I got to go to a locals for the first time in forever today, and brought a super old[url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/295257-deck-for-locals-tomorrow-lily-stun/"] Lily Stun[/url] deck (which is currently posted in the deck section) that I had to remove banned cards from to play. I got to trade for some cards for the deck that i needed, but nobody had the Lances or Doomcals that I wanted. Most of the people there were playing competitive decks but not very keen to rulings, I had noticed. 90% of the cards i played people didn't know the effects of, even Giant Rat, so I got a surprise factor. Anyways, onto the report.

Match 1 - Vs Infernities
- Duel 1 - Infernities are my least favorite deck of all time. They topdeck like a mofo, and that's exactly what he did. I had him on the ropes with nothing in hand and only a useless Call on the field. He drew into Mirage and won.
- Duel 2 - I don't exactly remember how this game went, but all I remember is managing to swap over his Uruquizas (or however it's spelled) and eventually beat him down to 0. He had too many monsters in his opening hand.
- Duel 3 - It seemed to be going my way for a bit as he gets everything beat down and holds a Dark Grepher on the field. On his turn he ditches his General and ends up synchroing into a bunch for game.

Record: 0-1

Match 2 - vs Chaos Piper
- Duel 1 - He gets nothing but a Tour Guide the entire game and loses fairly quickly, and I have no idea what he's playing. I side for Dino Rabbit because he used Tour Guide with Night Assailant.
- Duel 2 - We get late into the game and he is sitting there with a Jowgen the Spiritualist I swapped over to him for a few turns with 1300 LPs. He summons Veiler and proceeds to attempt a Synchro Summon. I tell him that he can't, because even though Jowgen would be leaving the field, you can't attempt a summon in the first place. Everyone else agrees with him, so I get butt F'd and later lose to Gorz
- Duel 3 - I have him locked down after a Karma Cut gets rid of a Meklord he had managed to summon, but don't know that we are in time until he mentions it. He managed to do some damage to me because I didn't think it mattered, and then he tells me we have 2 turns left until I'm declared loser. I have nothing I could do to win, so I just scooped.

Record 0-2 Very bad so far, but at least both of my games were 2-1 and not 2-0. At this point I can't get into the semi-finals, but there's no point in dropping out.

Match 3 - vs Six Sams
- Duel 1 - He gets double gateway first turn, Kagemusha and Ascentism, spams the field and when I can't do anything with my draw I scoop. Six Spams are my third least favorite deck.
- Duel 2 - I end up using Book of Moon on him when he tries to go for Shien, and MP2 he tries to flip the card I just flipped down. He says he can, but I know he can't and he continues. Next up I summon Psychic Commander, who alongside Spirit Reaper get to attack into an empty field for 3 turns for game. At one point earlier in the duel he had decided to attack Commander instead of Jowgen, to which I tell him if he does then his monster will die. He does stuff like this a few times, but I let him change his mind each.
- Duel 3 - He summons Shien first turn. I go for Lily and attack it. He tries to activate Fiendish Chain during the damage step, AFTER I play Life Points, but I said he can't. I said I will let him activate it beforehand though. I chain MST and forget that Shien can just negate it, and he complains when I ask if it's alright I change my mind since I let him change his mind so many times. He does let me though, boasting "he has game". I set 4 backrow and compulse to force negate, then Torrential the field when he summons. I manage to get Lily and Giant Rat on the field later, and he doesn't understand that I can use her effect when attacking directly, but takes the damage anyways. Next he destroys my Giant Rat with a Kizan and I summon Grand Mole. When I go to attack next turn with Mole he activates Shien's Squire? He doesn't even understand what's going on and that I'm using Mole's effect, and when I start to explain there's no point he ragequits.

Record 2-1 Yay, I got my first win, and against a deck I hate the most! Didn't draw into any of the sides I had for it, but the situation for them didn't arise anyways. In one of the last 2 duels I ended up banishing Shien with Caius, which made me happy.

