot outwards, as a card materialized in his hand, and he placed it onto the field. “Then let’s proceed with that! I Overlay both Noble Knights to Xyz Summon Blade Armor Ninja.”

The two warriors, clad in golden armor, materialized into spheres that matched that armor, hovering in the air around a new monster; the Blade Armor Ninja stood about six feet tall, dual wielding a pair of swords.

[spoiler=Blade Armor Ninja]
R****/WIND
Warrior / Effect
2 Level 4 Warrior-Type monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; if you do, this card can attack twice during this turn.
2200/1000[/spoiler]

“That thing is...” K had no more words to say.

“By using one of Blade Armor Ninja’s Overlay Units, I’m able to strike you not once, but twice. Go, Dual Razor Slash!”

With an attack so fast K couldn’t even see it, the Ninja struck twice, causing the duelist to fall to his knees.

[b]K’s Life Points[/b]: 0

---

[i]He won...without so much as losing a single Life Point.[/i] Hiyoru stepped outwards into the arena, walking down the stairs and towards his protégé. [i]Absolutely impressive, indeed. By playing it off as though he didn’t care at all, he managed to fool even me. There is nothing more Kiryu wants than to leave this island, and to allow myself to believe he’d risk that even a little, was rather silly.[/i]

Kiryu shook his head. “So maybe you’ll take that mask off now and show yourself?”

“I do not believe that will be necessary.” They were interrupted by a new voice, one not too deep, but noticeably sinister. From the outer shadows of the arena, the sections that were not lit, a man much taller than K himself made himself visible. Clad in a black suit, far from “cave” attire, he stood alongside the duelist Kiryu had just defeated. Something about his presence made Kiryu uncomfortable, but he didn’t say anything.

“Master, I have been defeated,” K said, his angered, confident tone no longer existent. The fear in his system was more than evident just by the way in which he spoke. “Please forgive me, my sincerest apologies. I played like a fool.”

“All is forgiven. Do not worry, for I still believe you are much better than he is. In fact I warned you before the duel began not to take him lightly. Perhaps you interpreted that differently than I intended, but to see you fall so carelessly into his trap means you need much more training.” He turned his attention to Kiryu and Hiyoru. “Now then, gentlemen, if you’ll excuse me, we must return for more training. This has been fun.”

“Hold on a second,” Kiryu interrupted. “Who the hell are you?”

[i]Wait a second! It is him, I knew it! I knew I sensed his presence earlier, but I assumed it might have just been the intensity of the moment.[/i] Hiyoru’s eyes widened and it wasn’t long before Kiryu took notice. [i]What could be going on here...?[/i]

As Kiryu looked back, the man and K were already gone. Vanished in less than a second.

---

Back at home, Kiryu was tossing and turning in bed. It was only the afternoon, but the duel had drained him and he was so tired, figured he’d try and take a nap. He found himself unable to do so, his mind racing with questions after the events that had occurred earlier. No sooner did they escape the Arena that Hiyoru disappeared without saying a word. [i]First that look in his eye, then his disappearance...I’m not connecting some dots here. [/i]

Much like Kiryu himself, Hiyoru always carried a calm, “cool” demeanor. He very rarely allowed his emotions to be seen, and when he did, it was never for more than a brief moment. In three years they had been training together, however, Kiryu had never once seen his mentor show the kind of fear and emotion he showed in that split second while they were in the Duel Arena.

While K’s presumed trainer had struck him as odd and somewhat distrustful, there was no sense of fear, at least not in Kiryu’s eyes. That was the part that didn’t make sense. If Kiryu was unaffected, what was it about the guy that made Hiyoru so alert and frightened?

The one thing that had weirded him out the most was hearing K’s mentor say that he warned the duelist prior to the duel about Kiryu’s style, and not to take him lightly. While Kiryu’s dueling prowess was far from unknown, he didn’t take it that way; it sounded as though this guy was targeting him specifically. There were so many more questions than there were answers, and that was a problem.

[i]Hiyoru...where the hell did you run off to?[/i]

---

“I cannot believe I lost to him. I feel so ashamed. He’s not even good, he just…he got lucky. In essence, I beat myself. How could he have the nerve to act like he was the better duelist?”

“Do not feel so hard on yourself. The fact of the matter is, he’s actually a brilliant duelist. Did you know that during his game with you, not once did he even look at the cards in his hand? He did not need to. I’m sure you were not aware of this, but his opening hand contained the tools to defeat you from the very first turn. While I’m aware he must have known this as well, I believe he was trying to draw out your very best, to truly prove himself. He is a strange character, but a determined one at that.”

“Before the game began, you told me that you had no doubt I would be able to defeat him. It is not possible that you could have been one-hundred percent sure of my victory if you know he is as good as you say he is.”

