An Experimental Contest (Finished) (next contest underway)

SunKistRebelution

How's this one?

[spoiler='Warden #2'] eCRVdiB.jpg
[spoiler='Lore'] 3 Dragon-type + 1 Warrior-type monsters
Once per Turn: Target 1 Dragon-type monster under your control. Equip that target to this card. This card's ATK becomes 1.5x that of the equipped card. This card can only have 1 card equipped. [/spoiler][/spoiler]

Complete Puzzle

Rock/Warden/Effect

Level 1

EARTH

0/1200

2 Rank 1 monsters

While this card is face-up on the field, all non-Xyz Monsters on the field are treated as Level 0. If this face-up card is destroyed by your opponent: You can target 1 of your Banished monsters used for this card's Warden Summon; Special Summon it, then if it was an Xyz Monster: Attach this card to it as an Xyz Material.

Yay, I actually got an entry in.

All very interesting submissions. When this contest ends, I'll have my hands full reviewing them all. Keep up the good work! Also, for those of your who have participated, would you be interested in doing another round of this contest? It would be in a new topic with a slightly different premise and new prize as well. Let me know.

All very interesting submissions. When this contest ends, I'll have my hands full reviewing them all. Keep up the good work! Also, for those of your who have participated, would you be interested in doing another round of this contest? It would be in a new topic with a slightly different premise and new prize as well. Let me know.

Sure I do! Just tell when :)

Spoilered by creator; each card rated separately, however.

[spoiler: -Someone-]

[spoiler: Crimson Marauder]

Cost: Nicely done. For a very good ATK and DEF, you supplied a specific card along with some generic secondary Wards. Appropriate for stats. Not proportionate for effect. (7/10)

Effect Summary: So, essentially, this guy shuts down any Tribute, (higher) Special, (higher than Paladin) Ritual or Synchro Summoning, with the added bonus of taking out any ability to get out higher ranked XYZs. All this from the Graveyard, hand, Deck or Extra Deck. On top of this, should your opponent already have something out to loophole this effect, as long as its not a normal monster, this thing can take a moderate stat loss to eliminate it. Massively broken, no matter what you make the cost. (1/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Good. You clearly understand that the primary point here is to revive the lost era of Main Deck boss monsters. That said, you went quite a bit overboard. (7/10)

Total: (15/30)

Notes:  For the cost, the stats are all right, as long as its effect isn't super ridiculous... Oh crap, it is. My opinion: nix the first effect altogether. If you allow this guy to shut down the effect of higher level/rank monsters and destroy them, it'll work fine. Its got great stats with a decent cost, but if you just kept the second effect, it would be a much, much more balanced card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Crimson Archer]

Cost: Good. Again, the specific mention along with a more generic secondary Ward is nice based on its stats. (8/10)

Effect Summary: Total Defense Shogun with less attack and a balanced destruction effect that burns you for it. I like. (8/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Very middle of the road as strength goes. Even though its more of a defensive strategy, I can see this being an integral Main Deck monster with a focus other than ridiculous swarming. All right. (4/10)

Total: (20/30)

Notes: Much more balanced than your first attempt! More defensive, sure, but that isn't a bad thing. Not understanding the whole 'Crimson' connection between the two. Would love to see a Warden-focused archetype develop, though. Particularly with a more centralized focus.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Dark Fetus]

[spoiler: Carlimane the Pure]

Cost: Very appropo. With non-legendary stats and a moderately useful effect, particularly against the DARK decks out there (not that up to date but Chaos and Dark World come to mind). Solid determination. (8/10)

Effect Summary: Beats on DARK and Fiend-types. Very anti Dark World. Attacks Part of Chaos, too. Maybe of some use versus moderate ATK Extra Deck monsters of the DARK variety. Perfectly fine; nothing extraordinary. (6/10

Understanding of Warden Concept: Pretty good. Could definitely see this run at least in a side to be a focus against the aforementioned opponents. Pretty solid strength. Not really a boss monster, but shifts focus toward getting out Main Deck monsters. (6/10)

Total: (20/30)

Notes: Kind of run-of-the-mill as cards go. I totally understand that the monster type is underdeveloped due to its massively recent creation, but could stand to have a more varied focus than it does. Sorry for my lack of very specific commentary on this, as I really am not THAT in touch with the current game.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Master of Dragons]

Cost: Very dragoncentric, rather solid though. Potential stats clearly included as a forethought. (7/10)

Effect Summary: Self-equipping your dragons to gain substantial ATK. Can it unequip them as well? That isn't mentioned. What happens if this is attacked and it has no equipment? Maybe 0 as a base ATK would be better. Works as a heavy beater but requires you to have another dragon out. (6/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Very good. Master is in the name. Main Deck boss is written all over it. Strong monsters do not have to be indestructible! This clearly illustrates that. (9/10)

Total: (22/30) 

Notes: Dragons need no more support. Despite the fact that this is a well made and designed card. My personal opinion wants to poop all  over it because dragons are ridiculously OPed at the moment in the current game. Keep that in mind for future manufacture of cards. I objectively like the design, despite all of my ranting and raving.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Hikari-chan]

[spoiler: White Dragon Diva]

