Why Don't People Comment?

Premier Alexander Romanov

Question

I'm sure there are tons of incentive things that can be given. However, the biggest thing I can think of is to review/comment on cards. It gets your name out there so people see your threads and want to check out your stuff.

But I haven't been in CC for 2-3 years.

EDIT: Also, I'm not implying you are. But I'm sure there are some that think this way.

I don't even know why I come to this site anymore.
I keep getting the feeling like I don't belong, and that I'm a relic from a bygone era before the status bar was the only thing that mattered in most peoples' eyes.
Yet I stay here because I have been here for 5 years, and I don't really have any other online community to go to.

[quote name="Gendo Ikari" post="6255142" timestamp="1376260063"]I don't even know why I come to this site anymore.I keep getting the feeling like I don't belong, and that I'm a relic from a bygone era before the status bar was the only thing that mattered in most peoples' eyes.Yet I stay here because I have been here for 5 years, and I don't really have any other online community to go to.[/quote] Who says you need an online community? You could probably do just fine without one.

edit2: don't forget to blame the advanced clause for the lack of comments too

lol nice card

haha 10/10 would use

ur card has too much atk power its op lol

that deck is silly too many monsters :)

see the point of advance clause yet?

If you want useful and interesting comments then the advanced clause works. But if you want shitty spam then go ahead and ignore it.

I am aware of this sort of phenomenon.

Firstly, it is NOT exclusive to this site, nor to any section of this site specifically. It is not a case of certain people being rejected or isolated by their peers, although it is easy to feel that way after a set amount of time of experiencing this.

By human nature, people want to express themselves. This can be writing, artwork, card making, etc. Sure, they can appreciate the results themselves, but the impact is greatly diminished, especially if you are an artistic person. Artists, by nature, are fickle perfectionists. Anything they don't personally feel themselves is flawless is junk, even if it's wonderful. This puts a great deal of stress on the person, and because their own standards are too harsh on themselves, they could drive themselves nuts getting the perfect piece done.

This is where feedback is a blessing and a curse. By managing to be satisfied enough to distribute their work, they face one of three major obstacles.

1) People don't like it/People BASH it. Sometimes, these criticisms are simply unfair, but ultimately, it must be accepted: No matter how good you are, or how hard you work, or how much fame you've accumulated, there will always be people who simply hate the results and will happily, almost gleefully, mock you, the work, or everyone who likes the work. Sometimes, this will be a stepping stone to improvement. Other times, you simply have to disregard it, because latching onto all feedback will crush your soul fast.

2) People like it. Why is this an obstacle? Because people who enjoy the work will tell you so, and that's usually the end of it. You may have praise heaped upon you, or just an off-hand comment about how it's good. This is a fantastic ego boost...but the half-life for ego-boost highs are short, and unless they give you more constructive feedback than that, you are actually gaining nothing from this feedback. It takes time for artists to realize this, though, and they risk developing the mindset that Praise > Constructive Criticism = Bashing. If it's not praise, it's worthless. Worst possible mindset, and can easily lead to arrogance, which will doom your reputation. When you reach a stage where someone saying "This is good, keep it up" and you sigh to yourself and forget the comment in minutes...you've evolved as an artist, and you will rapidly descend into hell because the only thing worse than meaningless praise is next up, and you know this one all too well.

3) No feedback at all. This is frustrating as hell, as artists have spent innumerable hours (or 20 seconds, doesn't matter) and is not even acknowledged. To them, their hours of time, their eternities of frustration due to their high standards, was not worth anything to those who see their work. It wasn't even worth them being told it was awful, that's how meaningless it was. This is especially difficult for people who have gathered a following, and may have come to rely on feedback to feel good about themselves and to motivate them to continue working and sharing. Without any feedback, even that worthless tidbit above, they will feel that no one cares, and in turn, will resent the fanbase they had gathered. "Didn't they still love the work? Why were they so vocal before, so valuable before, but now have succumbed to silence? Am I doing worse now?"

That's the thing. You become your own worst enemy.

But evilfusion! I never had a fanbase!

If you're telling me this, you're wasting your time griping about something that can't be changed. People will always start out at the bottom rung. You have to earn a fanbase. You have to earn it by being diligent and having good quality. There will be stretches where you had hits, but no comments. Suck it up. You HAVE to do it that way, because everyone does. The people who post something and get flooded with comments usually are the people who have something atrociously bad and it's easy to mock. They might become something better if they learn their errors, or they'll drop out at obstacle one and never improve.

Remember, it's easier to criticize someone's flaws, or mindlessly tell them something is good. You don't want to rely on either of these. People who give you this type of feedback are not helping you, but they are not people to shun, either. You want solid, constructive feedback, and that will start from people telling you something is BAD, and why it's bad, or how it can be better. The people willing to do this are the people who will loyally help you in the future. They're rare, though, and possibly inconsistent.

tl;dr: ...That's extremely appropriate. Thank you.

No problem.

As a footnote, some people genuinely don't leave feedback. They don't want to, and they don't feel obligated to comment on everything they experience. That's normal.

Also, if people see something, and can't find anything particularly obvious to correct, or particularly amazing to gush over, they don't have anything to say. That's why some Decks in Your Deck will rarely get comments: The Deck is either too obscure for most people to be able to pinpoints flaws or areas to improve, or the Deck is too bland, or outdated to warrant mention from experts and if people don't know enough about the topic to be confident in their own comments, they'd just as well NOT leave comments.

I do the same thing, and I mod the section. Heck, my topics rarely get comments. I don't really let it bother me.

I'd start by learning the key decks of the format, though the format is about the change. (this can be gained through a status or posting a thread in TCG). Google searching for decks and such would start you off, then DN/DevPro to test.

Other than that, constantly lurking yugioh forums. DGZ, pojo, and YCM are what I use.

This is basically my method for staying up to date.

Archived