“You’re quite right. In fact, from the beginning of the duel, I was absolutely certain that you had no chance of victory. I too thought the duel would last longer than it did, but I digress. That is irrelevant now. The point of the duel was to allow for an introduction of sorts, you see. We are not finished with him, he is very much important to your success. Now that he knows of your existence, in conjunction with the brief events that occurred following the duel, I believe it is safe to say that right now, he is probably very confused, and I imagine that rather shortly he will come looking for us, or go looking [i]somewhere[/i] for answers. It is then that we will make our move.”

“Hayate-san, I am placing my full trust in you, I believe I am strong enough to do this, but are you sure it will work?” The young girl spoke, sounding somewhat uncertain.

“I promise you, I will not let you down,” Hayate responded. “You will reach heights you have never even dreamed of achieving.”

“Then let’s do this. I’m ready.”

“Good, good,” Hayate smiled, turning towards the wall. [i]You haven’t even begun to understand.[/i]

---

Hiyoru had heard the attacker long before the attacker had prepared his first strike. In the wooded part of the island, it was difficult to hear much at all, unless you were right in the center. In other words, the rest of the island would not hear the ruckus that was about to be caused just a couple of miles away from them.

By Hiyoru’s sensory calculations, the enemy was about thirty feet away, perched on a large branch extending from one of the smaller trees in the area. He did not appear to be armed with anything more than a Kunai; embarrassing, really. That said, it was not wise to underestimate him either, as Hiyoru was well aware.

He simply continued walking, knowing the attacker would strike shortly, thinking he had his prey trapped and helpless. “You planning on showing yourself any time soon?”

Stopping in his tracks, Hiyoru had already heard the buzzing of the wind from the thrown Kunai at least two seconds before it was even within his distance. He remained completely still, and just as it was about to strike his shoulder, he placed his index finger into the air, catching the weapon by the loop on the top, causing it to come to a complete halt.

“That’s...impossible...” The figure hiding behind the branch jumped down onto the woodland floor, his body shaking with disbelief. [i]He stopped it with a single finger. Such timing...how is something like that even possible?[/i]

“You’ve got a good throw. Much better than I expected.” Hiyoru turned to face his attacker, a somewhat average looking man, probably in his early twenties. His hair was long and gray, but not the shade of gray one would get from aging; rather a darkish color, as though it was done purposely this way.

“How did you...there’s no way someone could see that precisely...”

“Acting as though I wasn’t expecting to be targeted out here,” Hiyoru remarked, drawing a look of disdain from the enemy. “I assure you, I’m not nearly as naïve as I look. What I do find interesting however is that the looks of the people Hayate’s been recruiting lately just get more and more strange. Wonder where he finds you guys.”

The enemy scowled. “What’d you say?! How dare you insult Master Hayate or myself in such a manner? I am Tenshan, Houshou Island’s greatest assassin.”

“You’re a riot,” Hiyoru replied amidst a small fit of laughter. “Ah, if I had a nickel for the amount of times I’d heard that one. Your apparently loyalty to Hayate is almost saddening, as though you don’t realize you’re being used as a pawn.”

“A pawn?” Tenshan was less than pleased with the remark. “You know nothing about me, and you know nothing about Master Hayate, either. Don’t act as though you do, to disgrace his hard work with such words is a sheer act of disrespect!”

“Perhaps I didn’t explain it clear enough. I’ve got two options here. I can either let you run free with a significant amount of wounds to ensure that you won’t come back and try again, or I can kill you on the spot.” Tenshan’s eyes widened in fear; he could tell that Hiyoru’s words were anything but an exaggeration. Especially with how quickly and effortlessly he had managed to stop the attack. “Hayate knows of this; he’s well aware that you will face one of two outcomes. Sending someone like you into the battlefield with me, given all he knows about my own abilities, is nothing more than a distraction to allow him to bide his time for whatever it is he’s planning. Understand?”

“Don’t act as though you’re above me!” Tenshan screamed, as he took off running towards Hiyoru, attempting to retrieve the kunai. “You don’t know what I’m capable of!” Tenshan reached for the kunai, only to pull back, shifting almost instantly behind him. He raised his right leg, swinging wildly as he attempted to connect with a kick to the back of the skull, but Hiyoru was able to block it with nothing but the point of the kunai. Before Tenshan could react, Hiyoru turned around completely and hooked him right in the jaw with his left hand as the assassin was hurled backwards into a nearby tree.

“So, does it make sense to you then?” Hiyoru asked, brushing the fragments of dirt off the side of his jacket. “You’re going to have to do much better than that to defeat me. Now I’m going to tell you one more time. I’m going to begin to walk away. If you stand up and try to pursue me, I will kill you. I do not enjoy taking the life of another, but I have done it before, and if I must do it again, so be it. However I do pity you, and I’m willing to offer you the chance to scurry away with what little dignity you might have left.”