Cost: Great. Maybe a little overmuch. However, it does definitely come back to balance it with the effect. Well orchestrated, indeed. (10/10)

Effect Summary: Tribute fodder for Hieratics and other light dragons, maybe from Chaos. Burns you before granting a nice bonus to whatever you get on the field. Could be strategically used. Major abuse potential, though, despite relative balance. (6/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Brings the focus back to the Main Deck with authority, having an effect that focuses on Tribute Summoning. In no way a boss card, but that is more than okay because of the provided functionality. (7/10)

Total: (23/30)

Notes: I said it before; I will say it again. STOP. HELPING. DRAGONS. Particularly Hieratics and other Light ones. This clearly has a support target in mind, which is nice to see. Well done, on the whole.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Brave Valkyrie]

Cost: Fine for stats. Its probably similar in balance to your last one--scratch that. Two materials for an all but indestructible card? (6/10)

Effect Summary: Can't be killed ever by anything except multiple attacks. Warrants higher cost or downgrade of invincible-ness. (5/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Apart from really losing it on the balance of this card, I see you are understanding the point of the monster type's design. This could definitely be something that a person's deck focuses on (with fine tuning, of course). (6/10)

Total: (17/30)

Notes: Super, super unfair. As a Special Summon that only your opponent can't kill with card effects, but that can be boosted by your own, it's too much of a powerhouse. That said, for a higher cost with more specificity as well, it could keep everything else and come out right near the line in the sand for fairness. Consider that.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: EPTinYugi]

[spoiler: ZWxy: Chaotic Draco Arms]

Cost: Very specific. Should probably be Rank 4 only, however, as level 4 synchros and fusions are not a hefty enough cost for this big lug. (7/10) could be 8 or 9 with that change.

Effect Summary: Unions to chaos xyzs to give them extra material and ATK boost on the point that they have to destroy a monster by battle. Nails you for 500 points if equipped detaches. Relatively fine cost. Loophole can get around it though. Should say that Armed Counters counting as materials have the 500 LP cost. That way you can't just resummon this guy the next turn and avoid all costs. (7/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept:  This card most certainly doesn't bring the focus back to the Main Deck. Its an okay beater but helps out XYZs and chaos XYZs. Sure it is a creative use of a way to get around having to Normal Summon a high level Main Deck monster, but this guy is neither the boss nor does it shift the focus. It merely furthers the unfortunate epidemic of XYZ and chaos XYZ. Sorry. (2/10)

Total: (16/30)

Notes: Helps the Extra Deck well. Adds support to chaos xyz, which is growing rapidly. Missed the point, unfortunately. Very decent and not too harmful card. OCG could use a little more work and research.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: liavcol]

[spoiler: Knight HERO Robotic Warden]

Cost: Very unspecific and easy cost for a relatively weak monster. Fine enough--wait a minute. This thing essentially ends up being a +2... Probably needs another Ward. (6/10)

Effect Summary: However this thing leaves the field, it brings you two small monsters, essentially an automatic XYZ summon. Very easily abusable. Should require destruction as opposed to making Tribute Summon an absolute nightmare for your opponent. Can be fixed by adding an "of different levels" clause to the summoned monsters. (6/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Does bring attention to the main deck. Unfortunately, its primary focus is swarming, a mechanic all too often used by the archetypes of today. Not a boss monster, either. Does facilitate tribute summoning of one, however. (6/10)

Total: (18/30)

Notes: Whoops, already said all my notes in the above. Read that, then.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Unsterblich Schriftsteller]

[spoiler: Complete Puzzle]

Cost: Beautifully done. Decent number of materials of lower value for a low stat monster with very beneficial effect. (9/10)

Effect Summary: Everything is level 0; thus no xyzing and no ritualing and no synchroing, for either player. Gives you back a low value xyz upon destruction, if that monster has been moved from the banished zone to the graveyard. May have missed the part where the Wards get banished instead of sent to the grave. Still good though. (8/10)

Understanding of Warden Concept: Fantastic. Shifts focus away from extra deck heavily. manages to really cripple your opponent's summoning capability for a short while. Not a boss monster, nor does it facilitate one, but it understands the purpose of the monster type. (8/10)

Total: (25/30)

Notes: I think you may have misunderstood where Wards used to summon it are supposed to go. Other than that, this is a great card. Even when it is destroyed you get a little bonus. Fair and equally effects both players. A gem, despite being written and having no picture to go along with it.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

That brings us to the prizes:

1st place: Unsterblich Schriftsteller with Warden: Complete Puzzle

2nd place: Hikari-chan with Warden: White Dragon Diva

3rd place: Dark Fetus with Warden: Master of Dragons

I should have deducted points from the last two for helping out dragons when they need none, but the purpose of the contest was best fulfilled by those cards. Thank you all for participating. I may sprinkle 5 points around to a few of you who deserved honorable mention...

So here is my next contest for those who were looking to participate. It still has a focus on Warden Monsters. http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/309437-continued-experiment-contest/

I'd also really like if y'all could post updated versions of your Wardens here or send me a pic of them. By updated, I am referring to the suggestions I made regarding their balance having been applied. Thanks again!

Archived