You Shall Pay for Your Vices

The concept is that these cards give a useful effect, but in return punish you for the rest of the duel. This is represented by the keyword (Vice), which doesn't fit with Yu-Gi-Oh!, but it is the only way to represent the effect without a whole lot of text, and so that their Field Spell Card can actually make sense with its effect. A Vice is applied during your turn immediately after the effect of the card who activated its effect successfully activates and resolves its effect or effect condition, and carries on throughout the entire duel. This is not treated as a card effect, but a rule. Nothing can negate a Vice except for Sins Cleansing.

Some of these cards are bound to be overpowered, but I need suggestions on how to balance them while still making sense for their Vices.
[spoiler="Vice Cards"]
Vice Bat
Earth/Fiend/4/1500/1800
When this card is Summoned, draw 1 card. (Vice): Your Hand Size Limit is 4 cards.

Vice Rat
Earth/Fiend/4/1500/1600
When this card is destroyed, Special Summon 1 "Vice" monster from your Deck. (Vice): You can only Special Summon monster(s) once per turn.

Vice Worm
Fire/Fiend/3/900/1000
When this card is Summoned, destroy 1 card on the field. (Vice): During the start of each of your Main Phases, you must banish the bottom card of your Graveyard face-down. If you cannot, banish the top card of your deck instead.

Vice Sprocket
Earth/Fiend/2/700/200
During either player's turn, you may discard this card from your hand to increase the ATK of 1 monster on the field by 900. (Vice): You cannot change your monster's battle positions.

Vice Knight
Fire/Fiend/4/2000/0
Once per turn, this card can attack an additional time during that turn's Battle Phase. (Vice): You may only attack up to two times per turn.

Vice Mage
Earth/Fiend/4/1600/1400
Once while this card is face-up on the field, you may return any number of cards from your hand to the Deck and draw the same number of cards. This card then gains ATK equal to the number of cards drawn x200. (Vice): You cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck.

Vice Captain
Fire/Fiend/6/2500/1600
You may Special Summon this card by destroying 2 monsters you control. Once per turn, you may add 1 “Vice” card from your Deck to your hand. (Vice): You cannot activate cards during the turn they are added to your hand other than being drawn.

Vice Rage
Earth/Fiend/6/2400/2000
This card can be Normal Summoned without Tribute. (Vice): You can only control up to 4 Monsters and up to 4 Spell or Trap Cards.

Vice Wyrm
Fire/Fiend/4/1000/2600
Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed, you may have choose for it not to be. (Vice): Your cards do not inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points during their turn.

Vice Inferno
Fire/Fiend/7/2500/2000
You can Normal Summon this card by Tributing 1 monster on each player's side of the field. When this card is Summoned, select 1 monster on the field and change its battle position, then inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to half that monster's ATK. (Vice): During each of your Standby Phases, decrease your Life Points by 1000.

Vice Lich
Earth/Fiend/4/1600/1200
Once while this card is face-up on the field, you may Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend-Type monster from your Graveyard. (Vice): Each time 1 or more of your cards would be sent to the Graveyard, flip a coin. If tails, those cards are banished instead.

Vice Ray
Fire/Fiend/5/2000/2000
Once per turn, you must destroy 1 face-down card on the field if able. (Vice): You must reveal all of your Set cards.

Vice Rex
Earth/Fiend/4/1800/1800
This card inflicts piercing damage. Once while this card is face-up on the field, it can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. (Vice): You cannot attack directly with monsters the turn they are Summoned.

Vice Spore
Fire/Fiend/1/100/0
You can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. (Vice): You cannot Special Summon Level 3 or lower monsters.

Sins Cleansing
Normal Spell Card
Pay 1000 Life Points. You no longer must observe any of your own Vices.

Cards of Vice
Normal Spell Card
Reveal 1 “Vice” monster in your hand. Draw 2 cards. (Vice): You can only activate 1 Spell Card per turn.

Vice Chains
Normal Spell Card
Banish 1 face-up card on the field face-down. (Vice): You cannot Set monsters.

Vice Ritual
Normal Spell Card
Tribute 1 monster. Special Summon up to 2 “Vice” monsters of different names from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard whose combined Levels are less than or equal to 12. (Vice) : All Battle Damage inflicted to your opponent is halved.