[i]My switch technique...how could he have seen around it? That’s the most powerful attack I have, and he dodged it without even looking. What he’s saying about Hayate, it can’t possibly be true. He saved me, didn’t he...[/i] Tenshan knew what he had to do. “I know Hayate’s orders were not to use this technique, but, I don’t think I have much of an option at this point. [i]{4[sup]th[/sup] Stage: Rezahitoame; Razor Shower}[/i]”

[b]To be continued...[/b][/spoiler]

Don't mean to post two Chapters at once, but I've had them finished for a few days and YCM's been down, so there's not much I can do at this point. Chapter 20 is almost done, too, but I didn't want to post all three at once because I figured I probably wouldn't get too many responses. Either way, looking forward to the feedback!

[spoiler=Chapter 20: The Assassin's Failure]

“I know Hayate’s orders were not to use this technique, but, I don’t think I have much of an option at this point. [i]{4[sup]th[/sup] Stage: Rezahitoame; Razor Shower}[/i]”

[i]What the hell is this?[/i] Hiyoru’s senses began to react like crazy, as the amount of pressure in the area duplicated tenfold. There was an immense amount of energy being released into the surrounding areas, and by his best estimations, it was all being moved upwards, seemingly surrounding the small area in between the trees where they stood.

Without looking, he tried to get a trace on the energy, and as he suspected, it directed back to Tenshan, who was still seated against the tree. For a moment, he had considered it possible that Hayate had arrived to do battle himself, but that was far too honorable. There was no way Tenshan could have that much energy; it was surreal, the strength he was emitting was unlike anything Hiyoru had felt in some time.

It didn’t take him long at all to realize it was a Stage Technique, but which one it was, he couldn’t be sure. Definitely higher than two, especially because he had to amplify his own ability to be able to continuously read and keep up with the massive amounts of pressure as they moved throughout the area.

“So you decided you weren’t going to stay down and quit, did you?” Hiyoru stood still, trying to get a reading on what direction the energy was moving in next, without letting on to what he was planning. “It was a foolish decision, but I’m sure you’re aware of that.”

“Even if what you’re saying about Master Hayate is true, and he truly does intend to use me as nothing more than a pawn, I have sworn allegiance to him and I cannot break that, no matter what.” As Tenshan spoke, the energy he was releasing became more and more powerful, until it gradually began to decline.

[i]This is weird; his energy doesn’t appear to continue increasing. It’s as though he has a limit of some kind. For a 4[sup]th[/sup] Stage technique, there should be significantly more energy than I’m sensing right now.[/i] On each side of him, there were about five trees, give or take a few. The forest area was lined with plants and shrubs, basic things you’d find all over the island. What made this area of the forest unique was that were it enclosed, it would be very similar to a dome shape, meaning that if Tenshan’s plan was to make an encasement of energy, there would be nowhere to run once the attack was unleashed. However, there was only a very small space in which he could be closed entirely. The pressure Tenshan was releasing was far too scattered to cover that area entirely. Someone skilled with such a technique could kill an enemy with ease; with no idea how to use it, Tenshan stood no chance of actually trapping him. It was physically impossible. Still, with such powerful energy swirling around them, if he was hit by it, there would be some repercussions. He had to be careful.

“You’ve sworn allegiance to him?” Hiyoru asked. “Normally I’d ignore such personal matters, but if I must ask, why would you do such a thing? To give your entire life to one person, there must have been something worthwhile on your end.”

“I don’t think you’d understand, but since neither of us will be here much longer once my attack has completed, I’ll explain. I’d always been the weakest of the group, never able to really stand up for myself or defend myself; I spent so much time being pushed around and hurt, and I could never do anything about it. One day, when I was threatened by a group of Rogue Duelists on the island...they threatened to kill me unless I handed over all of my cards, but I don’t duel, see. When I told them this, they didn’t believe me, and were prepared to take my life over such a small issue.” Tenshan stopped for a moment, forcing himself to stand. No more would he look weak in front of the enemy. “It was then that Master Hayate stepped in and saved my life; he killed all of them with a single blow, and told me that I was too strong and too good a person to be treated in such a way. He promised to give me the strength necessary to defend myself and become a better person if I would in turn promise my services to him. I don’t quite remember how, but shortly after that I was infused with these powers. I’ve never really been able to use them quite well, but the one thing Hayate told me over and over again was never to go beyond the 3[sup]rd[/sup] Stage. He said doing so would result in the release of energy that I couldn’t control. But now, I have no choice. And I know I have the strength to control it!”

[i]I can feel the energy growing less and less focused the more he releases it. He’s losing his control over it completely; for Hayate to infuse anyone with this kind of technique...such a thing is inexcusable. [/i]“I’m afraid you won’t be able to,” Hiyoru replied, leaping into the air.

“You won’t get away from me, I’ve already trapped you!” Tenshan screeched with twisted laughter as he prepared to force the energy downwards.

