Flip Effect Support

Basically a way to use that mechanic all but lost. Tried to not support Morphing Jar so much.

Mimic Jar
Earth/Rock/2/200/300
FLIP: Select 1 Flip Effect monster in your Graveyard. This card gains and activates that monster's effect. The effect of "Mimic Jar" can only be activated once per turn.

Shadow Guard
Earth/Warrior/4/1800/900
FLIP: Decrease the ATK of 1 monster on the field by 800. If this effect was activated during your turn, your opponent must discard 1 card at random from their hand.

Intensity Flare
Fire/Pyro/3/500/1900
FLIP: Send the top 3 cards of both player's Decks to the Graveyard, then you may select banish 1 monster sent to the Graveyard by this effect and inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to that monster's Level x200.

Vassal of Shadows
Earth/Spellcaster/4/1700/1000
When this card is Normal Summoned, add 1 Flip Effect monster from your Deck to your hand.

Sage of Shadows
Dark/Spellcaster/8/2000/2800
This monster cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned by returning 3 Flip Effect monsters from your Graveyard to your Deck. Once per turn, you may change all other face-up monsters on the field into face-down Defense Position and Special Summon 1 monster from your hand or Graveyard in face-down Defense Position.

Flip Draw
Quick-Play Spell Card
Discard 1 Flip Effect Monster. Draw and reveal 2 cards. You cannot activate the effects of cards of the same name as the drawn cards for the remainder of the turn.

Book of Flip
Quick-Play Spell Card
Flip 1 face-up Flip Effect monster on the field face-down. That monster's battle position cannot be changed by other card effects for the remainder of the turn.

Seeping Shadows
Normal Spell Card
Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower monster from your Graveyard in face-down Defense Position. Its battle position cannot be changed this turn.

Monster Survey
Normal Trap Card
Flip all face-down monsters face-up. During the End Phase, flip all face-up Defense Position monsters on the field into face-down Defense Position. If 2 or more cards are flipped face-down by this effect, draw 1 card.

Mimic Jar = GENIUS

Balanced because it needs set-up to use, but powerful enough in utility of the graveyard. I love it.

Shadow Guard: Seems kind of awkward. Not broken, not underpowered. Just kind of awkward, can't really see consistent uses. Mind explaining?

Intensity Flare: Seems kinda like something for gallis otk? That's the only place i can see it being used, and it looks very good for the deck. Balanced, too.

Vassal: Not sure you thought this one through... Searches morphing jar. So Empty jar becomes ridiculously consistent.
Other than that though, it's fine. You could directly restrict it from getting jar, or another type of indirect restriction to shut down morphing. But you do NEED to avoid him somehow.

Sage: Seems pretty good, and balanced. Though personally, I would've made it able to flip up monsters the turn they are set, and able to flip itself down. That's just an alternative, i don't think your idea is any better or worse.

Flip Draw: Perhaps a bit underpowered. Also, don't really see a need for it to be a quickplay. I say make it a spell so you can buff the effect a tad more. Like maybe make the opponent choose which of the two you can't use instead of both?

Book of Flip: Nice reuse, but it seems kind of weak to me.

Seeping shadows: Great, might even be okay as a quickplay if you don't allow the summon of any more monsters that turn. Kind of like gateway to dark world, but flip effect decks can get around it by setting. But it's balanced fine as it is.

Monster Survey: GENIUS. I take it this a generic w meteorite? Worms always needed another, weaker one of those in my opinion.

Overall very balanced, and interesting card designs. I applaud you on your attempt to breathe life into a dying breed of monster :)

Flip Draw is a quick-play because that way it can act sort of like a flip effect monster itself. You can do two things with it: Activate it right away and get your draws, but not be able to use those cards, or activate it on your opponent's turn to avoid the downside and gain situational awareness.

There is no good way to balance Vassal unless I directly stated it couldn't choose Morphing Jar, so sadly, it's stuck like that.

I know Book of Flip is underpowered. Not sure how to give it a boost, though.

Archived