Hand Vice
Continuous Spell Card
During each of your Draw Phases, draw 2 cards instead of 1. While this card is face-up on the field, you cannot add cards to your hand outside of your Draw Phase, and must play with your hand revealed.

Vice Prison / Vice Hell
Field Spell Card
All “Vice” monsters gain 100 ATK and DEF for each Vice you are observing. While this card remains face-up on the field, both players must observe either's Vices.

Vice Dungeon
Normal Trap Card
Return 2 face-up cards on the field to the Deck. (Vice): During the start of each of your Draw Phases, flip a coin. If tails, do not draw a card.

Vice Grasp
Continuous Trap Card
Neither player can declare an attack with a monster with an ATK lower than the monster with the highest ATK on the field. Destroy this card during your second End Phase after its activation.

Vice Bolt
Counter Trap Card
Negate the activation of a Spell or Trap Card and destroy it. (Vice): You can only activate 1 Trap Card each turn.[/spoiler]
[spoiler="NEW"]
Vice Gill
Fire/Fiend/4/1500/1200
Once while this card is face-up on the field, when a card would be removed from the field (either by battle or card effect), you may choose for it not to be. (Vice): You cannot activate the effects of more than 1 card of the same name each turn.

Vice Quill
Earth/Fiend/3/1700/800
When this card is Normal Summoned, your opponent must send 1 card from their hand to the Graveyard. (Vice): You cannot have more cards in your hand than is allowed by your Hand Size Limit. (If a card would be added to your hand to make it over your Hand Size Limit, it is placed in the Graveyard instead.)

Vice Spark
Fire/Fiend/2/1200/0
When this card is removed from the field, add 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your Graveyard to your hand other than "Vice Spark". (Vice): If you activate a card effect from your hand or Graveyard, you cannot activate another card effect from your hand or Graveyard until the End Phase of your opponent's next turn.

Vice Ripple
Earth/Fiend/1/200/500
You can banish this card in your Graveyard to change the battle position of all monsters on the field. (Vice): If you activate a card with a cost, you cannot activate the effects of other cards with a cost until your opponent's next End Phase.

Vice Squire
Fire/Fiend/4/1900/1500
When a monster with 1900 ATK or more is summoned on your opponent's side of the field, destroy this card and that monster. (Vice): You cannot activate the effects of cards that destroy cards more than once per turn.

Vice Devi
Fire/Fiend/3/1000/0
When this card is Normal Summoned, return all other face-up monsters to the owner's hand. (Vice): You cannot Special Summon monsters from your hand.

Rusted Vice
Quick-Play Spell Card
Destroy 1 face-up monster on the field and increase the ATK of 1 monster on the field by the monster's Level or Rank x100. You cannot conduct your next Battle Phase.
[/spoiler]

Interesting concept. Not going to review all the cards because I'm in a rush, but these deserve a comment.

On the issue of these new 'Vice' rulings; what's wrong with the effect 'For the rest of the duel; X'? Because it's negated by Skill Drain and stuff? Well, you could make these a nw subtype like Union or Gemini I guess. Think there must be a way of doing it or at least on sentence on the card. Anyway, a selection of cards to review:

Think Vice Hell makes the game very slow and lockdowned, probably overly so. I can't decide whether that's a good or a bad thing, being not a competitive player. I imagine having to remember so many vices you are serving would become a pain.

Bat I'm fine with, just think its level and stats should be weaker for a +1.

I don't really understand how Knight's effect would work as it's worded as a continuous effect, should be declared to activate it and the vice.

Rage is pretty cool as you wouldn't want to overextend anyway, and multiples of it don't stack! Awesome! (Come to think of it, playing multiples of any of the same vices don't really jeopardise you).

Cards of Vice for a +1 seems really balanced actually. So does the Solemn Vice (not quite so much, but maybe just enough).

Anyway an interesting concept, just needs a few tweaks but nice.

I had actually had all of their effects written as "For the remainder of the duel, XXX". However, when it came to the effect of Vice Hell, which was actually going to be Vice Mage's effect originally, there was no way to actually say what it needed to say without making it a specific mechanic. I suppose I could say "Both players must observe all rule changes". Would add a whole lot of text to the cards, though, and end up pointless since it means the same thing in the end.

I like this. Can multiples of the same Vice stack?