“There is a reason you can’t hope to defeat me.” Hiyoru perched himself on a nearby branch, just outside the range of the attack. That part had been easy. What would pose an issue was avoiding the aftermath of the attack. “It has nothing to do with your own inabilities, either.”

“Huh?” Tenshan asked, looking around. “Where the hell did you disappear to?"

Hiyoru sighed. [i]This is always my least favorite part of the fight.[/i] "You're less than a minute away from striking with your ultimate attack, but unfortunately, you cannot control it. Haven't you been able to sense that weird transmission of energy? When you began the process, you were releasing a very consistent and powerful amount, so much so that it actually had me in fear that I might need to take action. However, as your energy began to scatter, I sensed it growing weaker by the millisecond."

"Shut up!" Hiyoru could feel the pressure increasing as Tenshan cried out in frustration. "I don't need to hear your attempts at saving yourself! You will fall! Now, release!" He swung his arms down in a vicious fashion, as the energy plummeted down towards the ground, crushing branches and even some trees as it did so. With the charge still full, he held his arms out to the side, as the energy began to expand sideways as well. "I knew you would escape the center, which is why I saved this part of the technique for second! Not only can I pressurize an entire area, I can expand my reach outwards to the side, as well! You can't save yourself!"

Hundreds of trees in the area were torn to shreds, until nothing but piles of torn tree fragments, dirt, and rocks remained of the once heavily populated one mile radius. "It looks like I got you, didn't I?" Tenshan dropped to one knee, breathing heavily. [i]I've done it, Master Hayate. He's been beaten; I told you I could handle such a weak opponent. All of his words, I can't believe he even had me doubting you for a second. Just a mere weakling looking for any way to survive a fight against an enemy he stood no chance against.[/i]

"A charge of energy, comprised from every single point in the user's body, concentrated to a central point; the left and right arms, divided in an even amount. From there, all the gathered energy is released upwards into the sky, where it needs anywhere from five to seven minutes to charge and develop, leaving the user in a state of vulnerability due to the fact that all of their energy is temporarily removed from the body. Once the attack is ready to be released, the user can control the direction and timing depending on the force behind their arm movements, in order to trap an enemy at will. The energy is released in a pressurized beam, if you will, straight down, because of the gravity in the area. Once it strikes the ground, it still has over half power, which can then be extended outwards in any direction, again dependent on the user's preference. When all directions have been decided and made, one ultimate attack is released, wiping out everything within the distance of one mile. This, is the full capability of the Rezahitoame."

"No, it can't be!" That voice was unmistakable; Hiyoru was still alive. "That attack should have killed you!"

Hiyoru laughed, appearing in front of Tenshan. "Logically, do you think it's possible for you to kill me with an attack that I've dealt with more than once before?"

"Wha--what do you mean?"

"The same technique you used against me is one that Hayate himself has nearly perfected," Hiyoru explained, not making direct eye contact with his opponent. "You see, whereas the Rezahitoame is a 4th Stage technique for you, and the highest one you're able to perform, for Hayate, it is not even one of the stages. He has learned to perform the move at will, without tapping into the 1st Stage at all."

"Ma--Master Hayate can use such a technique?" Tenshan seemed somewhat surprised. "I mean, of course he can...he is the strongest being on this island."

"This island?" Hiyoru rolled his eyes. "You're limiting yourself to a pretty small comparison there. As much as I dislike the guy, Hayate outclasses more than just the island's population. That being said, I'd like to think of myself as being on a similar level. And since it's become clear to me that the only way this fight will end is if one of us is killed, as unfortunate as I find it, you've left me no choice but to finish you off. I was hoping to avoid taking such measures."

"I don't get it," Tenshan began to speak, "How did you-"

[i]"{1st Stage: Shainingu-kiritateru; Shining Slash}[/i]" Hiyoru's words interrupted Tenshan's attempts to understand, as a small, visible beam of light appeared, hovering in front of Hiyoru's right arm. As Hiyoru reached out to grab it, the bottom half materalized into a holster, conforming to the size of his hand. "What you see here is my 1st Stage Technique, Shainingu-kiritateru. I was hoping to avoid taking such measures, but since I'm not familiar with the process of infusing others with such energy, I'm not sure what else you're capable of. The sword only has one strike, but all I have to do is make contact with a vital section of the body and this battle is as good as over."

"Heh, good thing you won't get close enough to hit me!"

"That's what you think!" As he leapt into the air, Hiyoru raised the sword over his head, swinging straight for the chest. Tenshan jolted to the side as the last second, placing his right arm out and allowing it to take the full force of the attack. He screeched at the pain, but half-smiled at the same time, knowing Hiyoru had missed his one and only shot.

"It appears I was right," Tenshan said as he burst into laughter. "All that talk and you missed, it was effortless to block your attack even after all of the energy I...what's this...my body...why am I..."