Match 4 - vs Hero Ninjas?
- Duel 1 - It's a younger kid, and while I had seen he was playing Ninjas, I wasn't sure what kind exactly. I know now that he is using Anti-Spell Fragrance and Dark Simorgh. At one point I Heavy Storm all of it and make him upset. I also compulsed his Upstart, then Booked it the next time. I end up winning through beatdown.
- Duel 2 - I side in Trap Stun, which I draw right away. Set it and JuJu. He attacks JuJu and gets bounced. Not sure exactly what happened next, but a turn or so later he activates Art of Super Transformation. I chain Trap Stun, and am confused as to why he didn't use the Art he searched for before. Maybe he thinks it will be negated. Anyways, I summon Commander and attack over Hanzo. Some turns later I end up with a crappy hand of Scapegoat and Creature Swap when he has a 0 ATK Trag and a Simorgh on the field. I have 100 left and have to attack Trag and swap over Spirit Reaper (which he says I can't do, but someone else corrects him). I end up sitting 2 turns with nothing to do, and he can't do anything either, and eventually he activates face-down Double Summon of all things and brings out Excalibur Knight to beat over Simorgh. I felt crappy for doing such a bad move, and probably should have waited.
- Duel 3 - I end up getting the advantage early on with Lily for a direct attack, he Dark Holes me and goes for a direct attack, I Scapegoat. Next turn I Creature Swap a goat to him and get the Alius he was playing (only the second time he had summoned it) and summon Grand Mole. He says he doesn't have anything and scoops, revealing a Miracle Fusion, Heavy Storm, and MST in hand.

Record 2-2 So I ended up breaking even due to inexperienced players. At least I didn't get completely shut out. I don't qualify for the semi-finals, sadly.

Decks I knew of present:
1 Wind-Ups
1 Six Sam
1 Infernities
1 Hero Ninja
1 Chaos Piper
1 Madolche
1 Dark World
1 Ratbox (Me)
2 Lightsworns

End up trading for 3 Fossil Dynas, Seal of Orichalcos, Mirror Force, Dark Bribe, and Zenmaines, as well as Chain Energy, Necroface, and some others for my Dreadroot, Toon DMG, and a Pot of Avarice ultimate. Everyone wanted my ultimate Solemn Warning, but the guy I was going to get Tour Guide for it didn't want to make the trade. I wasn't sure if it was fair for either side, to be honest.

I don't know if Dark Worlds did. I traded the guy who was playing Dark Worlds, and I think he said he wasn't in the semi-finals. Madolches were in the semi-finals, and the guy knew what he was doing and was winning when I left the tourney. So I'd say they did well.

Something to add is that this is the first tournament I have played where you can side cards, so that was something I had to try and do correctly.

[quote name='Zeppeli Gyro Supreme' timestamp='1357442512' post='6112451']
I don't know if Dark Worlds did. I traded the guy who was playing Dark Worlds, and I think he said he wasn't in the semi-finals. Madolches were in the semi-finals, and the guy knew what he was doing and was winning when I left the tourney. So I'd say they did well.

Something to add is that this is the first tournament I have played where you can side cards, so that was something I had to try and do correctly.
[/quote]
I'm really interested in the Madolche deck...Is it posted somewhere so I can have a look at the build?
Also, I gotta say for a first tournament you did really well, you have a lot of knowledge, despite a few mix-up I had seen there...

Yeah, I thought that Tour Guide was worth more and that Warning was worth less now, but it's held onto its value surprisingly well.

Anyways, I had made a few mistakes throughout the duel, such as attacking into Gorz when I should have just set, and that part with the MST. Though now I remember that if I had let him negate MST I could have swapped his Shien for my Lily. I was too worried about the current situation, though, and lost sight of the broader aspect of the duel.

That did give me a really good idea, though. Faking out a Six Sam player by having set Spells so when you activate something they negate it, only for you to flip a face-down spell. It might not work, and it would only work once, but hey, any advantage you can get.

I don't know where anyone who was there goes to online, so I couldn't tell you if the deck list was posted or not. I'll ask next time, though that won't be for a while, considering the next tournament I am working that day.

EDIT: Another mistake I made was wasting a Smashing Ground on a Cyber Dragon when I could have just made Chimeratech Fortress Dragon with it. Didn't remember that until now. I'm not used to actually being able to play it.

Archived