I imagine that, if I ran this Deck, it would be heavy on the Spells and low-Level beatsticks and light on Traps unless you used Vice Bat.

Vice Rat and Vice Mage are decent in power but painful to use. You probably won't need to swarm if you can use Vice Prison to lock down your opponent's Extra Deck.

Vice Inferno has way too high of a drawback to be worth using.

Vice Lich is good on its own and does wonders with Vice Prison.

Vice Rage is neat since multiple copies don't cause additional harm.

Hand Vice and Vice Chains are extremely powerful. You lose out on the ability to conceal information, but you won't need it. I wouldn't bother with Cards of Vice since it would generally be self-defeating without a pile of Traps.

Captain would create some issues if you use Upstart Goblin, since your opponent can't verify which card you drew.

Vice Grasp is kind of weak.

Each of the same Vice does not stack. I considered it, but then realized that certain cards would make it impossible to be run and played at 3, or even at 2, whilst others that completely restricted an action wouldn't cause trouble at all when stacked, thus making some cards obviously MUCH better than others.

I could really narrow down the number of Vices in the Archetype, but I wanted to put all of my ideas out in the open and see what people thought. The goal in the end is to have a Vice monster for every "Type" (though all Vice monsters are Fiend).

Vice Rat and Vice Mage - That's exactly the point of them. They're one of the better examples of the point of Vices, where you sacrifice a lot for a good effect, though in the case of Mage I wasn't sure of what to do with it. It was originally going to have Hell Prison's effect, but I decided that having it as a monster would leave it too vulnerable, and gave it a utility effect instead. Then, because its effect had to do with the Deck, I decided that it should restrict you from using -other- decks. IE, the Extra Deck.

Vice Inferno - I was trying to figure out a way to make this card work. I wanted it to deal burn damage to fit with its name, but the main ability was supposed to be tributing the opponent's monster, but how do you Normal Summon by activating an effect? If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them.

Vice Rage is neat since multiple copies don't cause additional harm.

Hand Vice and Vice Chains - Hand Vice also prevents you from using even more draw cards, so you can't use it in a draw spam deck, and since your hand is revealed even before you get to do a draw, your opponent gets an entire turn to plan what they will do. As far as Chains go, I am not sure what to do with it. I know it's overpowered, but can't think of a proper way to fix it.

Vice Captain - I realize that now, but its effect also has the problem of making whatever Vice card you add useless that turn as well. I need to think of a new way to balance it that actually works.

Vice Grasp - Yeah, I just wanted to make an attack restriction card, and it was based more on a very old card I created than anything. Just an addition to flavor things.

Typically the vices are supposed to limit your own actions, and especially with Vice Hell it could be problematic to have cards that affect your opponent's cards in positive manner. If damage was doubled or something like that, then Vice Hell with Vice Ritual could create OTKs.

EDIT: Some combos I thought of is using Vice Ritual to summon 2 Vice Bat or 1 Vice Bat and 1 Vice Mage to gain a draw and then fix your hand, other than the obvious beatstick summoning. Or you could summon something else and a Vice Rat, destroy the two cards for Captain, get Rat's effect, and then use Captain's effect. Since Vices only apply after the effect has resolved for that turn, you can use Vice Rat to Special Summon a second monster that turn. However, you can't Special Summon for the remainder of the turn, and you wouldn't be able to resolve the effects of 2 Rats at once.

It still would be cheap & uninteresting to play against.

Vice Spark is quite powerful since you'll rarely need more than one, but I think it's OK.

Devi reminds me of Wind-Up Kitten. You'll usually be on the offensive so it's not incredibly useful.

Vice Squire has unusual design and synergizes with Chains.

Vice Ripple would be pretty devastating to any Duel Terminal Deck with Vice Prison.

Well, I figured since it lets your opponent choose that it isn't so horrible. In droves it would be a killer, but I dunno. Maybe give them the option to put it on the top of their deck instead?

I actually changed Devi's stats and ATK. I originally wanted to give it 500 ATK and stay Level 1, but I figured it was going to get killed anyways.

As far as Spark goes, I was unsure of what to do with it. I knew I wanted a Vice that recurred cards, but wasn't sure how to balance it, nor what to make its Vice, since most of the Vice cards already take care of the hand..

Archived