"Who said I missed?" Hiyoru asked. "My perception ability far exceeds that of your own or anyone else, even Hayate's. I know exactly what points are necessary to strike to do proper damage. By leaping in such a careless way, I led you to believe I was attacking recklessly. I knew what point I was aiming for the entire time. You just made it easier by turning right into it."

The sword, which had been stuck through Tenshan's body, began to glow, and cracks formed along the sides. "What is it doing now?!"

"Once my sword strikes a vital point, it simply discharges back into energy, which then explodes throughout the body until it wipes you out entirely, killing you from the inside." Hiyoru took his hand off the holster. "Now then, release."

"Ahh!! Damn you!" Tenshan cried out in frustration as the sword took effect, killing him almost instantly. He dropped to the ground, and Hayate took a step back.

---

[i]I always regret having to take that kind of action against an innocent person. To see Hayate is still here on the island throws a wrench into things. In a sense, it makes the need to get Kiryu as far away from here as possible even more important. There is no need to involve him in this battle and I will protect him from such things even if it costs me my life.[/i]

[i]I remember Hayate used to talk about the potential of infusing an individual with the powers of another, but I never believed he'd actually use human subjects to test the theory. For anyone to use a 4[sup]th[/sup] Stage Technique takes nearly all of that person’s energy. If I were to use mine, it would be days before I got my full power back. But why give such a low ranked move? Something just doesn’t make sense here and I’m not sure what it is.[/i]

[i]Either way, I assume it’s not long before Hayate finds out that this battle took place and ended as it did. I don’t believe he expected the use of that technique; perhaps he believed I’d kill him before he even had the chance to use it.[/i]

[i]There’s one missing piece here...and that’s the girl. What part does she play in all of this? Is she another one of his test subjects? Even in the duel against Kiryu, she didn’t demonstrate any abilities that were beyond that of the average duelist. Kiryu wiped the floor with her without having to try. So why did he disguise her as a man? What was the purpose of the mask?[/i]

[i]I have to figure this out.[/i]

[i]Before it’s too late.[/i]

Wow, I'm gone a day and I have 3 chapters to do? I will only do 2 of them now, becuase I'm feeling slightly to crappy to do anymore. And I feel that if i did, I might end up reviewing it harsher than it actually is. Which I don't want to do to you man.

The duel was terrible in my view. I know Kiryu was always going to win, but... Its like watching a guy who only has 60 vannilas in there deck playing Inzectors. Its just frankly embarasing. K had this build up of being quite cool, but... urgh for some reason I just hate Kiryu now becuase it was just to much of a walk over. I understand when the weak character who is portrayed as weak suffers a loss like that, but if this guy is meant to be a test, he should be challanging or else why should he bother with his job...

So aside from my thoughts over the duel it was otherwise good. Thought personally bunching the whole duel into one chapter would have been a better plan, since there were no major events in it in the next chapter.

[quote name='HiveNet' timestamp='1345837124' post='6012130']
Wow, I'm gone a day and I have 3 chapters to do? I will only do 2 of them now, becuase I'm feeling slightly to crappy to do anymore. And I feel that if i did, I might end up reviewing it harsher than it actually is. Which I don't want to do to you man.

The duel was terrible in my view. I know Kiryu was always going to win, but... Its like watching a guy who only has 60 vannilas in there deck playing Inzectors. Its just frankly embarasing. K had this build up of being quite cool, but... urgh for some reason I just hate Kiryu now becuase it was just to much of a walk over. I understand when the weak character who is portrayed as weak suffers a loss like that, but if this guy is meant to be a test, he should be challanging or else why should he bother with his job...

So aside from my thoughts over the duel it was otherwise good. Thought personally bunching the whole duel into one chapter would have been a better plan, since there were no major events in it in the next chapter.
[/quote]

I wasn't intending to post all the Chapters like that, but the site was down for a few days, and I kept writing, so I didn't want to wait to post the rest of them.

The Duel itself plays into the story more than anything. As we near the end of the Season, K and Kiryu will duel again, and it will be a full length duel. Of course, we had to actually get there first.

I'm trying to pace out the Chapters and keep them all around 2,000 words; which is why I ended it like that.

I read the three chapters, but I'm saying that the duel was too long. A few simple plays over the course of three episodes... yeah. Too long.

Apparantly, the character in ch. 20 is similar to Sora and Kenji. He has a lot of power, and these guys are being idiots to try to attack him. So... is 1st Stage better than 2nd, or vice versa? That whole concept is a bit confusing.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1345867106' post='6012441']
I read the three chapters, but I'm saying that the duel was too long. A few simple plays over the course of three episodes... yeah. Too long.
Apparantly, the character in ch. 20 is similar to Sora and Kenji. He has a lot of power, and these guys are being idiots to try to attack him. So... is 1st Stage better than 2nd, or vice versa? That whole concept is a bit confusing.
[/quote]

The duel was too long? ._.;

Eh, alright. I guess I'll make the duels shorter then.

