Field Card Contest (Finished)

wightpower

Alright guys, that's it. Entries are closed! Those of you who finished a card (Avaren, chriosphere, Faytl, poseidonbt, and TFMegamanian), thanks for all your hard work. I'll begin judging these, and I'll reveal the results in the next few days. Since no one donated any points, there is no point prize, but I'll give out reps or whatever you need.

Sorry this took so long, but I'm finally able to sit down and judge your entries. Since there are no prizes, I'm going to write a review of each of your card and how I felt about each of them, in order from the one I liked the least, to the one I liked the most (i.e., the winner of the contest). Before I begin, I first want to say that I liked all of the entries, but some earned more points than others.

chriosphere: Future City is an excellent Machine-type support card, but you fell into a pitfall I was trying to warn you guys about. In my mind, a good field spell is one that affects both players equally, without having a distinct advantage for the controller over their opponent. Otherwise, a field spell that only benefits the controller is little more than a continuous spell with its own card zone. Great image that evokes the simple name with tons of zeerust and a classic scifi appeal that earns you a lot of points, but it couldn't make me like the card more than the other entries. Even though it is a simple and potent support card with great mobility to recycle itself, it comes off as too advantageous for the controller and offers no benefit to the opponent at all (you even had the middle effect worded that it actually harms your opponent in case they also use Machine-type monsters).

TFMegamanian: This is a great ritual support card, and if this actually existed I could definitely see my favorite blue pieces of cardboard getting some more use in the game. Like the above, though, Temple of Rituals doesn't allow the opponent to do anything, so it doesn't quite feel like a field spell to me. I also feel like the final effect o the card should be by choice. It feels weird being compulsory like that.

Poseidonbt: Your entry was a lot of fun. You really went outside the box with the effect and that scored major points with me. Great idea for a card. The only thing I held against you was that, once again, the effect only benefitted the controller of the spell. Allowing both players to manipulate the unorthodox effect would knock the zany fun level of any duel up a few notches.

Faytl: This was another really fun idea, and a great use of, as is probably getting old by now, letting both players benefit from the card. I can't say for sure why this didn't win, but it is an extremely close second-place. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it, but it comes across as more roundabout and complex than the winner, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm a simple rube. It's an excellent card with an effect that allows either player to shift and manipulate the course of the duel on every turn. Very well done.

Avaren: I'm usually against any instant-win-conditions, but this one was very fun. While I'm sure the guys in charge of banlists would make this card forbidden in a heartbeat, it's a card I'd love to see in the real game. The idea behind it felt very clever and unique, so I think you deserve the win for this.

That's about it. I'd like to thank you guys for taking part in what was otherwise a random throwaway contest. Hope to see you all again for the next one.

Archived