I'd like to think that the whole story arc with the Stages will make more sense soon; with the Second Season resolving soon. I'll try my best to go into more detail with it.

I don't think the content of the duel was to long, it was just way to spread in this one. Duels where both sides make great plays, and amazing counters are fine being spread out becuase they are more enjoyable to read. This one was slightly to simple...

As for the chapter. It was good. the action was nice, and the explinations weren't to draw out. That and I do like the whole bleach esche thing you have going, becuase it does make it awesome. So yeah, next one tonight I'm guessing?

The duel wasn't long itself, it was just spread between three episodes. Not enough happened to drag it out. The duel might be relevent, but it could have comfortably fit into a single chapter, maybe two, because of the way part 1 ended, building up to the duel and only having a couple of plays, but dragging it into part 3 was unnecessary.

[quote name='Barthandelus Alpha' timestamp='1345922306' post='6012735']
I don't think the content of the duel was to long, it was just way to spread in this one. Duels where both sides make great plays, and amazing counters are fine being spread out becuase they are more enjoyable to read. This one was slightly to simple...

As for the chapter. It was good. the action was nice, and the explinations weren't to draw out. That and I do like the whole bleach esche thing you have going, becuase it does make it awesome. So yeah, next one tonight I'm guessing?
[/quote]

More than likely, yeah. It's already half-way done.

[quote name='Barthandelus Alpha' timestamp='1345922306' post='6012735']

[/quote]

More than likely, yeah. It's already half-way done.

[spoiler=Episode 21: The Power of Illusion]

What was this strange feeling? As he stood in the center of the forest above the now lifeless body, Hiyoru felt a weird tingling come over him. Not a painful one – there was no physical pain that he could feel – but it was as if something inside of him had been affected. During the battle with Tenshan, he hadn’t taken a single blow. There was no reason for his body to be acting up at all.

Just barely, he heard a rustling in the distance. It had to be a good half mile away, perhaps even farther. He shot around to look, but there was no one in sight. It could have been a wild animal or something, but with the way his body was acting he couldn’t take chances like that. I should probably get back to the village before this gets any worse. I’m assuming he’s as good as dead.

“I’d be careful how much you move around, Hiyoru,” he heard the voice and recognized it instantly. “After all, the faster you move, the quicker the poison will spread throughout your body.”

[i]What did he say?! [/i]Hiyoru felt a sudden fear come over him as he locked eyes with Hayate Ishira himself. A young girl, presumably the duelist from earlier, with luscious blue hair, stood alongside him. There was a sudden jolt of pain in his chest and he dropped to one knee. “I should have known you’d come. I could tell from the moment I locked eyes with you back in the Underground Arena that we had a showdown to prepare for.”

“Don’t be so rash, Hiyoru,” Hayate chuckled. “You always were the type to just rush into things so carelessly. Even with your incredible abilities of perception, you never take the time to assess the situation on a much grander scale.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Hayate asked, grasping his chest as he felt the pain begin to take effect. “I just defeat another one of your so-called ‘most skilled assassins’. And I did it without breaking a sweat. It’s been years since we’ve last faced off, but I presume killing you shouldn’t be nearly as much of an issue now as it would have been back then.”

“Under normal circumstances, you might stand quite a chance.” Hayate began to walk towards him, with the girl following suite. “However, in your condition, you wouldn’t last five minutes in a fight with me. Besides, a fight between two warriors of our level of power would surely draw attention, and that is not what I need right now. I pose a question to you, Hiyoru; were you not able to sense my presence the entire time?”

[i]What?![/i] If what Hayate was saying was true, and he’d watched the entire fight from such a close distance, Hiyoru should have been able to pick up on his senses from the get-go. He had no idea there was anyone else around; how was Hayate able to hide his presence? And more importantly, the girl’s as well?

“I’ll take your lack of words as a suitable answer, old friend.” A cool breeze blew across Hiyoru’s face as he struggled to maintain a position that would allow him to defend himself if necessary. Whatever Hayate had done to him was spreading quickly. “I can tell by the look on your face that you don’t understand a bit of what’s going on, so allow me to fill you in, provided you can stay alive long enough to hear me out. Though I had instructed Tenshan to avoid using his 4th Stage Technique, I had known all along that he would eventually disobey those orders to fulfill his increasing desire to prove himself as useful to me. I had given such orders to prevent the careless loss of the life of one of my dearest soldiers, but such is the case, I suppose. Because I was aware that he might do such a thing, when I infused him with my powers, I thought it well to add a little...something extra.”

“Something extra?” Hiyoru scowled, grabbing his chest tight. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“It’s a poison, of sorts. Being that he was infused with my powers, Tenshan was unaffected by it, but for you, the opposite couldn’t be more true. As opposed to being a virus-type poison, this one affects the energy stream directly, meaning the same source from which you get your power is the source that spreads the poison throughout your body. When you used your 1st Stage, creating a weapon comprised entirely of your inner energy, and pierced through Tenshan’s body, the poison was given a direct path to you. By killing him the way you did, you actually made my job much easier, because now all I have to do is wait for you to die.”

“You bastard...”[i] Such a complex technique. I was right in believing that he used Tenshan solely as a pawn. He didn’t care about the fight because he knew that in the end I would have to kill him, and in doing so, I would allow that poison a direct entrance into my body.[/i] “So tell me then, what is the purpose of all of this? Why have you decided to return here?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” Hayate said, letting a sinister laugh as he did so. “It all has to do with your little apprentice, your prized duelist. You see, this lovely young lady is known as Kimora. She is...a very interesting individual, blessed with powers beyond even my wildest imagination. In fact, it’s fair to speculate that someday, she might even surpass me in terms of what she is capable of.” The girl showed no reaction at all to anything Hayate was saying; just a blank stare into the distance. “In order for her to realize such potential, however, she must be pushed to the very limits.”

“And that’s where Kiryu comes in...”

“Precisely,” Hayate asked. “Your student has the most impressive dueling skills I’ve ever seen. The way he is able to portray his emotions to his opponent in such a convincing manner is truly remarkable. Kimora allowed herself to be blinded by rage and that is what led to her defeat, but I assure you, it won’t happen again, isn’t that right, Kimora?”

“Yes Master,” she said. “Of course not.”

“I must say though, it’s a shame you won’t be alive long enough to watch the rematch between these two play out. I’m betting it’ll be quite the interesting duel.”

[i]I have to do something...anything to catch him off guard. If he’s targeting Kiryu then I assume I’m the last thing in his path. I’m not going to die due to some silly poison. [/i]“I...” Hiyoru’s words were cut off as the pain surged through his chest.

Hayate was filled with laughter, all smiles. “It appears the poison is taking effect much more quickly than I anticipated. What a joy this should be to see play out.”

“[i]{Hayai-Genkaku; Rapid Illusion}[/i]”

“What’s this?” Hayate looked around, flustered, as tens of dozens of copies of Hiyoru began appearing in the open area, each of them looking identical to the original. “You still have energy left? Ah well, for such a weak move, there’s no need to worry. I’m a bit embarrassed by the fact that you believe a non-Stage Technique could have even the slightest effect on me.”

“Master, hold on a moment, he-”

“Silence, Kimora!” Hayate interrupted his subordinate’s words as he released his hand to fire a shot of energy at one of the copies, causing it to dissipate. “Just watch as I demonstrate my powers!”

“Perhaps you should pay better attention!” The still-wounded Hiyoru called out as Hayate turned around to find himself on the receiving end of what would be a painful blow. Hiyoru struck him right in the chest, followed by a kick to the face. Kimora quickly moved out of the way as Hayate took the full force of the attack. “For someone commenting on perception, I find it surprised the girl was able to see my movements, but you were completely unable.”

“What? How could you still have the strength to move so freely?” Hayate leapt backwards, barely dodging the second strike. “The poison should have already shut down nearly seventy-five percent of your body, making it impossible for you to so much as breathe properly, never mind move at such high speeds.”

“Wondering if now is the best time for you to analyze the situation, or if you should be more focused on defending yourself!” In a flash, Hiyoru shifted behind the plan’s mastermind. Once more, Hayate was able to dodge, but significantly less quickly this time around.

[i]I don’t understand, not only is he still able to move at such high speeds, but his speed is actually increasing with each attack! How in the hell is something like this possible?[/i] It didn’t take a fool to tell that the poison had begun to take effect at first, but the sudden change in Hiyoru’s demeanor led Hayate to question just how much of an effect it truly had. [i]For him to be able to perform at such a high rate...I can’t keep up with his speeds, not without releasing a significant amount of energy. The risks are far from worth the rewards here. Damnit![/i]

“I guess you’ve decided to ignore my own advice,” Hiyoru’s words sounded closer than before; Hayate looked upwards, and Hiyoru met him with a kick to the jaw, knocking out a few teeth and sending him crashing into a giant, unforgiving boulder. He couldn’t move.

“Master Hayate!” Kimora rushed to her master’s side as blood began to trickle down the side of his face.

"I guess I really kicked your ass on that one too." Hiyoru took a few steps back to ensure himself a safe enough distance as he waited for his enemy to respond. "Tell me, Hayate; when are you going to actually try and fight back?"

Hayate managed to look up, putting a strain on his body while doing so. "You'd like that, wouldn't you? You and I both know what a fight between the two of us would cause, and unfortunately, I am not in a position to allow such a thing to happen."

"So in other words, you're still the same coward you've always been."

The tension between the two was more than evident, but still both of them kept their cool. Kimora found this somewhat perplexing. "You can insult me all you like, but you're not going to draw me into battle. I'm much smarter than that. Just as you've been holding back, I must do the same."

Hiyoru grinned. "Oh, so that's it?"

"What do you mean?" A grounded Hayate scowled.

"I simply made a mistake by assuming that the reason you weren't fighting back is because you're too frightened of facing someone with power equal to your own," Hiyoru sighed. He walked forward a few steps, as Hayate remained in place, the girl standing to his side as she was unsure how to respond and was simply awaiting a command. "However, it the only thing stopping you from fighting is the fact that I'm holding back, I'll be more than happy to change that for you."

"Master Hayate, should we..." Kimora hesitated, but decided to continue. "Maybe it's best if we retreat before things become more drastic." The girl was worried for their own safety. She had never seen someone handle Hayate so easily, especially with that poison in effect at the same time.

"Such a thing should not be necessary, Kimora." Hayate stood, facing his opponent, who disappeared before his very eyes. "He should..."

"Should what?" Behind him, again? There was no way! Hiyoru's movements were far beyond anything Hayate could recall. "{1st Stage: Shainingu-kiritateru; Shining Slash}"

[i]s***, no! Not that! How could he have thrown me off so quickly, fast enough to pull off his 1st Stage?![/i]

"There's something I should tell you, Hayate," Hiyoru said, driving the point of his sword into Hayate's back, right above the ribs. "I never stopped training. While I put my focus towards training new prospects in dueling, I always made sure to leave some time to keep my skills intact. Why do you think I've chosen to stay here all this time?"

Kimora, in a near state of shock after watching the sword go straight through her Master's body, so that it was sticking out the other end in such a quick motion, tried to react, but couldn't get herself to move.

[i]I’ve been hit...there’s no way...[/i] The poison that was injected into Hiyoru’s body should have killed him by this point, yet his skills had done nothing but improve since the fight had begun. There was the potential that his body was immune to its effects, but that wouldn’t have made any sense, as he was clearly hurt at the beginning of the fight. So what was it? “You...damn you...how did you survive the poison?!”

“Survive?” Hiyoru laughed. “It’s unnecessary to survive something that never actually hit you, isn’t it?”

[i]It never hit him?![/i] Kimora’s eyes widened.

“Were you so caught up in the fact that you had this won, that you didn’t pay attention to what happened when I used my Hayai-Genkaku? Using the technique out loud was nothing more than a ploy, for I had already used it upon your arrival. I’d like to believe the girl figured it out much sooner; she tried to warn you, but your arrogance blinded you from the truth. My technique allows me to create an illusion by manipulating the space around me; you should be quite familiar with such a move.” Hiyoru took his hand off the holster. “The entire conversation you had upon your arrival was not with me, but with an illusion. While it’s true that the poison did affect me, I was able to use Shainingu-kiritateru on the same point of my shoulder where it entered, simply by piercing myself.”

“So your stabbed yourself to remove the poison?” Hayate asked. “Are you crazy? Such a move could have killed you!”

“I’m well aware. It was either that or let the poison shut me down completely, and doing that would have killed me much sooner. Releasing Shainingu on myself forced the poison from my body, and it used so much energy in doing so that there was not enough left to have a significant physical effect on me. That is why I had to bide my time before I could use the move again. But now that I’ve been able to recover, I can finish this fight. So, Hayate Ishira; prepare to fall.”

Hiyoru stepped away from the enemy. “Release.”

[quote name='Barthandelus Alpha' timestamp='1345994829' post='6013251']
Yep, lots of mind games, violence, and out smarting your opponents.

So, K is going to have a rematch? Thats good. So long as its better than the last one. But then, it would be hard to get worse.

Another excellent chapter, you do have a way of making these moments hugely enjoyable.

Next one tomorrow is it?
[/quote]

Possibly tonight, actually, depends on when I finish it.

Also, just to clarify, for those who haven't figured it out, the girl is the same girl that Sora and Kenji faced at the end of Season 1, only ten years in the past, before she was a member of the CLEAR Organization. Just thought I'd "Clear" that up.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1345995569' post='6013255']

Also, just to clarify, for those who haven't figured it out, the girl is the same girl that Sora and Kenji faced at the end of Season 1, only ten years in the past, before she was a member of the CLEAR Organization. Just thought I'd "Clear" that up.
[/quote]

-classic punchline drum- I didn't realize. thank you for informing me.

New Chapter should be posted tomorrow! We're nearing the end of Season 2, and from hereon out I'll be doing a lot less filler, which is cool. This filler arc was actually necessary in order to make sense of the current story so I'm hoping to be able to avoid having to do that in the future.

Archived